The Blackwing V8 – CT6-V

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

8 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Escalade and CT6 aside, where would the Blackwing go?

Every Cadillac vehicle should have the capacity to include this engine, at least as an option.  Everything else should be beneath them.

• Like 3

Just now, ocnblu said:

Every Cadillac vehicle should have the capacity to include this engine, at least as an option.  Everything else should be beneath them.

I could the see the CT5-V getting it (or whatever the successor to the CTS-V will be called).   I can't see it being used in transverse engine crossovers, though. 

8 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I could the see the CT5-V getting it (or whatever the successor to the CTS-V will be called).   I can't see it being used in transverse engine crossovers, though. 

My point exactly.  Every Cadillac vehicle should have the capacity to include this engine.

Cadillac just won the Rolex24hrs race and as such is undefeated this season.

Seems those pesky Germans are not able to win.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/cadillac/

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17920378819196251/

• Agree 1

Two things Id like to share and rant about.

1. Is it really a Cadillac though?  The engine, the chassis... Isnt that just the old Chevrolet mid-engined race car that was called Corvette last year?  With a SBC?  'Cause I dont think its the Blackwing...  Not that Im not happy about the victory, its just that I do not think its a Cadillac victory.  But rather a GM victory...

2. The C7Rs did not get a podium finish in their respective class. Im bummed out for that...

Edited by oldshurst442

13 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

1. Is it really a Cadillac though?  The engine, the chassis... Isnt that just the old Chevrolet mid-engined race car that was called Corvette last year?  With a SBC?  'Cause I dont think its the Blackwing...  Not that Im not happy about the victory, its just that I do not think its a Cadillac victory.  But rather a GM victory... 

I assume it's just marketing...GM chose to use the Cadillac brand in IMSA prototype class this year instead of Chevrolet. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

2. The C7Rs did not get a podium finish in their respective class. Im bummed out for that...

No matter what, it is advertising for Cadillac which is badly needed due to the past idiots who still could not figure out how to market and sell a product line.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

One criticism.. why not show a CT6-V? Just one or twice? They showed it going around a track, from a driver position. Why not a direct side and front shot?

One would think they could get those shots done for better marketing.

Much better from a marketing and image perspective, this is the track Cadillac should be on, and this is the sort of engine they should be building.

Problem is lack of places to put it, since they build their whole crossover line on FWD platforms.  And the CT6 has a questionable future.  I would put this in Escalade also, and not put it in any Chevy.

3 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Much better from a marketing and image perspective, this is the track Cadillac should be on, and this is the sort of engine they should be building.

Problem is lack of places to put it, since they build their whole crossover line on FWD platforms.  And the CT6 has a questionable future.  I would put this in Escalade also, and not put it in any Chevy.

Yeah, the AWD/FWD transverse engine crossovers are just generic lease appliances, just fancier versions of the Chevy/GMC/Buick appliances--nothing significant.  The upcoming CT5 and the NG Escalade will be the next places to showcase the new V8. 

Edited by Robert Hall

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, the FWD crossovers are just generic lease appliances, just fancier versions of the Chevy/GMC/Buick appliances.  The upcoming CT5 and the NG Escalade will be the places to showcase the new V8. 

Right, but the problem is the CT5 will not sell well, because the Lexus GS, Audi A6, Infiniti Q70, CTS, ATS, etc all don't sell well.  People want crossovers, which is why Cadillac need crossovers that can fit a performance V8 edition.   

1 minute ago, smk4565 said:

Right, but the problem is the CT5 will not sell well, because the Lexus GS, Audi A6, Infiniti Q70, CTS, ATS, etc all don't sell well.  People want crossovers, which is why Cadillac need crossovers that can fit a performance V8 edition.   

The problem is GM only does AWD/FWD transverse engine CUVs.   This engine wouldn't make since in that kind of platform. 

Edited by Robert Hall

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

@smk4565  The CT6 will live on. The only question is where it will be built... not if it will be built. 

So they will hand build the engine in Kentucky, ship it to China to install in the car, and then ship it all back, meanwhile dealing with possible tariffs both ways.  Sounds expensive.

So they will hand build the engine in Kentucky, ship it to China to install in the car, and then ship it all back, meanwhile dealing with possible tariffs both ways.  Sounds expensive.

I think they are still looking for a US home for it.   But remember, this engine is going to most likely be used in the Escalade as well, so those engines could be used for that (and they'll need a lot of them)

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The problem is GM only does AWD/FWD transverse engine CUVs.   This engine wouldn't make since in that kind of platform. 

Right, poor planning on their part to not develop a rear drive crossover platform, or build crossovers off the Alpha or Omega platform, both those platforms were designed post 2010, they both should have been designed for crossover use in mind, crossovers were hot then too.

I would actually throw away XT4, XT5, XT6 as soon as a new rear drive crossover line was ready and give them word names like Lincoln is doing and put that garbage in the past.  GM is making profit, they can afford 3 rear drive crossovers especially when 1 platform can probably underpin all 3, and they already have the V8 paid for, and a 3 liter turbo V6 and 10 transmission paid for.  

So Blackwing to show up in CT6, CT5 maybe, XT7 if that happens and the next generation of Escalade.

I have read in many places that design chief Andrew Smith says the new face of the Cadillac EV will be the new Face of Cadillac going forward.

image.png

Be interesting to see this take on an Escalade.

Has kind of a Cylones look to it. Just need a red line going back n forth across the top of the Caddy symbol. lol :P 

2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Right, poor planning on their part to not develop a rear drive crossover platform, or build crossovers off the Alpha or Omega platform, both those platforms were designed post 2010, they both should have been designed for crossover use in mind, crossovers were hot then too.

I would actually throw away XT4, XT5, XT6 as soon as a new rear drive crossover line was ready and give them word names like Lincoln is doing and put that garbage in the past.  GM is making profit, they can afford 3 rear drive crossovers especially when 1 platform can probably underpin all 3, and they already have the V8 paid for, and a 3 liter turbo V6 and 10 transmission paid for.  

Why is it POOR PLANNING or Throw it away when Cadillac has led in selling luxury FWD CUVs. 

Your love of MB shows they have no problem selling a piss poor FWD appliance that is bland and has ZERO charisma outside of badge snobs.

Can you try and be level headed for once about how they grow their business. Where is the hatred for the appliance FWD garbage MB builds?

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think they are still looking for a US home for it.   But remember, this engine is going to most likely be used in the Escalade as well, so those engines could be used for that (and they'll need a lot of them)

Escalade is a no brainer (as an option or V-sport type trim).  They are just leaving money on the table by not doing that, I am sure there are people that pay $90k for an Escalade that would pay $125k for a V Escalade.  Just like they sell $125,000 Corvettes to people that will never use more performance than offered the base $65,000 car.   Someone will always pay more to say they have the top trim.

My problem is not being able to use this in the XT5 or XT6 because they are Acadias and not rear drive like the Aviator.  

Escalade is a no brainer (as an option or V-sport type trim).  They are just leaving money on the table by not doing that, I am sure there are people that pay $90k for an Escalade that would pay $125k for a V Escalade.  Just like they sell $125,000 Corvettes to people that will never use more performance than offered the base $65,000 car.   Someone will always pay more to say they have the top trim.

My problem is not being able to use this in the XT5 or XT6 because they are Acadias and not rear drive like the Aviator.  

That's a question for the beancounters.  Would they sell a sufficient amount of high dollar RWD XT5/6 to justify the cost of a whole new platform?  Unless they're willing to also take the Traverse and friends RWD, the answer is "probably not". 

The new Explorer is a fantastic entry in the market, however, it won't be as big inside as the Traverse or Pilot are, and that will be something the reviewers will start to mention. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Why is it POOR PLANNING or Throw it away when Cadillac has led in selling luxury FWD CUVs. 

Your love of MB shows they have no problem selling a piss poor FWD appliance that is bland and has ZERO charisma outside of badge snobs.

Can you try and be level headed for once about how they grow their business. Where is the hatred for the appliance FWD garbage MB builds?

The Aviator will eat the XT6's lunch, and Lincoln is like the worst luxury brand out there, or at least has been the past 15 years or so.  They are making a turn around and could easily pass up Cadillac.   And the XT5 sales were down 11.3% in 2018, Mercedes GLC was up 43% and outsold the XT5.  And the price point of FWD crossovers is lower than what it is on the rear drive ones.

The Aviator will indeed eat the XT6's lunch... but not at all because of the platform.  Cadillac completely phoned in the interior. It is nothing special at all. The Aviator is "just a Ford Explorer" but they put so much effort into that interior that minds will be blown.  Which way the engine is oriented doesn't matter at all in this case.  Cadillac put the XT4 interior in an XT6 and it just won't fly.

• Agree 1