Ducati is joining the Future with Electric Bikes

David

ducati-for-education-press-conference_04

Claudio Domenicali, CEO of Ducati was recently on the sideline of the Podium ceremony for the continuation of wins in motor bike racing and this time it was for the electric bike. Ducati has been working with Bologna University to develop and deliver an assortment of electric bikes.

motostudent1_uc69992_low-e1547195712910.

ducati-for-education-press-conference_01

To quote the story that is in italian but your browser could translate it if you want is the following:

The " Moto Student " project is included in the "UniBo Motorsport" program. The Racing Team of the University of Bologna has created a prototype of electric racing bikes (in the gallery photos), entirely designed and built by a group of Engineering students of the University of Bologna, supported by the Ducati Foundation and also followed by technicians of the motor home of Borgo Panigale. The bike made its debut on the Spanish circuit of Aragon (October 2018), winning an exciting podium at its first exit, with the best result in the acceleration test: 0-100 km / h in 3 "85.

http://www.corsedimoto.com/gallery/claudio-domenicali-presto-una-ducati-elettrica/?refresh_ce-cp

Bike makers from the Asian rim to some in Europe have announced 10 year plans for electric bikes, but with the recent announcement by Harley Davidson with their Livewire bike going into production, it seems it pushed Ducati to step up their own time line and make the announcement that we will see e-Ducati very soon as the company gets ready to make a major announcement on this, this year.

What it will look like or be like is the mystery for now and will the company opt for a performance focused speed bike, sport bike or tackle the trails like many start ups in California have chosen to do is an additional mystery.

What we do know is that Ducati is gaining traction in the new e-Bike sport of racing and does have both street and trail bikes in concept form.

v0r52kzoqxdrkhuo8ytt.jpg

Student rendering above to working concept below.

DucatiTrailBike.jpg

• Agree 1

I find it interesting that we do not see the attack on electric bikes of various sizes the way a battle is going on over electrification of cars, CUVs, SUVs and trucks. Interesting 🤔

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

I find it interesting that we do not see the attack on electric bikes of various sizes the way a battle is going on over electrification of cars, CUVs, SUVs and trucks. Interesting 🤔

Meh, foregone conclusion.  Not worth the fight.  I believe loud pipes save lives.  But... Darwin Awards are a real thing, alas.

39 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Meh, foregone conclusion.  Not worth the fight.  I believe loud pipes save lives.  But... Darwin Awards are a real thing, alas.

Nope, loud pipes cost lives, I see more people freak out due to the abusive noise of Harley's and be it pedestrians or drivers, the bikes still get hit.

Tuned pipes is different, but the idiot Harley crowd seems to think ear breaking noise is best, must be deaf most of them anyway.

• Agree 2

I'm all in favor of the EV option in bikes, but "loud pipes cost lives" just isn't true.   

I think an electric bike would be fun to ride. I want just a bit more range on them though.  I'll be going for a gasser BMW or Kawasaki for my first bike. 

23 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You have got to be kidding me.. loud pipes COST lives??? I can't see that being further from the truth. 

Personally, I have zero interest in my motorcycle being electric. Zero. 

Well, I have Zero for you then... :AH-HA:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I'd definitely love to ride one but I genuinely enjoy the shifting and the sound of going through the gears. 

There are so many good options out there now in the naked sport bike category that I would have a tough time choosing. I always want to default to the 3 cylinder Triumph Street Triple because I loved the triple in my Daytona but there are a lot of other options that weren't around when I was riding last. It would likely be between a Triumph, Ducati, or BMW though. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Let's start with some basic physics and a little rationality. Your exhaust is pointed backwards and by the nature of you traveling forward, you're actually leaving the sound behind you as you move forward. If that concept is confusing, think of the sound of a fire truck passing you with its siren blaring. The siren is pointed forward because the purpose is to warn driver’s the truck is approaching from behind. The next time you hear one coming, notice that it’s louder when it’s coming toward you than when it’s going away.

The one comprehensive, reliable study of motorcycle crashes in this country is the well known "Hurt Report," Harry Hurt and his team found that 64.9 percent of multiple-vehicle motorcycle crashes were the fault of the car driver and “the typical accident in this category is portrayed by the automobile in traffic turning left into the path of the oncoming motorcycle.” That means the bigger danger is still ahead, not behind, but most of the racket from loud pipes is just pissing off the people behind you, while doing very little to warn those in front of you.

You know what does help people notice you? Wearing hi-viz gear, adding auxiliary lighting to your bike, and upgrading your horn are all great ways to make your presence known. Not only do they do a better job than an aftermarket exhaust, but they also cost a lot less.

This is found on many articles addressing the Loud Pipes Save Lives debate.

Excellent Read about Loud Pipes: http://canadamotoguide.com/2016/07/29/the-truth-about-loud-pipes/

28 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Let's start with some basic physics and a little rationality. Your exhaust is pointed backwards and by the nature of you traveling forward, you're actually leaving the sound behind you as you move forward. If that concept is confusing, think of the sound of a fire truck passing you with its siren blaring. The siren is pointed forward because the purpose is to warn driver’s the truck is approaching from behind. The next time you hear one coming, notice that it’s louder when it’s coming toward you than when it’s going away.

I thought you are an engineer.  Speed of sound is 767mph.  No Harley rides at that speed :)

So they can be heard way ahead of their arrival even though pipes are pointed backwards.

The fact that they are louder when they get closer is attenuation of the waves in medium.  The change in pitch is Doppler effect.

Come on man, you can do better than that!

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ykX said:

I thought you are an engineer.  Speed of sound is 767mph.  No Harley rides at that speed :)

So they can be heard way ahead of their arrival even though pipes are pointed backwards.

The fact that they are louder when they get closer is attenuation of the waves in medium.  The change in pitch is Doppler effect.

Come on man, you can do better than that!

I get that but the doppler effect does affect the sound and while sound is faster than a Harley, the pipes would still need to be pointed forward for best effect supporting loud noise saves lives and as the fire trucks prove out, their siren is pointed forward.

I still stand by that the noise of the pipes does not save lives as much as proper bright visible garments and auto driver attention to bike riders.

But I get the point you and everyone else is saying.

I still say that Loud pipes save lives is as foolish as costing lives. :P 

On 1/22/2019 at 11:17 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

My first choice is still the BMW R9T scrambler. The Kawa is a good starter bike at less than half the price of the BMW.

The R9T is an underwhelming bike. Nothing really wrong with it, it just doesn't stir any emotions and it just feels....... German. 

On 1/22/2019 at 11:15 AM, ccap41 said:

I'd definitely love to ride one but I genuinely enjoy the shifting and the sound of going through the gears. 

There are so many good options out there now in the naked sport bike category that I would have a tough time choosing. I always want to default to the 3 cylinder Triumph Street Triple because I loved the triple in my Daytona but there are a lot of other options that weren't around when I was riding last. It would likely be between a Triumph, Ducati, or BMW though. 

If you like Triumph motorcycles you just stoned for the Ford thing and being a Dallas fan. Have not ridden in years but love Triumph bikes.

7 hours ago, Thed said:

The R9T is an underwhelming bike. Nothing really wrong with it, it just doesn't stir any emotions and it just feels....... German. 

I really like its looks and the boxer engine. It's also just about the largest engine I can get in a bike under 500 lbs.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I really like its looks and the boxer engine. It's also just about the largest engine I can get in a bike under 500 lbs.

Ducati Scrambler 1100,

Ducati Monster 1200,

Ducati Hypermotard 950

Triumph Speed Triple(1050)

Yamaha MT-10

Yamaha MT-09

Honda CB1000R

Suzuki GXS-1000

Kawasaki Z900 

These all weigh under 500lbs and are naked bikes. I get liking the looks but it absolutely is not the most engine for a bike weighing under 500lbs. I think all of those would wipe the floor with a R9T. 

30 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ducati Scrambler 1100,

Ducati Monster 1200,

Ducati Hypermotard 950

Triumph Speed Triple(1050)

Yamaha MT-10

Yamaha MT-09

Honda CB1000R

Suzuki GXS-1000

Kawasaki Z900 

These all weigh under 500lbs and are naked bikes. I get liking the looks but it absolutely is not the most engine for a bike weighing under 500lbs. I think all of those would wipe the floor with a R9T. 

I did say "Just about".  I've looked at more than a few of those in your list, but a number of them aren't what I'm looking for.  I'm very much into the "modern classic" look bike.  The CB1000R, Monster, and Z900, for example, look very modern.  The Ducati Scrambler was on the list, but I just like other bikes more for the same price.

The list of what I like is very different from what you listed in the looks department.

BMW R9T Scrambler

Honda CB1100 EX (over the 500lb limit though)

Kawasaki Vulcan S (only a 650, but pretty light and faster than some 900s)

Triumph Bonneville 120

Max speed isn't my primary purchase reason, I'm still too new a rider for that. It simply has to have sufficient power while having the look I want. All of the above, with the possible exception of the Vulcan S, meet that.  The weight limit thing is just to aid in long-distance transport so that I don't have to use a trailer.

Still, with 110hp and 86 lb-ft of torque on 1170 cc of the R9T, "wiping the floor" will be more down to rider skill than bike performance in this grouping.  I've ridden the R9T a few times and it is plenty good for me.  My second choice is actually the CB1100 EX if it weren't for the weight. Such a smooth bike. 

• Like 1

@Drew Dowdell I am really likeing the Zero's SR bike. Pure Electric Naked bike with 150 miles of range.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/

More reviews on the 2019 electric Motorcycle options.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@Drew Dowdell I am really likeing the Zero's SR bike. Pure Electric Naked bike with 150 miles of range.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/

More reviews on the 2019 electric Motorcycle options.

Na, I'll go with an ICE at least this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Na, I'll go with an ICE at least this time.

I understand that, but did you check it out and do you like the looks? What are your thoughts on this bike? Seems to fit in well with current bike design being an EV.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

I understand that, but did you check it out and do you like the looks? What are your thoughts on this bike? Seems to fit in well with current bike design being an EV.

Looks good for a naked sports bike. Just not my personal style. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...