NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1989 Cadillac Fleetwood

I've had a small love affair with these for a couple of years now.  I would totally daily that one in the top vid.  It makes me want to take my Toronado out for a spin today. 

Guy I knew a couple years ago had picked up a super clean black on black '95 or 96 DTS that I had a ride in, I thought that was totally a decent daily driver.

• Like 2

That car is in really good shape, only downsides are front wheel drive and that V8 made like 155 hp.   Cadillac used to make roomy comfortable cars, now they make stuff like the CTS and ATS that isn't at all roomy or comfortable.  In their pursuit of BMW they lost any brand identity, the Escalade is the only Cadillac that is roomy and plush and it is the most successful product.  

• Like 2

No one except Navigator buyers seem to want that old school plush luxury anymore. Otherwise the Continental would be selling better.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

SMK is right when he says the Escalade is their stand-out product... because it is an authentic Cadillac (on a truck chassis, but still).  Although I would say the CT6, horrible name notwithstanding, is also a high-class, genuine Cadillac in execution.  Was behind a black one today in traffic.  If it were called Fleetwood instead, the world would go CRAZY.

Escalade is sharp, but it doesn't 'stand out' to my eye. CT6 is tiers above the Esky there, and I would put the CTS 2nd.
In fact, glanced thru some posted pics of the ATS, and as much as I would have veto'd the model because it's too small/downmarket, I do think it was excellently rendered.

Nice car.  I don't like that thing where the steering wheel jumps when he starts it.

8 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Nice car.  I don't like that thing where the steering wheel jumps when he starts it.

That kick is probably the steering wheel being released from the lock position. And it probably locked awkwardly judging on how the steering wheel is in a  slight left turning position and not in the customary center position.  The joker who drove it didnt bother to straighten out the wheel before turning off the ignition.  I know when I park my cars, I always straighten out my wheel to be in the center position to avoid that kind of jerk like how you and I noticed in the video...

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

That kick is probably the steering wheel being released from the lock position. And it probably locked awkwardly judging on how the steering wheel is in a  slight left turning position and not in the customary center position.  The joker who drove it didnt bother to straighten out the wheel before turning off the ignition.  I know when I park my cars, I always straighten out my wheel to be in the center position to avoid that kind of jerk like how you and I noticed in the video...

Does this car have a locking steering column, or is it something to do with the EPS?  When he pushed the starter button, it jumped like an emm effer.  Front wheels look pretty straight judging from the exterior view, steering wheel is hanging just a bit off center when he starts it.

Edited by ocnblu

Posted (edited)

Speaking of the downsized Fleetwoods, there were two Fleetwood Sixty Specials (both black w/ cloth tops) in the recent 3rd season of 'True Detective' on HBO in one episode.  IIRC they were the '87-88 style (without fender skirts). 

Speaking of the 2019 CT6, I sat in a gray one at the auto show in gray like the video above.  I don't recall the trim level, but it was a pleasing light gray inside w/ some wood trim...sticker was $65k IIRC.   Very nice inside and out, I like '19 styling changes. 

Edited by Robert Hall

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Does this car have a locking steering column, or is it something to do with the EPS?  When he pushed the starter button, it jumped like an emm effer.

I do not know.  And you are right...electric power steering should not do this.  I just assumed...because by habit, I center my steering wheel.

Both of my family cars have EPS...they dont lock up and jerk like that...

Edited by oldshurst442

As I am assuming the car has EPS.  I know EPS is still maybe not perfect in terms of driving feel.  Not 100% sure the CT6 has it.

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No one except Navigator buyers seem to want that old school plush luxury anymore. Otherwise the Continental would be selling better.

The Continental also isn’t that nice, even the Black Label is about Volvo S90 level at best let alone what other cars offer at that price.  Plus the Continental is average looking, not really a head turner and how well can a Fusion based car ride and handle?

And space doesn’t just mean rear seat leg room, a lot of new sedans have airplane economy class narrow seats and lack of headroom, which I think is part of the appeal of crossovers, you feel like there is more space with more headroom and wider front seats.

I don’t think Cadillac should rebuild 80s cars but they sure could make their cars feel roomy, and deliver on comfortable seats and ride quality.  Instead of some flawed “every gram of weight matters” strategy used on the CT6 that doesn’t sell cars.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

As I am assuming the car has EPS.  I know EPS is still maybe not perfect in terms of driving feel.  Not 100% sure the CT6 has it.

Most cars have EPS nowadays.  My EPS module went out on my Acura a couple of years ago. Warranty took care of it. Other than that, I do not know what is up with that CT6 steering wheel. 

I think one of the Fusion's recalls was a steering recall. Do not remember for what exactly though. 

And since we are discussing this issue, Im not liking that kick either. 

Edited by oldshurst442