Drew Dowdell

Seven Wonders of the Automotive world

Ford Model T - because it brought the car to the masses (and more importantly advent of the assembly line)

1955 Mercedes SL - the first super car

Tesla Model S - for making electric cars cool and the "gotta have" thing.

Volkswagen Beetle (first gen) - much for doing to Europe what the Model T did in the USA

Ferrari F40 - I feel like it is the best Ferrari ever and an icon of the 80s

1966 Ford Mustang - first pony car, they sold like crazy when they launched

Benz Patent Motor Wagen - it was genesis, thus historically significant

Honorable Mentions:  

1991 Ford Explorer for starting the SUV craze, but I already have 2 Fords on the list.

1990 Lexus LS - the launch of the Japanese luxury brands

My argument against the Willy's Jeep is it was more of an Army vehicle, not a commercial product sold to eat general public, which is why Willy's is gone and Jeep Wranglers are here now.  

I think the Citroen DS was revolutionary and the Tucker Torpedo was also, but not a mass produced car.   The Lamborghini Countach is a good mention, I think that the most significant Lamborghini.  The Jaguar E-type was a pretty car, but not super valuable now and it didn't really change anything, Aston Martin, Mercedes, Ferrari, Porsche all had cars like it. 

1984 Chrysler Minivans you could through in there, that started a whole segment, even if 30 years later the segment was kind of dying.

The G-wagen wasn't one of the 7 wonders, it was a utility vehicle.  

The SUV most deserving of the list is probably the 1991 Ford Explorer which really spearheaded the suburbanite family shift away from sedans to SUVs

16 hours ago, balthazar said:

How does a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or whatever copy have ANY relevance on being 'the first'?
The qualifier used most commonly is "invented".

It don't fly.

Lookit me; I'm disputin'. :D

First with no influence means nothing. There may have been firsts even before those you claimed, they were just obscured by history. 

Posted (edited)

Then they should brand it the 'first influential', not 'we invented". 'Invented' means there was no example prior to.
The Seldon had worldwide publicity, it certainly had influence. The Hill, not so much/at all.

Irrelevant WRT being the 'first/invented'. 'Had influence' -an impossible to measure qualifier- just says 'not invented here'. 'First with no influence' still means first.

Edited by balthazar

Yup, they've all been named here already.  Model T, Beetle, Jeep are the three biggies.  One could also argue for the Cugnot steam powered vehicle of the late 1700's.  The Cugnot seems to be where electrics are now in 2019, in terms of development and market readiness.

546b42452f747_-_cugnot-lg.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Model T, Beetle, Jeep are the three biggies.

I would agree with those, and add the 1912 Cadillac, which introduced electric lights / starter.

• Upvote 2

On 3/8/2019 at 7:17 PM, smk4565 said:

Or a 1997 Merceds ML.  The real first of the luxury SUVs, other than the Range Rover, or G-wagen.   Although I think none of those are in the top 7, I will compile a list tonight.

He did mention full-size though. ML is a luxury SUV but it isn't full-size. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

He did mention full-size though. ML is a luxury SUV but it isn't full-size. 

Why does every thread involve a fight with a Mercedes-Benz?

1997 Mercedes ML was preceded by

1996 Infiniti QX4
1996 Lexus LX
1995 Acura SLX
1991 Oldsmobile Bravada (first generation)
1996 Oldsmobile Bravada (second generation)
1994 Land Rover Range Rover
1996 Mercury Mountaineer (equivalent to a Ford Explorer Limited or Eddie Bauer in its first iteration)

And if not the '63 Grand Wagoneer, at least the Grand Wagoneer of 1984. These were priced around the same as an Eldorado or Mark series at the time. Definitely luxury vehicles. 

Mercedes was not even close to "first". 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Why does every thread involve a fight with a Mercedes-Benz?

1997 Mercedes ML was preceded by

1996 Infiniti QX4
1996 Lexus LX
1995 Acura SLX
1991 Oldsmobile Bravada (first generation)
1996 Oldsmobile Bravada (second generation)
1994 Land Rover Range Rover
1996 Mercury Mountaineer (equivalent to a Ford Explorer Limited or Eddie Bauer in its first iteration)

And if not the '63 Grand Wagoneer, at least the Grand Wagoneer of 1984. These were priced around the same as an Eldorado or Mark series at the time. Definitely luxury vehicles. 

Mercedes was not even close to "first". 

I would agree. I was just stating that while he thought the ML fit what was being discussed didn't really fit his description of "full-size". 

I think what @balthazar said as "first influential" would be a better describer than "first ever" for a lot of things. I still do not think the ML fits that, fwiw. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I would agree. I was just stating that while he thought the ML fit what was being discussed didn't really fit his description of "full-size". 

I think what @balthazar said as "first influential" would be a better describer than "first ever" for a lot of things. I still do not think the ML fits that, fwiw. 

First Influential I would probably give to the Lexus RX. 

• Upvote 1