GM News: Mark Reuss Takes On Role of President of GM

Aside from announcing fourth-quarter sales numbers, General Motors had another big announcement today. GM's Product chief Mark Reuss will succeed Dan Ammann as the company's president. The appointment is effective immediately according to the company. 

“I am very proud to have spent my entire career at General Motors, and to now take on this new role is truly a great honor. With our current lineup of outstanding cars, trucks, and crossovers around the world, I’m looking forward to keeping our momentum going at full speed,” said Reuss in a statement.

In November, GM announced Ammann would step down as GM President to take charge of GM's Cruise Automation unit.

Reuss will still be overseeing GM's Global Product Group and Cadillac, but will also add the responsibility for GM's quality organization. He will also be tasked with building out a product development team that will focus on autonomous and electrified vehicles.

Source: General Motors

Mark Reuss Named General Motors President

DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today announced the appointment of Mark Reuss as company president, effective immediately. Reuss currently leads the Global Product Group and Cadillac and will now assume responsibility for the Quality organization.

“Mark’s global operational experience, deep product knowledge and strong leadership will serve us well as we continue to strengthen our current business, take advantage of growth opportunities and further define the future of personal mobility,” said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra. “Mark has played a critical role in leading the development of the company’s award-winning vehicles while transitioning his team to prepare for growing electrification and autonomous technologies.”

According to Reuss, “I am very proud to have spent my entire career at General Motors, and to now take on this new role is truly a great honor. With our current lineup of outstanding cars, trucks and crossovers around the world, I’m looking forward to keeping our momentum going at full speed.”

Reuss added responsibilities for Cadillac and global portfolio planning in June 2018. Since then, he has been building an integrated product development and Cadillac organization to support an accelerated product and technology launch cadence and the brand’s global growth plans. Cadillac will be introducing a new vehicle every six months through 2021.

Reuss has also been leading the transformation of the company’s global product development workforce and processes to drive world-class levels of engineering in advanced technologies and improve quality and speed to market. He is doubling the resources allocated to electric and autonomous vehicle programs in the next two years.

View full article

Exactly.  Why should I help GM ruin what I like about them... by buying something from them?  I feel like I've been duped, and I do not like that atall.  They think they have us by the balls.  Ram makes a sweet truck.  Jeep makes a great CUV/SUV.  Screw GM with their electric/autonomous BS.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Exactly.  Why should I help GM ruin what I like about them... by buying something from them?  I feel like I've been duped, and I do not like that atall.  They think they have us by the balls.  Ram makes a sweet truck.  Jeep makes a great CUV/SUV.  Screw GM with their electric/autonomous BS.

I really love Jeep. Were I to be buying an SUV...Jeep it would be.

Explorer and Escape are decent products also in their segment.

38 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Save the CT6, even if the flagship is nowadays the Escalade.  The FWD sedans can safely die.  We need the CT6 badly.

We really do.

• Agree 1

The Edge is pretty good too.   

Disclaimer: By me saying that the Edge is pretty good and agreeing that Explorer and Escape are good in no way does it mean I like CUVs and SUVs.   

I havent been inside GM's latest CUVs and SUVs or driven them for me to form an opinion on them, but I can say that if I was into CUVs and SUVs, I would without a shadow of a doubt trust Ford's CUvs and SUVs.  

Back to GM.

I really like Mark Ruess.  Something about Dan Amman I did not like.  I do not know what it is about Dan that I did not like. Probably his lack of vision on the marketing of his brands and vehicles.  I hope Mark does a better job at that. 

Mark is a true car guy.  It may pain @ocnblu, but maybe the electric future GM is betting on, Mark could put some car guy DNA into them. Make them more Tesla in terms of sporty ride and acceleration (on certain EV models), rather than bland Prius...maybe he could better differentiate which EVs need to be more Tesla-like and which ones need to be more Prius-like and execute them properly. 

Hopefully, he would not be spreading himself too thin as GM needs to have Cadillac running at a superior pace in terms of quality and vision, and the whole EV thing. Well, GM is literally betting the farm on them, so the EVs HAVE to be nothing but the best!  

• Agree 2

There is no natural personality in an electric motor.  Any uniqueness will need to be added artificially.  It will be no more exciting than a generic Power Wheels chassis with a silhouette body hung on it of any number of styles.  Gag.Me.With.A.Spoon.  No way in hell, Paco.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

There is no natural personality in an electric motor.  Any uniqueness will need to be added artificially.  It will be no more exciting than a generic Power Wheels chassis with a silhouette body hung on it of any number of styles.  Gag.Me.With.A.Spoon.  No way in hell, Paco.

It's a crying shame you don't have children. Someone five hundred years in the future could get a kick out of watching your descendants whine and moan about how electric wheeled cars are being replaced with fission powered Jetsonesque flying cars.

And my electric powered stationary tools in my workshop would like a word with you about nothing electric powered having personality.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It's a crying shame you don't have children. Someone five hundred years in the future could get a kick out of watching your descendants whine and moan about how electric wheeled cars are being replaced with fission powered Jetsonesque flying cars.

And my electric powered stationary tools in my workshop would like a word with you about nothing electric powered having personality.

You are so true, it is amazing the personality even between my electric drills that I have.

Electric has just as much personality as ICE. We just have to have open minds, eyes, ears to see the differences.

Funny thing is over the holidays was doing some home repair and I have two identical 18v cordeless drills and one tends to have a grunt noise to it where the other is much higher pitched whir noise. Both have never failed me and yet while they look identical and both do their job, they clearly have their own personality of noises. lol

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, ocnblu said:

why can't they do both.  take risk and invest for the innovation.  don't skim the R&D money off the successful products and not put it back into the big sellers.

what is GM's payoff for dumping all this money of R&D into autonomous and electric?  are they just doing this out of the kindness of their heart or did the government hold them ransom to do this?  Or is it for PR reasons?

Infuriates me that all this money going into electrics and autonomous and no one can say when in the future i can stop anywhere on the highways, plug in my car for 3 minutes, and fully charge to 300 mile range (that doesn't die in cold weather).  Until that day is known, GM still has to put full effort into their ICE cars and make them competitive.  Just now we'll get chevy blazer for example.  where ford edge and murano have been around forever.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Its one thing to humanize a dog. At least its living and breathing. Its another to humanize an object. 

If you really want personality in your transportation medium,  horses are the way to go.  Im not trying to be funny,  just pointing out that an inanimate object have no personalities...

1. I am against 'humanizing' animals. I like 'em, there's a couple living here, but they're not 'children' and they're not 'human'.  And in case anyone was wondering, I also hate 'talking dog' commercials.
2. Inanimate objects sometimes DO have personalities.  Frankly, I get more enjoyment out of a choice inanimate object than I do out of an animal.  And the inanimate object doesn't even have to make noise/run for it's personality to shine out.  I thought you guys were car people? ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, regfootball said:

no one can say when in the future i can stop anywhere on the highways, plug in my car for 3 minutes, and fully charge to 300 mile range (that doesn't die in cold weather).  

I am not aware of any ICE auto that can refill in 3 minutes with 300 miles of range. XFC does bring 400 miles of range in 15 min and that should go down over the next few years as solid state batteries with capacitor storage is added to EVs. The charging infrastructure is extensive and growing daily. It is just a matter of time, much as it was with ICE auto's in the early 1900's when you had to think about where a gas station was to make sure you had enough fuel for trips, now at least even if there is no XFC or level 4 charger, there are usually Level 3 DC or level 2 charges to be found and always Level 1 or 110 V chargers so an EV can get power always in the 21st century.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

..much as it was with ICE auto's in the early 1900's when you had to think about where a gas station was to make sure you had enough fuel for trips...

Dave- you keep trotting this out as if it were unequivocal. 1. Early 1900s autos were not taken on long trips- there was zero highways and very very few paved roads; you actually couldn't get very far if you wanted to. They were only used for occasional local drives; they were not depended on as transportation by & large. 2. You discount the then-plentiful farms having various fuels on hand, and early cars were simplistic enough to run on a variety of fuels. There was no range anxiety back then.

Still, a number of determined motorists completed cross-country trips in the very early years:
https://www.wired.com/2016/05/tale-epic-coast-coast-road-trip-1903/

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, dfelt said:

I am not aware of any ICE auto that can refill in 3 minutes with 300 miles of range. XFC does bring 400 miles of range in 15 min and that should go down over the next few years as solid state batteries with capacitor storage is added to EVs. The charging infrastructure is extensive and growing daily. It is just a matter of time, much as it was with ICE auto's in the early 1900's when you had to think about where a gas station was to make sure you had enough fuel for trips, now at least even if there is no XFC or level 4 charger, there are usually Level 3 DC or level 2 charges to be found and always Level 1 or 110 V chargers so an EV can get power always in the 21st century.

So if it takes 15 years or 25 years to get to that point why divert all the resources to the stuff that won’t sell for 15-25 years. Let that development support itself. Gm still has to build and develop competitive ICE  lines of cars and trucks that are among the best offerings out there until that time, and they need those R&D resources to do that. You cannot lose your market share by not reinvesting In What people want to buy now. 

Edited by regfootball

23 hours ago, balthazar said:

1. I am against 'humanizing' animals. I like 'em, there's a couple living here, but they're not 'children' and they're not 'human'.  And in case anyone was wondering, I also hate 'talking dog' commercials.

You and me both!  I especially HATE IT!!! 🤬 when people dress up their dogs....

2. Inanimate objects sometimes DO have personalities.  Frankly, I get more enjoyment out of a choice inanimate object than I do out of an animal.  And the inanimate object doesn't even have to make noise/run for it's personality to shine out.

I understand FULLY!!!  @dfelt  mentioned his drills...

I too, have my favorite tools.

A Black and Decker Fire Storm cordless drill, that I absolutely refuse to give up.  I love it!!! But Im also on my 3rd Ni-Ca battery on it that I bought for it. 50 bucks. I could buy a brand new Lithion battery powered Ryobi or Makita or whatever...but that Black and Decker, its been with me since 1994. We've been through a lot.  I bought it for my dad.XMAS gift. He used it a lot. I used it a lot. As long as I could always buy a Ni-Ca battery for it, I will never let it go. 

Plus...with my cars that Ive owned. There is ALWAYS a sad moment when I replace them with something new. I aint happy for a new car. Im saddened that Im departing with the old one. I actually cried when I traded in my Olds Alero for the Impala I bought. 

I thought you guys were car people? ;)

I just confessed to crying over my Olds Alero when I gave it up for another car.  I think that qualifies. 

But, let us be real here. Anthropomorphism is what is happening here.  Inanimate objects do not have personalities. We as humans, assign personalities to them. 

But...animals actually DO have personalities for real...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

I’ve been known to put sweaters on dogs when it’s really cold... and I definitely let them on the furniture. 

As far as getting sads when selling an old car, I did kind of miss my old Jeep when I traded March 31, 2017.   But I’d had it almost 17 years and 170k miles...it was at the point where I didn’t trust it anymore and it would needed expensive repairs. Pic below taken the day I traded it. 

74EFA529-8FE4-4DA7-95B4-D711A2D73609.jpeg

6C6E94A7-260F-4725-B3A1-DBB6DBCC5372.jpeg

888F9565-ED95-4663-8FCB-59EE74CCA6F9.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I’ve been known to put sweaters on dogs when it’s really cold... and I definitely let them on the furniture. 

As far as getting sads when selling an old car, I did kind of miss my old Jeep when I traded March 31, 2017.   But I’d had it almost 17 years and 170k miles...it was at the point where I didn’t trust it anymore and it would needed expensive repairs. Pic below taken the day I traded it. 

74EFA529-8FE4-4DA7-95B4-D711A2D73609.jpeg

6C6E94A7-260F-4725-B3A1-DBB6DBCC5372.jpeg

888F9565-ED95-4663-8FCB-59EE74CCA6F9.jpeg

Foot in mouth....regarding hating when people put clothes on dogs.  LOL  

But that little fella, yeah, poor guy. He probably gets just as cold as we do in freezing cold weather... I guess I could be more sensitive...LOL

On 1/4/2019 at 6:27 PM, balthazar said:

Dave- you keep trotting this out as if it were unequivocal. 1. Early 1900s autos were not taken on long trips- there was zero highways and very very few paved roads; you actually couldn't get very far if you wanted to. They were only used for occasional local drives; they were not depended on as transportation by & large. 2. You discount the then-plentiful farms having various fuels on hand, and early cars were simplistic enough to run on a variety of fuels. There was no range anxiety back then.

Still, a number of determined motorists completed cross-country trips in the very early years:
https://www.wired.com/2016/05/tale-epic-coast-coast-road-trip-1903/

I will have to agree to disagree, we have history but nothing other than a few stories of coast to coast trips and there people like EV drivers of today probably planned to be in places where there were no fuels and farms DID NOT have storage systems of various fuels like today as you point out there were not really any transportation systems. 

So yes I do believe there were drivers who wanted the new ICE technology to replace their horses but also had range anxiety till better roads were built and gas stations were built.

Today we have a far superior infrastructure of ability to even slow charge EVs and I believe the switch to EVs will happen much faster than it was to ICE.

• Haha 1

Farms were the norm, and they often had tractors before automobiles, plus kerosene for heaters, etc. 'Storage systems' = fuel can. My point was the average household both was more likely to have fuel to offer, as well as more likely willing to offer it. But 99% of the early cars were used for local pleasure trips. People very very seldom 'commuted'- they either worked on their/a local farm/ lived in town/ rode horses long distances/ took a train. Many many Model Ts were put to work as a farm vehicle as opposed to transportation.

I am seeing different numbers but I'll go with the most common- a Model T had a 10 gal tank and got about 15 MPG (I see estimated from 13-21, but remember; this is at very low speeds), so that 150 mile range is still better than 75% of todays' BEV's range (fiat 500e : 84 miles).

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2019 at 7:12 PM, dfelt said:

I am not aware of any ICE auto that can refill in 3 minutes with 300 miles of range.

Any compact car?  Just the fillup process itself of 10-11 gallons doesn't take more than 3 minutes. It probably takes as long to put the card in, type in zip code or PIN and tell it I don't want a car wash as it does to put the gas itself in. 

I'll be getting gas in the next couple of days. Hopefully I can remember to time it. 

• Agree 1

I keep seeing this argument over trying to force an EV into a ICE use pattern.  That is faulty thinking. To successfully switch to EVs, one must change the way one thinks about fueling.  With the exception of free Supercharging, "filling up" while out on the go is much more expensive than "Filling up" at home. 

With an EV with the range of the Bolt or any Tesla, there should nearly never be "filling up" while out and about.  Plug it in at home and start every morning with a full tank. 

If you don't have a place to plug in at home, then an EV is not for you. Buy an ICE or Hybrid.

If you regularly drive more than 250 miles in a day, then an EV is not for you. Buy and ICE or Hybrid.

If 90% of your driving is less than 100 miles one way and you have a place to plug in at home, then an EV might work for you.

EVs make excellent second cars in a multi-car family. Something used for daily commuting that uses no gasoline while the gasoline powered family truckster gets used for road trip duties. 

They make an excellent first car for someone who doesn't do road trips.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, balthazar said:

Farms were the norm, and they often had tractors before automobiles, plus kerosene for heaters, etc. 'Storage systems' = fuel can. My point was the average household both was more likely to have fuel to offer, as well as more likely willing to offer it. But 99% of the early cars were used for local pleasure trips. People very very seldom 'commuted'- they either worked on their/a local farm/ lived in town/ rode horses long distances/ took a train. Many many Model Ts were put to work as a farm vehicle as opposed to transportation.

I am seeing different numbers but I'll go with the most common- a Model T had a 10 gal tank and got about 15 MPG (I see estimated from 13-21, but remember; this is at very low speeds), so that 150 mile range is still better than 75% of todays' BEV's range (fiat 500e : 84 miles).

Why would you even bother with compliance cars that only get sold in California?  They are the equivalent of putting a small gas engine in a horse carriage... so compare it to the Curved Dash, not the Model-T. 

Look at the real EVs that were purpose-built. The Model S, Model 3, Chevy Bolt were all purpose-built to be EVs, just like the Model-T was purpose-built to be an automobile rather than a horseless carriage. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

There is no reason we can't have a mix of ICE and EVs and Hybrids.

Until the day when they ban fossil fuel powered cars, well sales of new ones anyway.

EV will eventually put ICE engines out of business.  Just like the car replaced the horse, natural gas and clean energy replaced coal, streaming music replaced CD's which replaced  tapes, which replaced records, etc.  

We can have a mix now, but I feel like come 2030 the gas car will be pointless.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Until the day when they ban fossil fuel powered cars, well sales of new ones anyway.

Make me think of the Motor Law and outlaws driving red Barchettas...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Why would you even bother with compliance cars that only get sold in California?  They are the equivalent of putting a small gas engine in a horse carriage... so compare it to the Curved Dash, not the Model-T. 

Look at the real EVs that were purpose-built. The Model S, Model 3, Chevy Bolt were all purpose-built to be EVs, just like the Model-T was purpose-built to be an automobile rather than a horseless carriage. 

That's why I said '75% of the BEVs available today'; it's representative of the state of the segment currently (rather than the optimum). But I get your point regarding the better ones.

9 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The Tesla Model 3 sold more units in December than the Cadillac ATS and CTS combined sold in all of 2018.  I think the electric car is very viable.  

When are you getting one, or did you already spring for one?  PICS PLEASE.

That's funny that every single YouTuber that has bought a Tesla has had problems.

37 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

When are you getting one, or did you already spring for one?  PICS PLEASE.

That's funny that every single YouTuber that has bought a Tesla has had problems.

Tesla is out of my price range, plus I would rather save up for a Mercedes electric car that will not have big panel gaps or problems.  But regardless of Tesla build quality they are the hottest product out there.  

On 1/5/2019 at 3:58 PM, ocnblu said:

Certain breeds really need them.  One should always wrap his wiener, for example.

German wieners run hot, minimal if any wrapping is required! :P 

13 hours ago, dfelt said:

German wieners run hot, minimal if any wrapping is required! :P 

I could go for a currywurst w/ a side of spaetzle, and a pint of Warsteiner.  Going to have to go to Hofbrauhaus downtown soon. 

• Agree 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:21 AM, ccap41 said:

Any compact car?  Just the fillup process itself of 10-11 gallons doesn't take more than 3 minutes. It probably takes as long to put the card in, type in zip code or PIN and tell it I don't want a car wash as it does to put the gas itself in. 

I'll be getting gas in the next couple of days. Hopefully I can remember to time it. 

Turn the volume down/off as there’s a fire truck rolling past. 

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Turn the volume down/off as there’s a fire truck rolling past. 

292CC270-8EF5-4F81-A8CC-59A88E8A2ECA.MOV

Thank you for posting, I wish APPLE would follow industry standards, MOV format just does not play on anything well except apple, lucky for me I have the VCL player installed.

WOW, just $20 to fill up, amazing, I honestly cannot remember ever filling up an auto for less than $65 to 70 dollars or more. Cool, so 10 gallons in a minute for what an estimated 300 mile range? Cool.

I just plug in my auto at night once I get it and every morning the tank will be full. ;) 

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

You're so amazed, it's like you grew up in a far-off land where ICE vehicles were not 100% the norm.  Really?

And you are living in the 20th century where they will be the norm forever...so one of you is living in a far off land and one of you is living in a former Century.

As far as Wieners go, I like ?Dirty Franks here in Columbus, great selection of hot dogs. If you folks ever come by, I will treat you to a dog there and an Cold beverage of your choice!

http://dirtyfrankshotdogs.com/

Linky to Dirty franks.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

And you are living in the 20th century where they will be the norm forever...so one of you is living in a far off land and one of you is living in a former Century.

As far as Wieners go, I like ?Dirty Franks here in Columbus, great selection of hot dogs. If you folks ever come by, I will treat you to a dog there and an Cold beverage of your choice!

http://dirtyfrankshotdogs.com/

Linky to Dirty franks.

Sounds tasty.   Charlie's Dog House is a couple miles from me here in Cleveland, tasty hot dogs.

eat2-charlies_copy.jpg

On the subject of gas stations and filling up, I encountered a pump last week that took about a minute a gallon...after 10 min, I had put in 10 gallons and gave up.  Slowest pump I've ever seen. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Sounds tasty.   Charlie's Dog House is a couple miles from me here in Cleveland, tasty hot dogs.

eat2-charlies_copy.jpg

On the subject of gas stations and filling up, I encountered a pump last week that took about a minute a gallon...after 10 min, I had put in 10 gallons and gave up.  Slowest pump I've ever seen. 

It's Ohio...everything moves slower in the cold.

...and you came to me last time...I need to see you next time I am up in Cleveland.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Spelling