February Car Spotting

Weather getting a bit better...was out and about this morning and saw a grubby, dented salt-encrusted red Tesla Model S coming out of the McDonalds drive thru...funny to see a Tesla driven like any other winter beater.   The rear bumper fascia was cracked. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Forty-six degrees out today, snow's a-melting.  Feels like seventy-two after many frigid days.  Took a walk.  Heard Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" blaring from the open windows of a clapped out, white, winter-grimy first-gen Versa sedan.

I normally wouldn't post about first-gen Versa sedans, but

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Forty-six degrees out today, snow's a-melting.  Feels like seventy-two after many frigid days.  Took a walk.  Heard Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" blaring from the open windows of a clapped out, white, winter-grimy first-gen Versa sedan.

I normally wouldn't post about first-gen Versa sedans, but

I do not know what is worse.

1st gen Versa or Tear for Fears.

"shout, shout. let it all out...these are the things I could do with out...c;mon. Im talking to you..."

Shyte...Ive ALWAYS hated those lyrics from the first day I heard them when I was like 10 years old.  :puke:

With that god awful voice the singer has... To this day I burn up Inside everytime I hear that group on the radio.:explode:  My brain, hands and fingers cant react fast enough to change the damned station!!!

THANK GOODNESS millennials havent taken to Tears For Fear. They got one thing right at least!       

You know what? Gimme the Versa until I die if I dont have to listen to that shytty group ever again!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Tesla Model 3s are very very popular here.

I see several every day. 5-6 every day. And no, they arent the same ones.

...riiiight

Local dealer has at least 4 Passports in, including an entry-level AWD Sport in blue for $34k.  Very decent vehicle v. the competition for the price.  Greenhouse seems a little high at first, but then I remember we are used to gunslit windows in everything nowadays... refreshing to be able to SEE OUT.

Seattle is under a winter storm advisory, currently snowing hard with 5 inches on the ground at my house. Yesterday saw multiple X90 AWD up on the pass skiing and they were having difficulty getting into the parking lot. When they finally got parked, I noticed almost slicks on all 4 tires, way past 10% mark. I made the casual comment that they needed new tires and the response was, no I have AWD. Tires are fine. :stupid:

I have come to realize that people can be really stupid as they are clueless about AWD versus Tires. :facepalm:

• Agree 2

Just now, dfelt said:

Seattle is under a winter storm advisory, currently snowing hard with 5 inches on the ground at my house. Yesterday saw multiple X90 AWD up on the pass skiing and they were having difficulty getting into the parking lot. When they finally got parked, I noticed almost slicks on all 4 tires, way past 10% mark. I made the casual comment that they needed new tires and the response was, no I have AWD. Tires are fine. :stupid:

I have come to realize that people can be really stupid as they are clueless about AWD versus Tires. :facepalm:

Donj't get me started on stupid people...my daughter the claims agent....had to deal with a customer that thought they needed a new engine because they had put too much gas in the gas tank.

Sorry if that story is a repeat...but stupid people are legion when it comes to cars.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Same kind of people who can't be bothered to clear the snow off their vehicles before driving them..

SorrowfulWelcomeInvisiblerail-small.gif

• Agree 2

I saw someone driving a couple weeks ago after the last big snow in an Equinox covered in snow with only the top 1/3 of the windshield brushed off.  So many drivers are idiots that have no self-awareness...

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Three for our green friend @ocnblu

It's easy being green

IMG_20190204_141844.jpg

Would be better if all three were electric...just sayin...

• Haha 1

Went out for happy hour, alas, it started raining so I couldn't sit outside, but still, 57 degrees and intermittent sun for February in NE Ohio isn't bad. Parked outside the bar was a sharp bright blue w/ black hood & wheels late model Challenger T/A and a dark red Grand Cherokee SRT.  Tasty Mopies... 

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Went out for happy hour, alas, it started raining so I couldn't sit outside, but still, 57 degrees and intermittent sun for February in NE Ohio isn't bad. Parked outside the bar was a sharp bright blue w/ black hood & wheels late model Challenger T/A and a dark red Grand Cherokee SRT.  Tasty Mopies... 

Tasty indeed. Widebody Hellcat in plum crazy purple at my local dealer...love the challenger. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Tasty indeed. Widebody Hellcat in plum crazy purple at my local dealer...love the challenger. 

I'm going to have one sooner or later.  

Some details I love the about the Challenger---huge number of variations available, manual available, multiple V8s, an actual trunk, a 2dr w/ frameless door glass, hefty, RWD, and 4 distinct headlights, not melted lighting globs.   The car has so much character in a retro modern package. 

Slyman's Tavern in Independence, OH has a great selection of beers...the corned beef sliders were delicious.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Some details I love the about the Challenger---huge number of variations available, manual available, multiple V8s, an actual trunk, a 2dr w/ frameless door glass, hefty, RWD, and 4 distinct headlights, not melted lighting globs.   The car has so much character in a retro modern package. 

👍

(I care a little less for the manual transmission part. But the rest of what you love about it, I love also) 

(Ill just add the actual 'retro-reminiscent' adolescent names that the various Challenger comes in along with the silly adolescent logos. Hellcat, Demon, Red Eye, Scat Pack, R/T... Just like Superbee and The Judge and Trans Am and of course Demon and Roadrunner with the silly cartoon character graphics) 

(Let us not forget the wide array of awesome, eye catching exterior colours with just as an interesting interior too.) 

• Agree 2

On 2/3/2019 at 5:49 PM, ocnblu said:

...riiiight

Maybe you should take a visit up here and see for yourself.

You know, Montreal is not Lancaster... in that the Province of Quebec with its Crown Corporation Hydro-Quebec actually produces a good chunk of the world's hydro-electricity.  At a fairly cheap price for us Quebeckers  to consume... Its too bad you dont believe. 

Please, come take a visit. Ill take you out on a date to entice you. We'll catch a Habs hockey game while we're at it. The Penguins or Flyers? You choose. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I really want to visit Montreal, I’m sure I’d love the architecture and cuisine.  I’ve been a few places in Ontario 20-30 years ago, but that’s all of Canada I’ve seen.  

Montreal is a beautiful city.  Not more than any other city on this planet. But Montreal is unique. It has English and French architecture.  Its got both old world European flair with modern American panache.

Cuisine?

Montreal always had world quality restaurants. Las Vegas, Boston, Houston are some North American cities that have equalled and perhaps surpassed Montreal in that area..but...Montreal, along with NYC still remain surprisingly relevant. 

What makes Montreal (and especially NYC) that great in all these areas? 

Montreal (and NYC) are trully real cosmopolitan cities. For a couple of centuries now. Food is where this shows. Walk the streets of Montreal in the summer and then you get to see how cosmopolitan Montreal really is.   its just not the architecture that is stunning, just how NYC stuns you with its high rises....its how the people interact with each other. All the colours of the ethnics...how each is represented in the city. Its great! 

• Agree 3

Ran to the Korean grocery store, saw a brand new Ford Explorer that the front passenger tire was pushed right back into the wheel well. Guy looking at it and I asked him how it happened. Said he was in 2wd mode, it was slipping so pushed the 4x button at 35mph and then heard a loud snap noise and next thing he was spun around and so he drove it into the parking lot here.

Me think he hit 4L and ended up with this result, his drive line to the wheel was snapped at the boot. Weird break but the whole suspension is all ripped up. Not impressed with how easily everything just tore apart. Gonna be expensive to repair.

13 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Hmm...interesting...wonder what happened. I don't think the current (D4) Explorer has a low range.

It doesn't have a 2-speed transfer case, no.  I certainly don't see any of the engines having enough low-end torque to do that unless he was flooring it at the time AND it was a 3.5 Ecoboost. 

Furthermore, I don't think 4x4 models have "2wd mode".  Only a few SUVs have that and I don't think Explorer is one of them.  Explorer is AWD all the time.  Even still, if there was a 2wd mode, it would be the front wheels that had power at the time. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It doesn't have a 2-speed transfer case, no.  I certainly don't see any of the engines having enough low-end torque to do that unless he was flooring it at the time AND it was a 3.5 Ecoboost. 

Furthermore, I don't think 4x4 models have "2wd mode".  Only a few SUVs have that and I don't think Explorer is one of them.  Explorer is AWD all the time.  Even still, if there was a 2wd mode, it would be the front wheels that had power at the time. 

Most AWD systems are now so good I would not want to disable them.

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Thank you, I never looked in the auto, but it is weird to see it fail like that. He also could have been doing something really weird. Wish I had taken a picture but needed to get the shopping done and back home.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:20 AM, dfelt said:

And, except for some critical roads, the roads up there are not plowed since snow in the metro Seattle area is an infrequent occurrence.  Ditto for the Portland (OR) area.

• Like 1

Sightings - 3 "cherry" last model (2009-2010?) Mercury Milans in 3 days

1 - silver - Premier - no engine badge, hence a 4 banger - next to me on the freeway - a beautiful black Belgian Sheepdog was occupying the passenger seat

2 - burgundy - Premier - no engine badge, hence a 4 banger - Florida license plates, on a major street, and in perfect condition

3 - silver or champagne (couldn't tell) - Premier - V6 engine badge - in a historic town's small downtown - an elderly Italian looking gentleman at the wheel who either didn't have his power seat set high enough or needed to put a few extra pillows under his seat

• Haha 1

This was funny...ordered a DoorDash delivery of Indian food for lunch today, and the driver was the same red bearded Milennial I chatted w/ about 6 months ago w/ the black Tesla Model 3.   I noticed the front fascia was scuffed and cracked..he said he had spun it into a snowbank last week.  He said when it was really cold last week the door handles froze and it was hard to get into, and that he'd been having intermittent electrical issues inside..and that the touchscreen was hard to use w/ gloves (because the heater quit). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

This was funny...ordered a DoorDash delivery of Indian food for lunch today, and the driver was the same red bearded Milennial I chatted w/ about 6 months ago w/ the black Tesla Model 3.   I noticed the front fascia was scuffed and cracked..he said he had spun it into a snowbank last week.  He said when it was really cold last week the door handles froze and it was hard to get into, and that he'd been having intermittent electrical issues inside..and that the touchscreen was hard to use w/ gloves (because the heater quit). 

Yea never here this about the Chevrolet Bolt! :P

I've only seen one Bolt since moving to Ohio, at the Cleveland Auto Show last year..haven't seen any on the road.

WOW, I have seen them all over here, but more important in eastern Washington, Idaho and a few in Montana. places where it gets really cold and they just work.

Saw a Mercury Marauder today...still want one.

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

WOW, I have seen them all over here, but more important in eastern Washington, Idaho and a few in Montana. places where it gets really cold and they just work.

A bunch here in Columbus...Leaf and Tesla sell well here also.

I don't recall seeing any Leafs either.  Though I do see Telsas fairly frequently.  Even saw a row of 6 Superchargers in the parking lot of a local suburban shopping center between the Home Depot and Best Buy. 

Edited by Robert Hall

12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I've only seen one Bolt since moving to Ohio, at the Cleveland Auto Show last year..haven't seen any on the road.

I saw two in under 5 minutes the other day in downtown Pittsburgh.

16 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Sightings - 3 "cherry" last model (2009-2010?) Mercury Milans in 3 days

1 - silver - Premier - no engine badge, hence a 4 banger - next to me on the freeway - a beautiful black Belgian Sheepdog was occupying the passenger seat

2 - burgundy - Premier - no engine badge, hence a 4 banger - Florida license plates, on a major street, and in perfect condition

3 - silver or champagne (couldn't tell) - Premier - V6 engine badge - in a historic town's small downtown - an elderly Italian looking gentleman at the wheel who either didn't have his power seat set high enough or needed to put a few extra pillows under his seat

Those were attractive cars. Very nearly bought one.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yea never here this about the Chevrolet Bolt! :P

Maybe because almost nobody buys them? I saw maybe 1 or 2 while there is a bunch of Model 3 around,  While 3 has it is share of problems my regular door froze one morning also and I had difficulty opening it.

53 minutes ago, ykX said:

Maybe because almost nobody buys them? I saw maybe 1 or 2 while there is a bunch of Model 3 around,  While 3 has it is share of problems my regular door froze one morning also and I had difficulty opening it.

Bolt is a big seller on the west coast and you see them everywhere just as much as I am now starting to see the Tesla 3. Only difference is I do not hear of door handle problems and other issues that seem to have hit the Tesla 3. I think if Musk had focused on reliable over trick features like the pull in door handles, they would have a more robust product.

BMW iNext CUV went from those trick door handles on the Concept to regular door handles on the mules that are running around now.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:13 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I do not know what is worse.

1st gen Versa or Tear for Fears.

"shout, shout. let it all out...these are the things I could do with out...c;mon. Im talking to you..."

Shyte...Ive ALWAYS hated those lyrics from the first day I heard them when I was like 10 years old.  :puke:

With that god awful voice the singer has... To this day I burn up Inside everytime I hear that group on the radio.:explode:  My brain, hands and fingers cant react fast enough to change the damned station!!!

THANK GOODNESS millennials havent taken to Tears For Fear. They got one thing right at least!       

You know what? Gimme the Versa until I die if I dont have to listen to that shytty group ever again!!!

The Disturbed cover of it is much better.

Edited by surreal1272

18 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

The Disturbed cover of it is much better.

I LOVE The Disturbed covers they do!  

The dude's voice is amazing.  Sounds of Silence and Land of Confusion are masterpieces way beyond the originals and the originals are masterpieces in themselves.  I never knew they made a cover of Tears for Fears'  Shout.  So...I said to myself...why not?! 

Surreal seems to like it, I kinda like The Disturbed...it wont hurt to listen to it." 

But I got to tell you, as soon as I heard the first "shout", something triggered in my brain. Could it be mild spasms? Then the second "shout" came along...and my brain, hands and fingers coundnt react fast enough to end it!!!  Anger and frustration and hatred flooded my brain waves.  :explode:

Im laughing about it now. But the dark thoughts were real. Im not kidding you. Something about the song just makes me go bonkers.  LOL.  And the strangest thing is, as unique and distinctive as David Drainman's voice is and he certainly does NOT sound ANYTHING like Tears for Fear...I IMMEDIATELY thought...Tears for Fears. 

I may need to see a psychiatrist because this level of animosity towards anything aint normal....

Edited by oldshurst442

Long Painful day at work...heading home. Really sweet lifted F350 Crew Cab super duty in  black drove past my building when I was coming back from lunch. Think I am mostly done hating Ford...they cancelled a lot of the cars which were mediocre and the new product looks much better. Going to give loving Ford another chance I think.

Going to also go home drink a beer and listen to disturbed.

Black Pontiac G8.  Couldnt tell if V8 or V6.   Despite all the ice, literally ice covered trees, roads, cars , the G8 was super clean. 

Garage queen perhaps. But why was she out and about today?   

I dunno, but Im sure glad I got to have a glimpse of her. 

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Long Painful day at work...heading home. Really sweet lifted F350 Crew Cab super duty in  black drove past my building when I was coming back from lunch. Think I am mostly done hating Ford...they cancelled a lot of the cars which were mediocre and the new product looks much better. Going to give loving Ford another chance I think.

Going to also go home drink a beer and listen to disturbed.

Traitor, I thought I had a friend in Hate of Ford! ;) :P 

Yea, Ford EV F150 is gonna be da bomb! :D  I can try to love that too! :metal:

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Anger and frustration and hatred flooded my brain waves.  :explode:

Im laughing about it now. But the dark thoughts were real. Im not kidding you. Something about the song just makes me go bonkers.  LOL.  And the strangest thing is, as unique and distinctive as David Drainman's voice is and he certainly does NOT sound ANYTHING like Tears for Fear...I IMMEDIATELY thought...Tears for Fears. 

I may need to see a psychiatrist because this level of animosity towards anything aint normal....

Tears for Fears doesn't bother me, though I prefer Simple Minds for mid 80s pop music.    Now as far as a song that elicits a strong, visceral dislike from me, the worst is House of Pain's  'Jump Around'..that damn squealing sound sets me off.  Always have to change the station or mute the radio if it comes on. 

Tears for Fears doesn't bother me, though I prefer Simple Minds for mid 80s pop music.    Now as far as a song that elicits a strong, visceral dislike from me, the worst is House of Pain's  'Jump Around'..that damn squealing sound sets me off.  Always have to change the station or mute the radio if it comes on. 

Yeah...a bunch of white boys...Irish? From Bahsten?  Or was it New York? trying to be be all ghetto.  It was all the rage back then...

I heard that song for the first time while I WAS in New York for the first time... I believe my friends and I went to the Palladium dance club. I liked the song back then. Dont hate me!  Not so much today though.  

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yeah...a bunch of white boys...Irish? From Bahsten?  Or was it New York? trying to be be all ghetto.  It was all the rage back then...  

They were from L.A..West Coast hip hop...their lead rapper Everlast had some solo success..