Drew Dowdell

Tesla Announces $35,000 Model 3 Now Available; Closing Most Retail Locations

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Given how nasty the F and I guys are when you buy a car at a traditional dealership, I will feel no sorrow if they go the way of the dodo bird.

I totally agree as Ford sales person is like the worst to deal with out there. So pushy, arrogant and uninformed about their products details.

I have no problem when bad dealerships go away. But for me, I have certain needs as you know and being able to actually sit in one and test it out will always have me going to a dealership over on-line buying.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It has been spotted in very complete form out testing. 

I thought I was being QUITE specific when I stated "official announcement of production".
Trade/enthusiast chatter and spy shots are not official.

Buick showed the Wildcat mid-engine concept, fully functional, in numerous settings, plus it saw a ton of press. But it was never announced it was going into production. Therefore, the 'production clock' never started. As opposed to March 2016 and the Tesla Model 3.

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 6.22.49 PM.png

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I thought I was being QUITE specific when I stated "official announcement of production".

Buick showed the Wildcat mid-engine concept, fully functional, in numerous settings, plus it saw a ton of press. But it was never announced it was going into production. Therefore, the 'production clock' never started. As opposed to March 2016 and the Tesla Model 3.

I like this Buick Wildcat.

I never knew this concept existed. 

Thank-you Balthy, this is a nice Birthday present you gave me. Now I will google and learn! 

• Upvote 2

Happy Birthday, Peanut

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I googled and learned that the engine is a 3.8 liter Buick V6  reworked by McLaren. No surprise there.  One could clearly see its Buick's 3800 and no surprise that McLaren was the builder of the engine when one figures out that the concept was showcased in 1985. 

What surprised me was that this concept was showcased in 1985...as a Buick mid-engined affair.  Before The Corvette Indy ME and the Oldsmobile Aerotech. Sure there was a couple of mid-engined Corvette concepts in the 1970s, Buick got into that game too ahead of Oldsmobile. Impressive. 

Another thing that surprised me was this Buick was not a fast concept like the Aerotech was. I thought maybe that numbers would rival and beat the Buick GNX numbers. But no. Below the GNX numbers and a tad higher than the Grand National numbers making this concept pretty boring for stats comparisons...

It was supposedly high tech inside though...

Im glad to have read about it. Again, thanx Balthy for always giving me something new to see! 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

My pleasure! Lots more out there too!

I certainly would not say being between the GN and the GNX (quicker than the Corvette that year) is in any way "pretty boring" If you recall the 1/4 mile stats pic from '79 I posted, 1985 was just starting to come out of a terrible era for performance. And the Olds Aerotech was a performance bomb- didn't it do 200 MPH with the Quad-4? Off the charts.

RE the Wildcat - Aerotech - ME corvette concepts... I think the Divisions were still coming off of their recently-stripped autonomy and were still able to eek out some headstrong moves like these 3.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

Then no, it has not.  Though with the sightings that have popped up, patent drawings that have leaked, even the keyfob has been shown, I'm inclined to believe that it is coming.  Concept cars aren't typically seen out on proving grounds because they have nothing to prove. Not in the last 20 years anyway. 

I agree that it's coming! Too much ancillary evidence, as you mentioned. Plus I've never seen as much testing for ANY of the other ME Corvette programs.
I just hope the FE version remains alongside of it- the current car blows me away in person.

• Upvote 2