William Maley

Ask Me About: 2019 Buick Regal GS

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

They are one hell of a good used value. 21-23k. 

Yeah...even I am impressed by that. Compared to the crappy 1.5 in the Malibu, the cheap feel of the Maxima, and faults with other cars...lack of sound deadening in the Mazda 6...it seems like a real sweet spot.

I know you would prefer a Charger but I have an odd fetish for the SHO Taurus also.  To be fair a part of me would also prefer a Charger V8 to the Taurus...

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

My thought was GM needs to keep a V6 option around for mid sized cars.

The GS is the only GM midsize left with a V6.  There aren't many sedans left outside of the luxury classes with a 6 cylinder.

Regal GS, 300, Charger, Impala, Avalon, Maxima, Legacy, Taurus, Fusion Sport.

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Depends on the NA V6. Lots of guys I worked with in the trades had fantastic luck with V6 Rangers that ran for decade or better.

That was back when V6 engines made more torque than horsepower.. Now you need to rev the piss out of them for motivation. Inline 4cyl-like powerbands. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The GS is the only GM midsize left with a V6.  There aren't many sedans left outside of the luxury classes with a 6 cylinder.

CTS isn't considered midsized?

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ford has all but completely phased out their n/a V6 because n/a V6's blow. 

I still much rather have a N/A V6 than a turbo-4

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

That was back when V6 engines made more torque than horsepower.. Now you need to rev the piss out of them for motivation. Inline 4cyl-like powerbands. 

Very true.

CTS isn't considered midsized?

Outside of the luxury classes, but if you wanted to include those, then the additions I can think of are ATS, CTS, CT6 and XTS. 

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

In a lighter car like an Evo, GTI, WRX, Cooper S, or the like Turbo 4's seem about right.

However, Porsche killed the Boxter/Cayman IMHO with the addition of a 4 pot.

Very true.

I guess I should have clarified, n/a inline 4*

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Not I. Torque, please. 

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

In a lighter car like an Evo, GTI, WRX, Cooper S, or the like Turbo 4's seem about right.

However, Porsche killed the Boxter/Cayman IMHO with the addition of a 4 pot.

Those are sub 3000lb cars. 

56 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

So much to say yet still missed the point made but whatever. Just the same old, same old from feverant fans who make assumptions about folks who dare to criticize their favorite brand and then sidestep their errors completely to go off on yet another tangent. Whatever floats your boat.

Regarding the Regal, give me an AWD Tour X with a mythical 3.6L Turbo, and I’d be a happy man although I’d be happier had GM not killed off the CTS wagon. I will always be a little sour about that one.

I think I covered a lot Slim. To your GM killing the CTS-Wagon.. did U own one? Did U attempt to buy one when it was around and they refused U.. told U that U couldn't have it? I just did a search.. there are used ones. Just get one. They are RWD and everything. There are even some Vs out there

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Not I. Torque, please. 

You only get it if you have a heavy foot and... thus... rev the piss out of it.  Gotta get that boost going to get any torque, otherwise, you're just driving a wimpy little 4-cylinder. 

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Outside of the luxury classes, but if you wanted to include those, then the additions I can think of are ATS, CTS, CT6 and XTS. 

Camry, ES too.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I guess I should have clarified, n/a inline 4*

Not I. Torque, please. 

Those are sub 3000lb cars. 

Exactly. That is the only place I like a Turbo 4. Being up in the power band is good for auto X and spirited driving. GS is more of a grand tourer than a sports car.

Just now, frogger said:

Camry, ES too.

And a damned fine V6 that is.

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You only get it if you have a heavy foot and... thus... rev the piss out of it.  Gotta get that boost going to get any torque, otherwise, you're just driving a wimpy little 4-cylinder. 

Fusion Sport Please. I think it out classes the GS just in terms of ride quality and usefulness.

Not interested in a midsized car that is under powered, thank you.

4 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I think I covered a lot Slim. To your GM killing the CTS-Wagon.. did U own one? Did U attempt to buy one when it was around and they refused U.. told U that U couldn't have it? I just did a search.. there are used ones. Just get one. They are RWD and everything. There are even some Vs out there

I have had that very thought myself...

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's not true. I'd hear my Escape spool at 2k at part throttle and climb hills without a downshift. Boost takes fractions of a second to start building. It isn't like you immediately need full boost. 

43 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This is just another application that GM needs to drop the 2.7T in. Enough of this 3.6 already. 

Its not even necessary. The problem with the GS's V6 option is that it is a GS. The car should have a specially treated engine. Its a great car.. handles well.. looks premium sport.. nice interior.. even with the 3.6L "Camaro engine" (which I'm sure is GM's justification) it would be so much more with the LF3 from the XTS-VSport. That stands for the XT5 and XT6 as well. A GS with 410HP and 369ft-lb and 300lbs less than the XTS-VSport would be a scorcher, and would be the rival that Buick needs to bang down the Audi S4. It would knock that 0-60 time from 5.8 to easily 4.2 seconds with the 9Speed

24 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

As does Toyota, and Ford, and Chrysler.  They're all good engines. 

The problem is not with the 3.6L itself but the fact that GM sees it as the only V6 option for every car or CUV they make when they have so many options available to them. The 3.6 should not be a top of the line option in the XT6 for example. That should be a middle option with a turbo AWD V6 as the top option. Maybe they will change that after a year or two of its life cycle but it should have been done from the start. 

1 minute ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Its not even necessary. The problem with the GS's V6 option is that it is a GS. The car should have a specially treated engine. Its a great car.. handles well.. looks premium sport.. nice interior.. even with the 3.6L "Camaro engine" (which I'm sure is GM's justification) it would be so much more with the LF3 from the XTS-VSport. That stands for the XT5 and XT6 as well. A GS with 410HP and 369ft-lb and 300lbs less than the XTS-VSport would be a scorcher, and would be the rival that Buick needs to bang down the Audi S4. It would knock that 0-60 time from 5.8 to easily 4.2 seconds with the 9Speed

On this, we agree. The GS deserves better here. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's not true. I'd hear my Escape spool at 2k at part throttle and climb hills without a downshift. Boost takes fractions of a second to start building. It isn't like you immediately need full boost. 

I'm sure that's true... I, of course, have never driven a turbo-4 and compared it to a V6 in a similarly sized vehicle in a back to back fashion.  never ever have I.

21 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Exactly. That is the only place I like a Turbo 4. Being up in the power band is good for auto X and spirited driving. GS is more of a grand tourer than a sports car.

I meant the 718 Cayman's 3000lbs

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I meant the 718 Cayman's 3000lbs

It lacks the sound soul and fury of the flat six Porsche has had since forever.  Give me the 6 over the four.

1549160418_20190202_203349_mmthumb.jpg

The Push rod V8 a lot of people can handle....not naming names...

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Here.. put one of these two pushrods in there and see what happens😂

GM already did the pushrod V8 transverse in a FWD platform back in the oughts...not the best configuration, IMO.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

GM already did the pushrod V8 transverse in a FWD platform back in the oughts...not the best configuration, IMO.  

The Monte Carlo SS of the oughts was an entirely forgettable car outside of the NASCAR heritage paint schemes dealers painted them in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The Monte Carlo SS of the oughts was an entirely forgettable car outside of the NASCAR heritage paint schemes dealers painted them in.

For some reason, I was reading the Wikipedia article on the LS4 last night...had some unique parts for fitting in a transverse config, incl. a remote water pump..don't think I've ever seen one in person.  The MC only got that engine option in its last 2 years, the '06-07..the 2 years it had the updated Impala-ish front end. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Jesus man, let it go “slim” (WTF does that even mean anyway). I made my point and stand by my point. What I buy or don’t buy is 100% irrelevant to what I was talking about so give it a rest. 

And I actially am looking at getting an 2013-14 AWD model (because I never buy new) before years end so how about you give the passive aggressive nonsense (and borderline condescension) a rest. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Jesus man, let it go “slim” (WTF does that even mean anyway). I made my point and stand by my point. What I buy or don’t buy is 100% irrelevant to what I was talking about so give it a rest. 

And I actially am looking at getting an 2013-14 AWD model (because I never buy new) before years end so how about you give the passive aggressive nonsense (and borderline condescension) a rest. 

Good luck to you in your search when you start looking.