Jump to content

Dodge News: Next-Generation Dodge Challenger To Embrace Electrification


William Maley

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Sry needed to plug in, been driving 5 minutes and ran out of juice

They make little blue pills for that Blu...Fiat even used one in an advert.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2019 at 2:49 AM, ocnblu said:

Car companies have always tried things.  Some things work, others do not.  Such is life with electrics.  They've been tried and failed for a century.

True they have failed but not the power trains as has been proven with commercial electric trucks used for years on the East Coast. It has always been our tech of Power Storage, AKA Batteries that failed us. Now we are finally getting the Batteries to a point where EVs make sense.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The fastest surface vehicles are all electrics.

And the Porsche that just set a Nurembergring  lap record was a hybrid. Get used to hybrids and electrics as part of the automotive landscape.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

I saw this article today while checking for spy photos and whatnot about the next Charger / Challenger ...

https://www.motor1.com/news/376641/new-dodge-charger-challenger-hint/

- strange odometer reading in photo of 2023, thought to cryptically suggest a further delay in the release

- electrification possible/probably

- retro styling will still be used for both cars while offering a lot of new and current (for the time of release) features

- Challenger has outsold both Mustang and Camaro and the Camaro is slated to go away (?) ... didn't know that ... so delay makes sense

I wonder if Dodge can get by a little longer with platforms that are as long in the tooth as the ones they have now, though you can't really knock these platforms.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, trinacriabob said:

I saw this article today while checking for spy photos and whatnot about the next Charger / Challenger ...

https://www.motor1.com/news/376641/new-dodge-charger-challenger-hint/

- strange odometer reading in photo of 2023, thought to cryptically suggest a further delay in the release

- electrification possible/probably

- retro styling will still be used for both cars while offering a lot of new and current (for the time of release) features

- Challenger has outsold both Mustang and Camaro and the Camaro is slated to go away (?) ... didn't know that ... so delay makes sense

I wonder if Dodge can get by a little longer with platforms that are as long in the tooth as the ones they have now, though you can't really knock these platforms.

Thanks for posting the story, that is a good read and I would agree with the 2023 hint.

I think one solid reason for the success has been the price with the body style. No short bunker pony car, but an actual comfy cruiser.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Thanks for posting the story, that is a good read and I would agree with the 2023 hint.

I think one solid reason for the success has been the price with the body style. No short bunker pony car, but an actual comfy cruiser.

In a world of mediocre FWD 4cyl CUVs and ugly, bloated trucks,  a hefty, retro stylish 2dr coupe w/ available V8 and manual is very appealing to some...  I really want one.   An R/T Scat Pack w/ wide body in F8 green (or Octane Red) would be great. 

 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

In a world of mediocre FWD 4cyl CUVs and ugly, bloated trucks,  a hefty, retro stylish 2dr coupe w/ available V8 and manual is very appealing to some...  I really want one. 

I can actually fit in a Challenger where I have to fold up to get into a Mustang or Camaro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I can actually fit in a Challenger where I have to fold up to get into a Mustang or Camaro.

Yeah.. I'm only 6'0", but my head rubs the headliner in a Mustang and Camaro, and I can't see out of a Camaro w/o a periscope.   I've sat in Challengers several times at the dealer and at shows, and I fit in fine even w/ the sunroof (which I'd want). 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah.. I'm only 6'0", but my head rubs the headliner in a Mustang and Camaro, and I can't see out of a Camaro w/o a periscope.   I've sat in Challengers several times at the dealer and at shows, and I fit in fine even w/ the sunroof (which I'd want). 

For me, an Electric Challenger would be great as a weekend cruise car with the wife. 300 to 400 mile battery pack would cover the fun short road trips for me.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dfelt said:

For me, an Electric Challenger would be great as a weekend cruise car with the wife. 300 to 400 mile battery pack would cover the fun short road trips for me.

I'd be happy w/ the regular 392 Hemi engine and 6 speed manual..485 hp is enough. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Thanks for posting the story, that is a good read and I would agree with the 2023 hint.

I think one solid reason for the success has been the price with the body style. No short bunker pony car, but an actual comfy cruiser.

I agree.  There's a lot of bang for the buck there and, with other American car makers peeling back their passenger cars, that might justify that market niche for them.  The article applied to both the Challenger and the Charger.  I'll just take a Charger base model with the most economical gasoline powerplant or, if up and running ... and proven, I'll take it with electrification.  I have had nothing but positive experiences with the Chargers I've rented.  And this is coming from someone who has disliked Chrysler for as long as I can remember.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I agree.  There's a lot of bang for the buck there and, with other American car makers peeling back their passenger cars, that might justify that market niche for them.  The article applied to both the Challenger and the Charger.  I'll just take a Charger base model with the most economical gasoline powerplant or, if up and running ... and proven, I'll take it with electrification.  I have had nothing but positive experiences with the Chargers I've rented.  And this is coming from someone who has disliked Chrysler for as long as I can remember.

I would consider a 300 over the Charger for one reason: GM will not release a semi-affordable RWD large sedan. GM expects you to pay Cadillac prices for that. SAD.

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, riviera74 said:

I would consider a 300 over the Charger for one reason: GM will not release a semi-affordable RWD large sedan. GM expects you to pay Cadillac prices for that. SAD.

I could see that logic.  If a person awaits the next model release, the 300 sadly won't be in the fold.  They've also dropped any kind of promotion for the car.  I wonder if it would fare well with both a refresh and good marketing.  They were certainly well liked in their first 3 or 4 years and last 3 or 4 years on the market.  I see a lot of 300s around.  Some of them are piloted by gang banger types but the newer ones are driven by people who look like they can drive whatever they want and/or spend more money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...