Drew Dowdell

Geneva 2019: Mazda Unveils the CX-30 Crossover: Comments

@oldshurst442 I agree that red has its place and for sure is hot on woman. But I stick with my own assessment that their are other colors that are just as sexy at auto shows than red, black, silver and white.

Chinese auto show

See the source image

Tokyo autoshow

See the source image

Seoul Autoshow

See the source image

• Upvote 1

Interesting...didn't realize PSA had the DS brand in Japan...surprised they chose Peugeot for the US instead of DS. 

• Upvote 1

Ford at Seoul

See the source image

Chevrolet at Seoul

See the source image

• Upvote 1

Wow remove or cut the cladding by 75% please... Other than that, it works.  Not sure how much cheaper they can price this than the CX5..

• Upvote 2

Interesting, looks like they are going w/ the non-conforming nomenclature for the US market..it's already up on the US Mazda website. 

They probably should have at least split the difference between the 3 and 5 and went with 4 but whatever.. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

They probably should have at least split the difference between the 3 and 5 and went with 4 but whatever.. 

Yeah, CX-4 would have made sense for the US....but they already have a different CX-4 in other markets, so they probably didn't want to use it here.  But having 3,30,5, and 9 makes no sense...

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I agree that red has its place and for sure is hot on woman. But I stick with my own assessment that their are other colors that are just as sexy at auto shows than red, black, silver and white.

Of course there are other colours...

As sexy as red though...

All those pics you posted...of the cars...

NONE are as sexy as a red car...

Red could even turn that sad blue Malibu into a hot car...

Image result for red malibu

Because blue...is better suited to sell paradise on earth...

Related image

But ironically, blue represents coldness, rather than hotness...as opposed to the colour red....

Therefore, you could turn BLUE in the face to try to convince yourself actually, red will always be the defacto colour to showcase a car a certain way...

PS: gold and silver are also fantastic colours to showcase a certain level of richness and sophistication for a car...both of those colours lack the fiery, fierceness, taboo, sexuality, evilness that the colour red symbolizes....

Black too...but black is also souless. It represents death...which is great for a certain type of car...A Dodge Demon...ironically the devil is known to wear red...but hence the RED eye Challenger...

Red is red my friend...

red Ferraris and red Lamborghinis...little red Corvettes...cue in Prince...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, CX-4 would have made sense for the US....but they already have a different CX-4 in other markets, so they probably didn't want to use it here.  But having 3,30,5, and 9 makes no sense...

Ahhh okay so that makes a little more sense then but I think I would have went with something different than a zero for the second digit. CX-35 or maybe CX-45..? 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ahhh okay so that makes a little more sense then but I think I would have went with something different than a zero for the second digit. CX-35 or maybe CX-45..? 

Or something out of left field like CX-3 2/3rds. 

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Or something out of left field like CX-3 2/3rds. 

CX-3.5  :)

Actually they probably should have called CX-3  as CX-2 since it is based on Mazda 2 and this would be perfect to be called CX-3 since it is based on Mazda 3

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ykX said:

CX-3.5  :)

Actually they probably should have called CX-3  as CX-2 since it is based on Mazda 2 and this would be perfect to be called CX-3 since it is based on Mazda 3

Yeah, that was a misstep on Mazda's part. 

24 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

up, noticed they CX30 is already stated on the USA Mazda site. Talk about a mess this is going to cause. 

It does make me wonder if the rest of the numbers during refresh will go dual digits. CX50, CX90 🤔

17 minutes ago, dfelt said:

up, noticed they CX30 is already stated on the USA Mazda site. Talk about a mess this is going to cause. 

It does make me wonder if the rest of the numbers during refresh will go dual digits. CX50, CX90 🤔

No, why would they do that?

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No, why would they do that?

We could all ask why the Hell Did Johan feel the need to go CT or XT on the cars.

Mazda could feel with all the others out there that are dual digit, maybe someone has the ear of Corporate Mazda in Japan and has them convinced going CX30, CX50, CX90 would move it like other luxury automakers with dual digit auto names.

After all multiple people have stated that Mazda wants to move into the Luxury segment away from the Honda / Toyota / Nissan and more seen as the Acura, Buick, Cadillac, BMW, etc.

Maybe this is the start of moving in that direction with a rename of the auto's.

Oy... MY THING IS... Mazda has had the same limited choice of colors for so many years now.  Same brown, same white, same red, same two bland blues...  Their colors are too conservative, and they will not dare to bring something new.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Oy... MY THING IS... Mazda has had the same limited choice of colors for so many years now.  Same brown, same white, same red, same two bland blues...  Their colors are too conservative, and they will not dare to bring something new.

Because orange, and burnt orange never sold well for Nissan in the early 2000s, teal and aqua is such a 1990s thing and therefore passé, and quite frankly, society today are that bland.  Silver and black and grey and white is what sells the most. Mazda and Dodge, because of their youthful and playful nature, reds and electric blues are offered and sold more than say Chevy and Ford and Toyota and Honda...

Honestly, if you look at GM's or Ford's or Honda's or Nissan's colour palate, is just as drab...

At least with Mazda, their red and blue is striking...

Subaru's blue is also striking. 

But who other's mainstream colour palate is eye catching? 

Dodge...but they sell 1960s/1970s style muscle cars just like they sold them then...

Im afraid, this has more to do with the bland society we live in rather than Mazda's choices for colours. Even if they gave us different shades and options, people of today would NOT buy them anyway... 

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Their CUV's Scream for a lovely Metallic Forest Green! :D 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Their CUV's Scream for a lovely Metallic Forest Green! :D 

Yeah...I could see a darkish green, emerald metallic paint job on Mazda cars and CUVs...

Like this Vette

Related image

But how many dullards would actually go for that colour other than the Miata?  Im willing to bet, not many.

• Upvote 1

2019 Forester has Forest Green Pearl Metallic

See the source image

2019 RAM Black Forest Green Pearl Coat

See the source image

2018 Metallic Forest Green Ford Bullit 50th Anniversary edition

See the source image

2019 Audi RS 5 Sportback Sonoma Green Metallic

See the source image

2018 VW Tiguan Dark Moss Green Metallic

See the source image

Not allot, but clearly some brands realize more than the basic Black, White, Silver, Red, Blue for colors.

Mazda needs to step out of their very conservative colors. Add a couple fun ones.

That green is a little dark in person on the Ram, but I would take it in a heartbeat.  With the lovely brown cloth interior.  It rocks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

That green is a little dark in person on the Ram, but I would take it in a heartbeat.  With the lovely brown cloth interior.  It rocks.

Yes, Mazda's bright blood red is boring but dark brown or green is not. Makes sense .....

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      It feels weird to be writing a review of the previous-generation Mazda3 when the new model is currently sitting out front at dealers. But I find this situation to be unique because I had the chance to explore a 2019 Mazda3 to get some first impressions while working on a review of the 2018 model. This gives me a chance to compare the two in certain aspects, along with pondering the question of whether or not the previous model is still a good buy.
      Despite the new model taking the styling up another level, the outgoing model is still a looker. From the bold front end with a large grille and slightly angled headlights, to sculpting running along the sides, the 2018 3 still stands out in the compact crowd. The older design also allows for slightly better rear headroom and a larger area of glass for improved visibility.  But the new 3 holds a significant edge over the old model when it comes to the interior. The modern design and use of high-quality materials really help boost Mazda’s ambitions of becoming something more premium. But the 2018 model I found to have a slightly easier center stack layout and more interior room. One item I didn’t get the chance to play within the 2019 Mazda3 is the infotainment system. Aside from boasting a larger screen, Mazda has also dropped the touchscreen functionality. The latter has been a big issue on some of the recent Mazda vehicles I have driven, including the 2018 3. It is difficult to figure out which parts of the screen are touch-enabled and which aren’t. The system is also beginning to show its age somewhat as the system showed some slowdown in certain areas such as connecting to my phone via Bluetooth. Under the hood of the 2018 model is either a 2.0L or 2.5L SkyActiv-G four-cylinder. My tester had the latter which produces 184 horsepower and 185 pound-feet. This engine can also be found under 2019 Mazda3, albeit slightly tweaked - 186 for both horsepower and torque. I find the Mazda3 to be the best application for the 2.5 engine. The lighter weight of the vehicle allows the 2.5 to provide a smooth and quick acceleration for most situations you find yourself in. However, the 2.5 feels like it is running out of breath when going above 70 mph, making passing and merging onto a highway slightly difficult. Where the 3 really shines is down a twisty road. Very few vehicles can match the sharp handling characteristics on offer. The suspension keeps the vehicle level when cornering and quickly respond to change in direction. Steering is quick and features a nice weight when turning. Ride quality is slightly rough with a fair number of bumps coming inside. Some of this can be attributed to the 18-inch wheels fitted on my tester.  Should you consider a 2018 Mazda3 when the bright and shiny 2019 3 is available now? I can only give a half-answer as I haven’t driven the 2019 model yet. But having sat in one, I can see why someone would consider it. The impressive design inside and out can make you believe you’re driving something from a luxury brand. The 2018 model still has some things going for it such as having slightly more interior space, similar fuel economy figures, and dealers beginning to lower prices on them to get them out. As I am writing this (May 5th), I have seen dealers in my local drop prices by $1,000 to $3,000 on 2018 models. Right now, I would be willing to pocket the extra cash and go with a 2018 Mazda3. Disclaimer: Mazda Provided the 3, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Mazda
      Model: 3
      Trim: Grand Touring
      Engine: 2.5L SKYACTIV-G DOHC Four-Cylinder
      Driveline:  Six-Speed Automatic, Front-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 184 @ 5,700
      Torque @ RPM: 185 @ 3,250 
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/35/30
      Curb Weight: 3,098 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Salamanca, Mexico
      Base Price: $24,945
      As Tested Price: $28,035 (Includes $890.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Equipment Package - $1,600.00
      Soul Red Metallic Paint - $300.00
      Scuff Plates/Door Sill Trim Plate - $125.00
      Rear Bumper Guard - $100.00
      Cargo Mat - $75.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It feels weird to be writing a review of the previous-generation Mazda3 when the new model is currently sitting out front at dealers. But I find this situation to be unique because I had the chance to explore a 2019 Mazda3 to get some first impressions while working on a review of the 2018 model. This gives me a chance to compare the two in certain aspects, along with pondering the question of whether or not the previous model is still a good buy.
      Despite the new model taking the styling up another level, the outgoing model is still a looker. From the bold front end with a large grille and slightly angled headlights, to sculpting running along the sides, the 2018 3 still stands out in the compact crowd. The older design also allows for slightly better rear headroom and a larger area of glass for improved visibility.  But the new 3 holds a significant edge over the old model when it comes to the interior. The modern design and use of high-quality materials really help boost Mazda’s ambitions of becoming something more premium. But the 2018 model I found to have a slightly easier center stack layout and more interior room. One item I didn’t get the chance to play within the 2019 Mazda3 is the infotainment system. Aside from boasting a larger screen, Mazda has also dropped the touchscreen functionality. The latter has been a big issue on some of the recent Mazda vehicles I have driven, including the 2018 3. It is difficult to figure out which parts of the screen are touch-enabled and which aren’t. The system is also beginning to show its age somewhat as the system showed some slowdown in certain areas such as connecting to my phone via Bluetooth. Under the hood of the 2018 model is either a 2.0L or 2.5L SkyActiv-G four-cylinder. My tester had the latter which produces 184 horsepower and 185 pound-feet. This engine can also be found under 2019 Mazda3, albeit slightly tweaked - 186 for both horsepower and torque. I find the Mazda3 to be the best application for the 2.5 engine. The lighter weight of the vehicle allows the 2.5 to provide a smooth and quick acceleration for most situations you find yourself in. However, the 2.5 feels like it is running out of breath when going above 70 mph, making passing and merging onto a highway slightly difficult. Where the 3 really shines is down a twisty road. Very few vehicles can match the sharp handling characteristics on offer. The suspension keeps the vehicle level when cornering and quickly respond to change in direction. Steering is quick and features a nice weight when turning. Ride quality is slightly rough with a fair number of bumps coming inside. Some of this can be attributed to the 18-inch wheels fitted on my tester.  Should you consider a 2018 Mazda3 when the bright and shiny 2019 3 is available now? I can only give a half-answer as I haven’t driven the 2019 model yet. But having sat in one, I can see why someone would consider it. The impressive design inside and out can make you believe you’re driving something from a luxury brand. The 2018 model still has some things going for it such as having slightly more interior space, similar fuel economy figures, and dealers beginning to lower prices on them to get them out. As I am writing this (May 5th), I have seen dealers in my local drop prices by $1,000 to $3,000 on 2018 models. Right now, I would be willing to pocket the extra cash and go with a 2018 Mazda3. Disclaimer: Mazda Provided the 3, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Mazda
      Model: 3
      Trim: Grand Touring
      Engine: 2.5L SKYACTIV-G DOHC Four-Cylinder
      Driveline:  Six-Speed Automatic, Front-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 184 @ 5,700
      Torque @ RPM: 185 @ 3,250 
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/35/30
      Curb Weight: 3,098 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Salamanca, Mexico
      Base Price: $24,945
      As Tested Price: $28,035 (Includes $890.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Equipment Package - $1,600.00
      Soul Red Metallic Paint - $300.00
      Scuff Plates/Door Sill Trim Plate - $125.00
      Rear Bumper Guard - $100.00
      Cargo Mat - $75.00
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Buick is reportedly working on a crossover coupe to add to its lineup in the US.  This vehicle would be in addition to, rather than replace, any vehicles in the current lineup. 
      Most of Buick's recent lineup has been a rebadge of some other brand's designs, this new vehicle would be a departure from that with Buick leading the design process from the start. CarDesignNews was shown some sketches and models of future Buicks and what they saw would "turn everything you think about Buick on its ear".  It is a bold design that will shock people both inside and outside the industry.  The designs would feel familiar without using specific cues. 
      Buick also took the time to insist that Buick would not become a China-only brand even though 4 out of every 5 Buicks are sold there. The bulk of the design work takes place in Warren, Michigan, while smaller design teams work in Shanghai, Melbourne, and near Seoul. 
      As far as the name, Buick has trademarked Enspire for the U.S., so that has a strong possibility of coming to fruition. No timeline is set for the release of the new crossover, but the overhaul of the Buick look is well underway.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Buick is reportedly working on a crossover coupe to add to its lineup in the US.  This vehicle would be in addition to, rather than replace, any vehicles in the current lineup. 
      Most of Buick's recent lineup has been a rebadge of some other brand's designs, this new vehicle would be a departure from that with Buick leading the design process from the start. CarDesignNews was shown some sketches and models of future Buicks and what they saw would "turn everything you think about Buick on its ear".  It is a bold design that will shock people both inside and outside the industry.  The designs would feel familiar without using specific cues. 
      Buick also took the time to insist that Buick would not become a China-only brand even though 4 out of every 5 Buicks are sold there. The bulk of the design work takes place in Warren, Michigan, while smaller design teams work in Shanghai, Melbourne, and near Seoul. 
      As far as the name, Buick has trademarked Enspire for the U.S., so that has a strong possibility of coming to fruition. No timeline is set for the release of the new crossover, but the overhaul of the Buick look is well underway.

• By Drew Dowdell
      MAZDA REPORTS APRIL SALES RESULTS
      May 1, 2019
      IRVINE, Calif. (May 1, 2019) – Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported total April sales of 19,702 vehicles, a decrease of 14.5 percent compared to April 2018. Year-to-date sales through April saw a decrease of 15.4 percent, with 90,535 vehicles sold. With 25 selling days in April, compared to 24 the year prior, the company posted a decrease of 18 percent on a Daily Selling Rate (DSR) basis.
      CPO sales totaled 5,195 vehicles in April, an increase of 27 percent compared to April 2018. Year-to-date CPO sales through April increased 20 percent, with 19,052 vehicles sold.
      Mazda Motor de Mexico (MMdM) reported its best ever April with monthly sales of 4,295 vehicles, an increase of 2 percent compared to April last year. Year-to-date sales through April increased 18 percent, with 20,484 vehicles sold.

• My Clubs

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook