Jump to content
William Maley

Ask Me About: 2019 Buick Regal GS

Recommended Posts

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

Good luck to you in your search when you start looking.

Thanks. One brand fans don’t get that some of us can point out the flaws in new cars (and old cars for that matter) and not be a fan of an opposing brand or never intending on buying new in the first place. Just because I choose not to buy new does not mean that my opinion is not valid no matter what some overcompensating person says (And no, I am not referring to anyone specific here). Hell, if you ask me, it makes me financially smarter to not pay a mortgage payment on a $70-100K car or truck. Let natural depreciation take care of the bulk of money waste there and then take advantage. It’s how my wife just got a 2015 Soul with only 20k miles for less than $13K. I’ve sold cars in the past and just did some part time work at a Chevy dealership last year so I don’t feel that I’m totally talking out of my posterior here lol. 

 

Carry on folks. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm not allowed to buy a wagon sadly 😞

Who’s the communist lol?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next vehicle has to be an SUV.  Easier to get his elderly parents in and out of now that we're driving them around so much.  But even still, I'm never allowed a wagon. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

 Just because I choose not to buy new does not mean that my opinion is not valid no matter what some overcompensating person says (And no, I am not referring to anyone specific here). Hell, if you ask me, it makes me financially smarter to not pay a mortgage payment on a $70-100K car or truck. Let natural depreciation take care of the bulk of money waste there and then take advantage. It’s how my wife just got a 2015 Soul with only 20k miles for less than $13K. I’ve sold cars in the past and just did some part time work at a Chevy dealership last year so I don’t feel that I’m totally talking out of my posterior here lol.  

After almost 2 years with my current Jeep, I'm definitely happy with the low mileage used approach (it was 3 yrs old with 25k, for close to $20k below the list of a new one). 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Thanks. One brand fans don’t get that some of us can point out the flaws in new cars (and old cars for that matter) and not be a fan of an opposing brand or never intending on buying new in the first place. Just because I choose not to buy new does not mean that my opinion is not valid no matter what some overcompensating person says (And no, I am not referring to anyone specific here). Hell, if you ask me, it makes me financially smarter to not pay a mortgage payment on a $70-100K car or truck. Let natural depreciation take care of the bulk of money waste there and then take advantage. It’s how my wife just got a 2015 Soul with only 20k miles for less than $13K. I’ve sold cars in the past and just did some part time work at a Chevy dealership last year so I don’t feel that I’m totally talking out of my posterior here lol. 

 

Carry on folks. 

Who’s the communist lol?

My daughter is a claims adjuster. She wrote off a one year old Soul...with warranties and options, was out the door for 32 Grand. Wrecked and totaled as a one year old vehicle....payout was 12 grand...woman was a teacher who bought soul as a retirment present to herself. She did not buy GAP insurance.

Hell yes buying used makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

After almost 2 years with my current Jeep, I'm definitely happy with the low mileage used approach (it was 3 yrs old with 25k, for close to $20k below the list of a new one). 

We paid 16 Grand for the beetle R with 15 K miles on it....it stickered for 32 grand new.

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The next vehicle has to be an SUV.  Easier to get his elderly parents in and out of now that we're driving them around so much.  But even still, I'm never allowed a wagon. 

So much sarcasm being held back here...good thing Cheers and Gears has a PG rating on humor.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@A Horse With No Name So in looking at the GM Performance Site, they have lots of tweaks for the motor in the GS. Pretty cheap way to improve performance output. :P  Yes, not all say they will work with this motor but this 3.6L V6 is used in so many different auto's I bet you could easily use them on the GS.

Funny to see Mopar Performance motors on the GMPerformance web site. 🤷‍♂️

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Jesus man, let it go “slim” (WTF does that even mean anyway). I made my point and stand by my point. What I buy or don’t buy is 100% irrelevant to what I was talking about so give it a rest. 

 

And I actially am looking at getting an 2013-14 AWD model (because I never buy new) before years end so how about you give the passive aggressive nonsense (and borderline condescension) a rest. 

So what's your problem CHAMP? Are U mad at GM for not producing a car so U can MAYBE get it 5 years down the line used? Well HERE YA GO CHIEF!!!

$47,385   53,362 miles 2013 CTS-V.. ta hell with AWD.. I don't want no WIMPS on this team BUB. GET OUT THERE AN SLIDE IN THAT SNOW SON!😂

5504e9e713c48bf478795a44b40f66e5.jpg

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I've been a GM Lifer and I pick on them because I want them to be the best, like they were in the past according to market share, and when they are not, as perceived by me, then they will get chewed out royally. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Well I've been a GM Lifer and I pick on them because I want them to be the best, like they were in the past according to market share, and when they are not, as perceived by me, then they will get chewed out royally. 

I feel for you as a fellow (former) GM lifer.  (I say former because I put my money where my mouth is and my last few car purchases were NOT GM cars, so if I was honest about this whole GM lifer thing, I cant call myself a GM lifer since I havent bought any GM cars in a while...)

But...to compare market share from the 1940s-1970s to today's world is not a very good metric on how good GM, or in this case, a Regal GS is...

And this is where my ranting is directed to all who wanna diss on the new Regal GS...

I posted something similar a couple of pages ago, but all of you just prefer to go an a pissing rant about the GS WITH NO MERITS...and ignore me.

Well...I aint going away!!!  

You all want a GS...a REAL GS whatever the phoque that means?!

THIS was the last "REAL" AMERICAN Regal GS

Related image

 

Yes...GS.

THAT is what a GS has stood for since the late 1980s early 1990s. Beccause the last GS before that one was 

Related image

 

A W-Body front driver...

This new one is a million times better in EVERY way.

No. No it does NOT have 400 horsepower with 400 ft/pounds of torque.

But Ill tell you what else it doesnt have.

No cheap interiors of the W-Body kind. Could be better, but really not that bad.

No squeaky interior. 

No badge engineered siblings

No torque steer

No transmission failures due to the transmission not being able to sustain multiple jack rabbit starts.

It does not have 240 horsepower. It does have 310 horsepower. It does have 2 ft/pounds of torque albeit higher on the RPMs... 

Ya 'll bitchin' about an old 3.6 liter V6 that GM uses it on everything yet the last real Regal GS had an even OLDER design (from the 1960s...)and GM put THAT one in everything too...actually, that ole 3.8 was used in MORE models than the 3.6 inluding on ugly dustbuster minivans. 

It was stated that the new Regal GS is a great touring car. It aint a sport sedan. Does it have to be a sport sedan?

It aint the "GS" nomenclature that states it to be a sport sedan/coupe because the W-Body is anything BUT...

I know...I had a 2005 Impala SS.  2005. Not a 1997.  GM dragged THAT cat until 2006. And in 2006, that Impala SS was EXACTLY how that 1997-2004 Buick Regal GS was. The Impala SS just took over the Regal GS.  

This Regal GS is miles ahead of what old GM was pumping out. Yet, we GM lifers reminisce about the good ole days? The W-body Regal?

Buick of the 1990s/2000s/2010s are NOT Audi competitors.

GM/Buick NEVER intended Buick nor ever marketed Buick as such.

Pontiac tried to be a BMW competitor towards the end.

Oldsmobile WAS a foreign car fighter towards the end. 

Buick remained Buick in North America.

And what is that?

Image result for the great american road belongs to buick

 

THE GREAT AMERICAN ROAD BELONGS TO BUICK

Floaty ride on endless stretches of STRAIGHT HIGHWAYS!!!

The new Regal GS is a fantastic touring car. THIS IS THE BUICK SEDAN FOR THE GREAT AMERICAN ROAD!!!

What possesses you folk to think otherwise is beyond me!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dfelt said:

Funny to see Mopar Performance motors on the GMPerformance web site.

Uh it says "BROUGHT TO YOU BY GANDRUD AUTO GROUP".  So it seems like it is a dealer site, not the definitive GM site.  Gandrud probably sells Mopar products as well.

https://www.gandrud.com/

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Uh it says "BROUGHT TO YOU BY GANDRUD AUTO GROUP".  So it seems like it is a dealer site, not the definitive GM site.  Gandrud probably sells Mopar products as well.

https://www.gandrud.com/

Thanks Blu for pointing that out, just looked on GM.com and they are a certified performance shop but also does other brands too. I see they do not have the old GM performance web site, instead they have gone to a sub section of Chevrolet.

https://rj-conlin.dcatalog.com/v/2019-Chevrolet-Performance-Catalog/?page=1

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/overview

The first link is from the actual performance site. So in looking at the performance upgrades for the 3.6L V6, I see no reason the Chevrolet parts would not work with the Buick, GMC or Cadillac auto's that have the same motor. Yes some tweaking might be needed based on space, but for the most part at a high level, they should work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 8:20 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

A little harsh on GM as a whole but not on the GS. Three pages in....no one can give me a single reason to be excited about this ride. Sad.

 

Sorry my friend,  but I’m just getting warmed up.... 😞  I have quite a few issues with them at the moment....

On topic with the GS- when they first one rolled out, it was fresh, new, and cool. Now it’s just a warmed over version that they could have done more with......

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's one super overlooked feature is that the GS like the liftback has 67 cu ft of cargo. That is equal to Nox, Envison and Terrain, with moar legrooms and better interior than all 3 of them.

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I feel for you as a fellow (former) GM lifer.  (I say former because I put my money where my mouth is and my last few car purchases were NOT GM cars, so if I was honest about this whole GM lifer thing, I cant call myself a GM lifer since I havent bought any GM cars in a while...)

But...to compare market share from the 1940s-1970s to today's world is not a very good metric on how good GM, or in this case, a Regal GS is...

And this is where my ranting is directed to all who wanna diss on the new Regal GS...

I posted something similar a couple of pages ago, but all of you just prefer to go an a pissing rant about the GS WITH NO MERITS...and ignore me.

Well...I aint going away!!!  

You all want a GS...a REAL GS whatever the phoque that means?!

THIS was the last "REAL" AMERICAN Regal GS

Related image

 

Yes...GS.

THAT is what a GS has stood for since the late 1980s early 1990s. Beccause the last GS before that one was 

Related image

 

A W-Body front driver...

This new one is a million times better in EVERY way.

No. No it does NOT have 400 horsepower with 400 ft/pounds of torque.

But Ill tell you what else it doesnt have.

No cheap interiors of the W-Body kind. Could be better, but really not that bad.

No squeaky interior. 

No badge engineered siblings

No torque steer

No transmission failures due to the transmission not being able to sustain multiple jack rabbit starts.

It does not have 240 horsepower. It does have 310 horsepower. It does have 2 ft/pounds of torque albeit higher on the RPMs... 

Ya 'll bitchin' about an old 3.6 liter V6 that GM uses it on everything yet the last real Regal GS had an even OLDER design (from the 1960s...)and GM put THAT one in everything too...actually, that ole 3.8 was used in MORE models than the 3.6 inluding on ugly dustbuster minivans. 

It was stated that the new Regal GS is a great touring car. It aint a sport sedan. Does it have to be a sport sedan?

It aint the "GS" nomenclature that states it to be a sport sedan/coupe because the W-Body is anything BUT...

I know...I had a 2005 Impala SS.  2005. Not a 1997.  GM dragged THAT cat until 2006. And in 2006, that Impala SS was EXACTLY how that 1997-2004 Buick Regal GS was. The Impala SS just took over the Regal GS.  

This Regal GS is miles ahead of what old GM was pumping out. Yet, we GM lifers reminisce about the good ole days? The W-body Regal?

Buick of the 1990s/2000s/2010s are NOT Audi competitors.

GM/Buick NEVER intended Buick nor ever marketed Buick as such.

Pontiac tried to be a BMW competitor towards the end.

Oldsmobile WAS a foreign car fighter towards the end. 

Buick remained Buick in North America.

And what is that?

Image result for the great american road belongs to buick

 

THE GREAT AMERICAN ROAD BELONGS TO BUICK

Floaty ride on endless stretches of STRAIGHT HIGHWAYS!!!

The new Regal GS is a fantastic touring car. THIS IS THE BUICK SEDAN FOR THE GREAT AMERICAN ROAD!!!

What possesses you folk to think otherwise is beyond me!!!

Eh, the last Buick with balls was the Grand National, period.

And I agree, nothing wrong with a good road car-something one can simply enjoy the ride in.

Catch is, the wanted sporty and fast with the GS. First try, cool-and nice/

Second try- Meh..........

1 minute ago, Suaviloquent said:

There's one super overlooked feature is that the GS like the liftback has 67 cu ft of cargo. That is equal to Nox, Envison and Terrain, with moar legrooms and better interior than all 3 of them.

 

 

Also based on the fact the three you mention are “compact” CUVs...Regal is more of a mid sizer......

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daves87rs said:

Eh, the last Buick with balls was the Grand National, period.

And I agree, nothing wrong with a good road car-something one can simply enjoy the ride in.

Catch is, the wanted sporty and fast with the GS. First try, cool-and nice/

Second try- Meh..........

There is the Cadillac CTS-V for that ballsy nature you folk crave for.

The Grand National was a Regal, but not a GS. It was a GN. (Grand National) The top dog was a GNX. (X as in experimental as in Grand National experimental) And those were muscle cars. 

The fullsized GSs of the 1960s were touring cars with gobs of torque. One could say fullsized muscle cars. The Skylark's GS was a true midsizer muscle car.  

None of those Buicks that I mentioned were sport sedans.  

Therefore, as a REGAL, a GS Regal, the lineage did really start with the W-Body...

And THIS iteration is the best one yet.  

We WANT to dream that a Riviera GS was a sports sedan. But it was a luxo-barge personal coupe. We want to dream that 1960s and 1970s Century and Wildcat GSs were sports sedans, but they were land-yachts. 

We have fooled ourselves into believing something that does not exist.

A Regal GS is exactly what I posted...ANY GS for that matter are just cars that drive comfortably over long hauls...and GM NEVER hinted other wise with this new Regal.

We concocted a tale in our heads. 

Germany sourced?

Buick NEVER advertised that in the open. Never hinted it had German sport sedan Nurburgring lap times as its strengths. THAT kind of thing was openly sold for the V Series Cadillacs. 

Im just defending this new Regal's honour. I feel like someone has to do it. I think this new Regal GS is unfairly judged. I try my best to do good for it. 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

So what's your problem CHAMP? Are U mad at GM for not producing a car so U can MAYBE get it 5 years down the line used? Well HERE YA GO CHIEF!!!

$47,385   53,362 miles 2013 CTS-V.. ta hell with AWD.. I don't want no WIMPS on this team BUB. GET OUT THERE AN SLIDE IN THAT SNOW SON!😂

5504e9e713c48bf478795a44b40f66e5.jpg

 

I'll be sure to do that junior, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PHOENIX DESERT where I live. Seriously, get a clue already. It's old. My criticisms of GM are 100% valid whether I own a Cadillac right now or not. I'll be sure to get right on a car payment that would be higher than my mortgage. Oh wait, I'm not an idiot. BTW, it's either gun metal gray or nothing at all but thanks for taking to time to stalk my buying habits. It also doesn't need to be a "V" as much as it is on my bucket list of cars. A 3.6L will work for now, thank you very much.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think it's borderline, fwiw. 

I was trying not to be a "D" about it because I am not here for the endless back and forth. Like I said, I made my point and if the fanboys want to rant on, then they can rant on to themselves. I will keep on saying what I am saying. I was a "known Ford fan" you know?

Edited by surreal1272
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well I've been a GM Lifer and I pick on them because I want them to be the best, like they were in the past according to market share, and when they are not, as perceived by me, then they will get chewed out royally. 

My feelings exactly. We will just skip over the part where my wife and I traded in her nightmare HHR for a much better Kia Soul (what she wanted). That doesn't mean that I hate GM or Chevy. It just means that they have produced some garbage over the years, just like everyone else, and I will point it out when I feel it is necessary. 

 

Oh, and so as to get back on track here, swap "GS" for a genuine "GNX", and we have a winner!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

My daughter is a claims adjuster. She wrote off a one year old Soul...with warranties and options, was out the door for 32 Grand. Wrecked and totaled as a one year old vehicle....payout was 12 grand...woman was a teacher who bought soul as a retirment present to herself. She did not buy GAP insurance.

Hell yes buying used makes sense.

We paid 16 Grand for the beetle R with 15 K miles on it....it stickered for 32 grand new.

So much sarcasm being held back here...good thing Cheers and Gears has a PG rating on humor.

Someone got seriously ripped off if they paid $32K for a Soul! That salesman was doing the cocaine celebration dance for real after that customer left. My wife's is the exact same as the one I took almost two years ago cross country. The book on the this one is right at $16K (only 23K miles on a 2015 helped) so we got a good deal that doesn't start anywhere near underwater financially. She is happy which makes me happy. I was plotting a serious act of destruction against her old HHR so I am glad that don't have to get rid of any evidence lol.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I'll be sure to do that junior, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PHOENIX DESERT where I live. Seriously, get a clue already. It's old. My criticisms of GM are 100% valid whether I own a Cadillac right now or not. I'll be sure to get right on a car payment that would be higher than my mortgage. Oh wait, I'm not an idiot. BTW, it's either gun metal gray or nothing at all but thanks for taking to time to stalk my buying habits. It also doesn't need to be a "V" as much as it is on my bucket list of cars. A 3.6L will work for now, thank you very much.

 

Listen BUB.. I didn't know nor care that U were in AZ. Second I didn't take car payment into account because its only $47K. Just write a check or swipe the Gold card  For Godsake and stop with this crazy talk. Damn sure didn't stalk your car buying habits... I don't even remember who U are. Have we ever posted together before? ARE U EVEN A REAL PERSON? 

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Listen BUB.. I didn't know nor care that U were in AZ. Second I didn't take car payment into account because its only $47K. Just write a check or swipe the Gold card  For Godsake and stop with this crazy talk. Damn sure didn't stalk your car buying habits... I don't even remember who U are. Have we ever posted together before? ARE U EVEN A REAL PERSON? 

Are you drunk? You are the one who invited me to this site years ago when most of us here were on the MT forums. 

 

For the record, the crazy talk started with you and it still continues. You also don’t understand the concept of a “joke”. Stop it BUB. Just stop it. This is about the GS and not about your delicate sensibilities where criticisms of GM are concerned. 

 

74A46527-9A5F-4BDC-BA72-D81AF4E1A554.jpeg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how every GM car thread becomes a knife fight ... :)

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Guys....

I’m good Drew but I’m not the one who went sideways on this.

 

Carry on.

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

'only' $47k?  What reality are you in?   For most people, that's not a small amount of money...

It’s called “elitism” and “overcompensation” but that’s neither here nor there. You are right though. That is not a small amount of money and I’ll be damn if I’m going to “swipe that gold card” or get into a $800 a month car payment on a USED CAR, no matter how bad ass it is.  

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×