Cars you are ashamed to admit you like

2QuickZ's

So I saw an ad for a Fiat 500L Urbana Edition the other day and while I can say it is not my cup of tea at all, it got me thinking about cars I do like that I am at least a little bit ashamed to admit to.  I thought it might be a fun and interesting topic.  To keep it timely, lets say it has to be a vehicle that was produced within the last 5 years.  It does not have to be sold in the U.S. market for you to post it.  Here are a few of mine:

Fiat 500X Trekking

This is the one I was thinking of when I thought of this topic.  I'm not sure why and I can't explain it, but I actually like these little buggers.  I'm ashamed to admit I actually like it better than its Jeep Renegade sibling.  I know it tends to be thought of as somewhat of a "chick" car but I dig it.

10-1-2015-11-34-56-AM-9531151.jpg

Chevrolet Sonic

Another little runabout that I am a little ashamed to admit that I really like.  For this one, though, I am not really sure why I am ashamed.  They aren't bad little cars.  The current gen is a bit oddly styled I guess.  Give me the last versions exterior and the current versions interior and I'd have a winner on my hands.

Used-2016-Chevrolet-Sonic-RS-ID1753358862017-Chevrolet-Sonic-05.jpg

Buick LaCrosse

Again, I won't say I am horribly ashamed to admit it, but I am a little ashamed.  As a middle aged man, I don't think I am supposed to be drawn to this car until I am 15 years older than I am now and yet here I am really liking this car.  I would take it over the Impala.  Seriously considered buying one of them last year when they had some huge rebates on them but wound up not pulling the trigger.

2019-Buick-Lacrosse_B11_o.jpg?s=297218

• Agree 3

This car is too cute for my tastes. Or so I thought. But there are soooooo many cute details embedded in this car that Im ashamed to admit that I like. I like that charm the Mini Cooper has.  Take here these taillights for instance. And there are other  similarly cute details  too. You cant help BUT like a car this cute. It is embarrassing  when you pride yourself a very macho muscle car lover though.

Related image

This next one needs no words explaining why. Im mean, just look at it!!!

Image result for honda crosstour

And finally. I hate SUVs. Cant STAND THEM. I HATE BMWs. Im VERY local with my friends and on any automotive forum website on how much I hate SUVs and how I LOATHE BMW and how I LOATHE BMW for insulting our intelligence with this SAV bullshyte. With that being said...

Image result for BMW X6M

Related image

So you could see how me admitting to this becomes embarrassing. Ok...downright hypocritical.

Hey...it is what it is! 

Edited by oldshurst442

^^^^^

My brother likes that car right up there because, and I quote, their "phat ass".

I like the new Camry. Say what you will. But you can still get a V6. You can still get a real automatic. Now of course you can always say that we'l, for the same money and some change just get a damn Impala you noob...

And to that I say, but does it have a true Quad Exhaust? And then some fake ass bumper vents. I don't know why Toyoto did that to be quite honest. Like who thought it made sense to tack on Walmart style fake vents on that damn thing?

2EBCCD55-DA90-41A7-A4DE-FF424646F11E.jpeg

• Agree 2

One of mine would be the Toyota 4Runner.   It ain't purdy, but there is something reassuring about this old, solid off-roader.  Out of date in just about every way imaginable, they still ride nice.  In a different life situation, I might own one. 

FRN_MY17_0021_V002.jpg

• Agree 3

My Genesis lease is up in August and I've been giving great thought to my next move... purchase a CPO LaCrosse (which is most-likely what I'll do), or, and I'm ashamed to admit this... get a new Camry XLE V6.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paolino said:

My Genesis lease is up in August and I've been giving great thought to my next move... purchase a CPO LaCrosse (which is most-likely what I'll do), or, and I'm ashamed to admit this... get a new Camry XLE V6.

At least go with an Avalon if you're going Toyota.

36 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

At least go with an Avalon if you're going Toyota.

I can't get on board with the interior or exterior of the Avalon.  The grille is way too big and I hate the center stack.

35 minutes ago, Paolino said:

I can't get on board with the interior or exterior of the Avalon.  The grille is way too big and I hate the center stack.

Really? I'm surprised.  The Avalon is one of my guilty pleasures and it is way faster than its HP numbers would suggest. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Really? I'm surprised.  The Avalon is one of my guilty pleasures and it is way faster than its HP numbers would suggest. 

You don't think the grille is too big?  And the Camry is the same V6 and I've heard the same things about its speed.

Just now, Paolino said:

You don't think the grille is too big?  And the Camry is the same V6 and I've heard the same things about its speed.

I've grown to accept it.  I really like the tail end.  Yeah, I know the Camry is the same V6, it just doesn't have as nice an interior as the Avalon and I know you like the lux of your Genesis. 

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I've grown to accept it.  I really like the tail end.  Yeah, I know the Camry is the same V6, it just doesn't have as nice an interior as the Avalon and I know you like the lux of your Genesis. 

I do but honestly, it's the way the car drives that puts me off with the Genesis.  The LaCrosse although older is smoother than my Genesis... the Gen drives sportier, which I can understand people want... I want the opposite.  The Avalon, well, I guess I'd have to get the upper trims to really appreciate the interior and I was trying to keep the price down a little.  I love the top interior trim of the Avalon (even if it has the center stack I'm not a fan of)

I honestly at one time thought I could see myself with a G-Wagon from MB. Yet with the moving goal post that @smk4565 has done with everything MB and especially today with an ASSHOLE MB CUV owner who moved set cones at the pass to park right in front and minimize walking which also made it impossible for me to leave I had to wait to get the Ski Resort to tow the assholes POS out of the way. 

I can honestly say I do not see myself ever owning an MB or BMW auto.

I can say that I might if Porsche ever builds something big enough to fit me comfy go with them or Audi.

My other only two non-American auto's I would own is a true Skyline (R33/R34) or possibly a Land Cruiser from Toyota.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I honestly at one time thought I could see myself with a G-Wagon from MB. Yet with the moving goal post that @smk4565 has done with everything MB and especially today with an ASSHOLE MB CUV owner who moved set cones at the pass to park right in front and minimize walking which also made it impossible for me to leave I had to wait to get the Ski Resort to tow the assholes POS out of the way. 

I can say that I might if Porsche ever builds something big enough to fit me comfy go with them or Audi.

My other only two non-American auto's I would own is a true Skyline (R33/R34) or possibly a Land Cruiser from Toyota.

Im laughing. But for you at the time must not have been that funny! Im also laughing at the effect our resident M-B fanboy has had on us. 

+1 on the Skylines! 

I dont think Ill ever own a German car. Ever.  Ill drool over some cars that have come out of Germany, but Ill never buy one. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im laughing. But for you at the time must not have been that funny! Im also laughing at the effect our resident M-B fanboy has had on us. 

+1 on the Skylines! 

I dont think Ill ever own a German car. Ever.  Ill drool over some cars that have come out of Germany, but Ill never buy one. 

I could see getting my partner a C-Class

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I could see getting my partner a C-Class

Yuck!

The last Mercedes of that size I liked was the 190 way back when. And even then...

One thing that I was surprised to see in Greece last summer, that Bimmers were nowhere to be seen. But the C Class was everywhere. It was shocking to me as in the 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s the BMW 3 Series in Greece was a staple. 

I guess your feeling for getting your partner into one may not be such a bad idea...if Greeks like it (not this Greek though) then you cant go wrong...

But you sure you want to trust  a nation that has a hard time with their money for the last...100 years...yet drive Mercedes Benz C Classes? 🤔   Their judgement may not be the best you know...

Something to think about...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

One of mine would be the Toyota 4Runner.   It ain't purdy, but there is something reassuring about this old, solid off-roader.  Out of date in just about every way imaginable, they still ride nice.  In a different life situation, I might own one. 

FRN_MY17_0021_V002.jpg

It’s funny I saw this, because I was thinking the same thing!

Not sure what it is,  but i am drawn to them...

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

^^^^^

My brother likes that car right up there because, and I quote, their "phat ass".

I like the new Camry. Say what you will. But you can still get a V6. You can still get a real automatic. Now of course you can always say that we'l, for the same money and some change just get a damn Impala you noob...

And to that I say, but does it have a true Quad Exhaust? And then some fake ass bumper vents. I don't know why Toyoto did that to be quite honest. Like who thought it made sense to tack on Walmart style fake vents on that damn thing?

2EBCCD55-DA90-41A7-A4DE-FF424646F11E.jpeg

While I really am not a fan of Toyota at all, I will admit that I do kinda like this version of the Camry.  I even kinda liked the interior of it.  I definitely feel all dirty and ashamed after admitting it. 😆

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm not in love with the interior but its alright.  I can't get past that giant, gaping maw this sucker has.  Not my style at all.  Different strokes for different folks, though.  If Paolino is going to get one of 'em, he should at least see if he can find a new '18 on the lot somewhere or get a used one.  JMHO.

• Haha 1

For me it would not be an every day car but more of a bargain used car in the Jeremy Clarkson road trip style.  I like the 2007 era Jaguar XJR and XK, mid 90s Riviera, 2001 STS or Pontiac Aztek.  If I were on a car show needing a car to like that was sort of a joke too, it would be one of those.

12 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Get the best LaCrosse you can afford.  Seriously.

Well, that is a confusing situation.  There's a CPO 2018 Avenir and 2 Premiers that have my attention, but even though I can afford them, the rational side of me says, "You should prob just get the Essence... or why not that cheap 2016 Sport Touring with only 15K miles on it... that's a steal!"  I also have to really drive the new one because I need to see if I would be able to 1) get in/out easily since I'm tall and the rooflines are low, and 2) if I can tolerate the start/stop.  Supposedly it's good, but having had POS cars while in college, there's that anxiety you get when you feel the car has "stalled".

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I like the 4Runner too, but not in Bling trim, I prefer the more fitting off-road trims.

Saw a TRD Pro 4Runner today and it was sharp, monochromatic. Was eye catching. I could see why people like that package. :thumbsup:

57 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Saw a TRD Pro 4Runner today and it was sharp, monochromatic. Was eye catching. I could see why people like that package. :thumbsup:

I don’t really like the styling, but I’ve long liked the 4Runner for its off road capabilities.   The TRD Pro looks good in Calvary Blue.  Nice color.  

One Toyota guilty pleasure for me would be a late model Land Cruiser.  Great off-road and they run forever, albeit rather dated inside. 

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, dfelt said:

There are a ton of non American cars I would own.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I don’t really like the styling, but I’ve long liked the 4Runner for its off road capabilities.   The TRD Pro looks good in Calvary Blue.  Nice color.  

Here's one in Cavalry Blue.  Pretty tough.

IMG_1519.jpg

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

If I HAD TO buy a minivan, I must admit to liking the Chrysler Pacifica.  I rented one two years ago and I was most impressed by the UConnect and the built-in navigation system.  Compared to a lot of other ones it seems to be the best one.

I've only ever driven the Pacifica Hybrid and it was fantastic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The first time I knew that color was a thing was at the STL Auto Show and it blew my tits off. It's such an awesome color and fits the TRD theme/style perfectly without being a bland or obnoxious. I LOVE it, 

:mind-blowing:

• Haha 2

I think it might possibly be one of, if not THE, best first vehicles for a new driver. They're slow, they appear to have great visibility, there's room for school/sports/extra curricular activities, upright seating position, available manual transmission, and if you live in the snow belt there's AWD available for you as well(even with a manual transmission). 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Painfully enjoyable seeing a TRD Pro Tacoma in that blue. 😊

The most Fiat of Jeeps is on my list of "ashamed of" vehicles.

Jeep Renegade.jpg

21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I could see using a Renegade as a fun beach cruiser or around city vehicle.  I could see my sister replacing her Trax with one, and keeping it in Florida. 

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I think it might possibly be one of, if not THE, best first vehicles for a new driver. They're slow, they appear to have great visibility, there's room for school/sports/extra curricular activities, upright seating position, available manual transmission, and if you live in the snow belt there's AWD available for you as well(even with a manual transmission). 

I like the removable roof.  The smaller engine might be slow, but it's surprisingly smooth and has a good manual transmission.  Where they fall down for me is on the interior.  I want something more luxury oriented even if it is small. I'll stick with my slow but more luxury Encore for that.

• Agree 2

• 4 months later...

I've always … kinda… liked porsche 911s. There, I got that out.

It might be interesting to pick up a '60s mercedes SL. They're fascinatingly poorly built, so it'd be a ton of work to get it up to even '60s structural standards/finish … then shoehorn a worked Buick 455 / TH400 into it; drive the purists nuts. :D 

• Haha 1

First, considering Tacoma WA has been a much maligned city that has only recently been looked at for a renaissance because Seattle has become so congested and expensive, I have to snicker when I see a Toyota Tacoma and that Toyota named a truck that.  Meh.  It sounds good.  It's an alliteration.

I wouldn't say I'm ashamed of liking this car, but if I had to putt around in an econobox, I'd putt around in a Hyundai Accent.  When I did rent one, I was surprised how much I liked it.  I got in synch with it right away.

15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Though I know firsthand how old Mercedes can be money pits

Anytime I think of an old Mercedes, I think of the ones my first-gen German-American childhood friends' parents hung onto for eternity and kept in mint condition ... or Irma Bunt. 

4 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

First, considering Tacoma WA has been a much maligned city that has only recently been looked at for a renaissance because Seattle has become so congested and expensive, I have to snicker when I see a Toyota Tacoma and that Toyota named a truck that.  Meh.  It sounds good.  It's an alliteration.

I wouldn't say I'm ashamed of liking this car, but if I had to putt around in an econobox, I'd putt around in a Hyundai Accent.  When I did rent one, I was surprised how much I liked it.  I got in synch with it right away.

Considering the gang wars and all the low income problems of Tacoma, I am honestly surprised that Toyota named a truck after Tacoma WA.

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Considering the gang wars and all the low income problems of Tacoma, I am honestly surprised that Toyota named a truck after Tacoma WA.

I don't know much about Tacoma, but I would like to visit the LeMay Car Museum. 

51 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I don't know much about Tacoma, but I would like to visit the LeMay Car Museum. 

That is the only bright spot in Tacoma. I love that Museum.