Drew Dowdell

Ford News: Ford Boosting Expedition and Navigator Production

Prices go up, prices go down. I vaguely remember a stronger than seasonal gas hike sometime back in 2008 or 2009.  But I really never pay attention..it is what it is..I usually always get gas at the same station.. my old Jeep never saw 20 mpg, my newer one often gets over 20 mpg, so I'm happy..

Gas cost is what it is, can you put a price on quality of life? No micro car, sub compact, etc. is worth the price compared to comfort in an auto.

• Upvote 1

@balthazar

That is some impressive (and quality) work!

That kind of quality workmanship in posting, if used right, could land you in the interwebs trolling hall of fame one day. If you chose to use your powers in that way.  

if you chose to turn to the dark side that is...

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

Image result for what do you see the last jedi gif

BALTHY!

Related image

Related image

We must only use that kind of powers for the good of the internets! 

Image result for rey lifting boulders gif

Image result for rey lifting boulders gif

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I tried to get it to read '9 years ago', etc, but it didn't take.

The last mega price spike in oil prices was in 2008.  Oil prices spiked to $149 a barrel in early July.  Gas prices resulted at north of $4 a gallon ($5 in California!).

^ Yes, but it was below average $/barrel by December, IIRC. A disconnected, speculative, futures frenzy not based on market conditions.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Yes, but it was below average $/barrel by December, IIRC. A disconnected, speculative, futures frenzy not based on market conditions.

True.  It was pushed by Goldman Sachs to save themselves from the financial crisis back then.  Of course it was not based on market conditions.  And yes, it did take a few months to fully correct (i.e. fall).  But if you had to refuel between June 1 and August 1 your wallet was beat up.

I leave for a few minutes  I tell you.... 😉 

Yeah, it does get old....and played over and over...

And joking aside, I get that feeling that we are really going to piss off the Middle East again (because DA can’t keep his mouth shut), prompting OPEC to up oil prices because they can. 

Now normally a jump in prices shouldn’t be a big deal, as stuff gets way better MPGS now. But, add Wall Street adding the hype (with dollar signs in their eyes) to push prices to much stupid levels...

Sad part I’m more worried about WS then I am OPEC.....

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

economy going nicely, cheap gas, and yes, huge SUV sales booming.  Reminds me of like the late 90's / early 00's all over again.  Back when the Expedition was all over the place.

Great indicator we'll hit a slowdown, not sure how soon.

Then folks will overreact and want to go buy Focus' again

Edited by regfootball
  • Sad 1

Goes to show that when interference is low, people will spend money on what they want.  This is how it should be.

9 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I leave for a few minutes  I tell you.... 😉 

Yeah, it does get old....and played over and over...

And joking aside, I get that feeling that we are really going to piss off the Middle East again (because DA can’t keep his mouth shut), prompting OPEC to up oil prices because they can. 

Now normally a jump in prices shouldn’t be a big deal, as stuff gets way better MPGS now. But, add Wall Street adding the hype (with dollar signs in their eyes) to push prices to much stupid levels...

Sad part I’m more worried about WS then I am OPEC.....

Agree, worse thing they ever did was allow speculation on oil.

33 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Goes to show that when interference is low, people will spend money on what they want.  This is how it should be.

Bob lutz always said US car buyers will always buy as big as they can afford. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Bob lutz always said US car buyers will always buy as big as they can afford. 

Sure; they do it with houses, TVs, phones, and dozens of other consumer goods, etc- why not vehicles?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

Sure; they do it with houses, TVs, phones, and dozens of other consumer goods, etc- why not vehicles?

Oh. I have no problems with that at all. It’s just that if the environmental whacks are trying to push people into crackerboxes that it goes against the idea of people seeking to get what they want. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 91 Guests (See full list)

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Over the weekend, Tesla CEO Elon Musk commented on Model Y production.  Originally thought to be slated for production at Tesla's Gigafactory in Nevada, Tesla appears to have changed course. 
      Reported by Bloomberg, Musk said "Right now our default plan is to produce the Y at Fremont." during an interview on the "Ride the Lightning" podcast. "I was skeptical about whether this made sense at first, but my team convinced me the fastest way to get volume production is to do the Y at Fremont."
      In order to free up space in the factory, Tesla plans to move Model S and Model X to a single line, according to current and former employees. Both models have seen sales tumble over the last 6 months as Model 3 sales increased.
      Model Y sits on the same platform as the Model 3 and production is set to start in late 2020. 
      In the same podcast, Tesla made some claims about the upcoming Tesla truck.  He said "It won't look like a normal truck. It's going to be pretty sci-fi" adding "It's going to be a truck that is more capable than other trucks. It will be a better truck than an equivalent F-150 in terms of truck-like functionality. That's the aspiration."  

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Over the weekend, Tesla CEO Elon Musk commented on Model Y production.  Originally thought to be slated for production at Tesla's Gigafactory in Nevada, Tesla appears to have changed course. 
      Reported by Bloomberg, Musk said "Right now our default plan is to produce the Y at Fremont." during an interview on the "Ride the Lightning" podcast. "I was skeptical about whether this made sense at first, but my team convinced me the fastest way to get volume production is to do the Y at Fremont."
      In order to free up space in the factory, Tesla plans to move Model S and Model X to a single line, according to current and former employees. Both models have seen sales tumble over the last 6 months as Model 3 sales increased.
      Model Y sits on the same platform as the Model 3 and production is set to start in late 2020. 
      In the same podcast, Tesla made some claims about the upcoming Tesla truck.  He said "It won't look like a normal truck. It's going to be pretty sci-fi" adding "It's going to be a truck that is more capable than other trucks. It will be a better truck than an equivalent F-150 in terms of truck-like functionality. That's the aspiration."  
    • By dfelt
      20190505_110414-mp4.mp4
      Mother’s Day weekend was a busy one. The kids had planned out the whole Sunday for the wife and I had planned the day before to build an area with a raised garden bed for the wife. The raised bed material was bought, the area mapped out and the plan to get up early and rent a truck to pick up cedar chips and black gold compost soil was scheduled.
      Saturday morning went as I expected, up early, quick breakfast and off to be the first in line at the U-Haul rental place. Figured rather than $75 per delivery, two types of material meant $150, why not spend $19.95 for a single day rental of the truck, pick up the material myself and pocket $130 or so.
      U-Haul actually has it to mileage and other fees that made the single days truck rental $55 and change, so not as big as I expected but still roughly a $95 savings.

Surprise was that the truck I got was a new 2019 F150 with V8 that only had 300 miles on the odometer. Having not been in a new Ford pickup in the last couple years, I was excited to see how it drove, what the fit n finish was like and over all materials.
      U-Haul trucks are your base trucks with rubberized floors, dash is all hard plastics yet they still had backup camera and the V8 engine. As such the truck had no problem even loaded down with dirt or the cedar chips moving. Over all ride was decent and I actually really loved the seats as they were very supportive to my large size and yet comfy driving from freeway to local roads, never tiring to the body. Radio was a basic am/fm with a base pair of stereo speakers. Decent and functional.

Dash being a base truck was hard plastic, as we have seen in many videos about even top of the line Luxury auto’s, the dash did make a big amount of squeak noise. Screen size of the radio system was also very small. Yet as many folks have used the term, the truck was functional.

Fit n Finish was very tight, did not find any large panel gapes or errors in the paint job or exterior body.  I did find the very simple tie down points with already rusting bolts to be a bit surprising but it still worked and the truck had a bed so I did not have to worry about messing the truck bed up. Interesting observation is that when the truck is locked, so is the tailgate, so with a load, I had to always keep the truck unlocked so the tailgate would open and let me unload my chips and soil.
      The V8 engine was very smooth and quiet and the only drawback was the weird auto stop / start. If you’re in normal traffic it works just as GMs systems have worked with turning off and on the engine. Yet sit in one place too long and then release the brake pedal and you get a message on the center dash screen saying you have been stationary too long and must put the transmission in park and then back to drive before engine will start back up. Even with following their directions, it seemed the engine did not want to start back up forcing me to put it into park and then manually starting the truck again.

Other than that single issue, the truck worked and the backup camera was nice to have to get as close as possible to the wife’s new raised veggie garden.

Hit me up with any questions you have about the truck or my project. Yes I did take out the grass the weekend before so my cedar chips are 3-4 inches deep.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford said that it would be cutting a shift from its Essex Engine Plant in Ontario starting in October.  Ford says the move will "better align with consumer demand".  The likely cause? Ford F-150 buyers are shifting more of their purchases away from the 5.0 liter V8.
      F-150 buyers have a choice of 5 engines when selecting a truck, the 2.7-liter Ecoboost, the 3.3-liter V6, the 3.5-liter Ecoboost, and now a 3.0-liter PowerStroke Diesel, all in addition to the 5.0-liter V8, and the customer mix appears to be skewing towards the smaller displacement engines.
      The cut in shifts will not result in job cuts as those workers will be transitioned to another engine plant to build the 7.3-liter engine due to be installed in the 2020 Ford Super Duties. That transition will happen in November of this year. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford said that it would be cutting a shift from its Essex Engine Plant in Ontario starting in October.  Ford says the move will "better align with consumer demand".  The likely cause? Ford F-150 buyers are shifting more of their purchases away from the 5.0 liter V8.
      F-150 buyers have a choice of 5 engines when selecting a truck, the 2.7-liter Ecoboost, the 3.3-liter V6, the 3.5-liter Ecoboost, and now a 3.0-liter PowerStroke Diesel, all in addition to the 5.0-liter V8, and the customer mix appears to be skewing towards the smaller displacement engines.
      The cut in shifts will not result in job cuts as those workers will be transitioned to another engine plant to build the 7.3-liter engine due to be installed in the 2020 Ford Super Duties. That transition will happen in November of this year. 
  • My Clubs

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook