Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Cadillac News: Cadillac CT6: I'm Not Dead Yet (For U.S.)

Back in November, General Motors announced that it would end production of six models in North America. One of the models listed was the Cadillac CT6 sedan. This surprised a number of people considering that the brand had only refreshed model, and announced some key improvements such as adding Super Cruise and a new twin-turbo V8 engine known as Blackwing.

But GM President Mark Reuss and Cadillac President Steve Carlisle said they are looking into various options to keep the CT6 on sale in the U.S. The two explained that model was never meant to be on the chopping with other models such as the Buick LaCrosse and Chevrolet Impala. But officials at the time did not mention those plans in the original announcement in November. 

"From the very beginning, we never said that CT6 was going away, because we're very keen on launching Blackwing and Super Cruise and all those sort of things," said Carlisle on the floor of the Detroit Auto Show.

"We're working hard to find other alternatives to that. We have some time."

What are the alternatives being considered? Automotive News reports that GM may move production to another plant (ultimately depending on the negotiations with the UAW to take place later this year), or import the model from China - an idea Carlisle said "would be the least-preferred option."

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

5 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Our prayers MAY have been answered with respect to the CT6.  Now if only GM would use the Omega platform for other vehicles as well. . . . .

It is too god of a car to die, methinks. 

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Now if only GM would use the Omega platform for other vehicles as well. . . . .

I'd love to see a CT6 coupe, a Buick sedan and an Impala/Caprice off this platform, but in today's CUV-obsessed market I know all are quite unlikely...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd love to see a CT6 coupe, a Buick sedan and an Impala/Caprice off this platform, but in today's CUV-obsessed market I know all are quite unlikely...

I could so see a CT6 Coupe Blackwing edition along with a Blackwing EV version.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

I could so see a CT6 Coupe Blackwing edition along with a Blackwing EV version.

I''d like to see a coupe w/ the El Miraj styling..a big 2dr hardtop.  Was such a beautiful concept. 

Elmiraj_LA_Auto_Show_2013_(lateral_view)_cropped.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

They could probably build enough CT6’s in 5 months to give dealers a 2 year supply.

i wonder if they found a way to make a crossover on Omega which makes the platform more viable.

This guy.. once again trying to belittle the Cadillac brand. Look U Kraut... The CT6 sells more than any of the German big sedans save the S-Class. It does so to some monthly by 2 and 3 to one. 

Anyway.. go back to the original announcement tread and see that I told U folks that the words CT6 Dead had not been uttered.. just the plant was being closed.. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

This guy.. once again trying to belittle the Cadillac brand. Look U Kraut... The CT6 sells more than any of the German big sedans save the S-Class. It does so to some monthly by 2 and 3 to one. 

Anyway.. go back to the original announcement tread and see that I told U folks that the words CT6 Dead had not been uttered.. just the plant was being closed.. 

I just read on Automotive News they they are only building 275 CT6-V's for the United States before production ends in March 2019.  Shame on BMW if the 7-series didn't outsell the CT6 last year, I don't really care to look up the sales figures.  The S-class dominates this segment, all the other guys might as well just pack it up and go home, with maybe the exception of the 7-series since they sell a lot of those in Europe.  

10 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I just read on Automotive News they they are only building 275 CT6-V's for the United States before production ends in March 2019.  Shame on BMW if the 7-series didn't outsell the CT6 last year, I don't really care to look up the sales figures.  The S-class dominates this segment, all the other guys might as well just pack it up and go home, with maybe the exception of the 7-series since they sell a lot of those in Europe.  

Automotive news has it wrong.

22 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Yet the S-Class is so Butt Ugly, in fact the whole family has a glaring problem, They have a Cat Butt front and center!

See the source image

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

^ It's sad how they all look exactly the same up front- the $100K models wear the same nose as the $30K.

Imagine if Cadillac put a Sonic nose on the CT6-V.

Honestly, I could not tell you which models they are due to that glaring problem of the same nose.

I think the dark grey on the far right is part of the CLA family, but I could be wrong, really poor design language for a luxury class of auto.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

CT6 9968

Continental 8758

LS 9302

A8 1599

7series 8271

SClass. 14, 978

Meaning the CT6 with an XTS on the lot next to it and no Coupe, Convertible, or VSeries still came in at #2... SClass best if because it had variants. I think if Caddy had those variants and no XTS to compete with it would have beat the SClass... Hell possibly without any variants since the XTS sold 17,727 units

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

^ It's sad how they all look exactly the same up front- the $100K models wear the same nose as the $30K.

Imagine if Cadillac put a Sonic nose on the CT6-V.

XT4, XT5, XT6, CT6 are all wearing the same front end now.

It is quite simple, 3 LED bars on this:

2018-Mercedes-Benz-S560-front-view-02.jp

And this has 1 LED bar:

2017-mercedes-benz-c-class-c300-sedan-wi

3 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

CT6 9968

Continental 8758

LS 9302

A8 1599

7series 8271

SClass. 14, 978

Meaning the CT6 with an XTS on the lot next to it and no Coupe, Convertible, or VSeries still came in at #2... SClass best if because it had variants. I think if Caddy had those variants and no XTS to compete with it would have beat the SClass... Hell possibly without any variants since the XTS sold 17,727 units

An S560 starts at $101,350, $104,350 for the 4Matic and that is the volume model.  Even a base rear drive S450 is $91,250 and I don't think I ever saw one of those.  If any other car on that list was $104,000 before options their combined sales would be about 10 cars.

And yet XTS, Continental and CT6 are getting killed off anyway.  The A8 is still around because of China and VW not really caring that it doesn't sell, because if they cancelled it they couldn't pretend Audi is on par with Mercedes, which it is not.

3 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

They are ugly as dog feces, but this... Oh I'd have a baby with this Cadillac 😍

Screenshot_2019-01-15-22-33-02-503.jpeg

I actually think the CT6 is a good looking car aside from the goofy headlights.  I like the big grill and the sort of slab sided look.  I think the body shape and proportions are quite good on it, sort of like a modernized better shape of the 2005 Chrysler 300 which I liked that design when it came out.  The V8 finally gives it a worthy motor, this car's problem since launch was all the corners Cadillac cut.

And those Mercedes left to right would be be C-class, GLA, GLE, E-class, CLA.  Easy to identify.  

2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

An S560 starts at $101,350, $104,350 for the 4Matic and that is the volume model.  Even a base rear drive S450 is $91,250 and I don't think I ever saw one of those.  If any other car on that list was $104,000 before options their combined sales would be about 10 cars.

And yet XTS, Continental and CT6 are getting killed off anyway.  The A8 is still around because of China and VW not really caring that it doesn't sell, because if they cancelled it they couldn't pretend Audi is on par with Mercedes, which it is not.

CT6 LIVES!!! People who can't except that are either in denial or just plain ugly and stupid. They stink too... 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

XT4, XT5, XT6, CT6 are all wearing the same front end now.

Nice try; try again ~

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 11.01.42 PM.png

And if consumers have to squint into the headlight cluster to try and figure out if they should be impressed at how much money you're willing to drop in depreciation (S-Coupe) or how much of a poser you are (CLA), you've failed at Styling.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

I wonder if a lifer GM Cadillac-er was thinking there's ...there's kids out there that want to buy their parents a classic Cadillac. Referring to me.

He/she is part of the deep GM. The deeep GM.

And then the deep GM commandeth

"BARRA! KEEP THAT CARRR!"

Too bad Deep GM was killed off during BK nine years ago.

10 hours ago, smk4565 said:

That 2 tone paint though, that is how you do luxury.  And Cadillac used to do that.

mercedes-maybach-s650-0454.jpg

:puke: Sorry, some cars do two-tone real well this is one that DOES NOT. Ugly as a cat butt.

14 hours ago, smk4565 said:

That 2 tone paint though, that is how you do luxury.  And Cadillac used to do that.

mercedes-maybach-s650-0454.jpg

You couldn’t find a better example of a two tone paint job? That looks like an aftermarket job done in someone’s garage with 20 cans of Krylon 2 in 1. Even this photoshop job looks better than that (and yes to a CT8 variant like this).

Sorry but the others are right regarding the MB front ends. When one has to look around the side to tell the difference between a $30K CLA and an $120K S-Class, that is not a good thing. The Cadillac’s at least look distinctive in that department, much more so the Benz (for now anyway). 

37356653-495E-4DD5-A19E-C9D81F4D315F.jpeg

If you’re going to go two tone, at least do it right.

833B3F23-0224-426D-B797-D2DD42FF24FB.jpeg

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

Nice try; try again ~

And if consumers have to squint into the headlight cluster to try and figure out if they should be impressed at how much money you're willing to drop in depreciation (S-Coupe) or how much of a poser you are (CLA), you've failed at Styling.

Like these...but that XT5 is a sexy beast in that color!

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

:puke: Sorry, some cars do two-tone real well this is one that DOES NOT. Ugly as a cat butt.

Looks like something a sexually starved Miami Widow would drive...not reeking of Luxury in any real way. 

4 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Enough remains to keep merit in the brand though. 

18 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

It beats the living Dog $#!+ out of the BMW products...for damned sure. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

Nice try; try again ~

These are equally similar to each other as the Mercedes, BMW, and Audi lineups.. 

16 hours ago, smk4565 said:

It didn't. GM sold 9,668 CT6es, whereas BMW sold 8,271 7-series vehicles inthe USA in 2018. BTW, the M-B sold 14,978 S-Class cars in the US in 2018. Regardless, when you launch a product in the large luxury sedan segment, only an idiot product planner will not realize that it is going to be a 10,000 unit/year (give or take) product. It might do worse if it sucks, it may be about 15K if it is really successful. It will NEVER be a volume model; it is not a Camry. R&D expenditure, pricing and production scaling should be designed around the low volumes, period.

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

It didn't. GM sold 9,668 CT6es, whereas BMW sold 8,271 7-series vehicles inthe USA in 2018. BTW, the M-B sold 14,978 S-Class cars in the US in 2018. Regardless, when you launch a product in the large luxury sedan segment, only an idiot product planner will not realize that it is going to be a 10,000 unit/year (give or take) product. It might do worse if it sucks, it may be about 15K if it is really successful. It will NEVER be a volume model; it is not a Camry. R&D expenditure, pricing and production scaling should be designed around the low volumes, period.

At any rate...and I agree completely with your fine post Dwight...

Can we all start looking at cars as enthusiasts rather than having a @!c& waving contest in terms of who outsells who by 300 units?

We might as well whine about why one apartment building in a sim city simulation has more electronic residents. 

And I am all in on the CT6...fine automobile. 

ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahaahahahahaahah okay some older fords ar egood though but omg yesss it is the some of the new ones found on rode dead ford

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

The new 7 looks to have upped its game, they have 523 hp V8 now with a 3.9 second 0-60 run and  the V12 is still there if you want more.  

With these big cars if you look at global numbers, the American market is only 3rd most important to a lot of these German brands.  Globally there were 77,927 S-class sales in 2018.

2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The new 7 looks to have upped its game, they have 523 hp V8 now with a 3.9 second 0-60 run and  the V12 is still there if you want more.  

With these big cars if you look at global numbers, the American market is only 3rd most important to a lot of these German brands.  Globally there were 77,927 S-class sales in 2018.

I am happy for you. 

Honestly, if I had a magic wand I would wave it and you would stop overcompensating by evaluating items as status purchases to give you the most status in the room. 

Status is important as a luxury car....but buy what you like...no one in their right mind gives a shit if you buy a Lincoln or a Lexus...or a Benz or a BMW. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Globally there were 77,927 S-class sales in 2018.

With an average discount of 25-30% off MSRP and how many sold into Taxi service? 🤔

4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Status is important as a luxury car....but buy what you like...no one in their right mind gives a $h! if you buy a Lincoln or a Lexus...or a Benz or a BMW. 

That is the most contradictory statement I have ever heard. Yes, status is important for lucury cars. People in their right mind buy them specifically because they give a damn about what others perceive of their brand of choice. That is a huge part of the buying decision.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dwightlooi said:

That is the most contradictory statement I have ever heard. Yes, status is important for lucury cars. People in their right mind buy them specifically because they give a damn about what others perceive of their brand of choice. That is a huge part of the buying decision.

I was saying that in the average population people really don't care that much what kind of car you buy.

Show up in a BMW or Benz and you have the status of a luxury car...but unless you have a brand fanboi 99 percent of the population does not give a rats ass which one you bought.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I was saying that in the average population people really don't care that much what kind of car you buy.

Show up in a BMW or Benz and you have the status of a luxury car...but unless you have a brand fanboi 99 percent of the population does not give a rats ass which one you bought.

I agree in majority with your statement, till you get into select neighborhoods and cities where the population is nothing but fanboi idiots caught up in the name. I could care less what others think of my ride as long as it fits me and is what I like. 

While I do debate heavily with some here, I still respect that they are driving what they want, what they like and good for them. Even our SMK SUPER FANBOI of MB, glad he is so in love with his E-Class Taxi. ;) 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I agree in majority with your statement, till you get into select neighborhoods and cities where the population is nothing but fanboi idiots caught up in the name. I could care less what others think of my ride as long as it fits me and is what I like. 

While I do debate heavily with some here, I still respect that they are driving what they want, what they like and good for them. Even our SMK SUPER FANBOI of MB, glad he is so in love with his E-Class Taxi. ;) 

And my point is that it would be better if more people thought like enthusiasts and just bought what made them happy. 

I have two mothers...was adopted...know and get along well with both. Birth mother drove a Jag....got hit and the jag got totaled...replaced it with a Lincoln. She hangs out in all of the right country clubs and social circles. 

No one really cared that she switched brands. Pretty much everyone thought the lighter color of the Lincoln (some shade of metallic dune, kind of a nice tan) would be better in the Florida sun than the black of the (now crumpled) Jag. And that was about it. 

One of her neighbors is an incredibly cool guy and drives an E class Benz...but no one cares that he bought that a Benz...they like the dude because he is a great guy. 

If Chevrolet built the Peto Bismal pink Aveo in the ken and Barbie limited edition and it brought SMK Status...you can bet the family jewels it would be in his driveway. And a 1930's V16 Cadillac would be just another used car if it didn't bring him Status. 

I like a lot of Benzes...but all i ever hear from SMK is sales numbers and status.  Dammit man...live life on your own terms a little bit. 

Americans were not born to be sheep...which is probably why Cadillac is out for certain people. Cadillac has an edgy nature that should appeal to tech types, entrepreneurs, athletes, and people who take risks,

But I might suggest the brand Checker and the model Marathon for SMK. Low risk financially as it is already depreciated....outsold every other taxi for decades so a sales leader....moar interior room than most modern Luxury cars...and he can lecture us on how smooth that inline six is. Drunken Wino as passenger not included. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Agree 1

You should buy the car you like given your budget.  Then again, there are a LOT of badge snobs out there who will look down at you for owning a Cadillac since they LOVE German luxury.  The effect is not quite as extreme with those who love Japanese luxury cars for some reason.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

You should buy the car you like given your budget.  Then again, there are a LOT of badge snobs out there who will look down at you for owning a Cadillac since they LOVE German luxury.  The effect is not quite as extreme with those who love Japanese luxury cars for some reason.

Most people I know who drive luxury cars are much more known for thier achievement that enabled them to buy the car than they are by the car.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, riviera74 said:

I don't get that. I love GM.. more than most.. but I see what they are doing, from a business standpoint, as the way to run a car business. People can hate them for closing plants.. that were under utilized. They can hate them for killing certain car models.. that weren't selling or were redundant... They can hate them for going for profit.. over sales and debt. They can even hate them for going EV in 10 years.. even as everyone else is going have to go there...  but from a business stand point they are doing what's right. 

Only as ENTHUSIASTS can we really get pissed.. only as Cadillac fans can we really be pissed. But then I look at their ENTHUSIAST products.. Corvette.. a world beater whose reputation proceeds it and is typically only able to be dogged out for its interior versus cars costing $20K+.. We have the Camaro.. undoubtedly the best performance sports coupe on the market that is not called a genuine Sports car.. we have the ATS-V Coupe.. the CTS-V .. two of the absolute best super luxury vehicles on the market.. and now we have the CT6-V. Truthfully my only issue with GM really tends to be with them not offering more variations of vehicles that they have on the lots by utilizing parts they already have on the shelf.. ie... XT6 with a 3.6L but no Twin Turbo variant.. ie Cruze not having a 2.0L Turbo even though they are gonna offer an SS in South America.. etc

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

There are also those who look down those who buy German lux cars, believe it or not.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Yeah... uuuum.. if I see a CT6 Taxi.. I'm not gonna boast on its numbers

berlin008-L.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

There are also those who look down those who buy German lux cars, believe it or not.

Raises hand

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

Maybe in Germany they like luxurious taxis that are reliable and can go 300,000 miles or more.  I don't think Daimler cares who buys their cars, they like every other car company are in business to make money.  I am sure Cadillac would love to get 10,000 orders for Escalade taxis to make money off it.

12 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Maybe in Germany they like luxurious taxis that are reliable and can go 300,000 miles or more.  I don't think Daimler cares who buys their cars, they like every other car company are in business to make money.  I am sure Cadillac would love to get 10,000 orders for Escalade taxis to make money off it.

Mercedes are really nothing special unless U cross the $120K range. To disrespect them some more FUKK Mercedes. FUkK GERMANY.