Chicago 2019: 2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty: Comments

With new versions of GM and Ram Trucks' heavy-duty pickups coming around the corner, it comes as no surprise that Ford has decided to update their F-Series Super Duty trucks. The big news is what resides under the hood.

Taking the place of the 6.8L V10 engine is a new 7.3L V8 engine. Ford isn't detailing any specs on this engine, but is claiming that it will be the most powerful V8 in the class. The V10 produced 362 horsepower and 457 lb-ft of torque, and could tow up to 33,000 pounds.

The 6.7L PowerStroke turbodiesel V8 engine has been updated with a larger turbocharger, fuel injection system, and upgraded internals. Again, Ford is keeping mum on specs. The base 6.2L gas V8 engine remains unchanged.

All engines come paired with a new ten-speed Torqueshift automatic transmission that slots in the same space as the previous six-speed automatic.

The exterior gets new front end styling to improve cooling, along with new LED lighting. Other changes for the 2020 model include more active safety equipment, 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot, wireless phone charging, and Pro Trailer Backup Assist.

The 2020 F-Series Super Duty arrives at dealers this fall.

Gallery: 2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty

Source: Ford

New Ford F-Series Super Duty Pickup Raises Bar Again With Next-Level Capability, Power And Technology

• Next-level capability: New 2020 F-Series Super Duty will offer its highest-ever conventional, gooseneck and fifth-wheel towing and payload ratings
  • Next-level power: Most powerful Super Duty yet launches with two new engine offerings including all-new advanced 7.3-liter gasoline V8 and upgraded third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel V8; all-new heavy-duty 10-speed TorqShift® automatic transmission
  • Next-level technology: New F-Series Super Duty now offers class-exclusive Pro Trailer Backup Assist, while its Trailer Reverse Guidance is now compatible with fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailers; standard FordPass Connect™ with 4G LTE modem and available wireless charging keep you connected; smart driver-assist features such as automatic emergency braking are standard on XLT series and above

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 5, 2019 – Ford, America’s truck leader, introduces the next level of Built Ford Tough heavy-duty pickup truck capability, power and technology with the new 2020 F-Series Super Duty pickup.

“Super Duty customers have demanding and diverse needs – from towing heavy trailers to repairing critical infrastructure,” said Kumar Galhotra, Ford president, North America. “Productivity is their lifeblood and their truck is their biggest tool. Our new Super Duty has more power, more payload and towing capability and better technology than ever to help these customers build a better world.”

F-Series Super Duty had the most market share in industries such as government with more than 60 percent share, petroleum with 50 percent share and utility services with more than 45 percent share, according to Ford analysis of IHS Markit TIPet U.S. registration data, January 2017 through November 2018. Assembled in the United States, Ford’s F-Series Super Duty is built with pride at both Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville and Ohio Assembly Plant in Avon Lake.

New F-Series Super Duty improvements include new gas and diesel engines, an all-new 10-speed automatic transmission, chassis upgrades, exterior and interior design updates, and smart advanced technology that raises the bar again in towing, payload and connectivity.

All-new powertrains for improved performance and capability

An all-new Ford-designed and Ford-built 7.3-liter V8 joins the standard 6.2-liter V8 in Super Duty’s gas engine stable. The Ford-designed and Ford-built third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel V8 is upgraded to deliver more power and torque. An all-new Ford-designed and Ford-built 10-speed heavy-duty TorqShift® automatic transmission is paired with the 7.3-liter V8 and third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel V8. Ford is the only manufacturer to design and build all of its heavy-duty engine and transmission combinations – ensuring the powertrain works seamlessly with all chassis components and vehicle calibrations.

“With the addition of the 7.3-liter V8, upgrades to our 6.7-liter and the debut of an all-new 10-speed transmission, we are delivering the strongest, most capable Super Duty powertrain offerings yet,” said Mike Pruitt, Ford Super Duty chief engineer.

The 7.3-liter gas V8 engine delivers high performance in a compact package. Based on decades of commercial engine experience, this 7.3-liter is expected to be the most powerful gas V8 in its class – providing durability, ease of maintenance, and the towing and payload capability customers want. It uses an all-new cam-in-block, overhead valve architecture with cast iron block and forged steel crankshaft for maximum durability. Port injection with variable-valve timing optimizes the intake and exhaust to match performance with workloads. Oil jets cool the pistons under heavy loads.

Super Duty’s third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke includes a new 36,000-psi fuel injection system with all-new injectors that precisely meter and spray up to eight times per stroke to control noise levels and optimize combustion. This innovative inboard exhaust diesel V8 features a redesigned electronic-actuated variable-geometry turbocharger that provides improved pumping efficiency and throttle response. Structural enhancements increase the strength of the cylinder head, block, connecting rods and bearings to handle higher cylinder pressure and increased output. New steel pistons provide higher firing pressure capability and less friction – meaning improved performance and more horsepower and torque than ever.

The truck’s standard 6.2-liter gas V8 rounds out the three engine choices for Super Duty customers. This workhorse offers heavy-duty truck customers proven capability at an affordable price.

Ford is making its all-new 10-speed TorqShift automatic transmission available across all three Super Duty engine offerings for the new 2020 model. This TorqShift features a wider gear ratio span than the 6-speed and is designed for the harshest towing conditions. The heavy-duty transmission continues to offer class-exclusive live-drive power takeoff, which allows the operator to engage industrial equipment and accessories, such as snowplows, with the truck in motion.

This electronically controlled transmission has selectable drive modes that include normal, tow/haul, eco, slippery, and deep sand and snow. The entire unit is so cleverly engineered that – even with four extra gears – it fits in the same space as the 6-speed and weighs only 3.5 pounds more.

Technology that assists and improves productivity

For 2020, class-exclusive new Pro Trailer Backup Assist makes negotiating even the largest trailers into the tightest of spaces easier than ever before. With hands off the steering wheel, drivers use the Pro Trailer Backup Assist knob to easily steer the trailer via the reverse camera. The truck’s Trailer Reverse Guidance system shows trailer angle and direction, and provides steering suggestions to most efficiently direct a trailer backward. Both systems are built to accommodate all trailer styles, including fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailers.

Because today’s work is a 24/7 proposition, staying connected is essential. Every new 2020 Super Duty includes FordPass Connect™ embedded 4G LTE modem with Wi-Fi access for up to 10 devices, keeping crews in communication no matter where the job might take them.

Available lane-keeping alert helps you stay between the lines on the road, while the Blind Spot Information System with trailer coverage monitors for vehicles in your blind spots – even when towing. Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking and Pedestrian Detection aids in avoiding or mitigating collisions with other vehicles and pedestrians. These features are standard on XLT and above Super Duty models. Modern touches include the addition of wireless charging and USB-C ports to power your devices.

Powerful upgrades inside and out

Across the range, an enhanced front-end design allows for optimized cooling and lighting performance under heavy loads. For the first time, all dual-rear-wheel Super Duty trucks are fitted with a uniquely designed high-airflow grille optimized for maximum powertrain cooling.

Super Duty’s LED headlamps have a new look with improved performance, while high series trucks feature continuous signature lighting. An improved front bumper and air dam optimize cooling and make using utility hooks easier. A freshened tailgate design, revised taillamps and new rear bumper convey bolder Built Ford Tough style.

Decorative appliqués on the doors and media bin door have been updated on Lariat, while on Platinum edition trucks, these pieces have been updated to Onyx Argento wood. The interior of the Limited model is completely refreshed, with colors updated to Ebony and Highland Tan to provide a refined, modern feel. Limited features authentic materials like genuine leather, a coarse ash wood in black and modern brushed aluminum trim. Crafted details include decorative stitching on the leather-wrapped instrument panel topper, wrapped door armrests, seating and center console lid, and an embroidered Super Duty logo added to the floor mats. A soft headliner in Miko® suede is intended to give the cabin an expansive feel.

Tested to Built Ford Tough standards

The new F-Series Super Duty debuts as the most tested pickup in the company’s history. It endured more than 12 million miles of testing for the 2017 model year, which was increased by an additional 7 million miles for 2020 to ensure the new Super Duty can stand up to the rigors the most exacting truck customers demand of it. This torture includes running the truck around the clock under the most extreme loads and through all kinds of environmental conditions using dynos, test tracks and public roads. Because the testing surfaces and durability test tracks are so punishing, many of the miles are run using robot drivers that can handle the abuse better than humans to ensure every F-Series truck is Built Ford Tough.

Ford’s new 2020 F-Series Super Duty will start shipping to dealers this fall.

View full article

From speculation in a couple articles, it sounds like that 7.3 V8 is going to be a new old-school pushrod V8.  "The motor uses a new cam-in-block, overhead valve architecture with cast iron block and forged steel crankshaft.."

Interesting retro move, compared to the OHC V8s they've been doing for over 20 years..

Edited by Robert Hall

13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

From speculation in a couple articles, it sounds like that 7.3 V8 is going to be a new old-school pushrod V8.  "The motor uses a new cam-in-block, overhead valve architecture with cast iron block and forged steel crankshaft.."

Interesting retro move, compared to the OHC V8s they've been doing for over 20 years..

Good for toughness and more compact packaging. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

And low end torque, which is good for towing and Super Duty grunty stuff..

This was my thinking. Smart move to utilize the torquey design. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I didn't think we'd see over 7 liters in a production engine again ever.

Aren't there still rumors of a 7 liter going into the Rams? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Man, you really have to appreciate how competition improves the breed(s)!

I would still opt for the rock solid reliability of the Cummins, but the 7.3 gasser in the Ford Super Duty would (if it is all that it should be) would make me choose the 7.3 over the Ram 6.4!

• Agree 2

Yet if you need this type of a work truck and especially if you have a farm, you probably already have Diesel tractors, so why bother with the Gas Motor when I bet the Diesel is far more efficient. 🤔

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

This was my thinking. Smart move to utilize the torquey design. 

Aren't there still rumors of a 7 liter going into the Rams? 

On a side tangent, FCA needs to do an  'LA Rams' edition of the Ram in purple and yellow...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

Wow they managed to make it look smaller and like agile. I think the RAM looks the most luxo but this looks the most techy in top trims

It looks fantastic in all trims....but top trims especially.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I didn't think we'd see over 7 liters in a production engine again ever.

Me either.  Why not just twin turbo the 5.0 V8 they already have?  I don’t get why they still isn’t an ecoboost V8.   And it can’t be fear of turbo in a pick up because the F150 is mostly turbo and the diesel in the heavy duty is turbo.

I also thought that V10 died in 2010 that engine was old 10 years ago.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I get the feeling that the 7.3 liter V8 will put out about 50 more hp and torque than the 3.5 liter V6 in the Navigator.  I think it sad if any engine isn’t over 100 hp per liter so that V8 better make at least 730 hp and 730 lb-ft.

You still fail to understand how horsepower works. This is going to be a relatively slow turning torque monster, not a high horsepower high revving engine.  Gotta have high revs for high horsepower and that just isn't a good recipe for a tow truck. 

• Agree 3

53 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I get the feeling that the 7.3 liter V8 will put out about 50 more hp and torque than the 3.5 liter V6 in the Navigator.  I think it sad if any engine isn’t over 100 hp per liter so that V8 better make at least 730 hp and 730 lb-ft.

I don't think you understand the point of this engine. 

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You still fail to understand how horsepower works. This is going to be a relatively slow turning torque monster, not a high horsepower high revving engine.  Gotta have high revs for high horsepower and that just isn't a good recipe for a tow truck. 

Even a torque monster should put up big numbers.  The Mercedes V12 is a torque monster and that makes over 100 hp per liter and was doing that 10 years ago.  And a high rev engine should be more in the 200 hp per liter range.  I bet this engine also makes peak torque at 3400 rpm, too high for a puller.

12 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Even a torque monster should put up big numbers.  The Mercedes V12 is a torque monster and that makes over 100 hp per liter and was doing that 10 years ago.  And a high rev engine should be more in the 200 hp per liter range.  I bet this engine also makes peak torque at 3400 rpm, too high for a puller.

This is a work truck engine. What part about that is difficult to understand. 

Check this spec out.. 

Mercedes Unimog has a 7.7L 6cyl making 299hp and 899tq. That's some weak-ass sh!t. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

MB V-12 dates back to 1998. It's also only rated to tow a measly 7700 lbs.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Check this spec out.. 

Mercedes Unimog has a 7.7L 6cyl making 299hp and 899tq. That's some weak-ass sh!t. 

Diesels tend to be low on HP and high on torque.  Low RPM torque is what counts w/ diesels and work trucks.

Edited by Robert Hall

21 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Even if it did, it probably also makes great torque at 1700rpm also. 

You always manage to bring Mercedes into a thread somehow..... total fanboi. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Oh I know but compared to the D3's diesels.. WEAK. 

Maybe for the Unimog's European markets, they make enough....they aren't in Texass..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

I can't tell if you're serious or think I'm being serious.. I'm just digging at the Mercedes fanboi in the room who always likes to take digs at anything American. 

I'm being serious....899 lbs/ft (or rods to the hectare or whatever EU measurement is in use) is plenty enough...

Edited by Robert Hall

I can't tell if you're serious or think I'm being serious.. I'm just digging at the Mercedes fanboi in the room who always likes to take digs at anything American. 

And deservedly so.

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I'm being serious....899 lbs/ft (or rods to the hectare or whatever EU measurement is in use) is plenty enough...

I know it's plenty, just as if this new 7.3 put out 500lb-ft would be plenty but not as much as others or other options or whatever the fck he's trying to convey. 

Edited by ccap41

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Diesels tend to be low on HP and high on torque.  Low RPM torque is what counts w/ diesels and work trucks.

Because they are turbocharged.  Which is why Ford could have turbocharged their 5.0 V8 and had a better engine and saved development cost.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Check this spec out.. 

Diesel.

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I know it's plenty, just as if this new 7.3 put out 500lb-ft would be plenty but not as much as others or other options or whatever the fck he's trying to convey. 

My point is Ford made a new engine that will likely be weaker and thirstier than if they Ecoboosted the 5.0 V8.  They spent more money for a worse engine, makes no sense.  Unless the specs of this V8 are amazing which I doubt since they didn’t release them.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Diesel.

ReAlLy? 

Ram makes due with 1.0L less displacement in their 6 cyl and they make 400hp and 1000lb-ft or torque. 

Ford makes due with 1.0L less displacement and they make 450hp and 935lb-ft or torque

Chevy makes due with 1.1L less displacement and they make 445hp and 910lb-ft of torque. 

Tell Mercedes if they need any pointers to come across the pond. 

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

My point is Ford made a new engine that will likely be weaker and thirstier than if they Ecoboosted the 5.0 V8.  They spent more money for a worse engine, makes no sense.  Unless the specs of this V8 are amazing which I doubt since they didn’t release them.

So far that whole BS argument of Turbo engines are more fuel efficient is just that BS. Once you put your foot into it to create the power they have proven to be thirstier than naturally aspirated motors.

I would expect Ford to use this new Beast of a motor in their medium duty line of commercial trucks where it will out last a smaller sized turbo'd gas motor.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

ReAlLy? 

Ram makes due with 1.0L less displacement in their 6 cyl and they make 400hp and 1000lb-ft or torque. 

Ford makes due with 1.0L less displacement and they make 450hp and 935lb-ft or torque

Chevy makes due with 1.1L less displacement and they make 445hp and 910lb-ft of torque. 

Tell Mercedes if they need any pointers to come across the pond. 

Mercedes Trucks do have a 155,000 mile powertrain warranty, a bit longer than what you get a Chevy or Ford, and Unimog has to hit the Euro VI emissions standards too, which probably play a role in engine tuning.  But we are comparing commercial truck to retail/personal use truck here.  The Merceds Actros has 3,000 lb-ft of torque, granted it is a 15.6 liter engine, but Mercedes has no problem making torque out of their engines.

Daimler is also the #1 commercial truck seller on this side of the pond too, they know trucks better than anyone.  Daimler invented the truck after all:

first-daimler-truck-1.jpg

• Haha 2

The 5.0L does not have a duty cycle that involves pushing a truck that itself probably weighs in dually form supercrew cab twice as much as the F150 5.0L.

It is not a work engine. And they did modify a version of the Coyote-Voodoo lineage for the GT500. That is meant for a sports car. Not a heavy duty.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

The 5.0L does not have a duty cycle that involves pushing a truck that itself probably weighs in dually form supercrew cab twice as much as the F150 5.0L.

It is not a work engine. And they did modify a version of the Coyote-Voodoo lineage for the GT500. That is meant for a sports car. Not a heavy duty.

Correct.  Though maybe the 7.3 will eventually find it's way into a Mustang 4WD Super Duty edition. ;)

8 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It is in SMKs alternate reality.

According to the Book of Knowledge, it was in 1895.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, dfelt said:

I would expect Ford to use this new Beast of a motor in their medium duty line of commercial trucks where it will out last a smaller sized turbo'd gas motor.

Without actually saying that.. Ford said that. They said they know the requirements of medium duty trucks and all that. I believe it is in the below video. I don't know how to embed them so you can just click "play". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtNlfAbc2w&feature=youtu.be

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Correct.  Though maybe the 7.3 will eventually find it's way into a Mustang 4WD Super Duty edition. ;)

According to the Book of Knowledge, it was in 1895.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck

Right...and in 1895 a major Buggy works in  Columbus was building the types of carriages actually pulled by horses. they had another good decade in them. Building the first in 1895, if that actually was the first, has zero bearing on their ability to build trucks today.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Right...and in 1895 a major Buggy works in  Columbus was building the types of carriages actually pulled by horses. they had another good decade in them. Building the first in 1895, if that actually was the first, has zero bearing on their ability to build trucks today.

Perhaps, but M-B has been building trucks pretty much uninterrupted for over a century, so it's not like they are a newcomer to trucks like some are asserting.  Maybe not US style light and heavy duty pickups, but commercial trucks in general have long been one of their major product lines. 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'd LOVE to see a swap into the mustang with this! I don't care what the power numbers are stock, it would just be really cool. 

Yes...don't know if it would fit without major mods... a Power Stroke diesel Mustang would be interesting also (I think some of those have been swapped into modern Mustangs).   

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2