William Maley

Ford News: Ford Is Planning An All-Electric F-150

Ford isn't shy about making its ambitious plans on electrifying their lineup known to the world. But the automaker had decided to raise the stakes with plans to build an all-electric F-150.

“We’re going to be electrifying the F-Series — battery electric and hybrid,” said Jim Farley, Ford president of global markets at the Deutsche Bank Global Automotive Conference.

Car and Driver was able to get a Ford spokesperson to confirm Farley's comment.

Farley didn't provide any details or a possible timeline as to when the F-150 EV will debut. Car and Driver is speculating that we could see this model with the next-generation F-150, possibly expected to appear sometime early in the next decade. It could be facing some tough in the form of the Rivian R1T that was revealed at the LA Auto Show in November. It promises a max range of 400 miles and max towing capacity of 11,000. The company is planning to begin production in late 2020, but that remains to be seen.

Source: Detroit Free Press, Car and Driver

View full article

I think Ford, GM, Ram, Toyota and Nissan are gonna have to majorly rethink their strategy if both Rivian and Atlis get their trucks into production in the 2020 time frame. 

Both Electric Trucks are going to give the 5 old OEMs above a run for their money especially if Atlis can give the same 3ft water depth that the Rivian has shown can do crossing rivers. 

Heck electric trucks that are designed from the beginning that can handle having their power train submerged for periods of time will take over as emergency vehicles in areas that deal with flooding as we already see too many ICE auto's stuck in a foot of water where these trucks will just go through and rescue peeps and their fluffy friends.

• Upvote 1

2020?!?!?!?!?!?
Going by the industry standard September intro, that's 8 months from now.
Atlis just FIRST showed their hand-built concept a few weeks ago- they're not going to have assembled product ready for delivery in even 23 months (Dec 2020).

What'd it take Tesla (which was already in regular production) to get the Model 3 out from it's first showing- something like 30 months?

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1

The electric f150 is more of an eventuality. They sell F150s in California, and there they banned ICE vehicles by 2030. Stupid move IMO, because free markets determine consumer choice.

I now deeply resent the tax incentives to make electric car makers or electric established OEM cars viable. Billions wasted there, could have fixed the backlog of much needed renewal projects...

I am not an advocate of subsidies to big oil,  but if you want them to have alternative competition - subsidize solar, wind, and other renewables, and rebuild existing electricity distribution infrastructure.  It's a flawed mentality to look at cars as equipment and not consider the tools required to make them work.

You'd want the tools before you get the equipment. Example : an employee of mine I trained to think before acting brought equipment I requested without any of the needed PPE. I sternly told him this is useless without the needed complimentary tools. 

If they electrify F150s by the early mid 2020s, adopting won't be as easy as EcoBoost...owners would absolutely demand fantastic charging experiences that I don't think America will be able to provide consistently at that time either. 

And you sure won't be able to buy the electric version as a base XL..that's for sure.

• Upvote 3

How about an F150 electric Lighting ?  They could make that run 0-60 in under 3 seconds.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

The electric f150 is more of an eventuality. They sell F150s in California, and there they banned ICE vehicles by 2030. Stupid move IMO, because free markets determine consumer choice.

I now deeply resent the tax incentives to make electric car makers or electric established OEM cars viable. Billions wasted there, could have fixed the backlog of much needed renewal projects...

I am not an advocate of subsidies to big oil,  but if you want them to have alternative competition - subsidize solar, wind, and other renewables, and rebuild existing electricity distribution infrastructure.  It's a flawed mentality to look at cars as equipment and not consider the tools required to make them work.

You'd want the tools before you get the equipment. Example : an employee of mine I trained to think before acting brought equipment I requested without any of the needed PPE. I sternly told him this is useless without the needed complimentary tools. 

If they electrify F150s by the early mid 2020s, adopting won't be as easy as EcoBoost...owners would absolutely demand fantastic charging experiences that I don't think America will be able to provide consistently at that time either. 

And you sure won't be able to buy the electric version as a base XL..that's for sure.

Yet you are trying to apply the old ICE mentality to electrics, as @Drew Dowdell has time and again pointed out. Electrics is a change in how you think about an auto and having it fueled and ready compared to ICE.

I know the electrical grid on the east coast needs a major rebuild and change, but that change is happening where the redundant systems and support for EVs are in place in the west.  So charging when out on the road is not a big deal as you can find charge points everywhere.

As @balthazar has pointed out, in use cases where say  a truck plowing snow needs to refuel to keep working, ICE wins out for quick refueling at this time compared to the long charge times.

For the average user, who can easily just plug into their 110 outlet at home and let the auto charge up overnight, you have a full battery pack in the morning. A BOLT or Tesla 3 is more than enough to go to and from work, run errands and still have plenty of power to get back home for the night.

We have to stop attempting to apply how we use ICE auto's to electrics.

Those that go home and remember to plug in their cell phone or laptop for the next day will find electric auto's very easy to own and use with much less maintenance.

Choices are coming and exciting times ahead for a new chapter in the auto industry.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yet you are trying to apply the old ICE mentality to electrics, as @Drew Dowdell has time and again pointed out. Electrics is a change in how you think about an auto and having it fueled and ready compared to ICE.

I know the electrical grid on the east coast needs a major rebuild and change, but that change is happening where the redundant systems and support for EVs are in place in the west.  So charging when out on the road is not a big deal as you can find charge points everywhere.

As @balthazar has pointed out, in use cases where say  a truck plowing snow needs to refuel to keep working, ICE wins out for quick refueling at this time compared to the long charge times.

For the average user, who can easily just plug into their 110 outlet at home and let the auto charge up overnight, you have a full battery pack in the morning. A BOLT or Tesla 3 is more than enough to go to and from work, run errands and still have plenty of power to get back home for the night.

We have to stop attempting to apply how we use ICE auto's to electrics.

Those that go home and remember to plug in their cell phone or laptop for the next day will find electric auto's very easy to own and use with much less maintenance.

Choices are coming and exciting times ahead for a new chapter in the auto industry.

Agreed and probably there are people that drive their Tesla all week and re-charge it once.  You could charge a Model S once a week and still drive 15,000 miles per year.  

Not to mention that Model S is faster than a Corvette ZR-1, Ferrari 488, or Lamborghini Hurcan.  You get more performance with an electric.  I feel like the range anxiety argument is just made up by auto companies that want to sell ICE engines and the oil companies and oil lobbyists of course.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Agreed and probably there are people that drive their Tesla all week and re-charge it once.  You could charge a Model S once a week and still drive 15,000 miles per year.  

Not to mention that Model S is faster than a Corvette ZR-1, Ferrari 488, or Lamborghini Hurcan.  You get more performance with an electric.  I feel like the range anxiety argument is just made up by auto companies that want to sell ICE engines and the oil companies and oil lobbyists of course.

There is for sure those that are older and do not like change just like there are those that are younger and find it easier to also not change and just accept their parents or grand parents old ways of thinking. 

People who EMBRACE change are the ones that will lead the future of auto enjoyment and change in society.

I agree that the Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode is faster than a Corvette ZR-1 or pretty much any of the AMG family, or any other ICE auto out there including the exotics from Europe.

• Upvote 1

Interesting what people are thinking. I have to agree, I think Rivian will get their pickup out before Ford will or anyone else.

Ford at the Brussels auto show this week announced a new Mondeo Wagon Hybrid.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/18/2019-ford-mondeo-revealed-at-brussels-motor-show-adds-hybrid-wa/

2019-ford-mondeo-update-1.jpg

Have to say this is a Sharp Looking Station Wagon.

@balthazar @A Horse With No Name @Robert Hall

What do you think?

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, smk4565 said:

electric Lighting

old-fashioned-light-bulb-for-vintage-home-ideas.jpg

Easy to predict it will be a minuscule percentage of overall F-150 sales.

12 hours ago, dfelt said:

Ford at the Brussels auto show this week announced a new Mondeo Wagon Hybrid.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/18/2019-ford-mondeo-revealed-at-brussels-motor-show-adds-hybrid-wa/

Have to say this is a Sharp Looking Station Wagon.

@balthazar @A Horse With No Name @Robert Hall

What do you think?

This generation has been around about 5 years in Europe...basically a Fusion wagon.  The Vignale trim in brown looks quite pleasant..

ford-mondeo-vignale-brown-exterior-front.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, ocnblu said:

old-fashioned-light-bulb-for-vintage-home-ideas.jpg

Easy to predict it will be a minuscule percentage of overall F-150 sales.

Disagree as I expect it to sell very well especially to county and city governments that want a truck with minimal maintenance and minimal cost to fuel. I see the EV Pickup truck doing very well for the large OEMs.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

What is dis.

E6B84E95-3CFB-48DE-8255-1598BD2B2059.jpeg

F150 EV concept

I think it will still be a mix of EV and ICE for a while. 

I can see cities using EV for a mix of things, while ranchers will still want to use their ICE for the ranch....

• Like 1

The very tangible obstacle, ESP with regards to municipal budgeting, is the common ultra high cost of EVs. Remains to be seen what Ford would price an F-150 EV at, but with modern vehicles' uber-long service intervals, the possible $25000 or more cost penalty would pay for 100 years of maintenance.

dave 87rs is correct- the mix will go for many many decades. And with 19 out of 42 gallons of a barrel of crude going to gas/diesel production, as EVs grow in market share, fuel prices will fall sharply, further extending IC demand (currently 98% of the USDM).

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 2

Seems Ford has confirmed that an electric truck exists and then we now also have the mules in testing with fake tail pipe and clearly a higher running cab as they try to cover the battery pack under the cab and bed with using a running board.

Electric Ford F-150

More pictures and a little more writting at the following link: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/05/electric-ford-f-150-prototype-spy-photos/#slide-7514178

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

An electric F-series is going to do 4 things right off the bat- reduce ground clearance, reduce payload, increase weight and increase cost.

On 1/19/2019 at 12:54 AM, balthazar said:

It's not ugly or anything, it just has no personality in profile. It could be any brand.

Actually I find it quite attractive.

24 minutes ago, balthazar said:

An electric F-series is going to do 4 things right off the bat- reduce ground clearance, reduce payload, increase weight and increase cost.

More importantly, trigger lots of infighting for comedy value here at C and G.

• Upvote 1