Drew Dowdell

Jeep News: New 3-Row Jeep to Get New Name

Posted (edited)

3 row SUVs are the station wagons/minivans of today..as long as there are families in the US, there are going to be family wagons of some form. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

3 row SUVs are the station wagons/minivans of today..as long as there are families in the US, there are going to be family wagons of some form. 

I'll take a Roadmaster Estate please... 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

I'll take a Roadmaster Estate please... 

They should offer an Estate trim on the Enclave w/ faux wood side paneling, extra chrome, whitewall tires, hood ornament, etc. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

They should offer an Estate trim on the Enclave w/ faux wood side paneling, extra chrome, whitewall tires, hood ornament, etc. 

shut up and take my money GIF

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

That 5 year plan shows 1 3-row F segment and 1 3-row E segment.  So if there is a 3rd it has to be D segment 3 row, a la a 3 row front drive Cherokee.

Which is all fine I just wonder how they manage all these Jeeps without overlap, they want a vehicle below Renegade , you are looking at potentially 10 Jeep SUVs.  How sustainable is that?

Edited by smk4565

2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

That 5 year plan shows 1 3-row F segment and 1 3-row E segment.  So if there is a 3rd it has to be D segment 3 row, a la a 3 row front drive Cherokee.

That plan also includes China... and China already gets a 3-row Cherokee called the Grand Commander. 

Again, the Wagoneer is the SWB full-size. The Grand Wagoneer is the LWB full-size. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That plan also includes China... and China already gets a 3-row Cherokee called the Grand Commander. 

Again, the Wagoneer is the SWB full-size. The Grand Wagoneer is the LWB full-size. 

Seems redundant and to do it as a new entrant into a shrinking segment to boot.

Just now, smk4565 said:

Seems redundant and to do it as a new entrant into a shrinking segment to boot.

It's a highly profitable segment, especially when they can build it on the truck frame.  Most of the Dev work there is done.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Which is all fine I just wonder how they manage all these Jeeps without overlap, they want a vehicle below Renegade , you are looking at potentially 10 Jeep SUVs.  How sustainable is that?

Reading comprehension counts.  Note it says F segment Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer.  2 models.  The D-segment 3 row is a 4th model.  Cars are a dying niche in NA...SUVs and trucks are the growth niches. No different than what Ford or GM are doing.  And there always will be some overlap between the lines, like they have with the Compass and Cherokee now. 

And of course because of your biases, you conveniently overlook how many CUVs and SUVs Audi, BMW and M-B each have now and will have in 5 years...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the update on the last Commander.  I still think the name Commander belongs on this NEW Jeep 3-row CUV.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Thanks for the update on the last Commander.  I still think the name Commander belongs on this NEW Jeep 3-row CUV.

It would certainly work. I think Liberty could work also. 

The wrench in the gears is the Chinese Grand Commander which is smaller than what this GC based 3-row will be. They'd have to be okay with having the names mixed up as they cross the Pacific. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It would certainly work. I think Liberty could work also. 

The wrench in the gears is the Chinese Grand Commander which is smaller than what this GC based 3-row will be. They'd have to be okay with having the names mixed up as they cross the Pacific. 

Well, different names in different markets is nothing new for Jeep...the Liberty was called the Cherokee outside NA.    

Looking back at the slide, I see yet another 3-row...'Low D 3-row' between the next gen Cherokee and Grand Commander...wonder what that will be..another model for China?  Maybe 'low' as in a more wagon-like silhouette?  Not sure if the US needs a 3 row compact...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

Looking at that chart reminds me of that baby Jeep.....still not sure how that is going to work.....

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Looking at that chart reminds me of that baby Jeep.....still not sure how that is going to work.....

I think that was intended for Europe and Asia...something Fiat Panda sized. 

Edited by Robert Hall

How can the new Jeep play in the same segment when the additional row will add at least ten inches to the length.

4 minutes ago, jry said:

How can the new Jeep play in the same segment when the additional row will add at least ten inches to the length.

Because there is some overlap in the segment.  A lot of people who buy Explorers never need the 3rd row, so a GC would be just fine.  However, Jeep customers who want a 3-row have no place to go.  Technically, different segments, but with so much overlap they are often counted as one.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Because there is some overlap in the segment.  A lot of people who buy Explorers never need the 3rd row, so a GC would be just fine.  However, Jeep customers who want a 3-row have no place to go.  Technically, different segments, but with so much overlap they are often counted as one.

I understand what you're saying. I think that FCA would be wise to place this in the next segment up. Think about taking the Cadillac CT6 and placing it with the BMW 5 or E Class, Benz. Dimensionally, it belongs in the next segment up. In that arena, the CT6 shows up as a good value. FCA should be doing the same thing. I'm sure that this will not be as big as the Expedition or Large Yukon/Tahoe, but it sure isn't going to be as short as the current Grand Cherokee . Maybe it'll be the size of the new offerings by Hyundai and Kia, which as an Expedition EL owner, IMO are too small. We'll see.....

4 minutes ago, jry said:

I understand what you're saying. I think that FCA would be wise to place this in the next segment up. Think about taking the Cadillac CT6 and placing it with the BMW 5 or E Class, Benz. Dimensionally, it belongs in the next segment up. In that arena, the CT6 shows up as a good value. FCA should be doing the same thing. I'm sure that this will not be as big as the Expedition or Large Yukon/Tahoe, but it sure isn't going to be as short as the current Grand Cherokee . Maybe it'll be the size of the new offerings by Hyundai and Kia, which as an Expedition EL owner, IMO are too small. We'll see.....

It will be the size of the Durango most likely. 

13 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I think that was intended for Europe and Asia...something Fiat Panda sized. 

Hope so...it is going to be tiny!

11 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Hope so...it is going to be tiny!

To put the size in perspective..the current Fiat Panda Cross is a 4dr CUV about the same length as a 1980s Jeep CJ-7.  So it's Jeep sized.. ;)

Just now, Robert Hall said:

To put the size in perspective..the current Fiat Panda Cross is a 4dr CUV about the same length as a 1980s Jeep CJ-7.  So it's Jeep sized.. ;)

Actually not bad then....

Just now, daves87rs said:

Actually not bad then....

No, not bad...but today's Renegade and 2dr Wrangler are about 20 inches longer..