Drew Dowdell

Volvo News: Volvo Setting 112 MPH Speed Limit on All Cars in 2020

Volvo has announced that all 2020 Volvos will come with an electronically limited top speed of 180 kph or 112 mph.  The move is in pursuit of its Vision 2020 goal to have no fatalities or serious injuries in a new Volvo by 2020.  The company identified three remaining gaps in its plan, one of which being speeding. Volvo says that the problem with high speeds is that above a certain point, in-car safety technology is no longer sufficient to prevent serious injury.

The company is also investigating a smart speed control system that will use GPS and geofencing to limit top speed around schools and hospitals.

The two other gap areas Volvo has identified are intoxication and distracted driving.  Volvo will present ideas to tackle these problems at a special event on March 20th.

Volvo Press Release on Page 2

Volvo Cars to impose 180 kph speed limit on all cars to highlight dangers of speeding

Volvo Cars, as a worldwide leader in safety, is sending a strong signal about the dangers of speeding and will limit the top speed on all its cars to 180 kph from 2020.

The company’s Vision 2020, which aims for no one to be killed or seriously injured in a new Volvo by 2020, is one of the most ambitious safety visions in the automotive industry. But realising that technology alone will not get it all the way to zero, Volvo Cars is now broadening its scope to include a focus on driver behaviour.

Research by Volvo Cars has identified three remaining concerns for safety that constitute so-called ‘gaps’ in its ambition to completely end serious injuries and fatalities in its cars, with speeding a very prominent one.

“Volvo is a leader in safety: we always have been and we always will be,” said Håkan Samuelsson, president and chief executive. "Because of our research we know where the problem areas are when it comes to ending serious injuries and fatalities in our cars. And while a speed limitation is not a cure-all, it’s worth doing if we can even save one life.”

Apart from limiting top speeds, the company is also investigating how a combination of smart speed control and geofencing technology could automatically limit speeds around schools and hospitals in future.

“We want to start a conversation about whether car makers have the right or maybe even an obligation to install technology in cars that changes their driver´s behaviour, to tackle things like speeding, intoxication or distraction,” said Mr. Samuelsson. “We don’t have a firm answer to this question, but believe we should take leadership in the discussion and be a pioneer.”

The problem with speeding is that above certain speeds, in-car safety technology and smart infrastructure design are no longer enough to avoid severe injuries and fatalities in the event of an accident. That is why speed limits are in place in most western countries, yet speeding remains ubiquitous and one of the most common reasons for fatalities in traffic.

Millions of people still get speeding tickets every year and traffic accident data from the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration shows that 25 per cent of all traffic fatalities in the US in 2017 were caused by speeding.

People simply do not recognise the danger involved in speed, says Jan Ivarsson, one of Volvo Cars’ leading safety experts.

“As humans, we all understand the dangers with snakes, spiders and heights. With speeds, not so much,” said Mr Ivarsson. “People often drive too fast in a given traffic situation and have poor speed adaption in relation to that traffic situation and their own capabilities as a driver. We need to support better behaviour and help people realise and understand that speeding is dangerous.”

Beyond speeding, two other problem areas constitute ‘gaps toward zero’. As obvious a problem as speeding (and as difficult to end) is intoxication. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal in large parts of the world, yet it remains a prime reason for injuries and fatalities on today’s roads.

The other area is distraction. Drivers distracted by their mobile phones or otherwise not fully engaged in driving are another major cause of traffic fatailities. In many ways, they are equally dangerous as drunk drivers.

Volvo Cars will present ideas to tackle the problem areas of intoxication and distraction at a special safety event in Gothenburg, Sweden on March 20.

View full article

No serious injuries at 112mph? LOL

I don't think too many people survive crashes even at 80mph.

Volvo just threw a bone to aftermarket programmers.

1 hour ago, ykX said:

No serious injuries at 112mph? LOL

I don't think too many people survive crashes even at 80mph.

yeah, but they're gonna try and limit it on the Autobahn.

I see no problem with speed limiting...outside of the autobahn and race tracks, there aren't any real world use cases where one would or need to go much past 85..

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I see no problem with speed limiting...outside of the autobahn and race tracks, there aren't any real world use cases where one would or need to go much past 85..

Just give me the real important number TORQUE! Let me move to highway speed quickly, many of GMs auto's do that, but plenty of others are pathetic trying to get up to highway speed.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, in the real world torque is way more useful than horsepower...    I remember a few times driving my sister's Trax in AZ w/ the metered stop lights on ramps and the challenge of getting up to speed to get on the freeway...  my old Jeep was passable....but the DTS excelled in the ramp-to-freeway dash... 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

Limit of 112 mph sounds boring.  I get that you'd almost never see triple digit speed on public roads outside of an autobahn type setting but still.  I also suspect there are very few accidents where speeding is the cause, 90% of the time it is people not paying attention.  You probably see as many accidents in 25 mph zones as you do on the autobahn with people doing 125.

I could see a speed limiter being an issue on a Porsche, but on a Volvo?  Has anyone every actually gone over a speed limit in a Volvo?  Speeding really isn’t in the Volvo image.  

• Upvote 2

People buy Volvos for safety and comfort... not to be able to go 113mph.  This wouldn't weigh in on my decision to buy one or not at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Not big on nanny wear....while there’s a good chance I’m not going 113mph, sometimes you might need a kick to merge on a speedy highway or something.

Limiting speed is not going to help the stupid.....

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I also suspect there are very few accidents where speeding is the cause, 90% of the time it is people not paying attention.  You probably see as many accidents in 25 mph zones as you do on the autobahn with people doing 125.

They're talking about fatalities. I'm not surprised you overlooked something though. 😉

59 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

They're talking about fatalities. I'm not surprised you overlooked something though. 😉

Higher speed crashes tend to have more fatalities than lower speed crashes, regardless of the maker of the car.   And in other news, boiling water can burn one's hands. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Higher speed crashes tend to have more fatalities than lower speed crashes, regardless of the maker of the car.   And in other news, boiling water can burn one's hands. 

EXACTLY what they are going for. 

112mph still seems pretty high but there must be a study out there saying crashes above 112mph tend to be much worse than 100mph. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

EXACTLY what they are going for. 

112mph still seems pretty high but there must be a study out there saying crashes above 112mph tend to be much worse than 100mph. 🤷‍♂️

112 mph is 180 km/h...maybe that has some significance.  Otherwise, seems like a random number.

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

112 mph is 180 km/h...maybe that has some significance.  Otherwise, seems like a random number.

In all fairness, speed limiters have always been a pretty random number in MPH(on non- high performance cars). After this came out I decided to look at an F150 for shts and it's limited to like 107 or 108. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

In all fairness, speed limiters have always been a pretty random number in MPH(on non- high performance cars). After this came out I decided to look at an F150 for shts and it's limited to like 107 or 108. 

Speed rating on tires are often a limiting factor... 

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Speed rating on tires are often a limiting factor... 

Most definitely. Still odd numbers. 

55 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Most definitely. Still odd numbers. 

180 kph must be some meaningful number on the autobahn. 

@Drew Dowdell @ccap41

Now not a Fact, but according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn you have 3 speeds, far right is max of 130kph, middle lane is up to 150 kph and far left lane is for auto's 170kph and above.

I am thinking the 180 kph is to allow all driving on the autobahn but keep a lid on the top end speed to keep the auto safe? 🤷‍♂️

I do question the speed limits as auto's have gotten so safe and according to wiki again the crash and death rates on the autobahn are some of the lowest anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Germany 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Other manufacturers have governed top speeds as well, just not across the board.

18 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@Drew Dowdell @ccap41

Now not a Fact, but according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn you have 3 speeds, far right is max of 130kph, middle lane is up to 150 kph and far left lane is for auto's 170kph and above.

I am thinking the 180 kph is to allow all driving on the autobahn but keep a lid on the top end speed to keep the auto safe? 🤷‍♂️

I do question the speed limits as auto's have gotten so safe and according to wiki again the crash and death rates on the autobahn are some of the lowest anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Germany 

Part of the reason the autobahn is so safe is that it is harder to get a driver's license in Germany than it is in the US.  There is a lot more training involved and much much much better adherence to the rules of the road, even on the autobahn.  You simply don't get people hanging out in the left lane going well under the speed limit because they know they'll get clobbered. 

We would need national strict enforcement of the passing lanes in this country to make any autobahn work here.  The whole driving population would need to be retrained in how to drive. 

• Upvote 4

Driving skills and car maintenance in general are so awful in the US I couldn't imagine the level of carnage with autobahn level speed limits here..Americans in general are too incompetent.  They would be playing on their phones, ironing clothes, eating, etc..

IIRC at one time the German automakers had an agreement to have 155mph as the top speed on their cars. 

51 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Other manufacturers have governed top speeds as well, just not across the board.

Part of the reason the autobahn is so safe is that it is harder to get a driver's license in Germany than it is in the US.  There is a lot more training involved and much much much better adherence to the rules of the road, even on the autobahn.  You simply don't get people hanging out in the left lane going well under the speed limit because they know they'll get clobbered. 

We would need national strict enforcement of the passing lanes in this country to make any autobahn work here.  The whole driving population would need to be retrained in how to drive. 

Population control is what that is called. Imagine all the idiots we would have go away with an Autobahn style freeway system. Love the idea. :D

Eventually it would be super safe once the morons who cannot drive or are afraid to drive are off the road.

After all driving is a privilege earned and we have so many idiots that think it is a right.  :glare:

We really do need retraining of the drivers in this country.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Driving skills and car maintenance in general are so awful in the US I couldn't imagine the level of carnage with autobahn level speed limits here..Americans in general are too incompetent.  They would be playing on their phones, ironing clothes, eating, etc..

IIRC at one time the German automakers had an agreement to have 155mph as the top speed on their cars. 

Darwin isn't a strong enough force unfortunately. 

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      ROCKLEIGH, N.J. (Nov 1, 2019) - Volvo Car USA LLC, (VCUSA) reported U.S. sales of 8,807 vehicles for the month of October, an increase of 20.2 percent from the same period last year. Year-to-date VCUSA has sold 86,239 vehicles, an increase of 6.1 percent from the previous year.
      “Our lineup continues to impress American buyers. Volvo Cars has posted a sales gain in twenty of the last twenty-one months.” said Anders Gustafsson, President and CEO, Volvo Car USA & Senior Vice President Americas.
      The XC90 was the most popular car in October selling 2,720 cars, up 18.2 percent versus October 2018. The XC60 followed with 2,285 cars and the S60 with 2,193 vehicles sold.
    • By William Maley
      Automakers want to be first into a new segment for various reasons. They can become the icon for the class and grab a fair chunk of sales as competitors rush to get their models in. There is a significant downside to being first as it allows some of the competition to study and figure out where to improve on. This brings us to the 2019 Volvo XC40 which is the focus of today’s review. It was one of the late arrivals to the subcompact luxury crossover class, but it allowed the automaker to study and figure what it could improve on. How does it stack up?
      The XC40 shares various design traits with the XC60 and XC90 crossovers. They include a familiar boxy profile, wide rectangular grille, and LED headlights with the signature “Thor’s Hammer” element. But Volvo allowed their designers to play around to give it a distinct identity. Take for example the side profile with its beltline that sharply rakes along the rear door and meets the rear pillar. There is also the option of a two-tone color palette that gives the XC40 a youthful look.
      Inside, the XC40 follows the ideals as seen in other Volvos with a minimalist look. But again, Volvo gave free roam to their designers to make it slightly different. While my test vehicle didn’t come with the bright ‘Lava Orange’ carpet, there is patterned metal trim where you would expect to find wood and felt-like material covering parts of the door panels. There is a fair amount of hard plastics used, but Volvo made the smart decision of keeping them in places where they make sense such as panels covering the center console.
      My R-Design tester came with leather upholstery for the seats, along with power adjustments for those sitting in the front. The front seats are the best place to sit in as they offer plenty of support and comfort for any drive length. In the back, there plenty of head and legroom for most passengers. But the XC40 falters on the seats as the bottom cushions come up a bit short and the seat-back doesn’t have any form of recline.
      Volvo’s technology story in the XC40 is mixed. The reconfigurable 12.3-inch display for the instrument cluster is a delight to look at with vibrant graphics and different layouts to present key information. Move over to the center stack to find a nine-inch touchscreen with Volvo’s Sensus infotainment system. Many of the controls for audio, climate control, and systems are controlled through the screen, with a row of buttons sitting underneath for volume and a few other functions. This decision does make for a cleaner dash but also makes accomplishing simple tasks very irritating. To change the fan speed or audio input, you have to go through various screens to find that one menu or slider. Adding more physical buttons would clutter up the dash, but would massively improve overall usability.
      What engine comes under the hood of the XC40 ultimately depends on the driven wheels. Go for front-wheel drive and you’ll end up with the T4 - turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 187 horsepower. Opt for all-wheel drive like in my tester and you’ll get the T5 - the same 2.0L four, but with 248 horsepower. Both come paired with an eight-speed automatic.
      The T5 is the workhorse of Volvo’s lineup by boasting decent performance and fuel economy for most of their models. In the XC40, the T5 becomes a surprising performer with excellent off the line performance and a seemingly endless flow of power when needed for passing. Some credit is due to the 258 pound-feet of torque which is available on the low end of the rpm band. The eight-speed automatic provided timely and smooth shifts.
      Fuel economy is rated at 23 City/31 Highway/26 Combined. My average for the week landed around 24 mpg.
      Opting for the R-Design does change up the chassis setup with an emphasis on sporty driving. This is apparent in the bends as the XC40 feels confident with minimal body roll and quick reflexes. Steering is responsive, but there will be some who wished there was a little bit more weight dialed in. The downside to the R-Design’s chassis is the ride feeling slightly rough, not helped by the optional 20-inch alloy wheels fitted to my tester.
      Despite being somewhat late to the party, the Volvo XC40 stands out from the subcompact luxury crossover crowd. The styling inside and out put the model into its own space that competitors dream about, along with offering a strong performer in the form of the T5 engine. Where the XC40 stands out is the Care By Volvo subscription service. Starting at $700 a month for 24 months, this service gives you the vehicle, complimentary maintenance, insurance, and the ability to upgrade your vehicle to another one after 12 months. No one has been able to match what Volvo is offering.
      The XC40 shows that if you bring something compelling to the party, it doesn’t matter how late you are.
      Disclaimer: Volvo Provided the XC40, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2019
      Make: Volvo
      Model: XC40
      Trim: T5 R-Design
      Engine: 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 248 @ 5,500
      Torque @ RPM: 258 @ 1,800
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 23/31/26
      Curb Weight: 3,713 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ghent, Belgium
      Base Price: $35,700
      As Tested Price: $46,385 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      R-Design Features - $2,500.00
      Laminated Panoramic Sunroof - $1,200.00
      Vision Package - $1,100.00
      Advanced Package - $995.00
      Premium Package - $900.00
      20" 5-Double Spoke Matte Black Alloy Wheels - $800.00
      Harman Kardon Audio System - $800.00
      Heated Front Seats & Steering Wheel - $750.00
      Metallic Paint - $645.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Automakers want to be first into a new segment for various reasons. They can become the icon for the class and grab a fair chunk of sales as competitors rush to get their models in. There is a significant downside to being first as it allows some of the competition to study and figure out where to improve on. This brings us to the 2019 Volvo XC40 which is the focus of today’s review. It was one of the late arrivals to the subcompact luxury crossover class, but it allowed the automaker to study and figure what it could improve on. How does it stack up?
      The XC40 shares various design traits with the XC60 and XC90 crossovers. They include a familiar boxy profile, wide rectangular grille, and LED headlights with the signature “Thor’s Hammer” element. But Volvo allowed their designers to play around to give it a distinct identity. Take for example the side profile with its beltline that sharply rakes along the rear door and meets the rear pillar. There is also the option of a two-tone color palette that gives the XC40 a youthful look.
      Inside, the XC40 follows the ideals as seen in other Volvos with a minimalist look. But again, Volvo gave free roam to their designers to make it slightly different. While my test vehicle didn’t come with the bright ‘Lava Orange’ carpet, there is patterned metal trim where you would expect to find wood and felt-like material covering parts of the door panels. There is a fair amount of hard plastics used, but Volvo made the smart decision of keeping them in places where they make sense such as panels covering the center console.
      My R-Design tester came with leather upholstery for the seats, along with power adjustments for those sitting in the front. The front seats are the best place to sit in as they offer plenty of support and comfort for any drive length. In the back, there plenty of head and legroom for most passengers. But the XC40 falters on the seats as the bottom cushions come up a bit short and the seat-back doesn’t have any form of recline.
      Volvo’s technology story in the XC40 is mixed. The reconfigurable 12.3-inch display for the instrument cluster is a delight to look at with vibrant graphics and different layouts to present key information. Move over to the center stack to find a nine-inch touchscreen with Volvo’s Sensus infotainment system. Many of the controls for audio, climate control, and systems are controlled through the screen, with a row of buttons sitting underneath for volume and a few other functions. This decision does make for a cleaner dash but also makes accomplishing simple tasks very irritating. To change the fan speed or audio input, you have to go through various screens to find that one menu or slider. Adding more physical buttons would clutter up the dash, but would massively improve overall usability.
      What engine comes under the hood of the XC40 ultimately depends on the driven wheels. Go for front-wheel drive and you’ll end up with the T4 - turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 187 horsepower. Opt for all-wheel drive like in my tester and you’ll get the T5 - the same 2.0L four, but with 248 horsepower. Both come paired with an eight-speed automatic.
      The T5 is the workhorse of Volvo’s lineup by boasting decent performance and fuel economy for most of their models. In the XC40, the T5 becomes a surprising performer with excellent off the line performance and a seemingly endless flow of power when needed for passing. Some credit is due to the 258 pound-feet of torque which is available on the low end of the rpm band. The eight-speed automatic provided timely and smooth shifts.
      Fuel economy is rated at 23 City/31 Highway/26 Combined. My average for the week landed around 24 mpg.
      Opting for the R-Design does change up the chassis setup with an emphasis on sporty driving. This is apparent in the bends as the XC40 feels confident with minimal body roll and quick reflexes. Steering is responsive, but there will be some who wished there was a little bit more weight dialed in. The downside to the R-Design’s chassis is the ride feeling slightly rough, not helped by the optional 20-inch alloy wheels fitted to my tester.
      Despite being somewhat late to the party, the Volvo XC40 stands out from the subcompact luxury crossover crowd. The styling inside and out put the model into its own space that competitors dream about, along with offering a strong performer in the form of the T5 engine. Where the XC40 stands out is the Care By Volvo subscription service. Starting at $700 a month for 24 months, this service gives you the vehicle, complimentary maintenance, insurance, and the ability to upgrade your vehicle to another one after 12 months. No one has been able to match what Volvo is offering.
      The XC40 shows that if you bring something compelling to the party, it doesn’t matter how late you are.
      Disclaimer: Volvo Provided the XC40, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2019
      Make: Volvo
      Model: XC40
      Trim: T5 R-Design
      Engine: 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 248 @ 5,500
      Torque @ RPM: 258 @ 1,800
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 23/31/26
      Curb Weight: 3,713 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ghent, Belgium
      Base Price: $35,700
      As Tested Price: $46,385 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      R-Design Features - $2,500.00
      Laminated Panoramic Sunroof - $1,200.00
      Vision Package - $1,100.00
      Advanced Package - $995.00
      Premium Package - $900.00
      20" 5-Double Spoke Matte Black Alloy Wheels - $800.00
      Harman Kardon Audio System - $800.00
      Heated Front Seats & Steering Wheel - $750.00
      Metallic Paint - $645.00
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Volvo has unveiled the Volvo XC40 Recharge, a fully electric version of their compact XC40 SUV.  Recharge will be the brand name for all Volvo branded EVs going forward and Volvo plans to unveil a Recharge option every year for the next 5 years.  Eventually, all series will get a Recharge option. 
      The XC40 Recharge mostly looks like a standard XC40, except with a closed off front grille area. Where the engine would be is an additional "frunk" for more storage. Range is expected to be about 200 miles on a single charge, and the battery get get to 80% charge in 40 minutes on a fast-charger system.  Motor output is 402 horsepower. 
      The infotainment system is powered by Android and is fully integrated with Volvo On Call, the app that connects your phone to your vehicle. The app offers powertrain and range information at the tap of a screen. 
      Volvo is aiming to make 20 percent of their sales plug-in hybrid vehicles in 2020 and aims to be a completely climate neutral company by 2040.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Volvo has unveiled the Volvo XC40 Recharge, a fully electric version of their compact XC40 SUV.  Recharge will be the brand name for all Volvo branded EVs going forward and Volvo plans to unveil a Recharge option every year for the next 5 years.  Eventually, all series will get a Recharge option. 
      The XC40 Recharge mostly looks like a standard XC40, except with a closed off front grille area. Where the engine would be is an additional "frunk" for more storage. Range is expected to be about 200 miles on a single charge, and the battery get get to 80% charge in 40 minutes on a fast-charger system.  Motor output is 402 horsepower. 
      The infotainment system is powered by Android and is fully integrated with Volvo On Call, the app that connects your phone to your vehicle. The app offers powertrain and range information at the tap of a screen. 
      Volvo is aiming to make 20 percent of their sales plug-in hybrid vehicles in 2020 and aims to be a completely climate neutral company by 2040.
  • Recent Status Updates

• Drew Dowdell

I think the haters have to get over it and step into the reality of 2019 and the future. This is the next addition to the #Mustang family. The fact that it is an EV makes it even more interesting. I think it will sell well (for an EV) and do better than the Tesla Model X since it is significantly cheaper but still gets up to 300 miles range.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

I could get comfortable in the back of the G90, the back seat is fabulous. What do you think of the new @genesis_usa flagship?
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

The @Hyundai party with Brett Michael's.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

And here its is, the most controversial car in the #laautoshow, the #Mustang #MachE. I think they did a good job with it, and if they're going to make a whole family of Mustangs, this is a very good start.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

The second most controversial car at the #LAAutoShow. #corvette #c8
      · 0 replies
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook