Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

DRIVEN: 2017 Cadillac XT5 Luxury 3.6 AWD (preowned vehicle review)

DRIVEN: 2017 Cadillac XT5 Luxury 3.6 AWD (preowned vehicle review)

HIGHS:

-the 3.6 in this GM vehicle is decently powerful.

-nice comfortable seats, good cabin space

-dash design and layout is simple and effective

-good commanding view of the road.

-i do dig the steering wheel

-floats along like Cadillacs of yore, sort of, give it credit for good comfort.

LOWS:

-milk

-toast

-What are you getting here any different than a trimmed out Ford Edge?

-Doesn't feel like a luxury vehicle (to me) even though it is 'nice'.

-Vehicle is bulky and not really nimble.

-leather and plastics need to improve in quality and feel

-Ride and drive is not much different than any number of vehicles priced as much or lower.  Nothing special about the way it drives!

-Cargo area should have more space

-some people who buy Cadillacs only buy used ones, after they have depreciated heavily.  This vehicle ensures there will be a steady and large supply of vehicles for those folks.

SUMMARY

Not worth writing much on my end.  A pleasant transportation device but you're not getting something with extreme amount of benefit a luxury brand is supposed to deliver.  That said, if your thing is a nice bread and butter GM vehicle with lots of trim and options, this is ok.  Dissect your expectations and if this simply meets your needs, and you like the level of trim it provides go for it.  I am predicting the 2020 Explorer will be a fantastic drive in comparison.  I just think the XT5 is really not much different than a Ford Edge at the end of the day.  So much for status.

Edited by regfootball

I liked the SRX more than the XT5... it's not an ugly vehicle, but it's uninspiring with a bland interior, in my opinion.  The problem is, rather than building on that, they're releasing a bigger version.  What's Cadillac's ultimate goal now?  And if they're changing it, do we have to change the names of the vehicles yet again?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Paolino said:

I liked the SRX more than the XT5... it's not an ugly vehicle, but it's uninspiring with a bland interior, in my opinion.  The problem is, rather than building on that, they're releasing a bigger version.  What's Cadillac's ultimate goal now?  And if they're changing it, do we have to change the names of the vehicles yet again?

You know I had driven SRX in the past also that surprisingly to me were more interesting to drive.  The SRX felt more premium.  I think the XT5 needs an improved powertrain, improved interior, and ride and handling.  That said, the version of the XT5 I drove was more of a basic version.

30 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Edge, Grand Cherokee, everything Europe has to offer equals or betters it.

Cadillac I am afraid is merely a marketing arm and a trim package to Barra, Reuss, and the whole of GM leadership.  It's a 'brand' with whatever attributes that want you to believe that it has.  Rather than having the product define the attributes, they just want to spit it whatever they build and try to mind fu-- you with marketing and PR what the enhanced value of a Cadillac that they want you to believe.

XT5 is salvageable.  Give it a new stunning interior, and put say, the twin turbo six in it.  I would even be for them moving to a good turbo four in the lesser versions if it is good and can move the vehicle.  That new turbo four in the XT4 i felt was actually pretty smooth and revved nice.  If they can tune that thing up to 300hp and pop it into the XT5, I would be jiggy with that because GM's ubiquitous 3.6 is just sort of there and needs work, at least in the XT5.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, frogger said:

Standard of the World though

It was in 1956, yes....

4 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Essentially, the XT5 (and Cadillac more generally) needs some car guys to radically give Cadillac a real identity.

Agree completely.

3 hours ago, regfootball said:

You know I had driven SRX in the past also that surprisingly to me were more interesting to drive.  The SRX felt more premium.  I think the XT5 needs an improved powertrain, improved interior, and ride and handling.  That said, the version of the XT5 I drove was more of a basic version.

That said (the bolded part), and it was a mouth full.. I really wish Cadillac/GM would stop fukkin catering to people who really shouldn't be in Cadillacs, Lexus, Benz, etc.. Seriously.. this review was base don a drive in, essentially a BASE XT5 and compared to a Edge.. why not an Equinox, or Terrain??? Give me a break. This I blame on Cadillac for even offering a BASE XT5 so that they enable lower payments for the sake of charity IMO. Sorry.. its the high earner in me.

No MRC, NO Better interior. No better ride and handling. Simple and plain. That there alone would have improved this showing... the MRC.. selective ride control and suspension settings. The Interior in the PREMIUM Lux and Platinum are bounds above the bottom layers. The very leather is better. The headliner is better.. the ride and handling are better..buuuuuuuuut.. Cadilac wants to cater.. when GM should step up and say hey.. "THIS IS CADILLAC... get the fukk outta here and go down to the Buick, Chevy, or GMC dealer.. in fact.. just go to Chevy..." 

And the SRX was in not better in this XT5 with exception to one thing, and that's the more agressive styling.. but I think Cadillac actually matured on this one. When I drove the XT5 Premium Lux and Platinum.. it was a head turner everywhere I went. Even dudes.. which surprised the hell out of me since I see it as a female ride. 

I reiterate that while I think the 3.6L is a very nice engine.. it should not be in a Cadillac after the intro of more torque heavy alternatives. Exclusive engines that Cadillac seems to be not only holding on to.. but only holding on to them for a select few of its vehicles. The 3.0L TT should have been offered as the base engine for the XT5 and XT6, and the optional engine for the XT4, XT5, and XT6. Huh??? Hell does that mean??? Different tuning. 350HP, 400HP.. re-certifications.. screw it. Charge the customer via higher MSRP. 

• Agree 1

Cadillac is getting by on the quality of its vehicles and their presentation just like this young woman is getting recognition based solely on her musical abilities.

Of course...you could pick up a girl like that a hell of a lot quicker in a Cadillac than a Hyundai.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Cadillac is getting by on the quality of its vehicles and their presentation just like this young woman is getting recognition based solely on her musical abilities.

(DELETED VIDEO OF SEXY ASS GIRL WITH BEAUTIFUL LOVELYS MUSHED TOGETHER IN TIGHT SHIRT)

Of course...you could pick up a girl like that a hell of a lot quicker in a Cadillac than a Hyundai.

Here's whats gonna happen.. just because we want Cadillac to be designed by the same types of car guys that brought us the best handling and performing Sport lux sedan for almost its entire run in the ATS and CTS.. what's going to happen is Cadillac by 2019, will most likely sell over 200K.. that's a 30% up in US sales.. and overall hit 300K in China (a 30% uptick) barring any backlash from the trade situation, but considering Dec was not effected in the negative I am optimistic. That's 500K Global that JDN predicted by 2020

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Here's whats gonna happen.. just because we want Cadillac to be designed by the same types of car guys that brought us the best handling and performing Sport lux sedan for almost its entire run in the ATS and CTS.. what's going to happen is Cadillac by 2019, will most likely sell over 200K.. that's a 30% up in US sales.. and overall hit 300K in China (a 30% uptick) barring any backlash from the trade situation, but considering Dec was not effected in the negative I am optimistic. That's 500K Global that JDN predicted by 2020

God I hope so. I want them to succeed.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

God I hope so. I want them to succeed.

Yeah what I meant by that was Cadillac is going to find extreme success in non performance luxury vehicles like the XTs.. and wonder why the FUKK.. they are putting energy into performance. I hope not, but THOSE buyers come out and buy.. performance cheerleaders on forum very seldom do

4 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Yeah what I meant by that was Cadillac is going to find extreme success in non performance luxury vehicles like the XTs.. and wonder why the FUKK.. they are putting energy into performance. I hope not, but THOSE buyers come out and buy.. performance cheerleaders on forum very seldom do

Here is my take on it...I am fine with Porsche building suvs and sedans if it keeps the 911 alive. I am fine with cadillac building mainstream suvs if it keeps cars like the V series alive. 

I do think Cadillac needs to seperate its identity from lower GM products a bit more.

• Agree 3

Cadillac needs to be Cadillac.

Cadillac needs to produce and sell products that are true to its brand's historical image. 

Cadillac needs to stop trying to sell to every Tom Dick and Harry.  Yes, this is volume and volume is good for fast cash.  But Cadillac shouldnt be fast cash.  That is what Chevrolet and GMC are for. 

Cadillac also needs to start building those products that make everybody dream.  And  we know Cadillac still has the brand image  to do that just with a handful of concepts they revealed over the last 15 years.   

And yeah, broken ass cigars shouldnt be buying Cadillacs.

4 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

"THIS IS CADILLAC... get the fukk outta here and go down to the Buick, Chevy, or GMC dealer.. in fact.. just go to Chevy..." 

This should be Cadillac's internal battle cry plastered on every single Cadillac headquarters wall and their new slogan!

For public media advertising, it should be the short version:

THIS IS CADILLAC 

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I do think Cadillac needs to seperate its identity from lower GM products a bit more.

There shouldnt be ANY Cadillac identity that is as low as the highest Chevy  and mid Buick though...

If they wanna do an ATS sized Caddy, that is fine. But that ATS sized Caddy better be of high luxury in workmanship, in quality and in price worthy of a Cadillac badge that is on it.  Not of workmanship and quality and price of the best Chevy you can buy...but of the best workmanship, quality and HIGH price that is worthy of a Cadillac!  That means that there shouldnt be an Impala LTZ on the lot with a Cadillac ATS and the Cadillac ATS is the SAME price of the Impala.  

I dont care if the Impala is the bigger car therefore the Impala gets to be equal to a Cadillac ATS.  BULLSHYTE on THAT!

For me and what I care for Cadillac, its that a Cadillac is supposed to be unattainable for the broken cigars. 

And therefore we fall back to the sales thing again... 

The Cadillac CUVs and SUVs are selling just fine.  Therefore all this banter we are doing is maybe all for nothing! 

• Like 1

Well I can state that all luxury makes now have superficial status vehicles.

BMW X1, their 2 Series Gran Coupe...which makes no sense as it can't be a proper Gran Coupe if it's just a streched out Mini...

A Series, CLA....GLA, MKC, NX, RX.....the list goes on. At the same time....the CLA does due to as something as simple as modern tires and like, a wider transmission spread is faster than the proper status vehicle that the lowest priced Mercedes used to be like 20 year ago.....if that's even a thing.

I always thought the first gen Verano was great. It had 'Galvano Chrome' even before Cadillac got it! That was  some nice fake metal trim, like the highest quality fake metal trim GM has ever made. 

17 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

She maybe fine, but no thanx...let the music be played by musicians worthy of the tune.

This is how a REAL rocker chick does AC/DC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sky1tt8vLA

She was smokin hot for her time, Great face, small everything else if you like woman that way! :metal:

In regards to Cadillac, I really Hope they DO NOT go down the road of EV weirdness like the Qoros from China that came out.

See the source image

This is like a hell baby of crossbreeding Cadillac with Nissan. :puke:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

She maybe fine, but no thanx...let the music be played by musicians worthy of the tune.

This is how a REAL rocker chick does AC/DC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sky1tt8vLA

I love Joan Jett...

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Well I can state that all luxury makes now have superficial status vehicles.

BMW X1, their 2 Series Gran Coupe...which makes no sense as it can't be a proper Gran Coupe if it's just a streched out Mini...

A Series, CLA....GLA, MKC, NX, RX.....the list goes on

General Motors has that...in Chevrolet. And if they want, Buick and GMC.

Rolls Royce does not have that, nor Bentley. 

Maybe Cadillac should align themselves closer to Rolls and Bentley?  Like how they used to be since day one of their existence up until the 1970s...

• Like 1

I think were are, or should be, just about done with the EV having to be different just to stand out to tell people you "care" for the environment. EVs are just about getting ready for the big time mainstream spotlight.  No need for this weird styling. 

That was all crap marketing and the folk that bought into that just wanted to pat themselves on the back "for doing the right thing" 

Poseurs and posturing. All hypocritical.  

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Me too. And like her, I also love rock-n-roll!   

Related image

In my ideal world we would be two teenage boys cruising my old hometown in a Cutty 442 and burning the living PHOKKK out of those old 50 series bias plies on the rear while we were listening to some Rock on the 8 track...

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Lovely Asian woman and Cadillacs, What is not to love! :D

See the source image

image.png

See the source image

Some Day, I want to visit the Tokyo, Seoul and Beijing auto shows.

See the source image

Heck...i would even take lovely American Women with Asian iron.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Kiss Me Deadly was awesome, and the video is, well, memorable.  Lots of writhing with a guitar.  How can you lose?.  Shot of Poison, Playing With Fire, those are good songs too.  Joan Jett obviously had many more hits.  Lita had more 'dangerous curves'.

Shot of Poison is a tremendous video also...

https://youtu.be/UqQ0R7OXYVY

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/lita-ford-i-had-affairs-with-a-lot-of-guitar-players-and-a-lot-of-lead-singers-in-the-music-industry/

image.png

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1