Chicago 2019: 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition: Comments

Toyota is celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Land Cruiser by introducing a special edition model at the Chicago Auto Show in a couple of weeks. The Land Cruiser Heritage Edition comes with some special touches such as the vintage "Land Cruiser" badging on the side, bronze 18-inch BBS wheels, black exterior trim, and the removal of the running boards and lower side-molding to improve ground clearance. The interior is draped with black leather and bronze accents.

It will still be powered by a 5.7L V8 engine with 381 horsepower, eight-speed automatic, and four-wheel drive.

No mention of price, but Toyota is only planning on building 1,200 Heritage Edition models. It arrives at dealers later this summer.

Gallery: 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition

Source: Toyota

2020 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition Celebrates 60+ Years as SUV Icon

• Exclusive Exterior and Interior Trim, Limited Availability
  • Special Bronze-colored forged-aluminum BBS Wheels
  • 381-hp V8 and 8-Speed Transmission
  • Full-Capability 4-Wheel Drive with Advanced Chassis Control
  • Standard Features Include Downhill Assist Control, Hill Start Assist, CRAWL Control, and Off-Road Turn Assist

PLANO, TX, January 23, 2019 – Six decades and millions of adventurous miles in the making, the 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition melds exclusive design with added function for its debut just ahead of the Chicago Auto Show, where it will be shown to the public for the first time.

The Land Cruiser Heritage Edition honors this legendary vehicle’s continuous evolution, from bare-bones, mountain-climbing 4x4 to world-renowned, full-capability premium-luxury utility vehicle. The Heritage Edition also celebrates the Land Cruiser’s continuous place in Toyota’s U.S. lineup since 1958. For the 2020 model year there will be 1,200 Heritage Editions available, with units going on in late summer of 2019. Pricing will be announced closer to on-sale date.

The 2020 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition, only offered as a two-row model to maximize cargo capacity, is dressed elegantly for the occasion. The choice of Midnight Black Metallic or Blizzard Pearl exterior color is uniquely styled with a black-accented grille and bronze-colored BBS 18 x 8.0-inch forged aluminum wheels featuring a “TOYOTA” center cap. A vintage-style Land Cruiser exterior badge evokes the vehicle’s long, accomplished history in an understated way.

To complement its purpose-built overlanding focus, the running boards and chrome lower body side moldings of the standard Land Cruiser are deleted, while darkened headlight housings, fog lights with dark chrome surrounds and side mirrors with darkened chrome details underscore the vehicle’s sophisticated presence.

Highlighting the Land Cruiser’s renown for blending luxury with capability, the Heritage Edition is exclusively outfitted with black leather-trimmed upholstery. The bronze wheel color carries inside for the contrast stitching used throughout the cabin, including the steering wheel, door trim, center stack, console and seats. Finally, the Land Cruiser Heritage Edition features all-weather floor mats and cargo liner, so it’s ready to get out and have fun.

V8, 4WD Powerhouse
The Toyota Land Cruiser remains a benchmark for combining no-compromise capability with coddling luxury. Its sole available powertrain is a brawny yet refined 381-horsepower 5.7-liter DOHC V8 engine, which produces 401 lb.-ft. of torque. The 8-speed Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i) teams with a versatile full-time 4WD system, which uses a TORSEN limited-slip locking center differential and a 2-speed transfer case with selectable low-range.

Land Cruiser’s off-road capability is rooted in high-strength body-on-frame construction and sophisticated double-wishbone front and four-link coil-spring rear suspension. Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) hydraulically adjusts the stabilizer bars to enhance on-road smoothness and off-road wheel articulation. Off-road prowess is supported by a plethora of advanced assist technologies, including Downhill Assist Control, Hill Start Assist, CRAWL Control, and Off-Road Turn Assist. Using the Multi-Terrain Select system, the driver can match wheel slip control to the surface and driving conditions.

Skid plates help to protect the front suspension, radiator, fuel tank, and transfer case, and Multi-Terrain Monitor provides nearly 360-degree visibility on tight trails. Equipped with a standard Trailer Towing Package, the Land Cruiser can pull a trailer up to 8,100 pounds.

Roughing It in Luxury
The 2020 Heritage Edition features Land Cruiser’s full complement of amenities, including ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel with power tilt and telescoping and memory, power moonroof, four-zone automatic climate control with 28 cabin air vents, and Smart Key keyless entry with push-button start. For additional storage options, the Heritage Edition removes the cool box in the center console of the front seat.  

A 9-inch touchscreen infotainment system features standard Premium JBL® Audio with Integrated Navigation, 14 JBL speakers, split-screen capability, advanced voice recognition, Siri® Eyes Free mode, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, Bluetooth® connectivity and music streaming, and Qi wireless phone charging with compatible phones.

Toyota Safety Connect (with three years of complimentary service) uses onboard cellular technology, independent of the driver’s phone, to provide such services as Automatic Collision Notification, Stolen Vehicle Location, Emergency Assistance Button (SOS), and GPS-enhanced Roadside Assistance.

All Land Cruiser models come standard with Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P). Using millimeter-wave radar and a monocular camera sensor to detect a preceding pedestrian or a preceding vehicle, TSS-P Pre-Collision System is designed to automatically apply braking if necessary to help mitigate or avoid collisions in certain conditions. The system includes Lane Departure Alert with Sway Warning System, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, and Automatic High Beams.

In addition to TSS-P, Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross Traffic Alert are also standard.

View full article

11 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Aren't they all the heritage edition?  This version has been on sale since 2007, we are entering the 13th model year without an update.  That is pathetic.  Toyota isn't strapped for cash, update your vehicles.

I wouldn't say there hasn't been an update... 

2007 land cruiser.jpg

2018 land cruiser.jpg

• Agree 1

4.7L V8: 278hp, 5spd auto trans

5.7L V8: 381hp, 8spd auto trans

Just kidding.. the 5.7 was introduced in 2008(making 381hp). Looking further into it, it appears this is basically the same from 2008 to now. Wiki says 2007-present but maybe that was global and in 2008 it was new here. The biggest mechanical difference is in 2008 it had a 6spd auto and now it has an 8spd auto. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ykX said:

Personally, I would take this Land Cruiser in  a heartbeat over the G-class (which starts at about $125k)

So true, the G-Wagon is not worth the money, no matter the tech they put into it. The G-Wagon is just printing money for MB as it is the same spec wagon sold to military peeps around the world at inflated prices.

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

So true, the G-Wagon is not worth the money, no matter the tech they put into it. The G-Wagon is just printing money for MB as it is the same spec wagon sold to military peeps around the world at inflated prices.

It was until 2019* when it was brand new.

Edited by ccap41
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Aren't they all the heritage edition?  This version has been on sale since 2007, we are entering the 13th model year without an update.  That is pathetic.  Toyota isn't strapped for cash, update your vehicles.

Says the fan of the recently updated, after four decades, G-Wagon. Even if money were no object, I’d still take a Land Cruiser over any G-Wagon. Even if their looks are a little dated, they are still built like tanks and will literally run forever with normal maintenance. 

18 minutes ago, ykX said:

Personally, I would take this Land Cruiser in  a heartbeat over the G-class (which starts at about $125k)

I see someone beat me to the punch lol.

• Agree 2

It would actually be tough for me. I like the smaller size of the G Wagen and I don't really want a 3rd row. This is all assuming money was no issue. If money were a concern.. I'd actually just get a Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged(starts at 86k so comparably priced to the 84k LC)

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The LC is probably way more reliable and cheaper to maintain in the long run...

Probably just means production started in 2007 for the 2008 model year...

Don’t forget an absolutely insane resale value for the LC. Insane what even twenty year old models fetch with 250+K miles on them. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I’m guessing, by your Toyota logic, that Mercedes was also strapped for cash (and similarly pathetic)...for four decades?

I see some things haven’t changed around here. Fanboys will always be fanboys, even when logic is completely thrown out the window.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The LC is probably way more reliable and cheaper to maintain in the long run...

Plus it is more spacious inside and probably more comfortable on-road and off. 

Off-road wise I bet it is at least as good G-wagon, or maybe even more capable.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Just the exterior styling.. Aren't all the body panels, chassis, transmission, interior all new? 

Interior is all new.  But I look at say, the door hardware... like the handles and latches and such. That's all the same. The exposed screw heads are still all there.

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Maybe the $50k price makes it a smarter buy, but the G-wagen is better off road, has more power, 9 gears, probably gets better fuel economy even though both suck in that regard, and the G is way more luxurious.  Plus the G has a chassis developed in 2018, no more 1979 chassis.

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Don’t forget an absolutely insane resale value for the LC. Insane what even twenty year old models fetch with 250+K miles on them. 

I have seen 2005-2006 G-wagens with over 200k miles even near 300k miles that sell for $20-25k still.  The resale value is huge on those too.

I wouldn’t buy either personally, I am a car person.

21 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Interior is all new.  But I look at say, the door hardware... like the handles and latches and such. That's all the same. The exposed screw heads are still all there.

The door handles/latches  spare tire cover and headlight washer nozzles are the only carryover parts.  Although the 4 liter V8 went in the old G550 a couple years ago but the AMG’s has the old 5.5 liter.  

The doors, hood, and other parts have been so mildly reshaped we're really stretching the definition of "all new".  I bet, for example, that the doors and hood from the prior G-Class would physically fit into the openings of the new one and maybe just some trim or a hinge is slightly out of alignment.

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The doors, hood, and other parts have been so mildly reshaped we're really stretching the definition of "all new".  I bet, for example, that the doors and hood from the prior G-Class would physically fit into the openings of the new one and maybe just some trim or a hinge is slightly out of alignment.

2018 vs 2019 G Wagen

"What's the difference between the 2018 and 2019 Mercedes-Benz G-Class? Well, if you're talking about styling, the answer is "barely anything." They look exactly the same. If you're talking about everything else, though, the answer is "virtually everything." There are only five parts that carry over to the new 2019 G-Class from its predecessor: The door handles, spare tire cover, sun visors, headlight washer nozzles and a bracket somewhere you can't actually see. The term "all-new" is often overused, but this is really as "all-new" as you can get."

" It's 2.1 inches longer, 3 inches wider and its wheelbase has been spread by 1.6 inches. It didn't really get any taller, which is probably for the best. Thanks to an increased use of lighter-weight materials, about 375 pounds was also shaved from its curb weight."

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

2019 was a ground up new vehicle. 

I know that but he was touting it long before the 2019 came out and never once did he call it “pathetic” that Mercedes had not updated it. That is my point, which I thought was pretty obvious. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Maybe except the new G is about 3 inches wider so that old hood would not fit, the wheelbase is longer but I don’t think overall length is up more than an inch or two.  The new one is 190 inches long I think the old was 187 or 188.

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Maybe except the new G is about 3 inches wider so that old hood would not fit, the wheelbase is longer but I don’t think overall length is up more than an inch or two.  The new one is 190 inches long I think the old was 187 or 188.

I still think it was pathetic of Mercedes to wait decades to give it a reasonable update. Not like they didn’t have the money. 😉

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I still think it was pathetic of Mercedes to wait decades to give it a reasonable update. Not like they didn’t have the money. 😉

But Toyota leaves a lot of stuff out to rot on the vine, the Tacoma and Tundra had 10+ year model runs, ditto for 4Runner, Lexus GX, Lexus LX, etc.  

And also, G-wagen sales rose consistently from 2009 through 2017, the older it got the better it sold, LOL.   Mercedes constantly put out other new product, with the G-wagen they were building what those buyers demanded.

51 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

But Toyota leaves a lot of stuff out to rot on the vine, the Tacoma and Tundra had 10+ year model runs, ditto for 4Runner, Lexus GX, Lexus LX, etc.  

And also, G-wagen sales rose consistently from 2009 through 2017, the older it got the better it sold, LOL.   Mercedes constantly put out other new product, with the G-wagen they were building what those buyers demanded.

Yet what Toyota has been left to ROT on the vine as you say like the G-Wagon was. Rotting from 1972 inception till 2018. Yes according to MB they did updates and tweaks, but the core of the auto was the same for 46 years.

Yes if you go by Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_G-Class) you will say it was new due to a revised chassis so 1990 to 2018 was a new model compared to 1972 to 1989. 

So if we go that route you have 17 years before any major changes to the core and then 28 years.

Toyota has not left anything that long on the same platform.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yet what Toyota has been left to ROT on the vine as you say like the G-Wagon was. Rotting from 1972 inception till 2018. Yes according to MB they did updates and tweaks, but the core of the auto was the same for 46 years.

Yes if you go by Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_G-Class) you will say it was new due to a revised chassis so 1990 to 2018 was a new model compared to 1972 to 1989. 

So if we go that route you have 17 years before any major changes to the core and then 28 years.

We will just completely sidestep the fact that one of those “rotting vines”, the Tacoma, is still the best selling mid-size truck by a mile and was just redesigned a few years ago (the 4Runner also continues sell like hot cakes despite the rise of CUVs). It’s sales numbers NEVER wavered but yet SMK can’t apply his G-Wagon “logic” to Toyota. Fanboy logic 101.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, dfelt said:

I also feel like that could be said for every singly luxury branded vehicle ever created. 

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

the Tacoma, is still the best selling mid-size truck by a mile

I'm impressed their sales never dipped when the objectively better GM twins hit the market. 

This is my exact reason for hating, while admiring Toyota. That split goes about 9-% hate, and 10% admiration if U need numbers. They pull this BS off all the time.. no flack.. no long degrading articles.. Corolla is an example. They take a vehicle and milk the sob for 5, 10, 15 years and get to tweak imperfections in reliability all the way thru.. while GM has to change their vehicles every 5 years and have new tech be vetted til its perfect, then start new again on new tech.. repeat. This is hands down, along with the GWagon and Nissan/Infiniti Quasimodo looking mofos, SUVs I wouldn't buy with your money. They are ugly, old, and have little that I find desirable. The off road thing is nominal for most, as I have not once found a person who takes a brand new $85K+ SUV out on a rock climb. It just doesn't happen. And if the badges are pretty much where the "Heritage" ends then I've truly lost faith in the Yuppies of the world. 

Hey Chevy. PLEASE GO TAKE A TAHOE Z71, MAKE IT A TWO DOOR, WITH A DROP DOWN TAIL, POP UP GLASS, GIVE IT A COMPLETE RUBBERIZED FLOOR, RAISE IT 3 INCHES, GIVE IT ALL TERRAINS ON A 15-16 INCH WHEEL, WITH A SPARE BEHIND THE SEATS.. AND CALL IT THE BLAZER K5 HERITAGE EDITION AND USE THESE EMBLEMS.. PITTED AND EVERYTHING WITH A HINT OF RUST

59-055-2.jpg

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I also feel like that could be said for every singly luxury branded vehicle ever created. 

I'm impressed their sales never dipped when the objectively better GM twins hit the market. 

Better or not, clearly reputation speaks volumes. There have been years where RAM and GM have been better than Ford yet F-150s still sold like hot cakes. 

15 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Better or not, clearly reputation speaks volumes. There have been years where RAM and GM have been better than Ford yet F-150s still sold like hot cakes. 

True but the Colorado seems like it's better by a larger margin and AMERICAN company selling trucks. I just expected the twins to have more of a negative sales effect on the Taco. As a Taco fan, I'm glad a better truck came out as competition. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

True but the Colorado seems like it's better by a larger margin and AMERICAN company selling trucks. I just expected the twins to have more of a negative sales effect on the Taco. As a Taco fan, I'm glad a better truck came out as competition. 

Again, I’m not debating that. I did some part time work last year at a Chevy dealership and got a lot of time behind the wheel of several Colorado’s. They ride nice, sit comfortably, and have some nice engine options (for once) but it is hard to put a chink in the armor of the Tacoma because even if the Colorado is better, it’s not like the Tacoma is totally slacking off. Tacoma owners are a loyal bunch as well and their word of mouth has helped keep the Tacoma ahead in sales for years. I’m convinced of that fact. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Hey Chevy. PLEASE GO TAKE A TAHOE Z71, MAKE IT A TWO DOOR, WITH A DROP DOWN TAIL, POP UP GLASS, GIVE IT A COMPLETE RUBBERIZED FLOOR, RAISE IT 3 INCHES, GIVE IT ALL TERRAINS ON A 15-16 INCH WHEEL, WITH A SPARE BEHIND THE SEATS.. AND CALL IT THE BLAZER K5 HERITAGE EDITION AND USE THESE EMBLEMS.. PITTED AND EVERYTHING WITH A HINT OF RUST

59-055-2.jpg

I want my K5 Blazer in Deep Forest Metallic Green, with BF Goodrich A/T tires please along with detroit lockers front and rear and a 65 to 1 crawl ratio like the Hummers had. :D 

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Sales numbers would indicate that while the Taco faithful have stuck to them every other brand suffered and lost sales to the GM Twins.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I want my K5 Blazer in Deep Forest Metallic Green, with BF Goodrich A/T tires please along with detroit lockers front and rear and a 65 to 1 crawl ratio like the Hummers had. :D 

Sales numbers would indicate that while the Taco faithful have stuck to them every other brand suffered and lost sales to the GM Twins.

So... Nissan..? lol

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/trucks/frontier/build-price.html?filter=king-cab®,4x4#summary/A1ZdTA1o5Uwj-QYsi6Mo

Go to this link and be amazed by the amount of stuff the Frontier PRO-4X King Cab packs into its price for $33k, before my accessorization!  A potential buyer just cannot get near as much kit in the competition for the price.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:52 PM, dfelt said:

Is the Land Cruiser better than a Yukon or Expedition or Navigator?  If not, then time for Toyota to make an update.  The G-wagen didn't really have completion other than maybe a top end Range Rover for all those years, and people still bought it over the Range Rover.

Different niche.  The Seqouia is their competitor for the Expedition and Tahoe/Yukon.   The LC is an international product competing w/ the Nissan Patrol. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

On 1/26/2019 at 4:33 AM, ocnblu said:

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/trucks/frontier/build-price.html?filter=king-cab®,4x4#summary/A1ZdTA1o5Uwj-QYsi6Mo

Go to this link and be amazed by the amount of stuff the Frontier PRO-4X King Cab packs into its price for $33k, before my accessorization!  A potential buyer just cannot get near as much kit in the competition for the price.

So their gimmick is to offer them at fire sale prices. Kind of proves my point about them versus the competition. To pretend otherwise is a bit foolish.