What Are You Watching?

About the only series I've watched lately is the British art show 'Fake or Fortune?'--where art experts evaluate paintings to see if they are real or forged....

Otherwise, been watching a lot of documentaries lately--mostly art and music docs...several Beatles and Rolling Stones documentaries, a couple Bob Dylan ones, Martin Scorsese's George Harrison documentary, Scorsese's 'The Last Waltz' concert film, making of album documentaries on Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' and 'The Wall', a Pearl Jam documentary from a few years ago...

• Like 1

This guy has a very interesting channel; interviews a lot of... let's say the downtrodden. This video tho, is both sad and fascinating. I sometimes get drawn to these stories- the extremes of the Human Experience.

I'm a pretty good internet detective, so not only was I quickly able to pinpoint their home via the background in the video, but I found that there were 15 children. Betty the talker, Ray & Lorraine are 3, & the guy in the green shirt reading the paper is another brother. But this isn't inbreeding- I think it's genetics/birth defects (I did their family tree back 3 generations).

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Alisa Frost said:

Now I'm watching on recipes for my dinner and can't make a decision what I want. Actually, I stopped on Chicken Noodle Soup - https://recipes.cafe/en/Chicken-Noodle-Soup-Recipe .

Maybe somebody wants to help me? :D

Welcome to Cheers and Gears Alisa!

Home Made Chicken Noodle Soup is the Bomb! :)

I start with roasting some chickens and then debone them and use the rest of the chicken to make natural broth. Add in all the veggies and simmer for hours. Best base you can have to build a yummy Chicken Noodle Soup.

Good luck. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

The Mandalorian 

A not too shabby series Id say. Kept my son and I occupied for a few minutes and quenched our thirst for Star Wars.  

Battlebots is next. 

Found out that a new season has begun...maybe? At least I think its a new season and not a rerun.   I recorded it on Sunday and we will watch it sometime between tomorrow and XMAS eve.  

• Agree 1

On 12/22/2020 at 9:17 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Ill be watching the movie Memphis Belle soon.  

@A Horse With No Name  inspired me to do so.  I got the DVD. Bought it a loooooong time ago. Saw the movie at the movie theatre a looooong time ago when it first came out.  

Amazing what the greatest generation did. 

On 12/19/2020 at 2:20 AM, balthazar said:

This guy has a very interesting channel; interviews a lot of... let's say the downtrodden. This video tho, is both sad and fascinating. I sometimes get drawn to these stories- the extremes of the Human Experience.

I'm a pretty good internet detective, so not only was I quickly able to pinpoint their home via the background in the video, but I found that there were 15 children. Betty the talker, Ray & Lorraine are 3, & the guy in the green shirt reading the paper is another brother. But this isn't inbreeding- I think it's genetics/birth defects (I did their family tree back 3 generations).

Looks good, actually. 

• Agree 1

Watched a few Christmas movies over the last few days...'DIe Hard', 'Christmas Vacation', 'Fred Claus', 'Bad Santa' and 'Bad Santa II'.      Found a cold, snowy Norwegian crime drama to stream today--'Wisting'..pretty good. 

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Most recent shows watched are were an HBO documentary 'Murder on Middle Beach'...interesting story of a young man that made a documentary about his mother who was murdered (unsolved) about 10 years ago, she was involved in a ponzi scheme, had just gone through a messy divorce..

Another show was HBO's 'The Undoing'--pretty good drama w/ Hugh Grant, Nicole Kidman and Donald Sutherland...

Currently on season 2 of 'Bloodline', a drama from a few years ago about a family in the Florida Keys with a lot of dark past secrets w/ Kyle Chandler, Sam Shepherd and Sissy Spacek..a bit soapy at times...but I like it for the authentic locations--was actually filmed in the Upper Keys in and around Islamorada w/ some trips to Miami and the surrounding area..fun because I recognize locales from when I lived down there..interesting place. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting list of the 100 sexiest Movies of all time. I agree with some, disagree with others and agree that European movies have way more sex than the conservative American made movies.

100 Sexiest Movies Of All Time << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

• 1 month later...

One of the auto fix up YouTube channels I like is Watch JRGo, he's recently done repairs on a barn-find Aztek, an GMC XUV (had to replace the sliding roof), among other vehicles..his latest acquisition is this neat 1977 Mack firetruck.  Fun stuff...

• 3 weeks later...

Been streaming 'City on a Hill' this week, a solid crime drama set in the early 90s in Boston w/ Kevin Bacon.  Bacon is very good as a slimy veteran FBI agent.  Almost through the first season, the 2nd season is currently streaming on Showtime. 

Also recently watched a solid 4-part documentary about the unsolved 1990 Gardner Museum art theft, 'This is a Theft' on Netflix. 

• Agree 1

Just watched 'Lethal Weapon 2', haven't seen it in ages---more Oldsmobiles, and the great scene w/ Mel Gibson in a GMC 3500 extended cab dually pulling down a stilt house...

riggs-gmc-sierra-3500.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

Watched 'Lethal Weapon 3' tonight, hadn't seen it ages..not as good as the first two, too much Joe Pesci (who drove a red Allante in it).   Couple good chase scenes, and there was a blue '69 Coronet w/ a six pack hood, a red '69 Chevelle, red '91-92 Mustang GT convertible, various Porsches and M-Bs...best scene as far as cars was a scene in a garage with a tubbed '56 Chevy and a wild chop top Chevy Nomad with a blown engine sticking out the rear window...googling turned up pics of it, apparently it was this car:

flashback.jpg

9273842248_1ee4d5e000_b.jpg

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...

Ive been on a Conan binge lately.

Norm MacDonald, Bill Burr appearances and the like.    I came across the Jordan Schlansky videos as well, and this one reminded me of @trinacriabob 

VIVA ITALIA!!!

ESPECIALLY WITH THE EUROCUP VICTORY OVER ENGLAND YESTERSDAY!!!  

(not that I watch soccer...Im just proud that Greece's cousins won!!!) 

• Agree 2

• 4 months later...

Watched Peter Jackson's excellent Beatles documentary 'Get Back' last weekend.   Also watched the recent 'Nobody' (John Wick style thriller w/ Bob Odenkirk and RZA as brothers!), 'From a Vine' (recent light comedy/drama w/ Joe Pantoliano as a burnt out Canadian auto exec that moves to rural Italy to restore his grandfather's winery), and a couple good '80s British cold war dramas w/ Michael Caine  ("Fourth Protocol" w/ Pierce Brosnan also) and 'The Whistle Blower'. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
21 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Like the Looks of the Lucid over the others, but being cars, I really could care less.

Let me know when they do this with the EV trucks and SUVs.

• Haha 1

I dunno anymore.  About ICE and BE.  Although I have always loved the E39 M5, its a modern day classic. Its the equivalent of a '70 Olds 442 or Buick GS Stage 1.   Or a Hemi powered '55 Chrysler 300. 

But, the Tesla Model S also represents this.  And a decade later, its still the EV benchmark. Just like how the E39 M5 is STILL the sports sedan benchmark.  

Question one has for a Model S is: does the Model S continue that flame.  One could easily dismissed it as its got a 'soulless'  electric motor.   In my opinion, its not that easy to dismiss the motive power and software in the Tesla.  For a decade, many many internal combustion behemoths tried to out perform it and all have failed.  Even the latest EVs from other companies have tried to outperform it, and all have failed.  

OK, you said that modern appliances ARE faster, but not elicit the joy one gets with a 'classic'.

OK, then why is it Im giggling like a school girl watching the video about yet another drag  race involving the Model S, 10 years of this and the Model S hasnt changed all that much but Im still giggling in anticipation and KNOWINGLY ASSUMINGLY that the Model S  will win again...

And then when I FINALLY see the result, I jumped out of my seat GLEEFULLY laughing and yelling OH YEAH!!! like the Montreal Expos have won the World Series.  Problem is, the Montreal Expos have NEVER won a World Series, probably never will because they dont even exist anymore but with the Tesla Model S, its like a yearly, monthly,  daily thing.  Its a fact of life that the Model S is a straight line performance GOAT. 

Its not as if the Model S is good in only one thing.  It wasnt designed to go around a track and yet, from the factory, a couple of modifications and its a track star too. It aint a superstar, but its quite good.  Heft is a problem for tracking though and its the one thing that an ICE oriented vehicle will always be more fun to drive around a track than a BE.  But, later versions of the M5, and they too suffer from heft and lack the finesse the E39 had around the twisties...  The latest M5 CS corrects this though.   

Which leads me to the styling.

Whether we are talking about BMW E39 M5s, Tesla Model S' or the latest F90 M5 CS, they all kinda look the same...

The E39 actually looks like a bigger E36 3 Series.  

HD wallpaper: car, BMW, BMW M5, blue, blue cars, side view, vehicle, E39 |  Wallpaper Flare

Verify / Decode BMW E36 M3 VIN Number - BIMMERtips.com

The F90 looks like a more used up bar of soap E39. 

BMW F90 M5 Review, best M car Ever! - M5POST - BMW M5 Forum - F90

And the Model S is stylized in the middle of this modern look since the Ford Taurus to front stage back in '86. 

EPA confirms 21" Arachnid wheels look great but are range killers on the  Model S Plaid - Drive Tesla

In all 3 cases, nothing to write home about if we are really really honest about this whole thing about souls and excitement. 

Call me crazy though, and as much as I love the E39 M5 

E39 - FS 2002 BMW M5 Le Mans Blue/ Caramel rare | BimmerFest BMW Forum

and the F90 M5 CS, because I am actually very VERY fond of it, like really. Im not shytting you

DT: 2022 BMW F90 M5 CS | PCARMARKET

The Model S might just be my favorite out of all 3 of them, even though I think the styling of the Model S is in 2022 outdated, I think its become a classic and its still rolling on our roads and we could buy it new new. Customize it how every we want from the factory.  

2022 Tesla Model S: Choosing the Right Trim - Autotrader

Just now, David said:

Let me know when they do this with the EV trucks and SUVs.

No I wont tell you. As I really cant stand trucks and SUVs. ESPECIALLY EV ones...

Nick Grueser GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Just joking.  Here goes

And 2 for the price of 1 

Good deal I must say so myself! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...