Industry News: NADA's CEO is Concerned About Consumers Being Priced Out

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

My driveway slopes down and then there is a flat area to park the cars.  Beyond that is a further hill covered in a forest of bamboo.  Coming home last night the bottom of the driveway was iced over and I was going too fast. Almost ended up with the Buick in the Bamboo.

The Buick Bamboo...

The perfect name for a Chinese market only Buick cute ute crossover! 

• Haha 2

RE RoHall's garage, I think Horsey was right- 2 car families were not automatic then, and your garage was likely intended for 1 car and lawn stuff/whatever. My parents were married in '64, didn't get a 2nd car until... hmmm, might have to ask my pop. He had a '70 Catalina (bought new), then he picked up a used circa '72 Nova in the mid '70s, and I think he traded that on the '77 Safari he bought new- by then there were 3 kids.

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, William Maley said:

But people aren't taking advantage of public transportation. Here are some quotes from a recent article from The Economist that someone posted about a week ago.

While their is truth to it, keep in mind people have been able to afford the current transportation. Wait for things to go south economy wise  people no longer have a choice.....

29 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

While their is truth to it, keep in mind people have been able to afford the current transportation. Wait for things to go south economy wise  people no longer have a choice.....

From that article:

JUANA, who came to America from Guatemala, used to take the bus to and from cleaning jobs. It wore on her. Walking to the bus stop after a long day at work was exhausting, especially when it rained, as it occasionally does in Los Angeles. Now Juana drives everywhere, even to her local supermarket, a few blocks away. She had two aspirations: to learn English and to get a car. She has accomplished both.

Just by reading that very 1st paragraph, and really not giving two shytes about the rest of the article, still read it though, the only thing I got from it was... AINT IT THE AMERICAN DREAM TO BE AN OWNER OF A CAR???!!! SO WHY THE CONFUSION AS TO WHY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION ALWAYS SEEMS TO GET THE SHAFT IN AMERICA???!!!

Im a hypocrite on this subject though. Im a HUUUGE advocator for public transport but I aint NEVER EVER...EVER gonna give up MY car to ride the damned bus and metro. Even if I worked downphoquingtown. I say I would take public transport if I worked downtown. But that is just a big fat LIE!!! Ever since I had 100% full access to a car, either my dad's because he retired or my very own not too long after he retired, I had stopped taking public transport and I NEVER looked back. I was 20 years old when that happened.  I took the bus and metro a couple of times between the ages of 20 and 21, ONLY because I wanted, had to, study for exams, so I studied on the bus because I did not study the night before because clubbing was obviouly more important!!! 

But yeah. The good 'ole American Dream. Forget Uber and LYFT and all that. Owning a car and the freedom to go where the phoque you want will ALWAYS trump public transport. Which in turn, will also make UBER and LYFT go by the wayside too. 

The power of the freedom to use YOUR OWN CAR whenever YOU want wherever YOU wanna go without ANY waiting is too damn strong for even a network of autonomous driving vehicles to fail...We all happily put up with traffic and gridlock because the power of the freedom to use YOUR OWN CAR whenever YOU want wherever YOU wanna go without ANY waiting IS that  strong...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 3

30 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Ohhhhh things will go south. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

From that article:

Just by reading that very 1st paragraph, and really not giving two shytes about the rest of the article, still read it though, the only thing I got from it was... AINT IT THE AMERICAN DREAM TO BE AN OWNER OF A CAR???!!! SO WHY THE CONFUSION AS TO WHY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION ALWAYS SEEMS TO GET THE SHAFT IN AMERICA???!!!

Im a hypocrite on this subject though. Im a HUUUGE advocator for public transport but I aint NEVER EVER...EVER gonna give up MY car to ride the damned bus and metro. Even if I worked downphoquingtown. I say I would take public transport if I worked downtown. But that is just a big fat LIE!!! Ever since I had 100% full access to a car, either my dad's because he retired or my very own not too long after he retired, I had stopped taking public transport and I NEVER looked back. I was 20 years old when that happened.  I took the bus and metro a couple of times between the ages of 20 and 21, ONLY because I wanted, had to, study for exams, so I studied on the bus because I did not study the night before because clubbing was obviouly more important!!! 

But yeah. The good 'ole American Dream. Forget Uber and LYFT and all that. Owning a car and the freedom to go where the phoque you want will ALWAYS trump public transport. Which in turn, will also make UBER and LYFT go by the wayside too. 

The power of the freedom to use YOUR OWN CAR whenever YOU want wherever YOU wanna go without ANY waiting is too damn strong for even a network of autonomous driving vehicles to fail...We all happily put up with traffic and gridlock because the power of the freedom to use YOUR OWN CAR whenever YOU want wherever YOU wanna go without ANY waiting IS that  strong...

Hard not to agree with that my friend.....

Wouldn’t mind public transport, so I could take the miles and wear and tear off my favorite ride.....:-) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

From that article:

I totally get what you are saying and used to think the same way, always drove to my job and enjoyed my freedom machine. Yet when I got my first ever tech job in Seattle, I quickly learned community transit was my friend.

Driving from my house to work is 18 miles one way. In an auto by myself takes 1 to 1 1/2 hrs, then $45 a day to park, plus the gas, insurance, etc.

Today, I save thousands a year on Insurance and drive 1 mile to the local Park n Ride so I qualify for low mileage driving, yet still enjoy my road trips and my Escalade has gone from high miles to low miles since the change as I only put on about 4 to 6 thousand miles a year. The company I work for pays for my Mass Transit pass or what we call an Orca card here which is good for any bus, lite rail or Amtrak train. I have zero stress on my commute which takes all of 30 min from the north end into Seattle where I get off and walk 4 blocks to work. I do not have to pay for parking and my gas bill has dropped big time.

I OWN MY OWN AUTO's. I enjoy them and drive when ever I want, but I save a ton on gas, maintenance and wear n tear on the auto. Stress free to and from work, fast commute compared to most others and total flexible schedule as buses come every 15 min.

I personally am not a fan of Uber or Lyft, small tight auto's and honestly just as rude as normal taxis. Take the bus or for when I travel just grab a regular cab from the airport thankfully, this is at most just twice a year for our huge tradeshow in vegas now.

I have the freedom to go where I want, when I want with my auto, yet I save thousands by using mass transit to get to and from work. Has not changed me seeing doctors or running errands, just saves me money.

• Agree 3

I understand the merits of public transport. That is why I am a huuuuuge advocator for it. 

Like I said, Im a hypocrite when it comes to this.  And...selfish.  

I think I do not want to let go of my car and use public transportation because...because I think I was traumatized using public transport when I was younger waiting for the stupid bus to come, waiting outside in the freezing cold in the winter, even in the bus shelter as its only an open shelter with no heating, waiting for the stupid bus to come, freezing my balls off, and then getting on, and no place to sit.  Or in the summer, waiting for the bus to arrive, getting on the bus, no place to sit, and standing next to a stinky person because sweaty and stinky because no take shower and no deodorant...

Yeah...no thanx! And I dont care how much money I could save....

Ill gladly take the wear and tear, the gridlock, the potholes, the occasional speeding tickets, the occasional asshat that cuts me off over waiting for the bus to come while I freeze my ballz off!   :D

(paying for parking daily...🤔) (its expensive in downtown Montreal...🤔

Funk dat! I think I STILL want to use my car. If I had to do a budget, Id cut down on other things JUST to keep on parking downtown. If it means less internet usage and less satellite TV channels...then so be it!  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

I've never been on a public bus. Never taken uber/lyft. Been in a taxi only once. All this despite living in 2 major cities during 4 years of college. Trains are the only thing I've been on numerous times.

Just haven't lived in areas where public transportation was around. Plus my work is 100% non-condusive to public transportation. I think it's great its available for those that can take advantage of it, but it's certainly not a thing that everyone should try to take part of.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I've never been on a public bus. Never taken uber/lyft. Been in a taxi only once. All this despite living in 2 major cities during 4 years of college. Trains are the only thing I've been on numerous times.

Just haven't lived in areas where public transportation was around. Plus my work is 100% non-conducive to public transportation. I think it's great its available for those that can take advantage of it, but it's certainly not a thing that everyone should try to take part of.

Totally agree with all you said. It is not for everyone.

Most young people here aspire to live downtown and have a walk or short subway ride to work.  Of those that can afford to live downtown (our 650 sq ft condo rents out for $2400), few can also afford the parking, insurance etc for a car, so we don't even own a parking spot for that condo (was 75 grand If we wanted one IIRC).

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, frogger said:

Most young people here aspire to live downtown and have a walk or short subway ride to work.  Of those that can afford to live downtown (our 650 sq ft condo rents out for $2400), few can also afford the parking, insurance etc for a car, so we don't even own a parking spot for that condo (was 75 grand If we wanted one IIRC).

A lot of the future will look like this, I think.

I go both ways. I drive to work sometimes. I take the bus sometimes.  It is not unusual for me to drive to work with Albert, but leave the car with him and take the bus home since he has to stay later.  I like the bus, but sometimes I want my own car. 

What I hate most is driving in city rush-hour traffic. 

• Agree 2

I've spent a lot more time in clogged freeway rush hour traffic than city rush hour traffic..kind of hate bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic especially on 115 degree days when the AC wasn't working....downtown Scottsdale and downtown Phoenix (even as large a city as it is) surface street traffic weren't bad compared to the 10 and 202 freeways coming from the burbs into Phoenix.   Denver freeway traffic on the 25 could be bad also....especially in blizzards. 

For years I had commutes of where I was I living in a central city neighborhood of Phoenix and commuting to distant suburban office parks by freeway.. sometimes I'd be against the prevailing traffic flow, other times in reverse of it.   Working in Scottsdale, though,  it was all surface streets, with the last 2 miles the most congested at rush hour. 

And when I lived in Denver, for a couple years I had a 1/2 mile commute...

So far in Cleveland my commute has been walking from my kitchen to my home office..;)

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

Currently, I live in an inner suburb and work in an outer suburb, so traffic is not too bad going opposite of what the majority do, 30-40 minutes drive, evenings tend to have more traffic than the mornings.  Thankfully I commute east in the evenings so sunsets are not a problem.  My wife hops on the subway to downtown and has a similar length commute.  Her immune system seems so much better than mine with all that exposure she has had over the years :).

• Agree 2

I sometimes search for old online photos of my neighbourhood, the best ones available are of the public spaces like libraries and fire halls, as well as of the buses that ran in the 20's, shortly after the neighbourhood was established.  I wonder how many of these buses are preserved somehere.

s0071_it3671.jpg

s0071_it3555.jpg

TTC had a lot of GM buses in their fleet from the fifties to the eighties.

ttc-2113-hillcrest-196506.jpg

I'm partial to the streetcars though.  A few times a year in the summer they bring out the old models on a few routes for a weekend.

Streetcar-gen_Panora.jpg

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, ocnblu said:

No way I'm dealing with other ppl's crap while I am trying to achieve zen on the way to work.

People Watching is so much fun. :P 

• Agree 1