Drew Dowdell

Geneva 2019: Mazda Unveils the CX-30 Crossover: Comments

@oldshurst442 I agree that red has its place and for sure is hot on woman. But I stick with my own assessment that their are other colors that are just as sexy at auto shows than red, black, silver and white.

Chinese auto show

See the source image

Tokyo autoshow

See the source image

Seoul Autoshow

See the source image

• Upvote 1

Interesting...didn't realize PSA had the DS brand in Japan...surprised they chose Peugeot for the US instead of DS. 

• Upvote 1

Ford at Seoul

See the source image

Chevrolet at Seoul

See the source image

• Upvote 1

Wow remove or cut the cladding by 75% please... Other than that, it works.  Not sure how much cheaper they can price this than the CX5..

• Upvote 2

Interesting, looks like they are going w/ the non-conforming nomenclature for the US market..it's already up on the US Mazda website. 

They probably should have at least split the difference between the 3 and 5 and went with 4 but whatever.. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

They probably should have at least split the difference between the 3 and 5 and went with 4 but whatever.. 

Yeah, CX-4 would have made sense for the US....but they already have a different CX-4 in other markets, so they probably didn't want to use it here.  But having 3,30,5, and 9 makes no sense...

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I agree that red has its place and for sure is hot on woman. But I stick with my own assessment that their are other colors that are just as sexy at auto shows than red, black, silver and white.

Of course there are other colours...

As sexy as red though...

All those pics you posted...of the cars...

NONE are as sexy as a red car...

Red could even turn that sad blue Malibu into a hot car...

Image result for red malibu

Because blue...is better suited to sell paradise on earth...

Related image

But ironically, blue represents coldness, rather than hotness...as opposed to the colour red....

Therefore, you could turn BLUE in the face to try to convince yourself actually, red will always be the defacto colour to showcase a car a certain way...

PS: gold and silver are also fantastic colours to showcase a certain level of richness and sophistication for a car...both of those colours lack the fiery, fierceness, taboo, sexuality, evilness that the colour red symbolizes....

Black too...but black is also souless. It represents death...which is great for a certain type of car...A Dodge Demon...ironically the devil is known to wear red...but hence the RED eye Challenger...

Red is red my friend...

red Ferraris and red Lamborghinis...little red Corvettes...cue in Prince...

• Haha 1

Red is kinda Mazda's signature color.  Like Jaguar with their green. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, CX-4 would have made sense for the US....but they already have a different CX-4 in other markets, so they probably didn't want to use it here.  But having 3,30,5, and 9 makes no sense...

Ahhh okay so that makes a little more sense then but I think I would have went with something different than a zero for the second digit. CX-35 or maybe CX-45..? 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ahhh okay so that makes a little more sense then but I think I would have went with something different than a zero for the second digit. CX-35 or maybe CX-45..? 

Or something out of left field like CX-3 2/3rds. 

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Or something out of left field like CX-3 2/3rds. 

CX-3.5  :)

Actually they probably should have called CX-3  as CX-2 since it is based on Mazda 2 and this would be perfect to be called CX-3 since it is based on Mazda 3

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ykX said:

CX-3.5  :)

Actually they probably should have called CX-3  as CX-2 since it is based on Mazda 2 and this would be perfect to be called CX-3 since it is based on Mazda 3

Yeah, that was a misstep on Mazda's part. 

24 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

up, noticed they CX30 is already stated on the USA Mazda site. Talk about a mess this is going to cause. 

It does make me wonder if the rest of the numbers during refresh will go dual digits. CX50, CX90 🤔

17 minutes ago, dfelt said:

up, noticed they CX30 is already stated on the USA Mazda site. Talk about a mess this is going to cause. 

It does make me wonder if the rest of the numbers during refresh will go dual digits. CX50, CX90 🤔

No, why would they do that?

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No, why would they do that?

We could all ask why the Hell Did Johan feel the need to go CT or XT on the cars.

Mazda could feel with all the others out there that are dual digit, maybe someone has the ear of Corporate Mazda in Japan and has them convinced going CX30, CX50, CX90 would move it like other luxury automakers with dual digit auto names.

After all multiple people have stated that Mazda wants to move into the Luxury segment away from the Honda / Toyota / Nissan and more seen as the Acura, Buick, Cadillac, BMW, etc.

Maybe this is the start of moving in that direction with a rename of the auto's.

Oy... MY THING IS... Mazda has had the same limited choice of colors for so many years now.  Same brown, same white, same red, same two bland blues...  Their colors are too conservative, and they will not dare to bring something new.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Oy... MY THING IS... Mazda has had the same limited choice of colors for so many years now.  Same brown, same white, same red, same two bland blues...  Their colors are too conservative, and they will not dare to bring something new.

Because orange, and burnt orange never sold well for Nissan in the early 2000s, teal and aqua is such a 1990s thing and therefore passé, and quite frankly, society today are that bland.  Silver and black and grey and white is what sells the most. Mazda and Dodge, because of their youthful and playful nature, reds and electric blues are offered and sold more than say Chevy and Ford and Toyota and Honda...

Honestly, if you look at GM's or Ford's or Honda's or Nissan's colour palate, is just as drab...

At least with Mazda, their red and blue is striking...

Subaru's blue is also striking. 

But who other's mainstream colour palate is eye catching? 

Dodge...but they sell 1960s/1970s style muscle cars just like they sold them then...

Im afraid, this has more to do with the bland society we live in rather than Mazda's choices for colours. Even if they gave us different shades and options, people of today would NOT buy them anyway... 

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Their CUV's Scream for a lovely Metallic Forest Green! :D 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Their CUV's Scream for a lovely Metallic Forest Green! :D 

Yeah...I could see a darkish green, emerald metallic paint job on Mazda cars and CUVs...

Like this Vette

Related image

But how many dullards would actually go for that colour other than the Miata?  Im willing to bet, not many.

• Upvote 1

2019 Forester has Forest Green Pearl Metallic

See the source image

2019 RAM Black Forest Green Pearl Coat

See the source image

2018 Metallic Forest Green Ford Bullit 50th Anniversary edition

See the source image

2019 Audi RS 5 Sportback Sonoma Green Metallic

See the source image

2018 VW Tiguan Dark Moss Green Metallic

See the source image

Not allot, but clearly some brands realize more than the basic Black, White, Silver, Red, Blue for colors.

Mazda needs to step out of their very conservative colors. Add a couple fun ones.

That green is a little dark in person on the Ram, but I would take it in a heartbeat.  With the lovely brown cloth interior.  It rocks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

That green is a little dark in person on the Ram, but I would take it in a heartbeat.  With the lovely brown cloth interior.  It rocks.

Yes, Mazda's bright blood red is boring but dark brown or green is not. Makes sense .....

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Los Angeles - The Mazda CX-30 originally debuted at the Geneva Auto Show in March of 2019.  Now Mazda is bringing it to the Los Angeles for U.S. consumption.  The CX-30 is the latest vehicle on Mazda's new generation of vehicles that are getting complete makeovers to feel more luxurious in spite of their price.  Slotting between the tiny CX-3 and compact CX-5, the CX-30 takes on a Goldilocks approach of not-too-big not-too-small.  It has more of a coupe like roofline than the other two as well.
      Mazda paid special attention to the interior with a comfortable and luxurious cabin.  Engineers focused on reducing noise, harshness, and vibration to create a serene space for driver and passengers. Speakers of the sound system were repositioned in order to improves sound and reduce areas where outside sounds could intrude into the cabin. 
      Mazda is debuting their connected services on the CX-30 with the MyMazda app.  The app can handle remote starting, locking and unlocking the doors, or even activate the hazard lights. Vehicle status such as oil life, fuel level, and tire pressure can be monitored from the app as well. The app will notify owners of important vehicle alerts or recalls. Emergency services such as towing or 911 can be contacted through the system as well. 
      While European customers get a choice of engines, the U.S. spec CX-30 will only come with a single engine option; the Skyactiv 2.5 liter 4-cylinder that produces 186 horsepower, a best in class figure for a standard engine, and 186 lb.-ft of torque. 
      There will be four trims available, base, Select, Preferred, and Premium. Base price starts at $21,900 for the front wheel drive model and $23,300 for the base AWD model. 
        Front-Wheel Drive i-Activ All-Wheel Drive CX-30 $21,900 $23,300 CX-30 Select $23,900 $25,300 CX-30 Preferred $26,200 $27,600 CX-30 Premium $28,200 $29,600

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Los Angeles - The Mazda CX-30 originally debuted at the Geneva Auto Show in March of 2019.  Now Mazda is bringing it to the Los Angeles for U.S. consumption.  The CX-30 is the latest vehicle on Mazda's new generation of vehicles that are getting complete makeovers to feel more luxurious in spite of their price.  Slotting between the tiny CX-3 and compact CX-5, the CX-30 takes on a Goldilocks approach of not-too-big not-too-small.  It has more of a coupe like roofline than the other two as well.
      Mazda paid special attention to the interior with a comfortable and luxurious cabin.  Engineers focused on reducing noise, harshness, and vibration to create a serene space for driver and passengers. Speakers of the sound system were repositioned in order to improves sound and reduce areas where outside sounds could intrude into the cabin. 
      Mazda is debuting their connected services on the CX-30 with the MyMazda app.  The app can handle remote starting, locking and unlocking the doors, or even activate the hazard lights. Vehicle status such as oil life, fuel level, and tire pressure can be monitored from the app as well. The app will notify owners of important vehicle alerts or recalls. Emergency services such as towing or 911 can be contacted through the system as well. 
      While European customers get a choice of engines, the U.S. spec CX-30 will only come with a single engine option; the Skyactiv 2.5 liter 4-cylinder that produces 186 horsepower, a best in class figure for a standard engine, and 186 lb.-ft of torque. 
      There will be four trims available, base, Select, Preferred, and Premium. Base price starts at $21,900 for the front wheel drive model and $23,300 for the base AWD model. 
        Front-Wheel Drive i-Activ All-Wheel Drive CX-30 $21,900 $23,300 CX-30 Select $23,900 $25,300 CX-30 Preferred $26,200 $27,600 CX-30 Premium $28,200 $29,600

• By Drew Dowdell
      2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature
      Mazda is on a mission lately to make their products feel more premium. They have been tuning their vehicles to be quieter and more refined in order to give them an air that they are above their class. This second generation of the Mazda CX-5 debuted for the 2017 model year with a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated 4-cylinder producing 187 horsepower and 186 lb.-ft of torque.  For 2019, Mazda added the 2.5-liter turbocharged engine from the CX-9. On regular gas, the engine produces 227 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft of torque, but if you fill it up with 93 octane, the horsepower figure bumps up to 250.  Available only on the Grand Touring and Signature trims, the 2.5-T makes the CX-5 the compact crossover with the most available torque.  Mazda sent a CX-5 Signature for me to try for a week to see what I thought.
      There’s no replacement for displacement… maybe
      The biggest CX-5 news for 2019 is the engine options. There is the 2.5-T mentioned above and a 2.2-liter turbo diesel. Both are exciting entries into a relatively conservative segment.  The 2.5-T is the second-largest displacement engine available in the segment, behind the 3.2 liter V6 in the Jeep Cherokee.  This 4-cylinder puts out quite a bit more torque than the bigger V6, though the Jeep produces more horsepower (271 @ 6,500 rpm). Even among 4-cylinders, this is the largest displacement you can get, but none of those others offering 2.5 liters also offers a turbocharger. This engine is rated by the EPA to get 22 city / 27 highway.  I got about 24 mpg in mostly city driving. Zero to 60 is a claimed 6.2 seconds.
      Under normal driving, the engine is quiet and composed, with torque coming on quickly when called for. When the pedal is mashed at speed, the CX-5 leaps forward with minimal turbo lag and gives off a strong growl from under the hood. The only time you can really feel any lag in the turbo is if you are starting from a dead stop. Overall, you never feel without power at the tip of your toes and the sounds, and lack of sounds, from the engine room is quiet and refined.
      One area the CX-5 falls behind on is in the transmission department. Although the transmission offers smooth shift and is willing to downshift when called upon, a 6-speed automatic almost feels anachronistic in a time when all of its direct competition is sporting 8 or 9 speeds. I never thought there would come a day when 6-forward gears aren’t enough, but here we are. Adding 2 or 3 more gears to the CX-5 would further liven up the already sporty crossover and help keep the turbocharged engine firmly in the good places of its torque band.
      Ride: Al dente – Firm but tender
      If there is a brand that Mazda is looking to emulate here by being premium without the premium badge, it would likely be BMW.  The ride is firm, but not so harsh as to spill your latte. Steering is on the heavy side with precise control and great on-center feel.  Body roll is minimal. Pushing the CX-5 into corners is fun and the standard G-Vectoring Control Plus makes sure you stay planted where you intended to be.  The i-ACTIV all-wheel-drive mostly runs in front-wheel-drive mode until microscopic amounts of wheel slip are detected and then some torque is instantly transferred to the rear wheels.  Mazda programs the AWD system to always have at least a little bit of torque going to the rear in order for the transfer of torque to happen faster. 
      It’s what’s inside that matter most
      Inside the CX-5, the premium story continues. There is a distinct lack of cheap plastic even in places where they could probably get away with it. The dash and door panels are made of soft-touch material and there is a tasteful amount of chrome trim. Though the seats look black in pictures, they are actually a very dark brown that Mazda calls Caturra Brown Nappa leather. This leather is a feature of the Signature trim level and they are both heated and ventilated.  Rear passengers get heated outboard seats as well, controlled from inside the fold-down center armrest. Also, a feature of the Signature trim is the real wood dash inlay and ambient cabin lighting. The seats in the CX-5 are very comfortable with just the right combination of support and cushion. They would be most welcome companions on a long road trip. The rear seats are fairly flat and do not offer a lot of legroom.  There is no adjustment fore and aft.  Wind and tire noise has been kept to a minimum.
      There are 4 USB ports, two in the up front armrest and two in the rear armrest. Only one of them allows a connection to the infotainment system.  Oddly, the USB ports don’t seem to put out much juice as my phones were very slow to charge from them.
      The infotainment system is another area similar to BMW.  The unit is controlled by a large dial in the center console or touch screen controls. I found the touch aspect to be laggy and a long reach, so I found myself using the dial. Using the dial to navigate is simple enough, but the menus and layout of the screen could probably use a re-think.  Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both here, for some reason only Apple CarPlay can be activated by touch. Operating either system is frustrating with the dial however, this is especially true for Android Auto which I found frustrating to use without touch screen functionality. At least, unlike BMW, Mazda doesn’t charge you an extra subscription fee to use them. Sound from the Bose speakers was clear, but not especially great.
      There was a time when people mostly bought crossovers for the utility of hauling lots of bulky stuff home from the store, however, these days are different. Now, crossovers are a fashion statement.  Still, the CX-5 has 59.6 cubic feet of space with the rear seats folded and 30.9 cubic feet with the seats up.  That is at the high end of mid-pack in the segment with the Honda CR-V being the leader, while the Toyota RAV-4, Chevy Equinox, and Ford Escape all have less. 
      Do you need a safe space? This may be it.
      The Mazda CX-5 Signature comes with a whole host of safety equipment and the center of it all is the heads-up display that keeps the driver informed.  Blind Spot Monitoring, Lane-Keep Assist, and Radar Cruise Control, all have status lights in the heads-up display.  I found the blind spot monitoring system to be especially helpful when I was backing out onto a busy street with limited visibility.  Radar Cruise control is one of my favorite systems of all and I feel it should be standard equipment on all cars. The CX-5 can even read speed limit and stop signs as you approach, changing and updating the local regulations in the heads up display.
      The Signature also comes with active headlights that turn when you turn to help see around corners. They helped me spot a deer on the side of the road I normally would not have seen.
      The Verdict
      The CX-5 Signature is the top of the CX-5 line, so naturally, the price is reflected in that. With an MSRP of $36,890 before any options, the CX-5 may seem pricey, but it comes with everything you could possibly want.  However, when you compare it to other small crossovers with similar equipment it actually ends up comparing favorably to others in its class. I priced out Jeep Cherokee Overland with the 2.0T and technology group and the MSRP is $41,685. A GMC Terrain Denali with all the same option boxes checked? $41,430.  A Honda CR-V can’t even be equipped like the CX-5 because there is no up-level engine option, yet it still rings up to $38,147.
      Overall, Mazda has produced a handsome, sporty, fun to drive crossover with enough utility to remain competitive. They’ve loaded it with safety equipment and kept the price in check. It is definitely worth a look.

View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

• Drew Dowdell

I think the haters have to get over it and step into the reality of 2019 and the future. This is the next addition to the #Mustang family. The fact that it is an EV makes it even more interesting. I think it will sell well (for an EV) and do better than the Tesla Model X since it is significantly cheaper but still gets up to 300 miles range.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

I could get comfortable in the back of the G90, the back seat is fabulous. What do you think of the new @genesis_usa flagship?
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

The @Hyundai party with Brett Michael's.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

And here its is, the most controversial car in the #laautoshow, the #Mustang #MachE. I think they did a good job with it, and if they're going to make a whole family of Mustangs, this is a very good start.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

The second most controversial car at the #LAAutoShow. #corvette #c8
      · 0 replies
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook