NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Car Collectors Scooping up 1970s-Era Classics

It's because the guys who came of age in the 50s are dying off.  The guys who came of age in the 70s are wanting to buy the cars they knew when they were young. 

• Upvote 1

To some minor degree; yes. But for the theory to be a core cause, the values of the '50s cars would have to have peaked and started to fall (same with 40s, and 30s cars). They're still going up.
The only segment that MAY have tabled or even dropped off (depending on make/model) is '20s and older vehicles, as they're a real challenge to drive.

12 hours ago, balthazar said:

To some minor degree; yes. But for the theory to be a core cause, the values of the '50s cars would have to have peaked and started to fall (same with 40s, and 30s cars). They're still going up.
The only segment that MAY have tabled or even dropped off (depending on make/model) is '20s and older vehicles, as they're a real challenge to drive.

There are still enough 70/80/90 year olds holding on to those cars for now. 

Posted (edited)

There a number of 80s cars also getting collector buzz as well.   It's understandable, many people in their 40s-50s into old cars would want the cars of their youth..it would be 70s-early 90s cars for me..in an alternate life, if I had my farm to myself I'd start putting some cars of that vintage in the barn...

Edited by Robert Hall

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

There are still enough 70/80/90 year olds holding on to those cars for now. 

It really isn't laid out that way as much as is commonly thought.
Not many 80-90 yr olds heavily involved in buying/selling; holding has zero effect of value fluctuations.

DD- Your Toro is not from your 'coming of automotive age', neither is my '59 or '64 (or obviously my '40).
My brother is a '73- his cars are a '65, '68 and '71. My BIL is a '66, his car is a '69. Another friend is a '66, his car is a '66. Another friend is a '67, he has a '33, '55, '67, '67 as keepers. Another friend is about a '59, he has a '38 and a '69.
Another friend is a '56, he's been hunting a '66 Toro for a number of years now.
Another friend is about a '74, he has a '67. Another friend is about a '45, owns a '28.

Frankly, as I sit and think thru still other car friends' & acquaintance's vehicles, none of them own vintage vehicles from their 'coming of age' (circa 16-20 yrs old). From a lifetime of being in the old car hobby, I don't believe the evidence supports 'people buy collector cars that were new when they were a teen/starting to drive'. I believe the theory is an unsupported characterization.

Frankly, I think it's more legitimate that the continually escalating prices of (vastly more appealing) '50-60s cars have simply pushed new collectors to cars that are more affordable; '70s-80s stuff.

Car enthusiasts, real hands-on enthusiasts, aren't about reliving their youth, they're about a car that's cool in their eyes. And I'll bet that given the choice for the same dollar, between a '76 Chevelle and a '66 Chevelle, the vast majority regardless of age would go for the '66.

Edited by balthazar

Posted (edited)

The area of interest varies with the person, I'm sure...my brother, an early Baby Boomer was born in '49 has 4 late 60s muscle car era cars and 3 late 70s-early 80s Mustangs, along w/ several 90s-00s pickups/SUVs and motorcycles.  I have a few friends my age that are into old cars, and it's 80s-90s cars they are into.  

For me, (born in '70), my main area of old car interest is the '70s into the early 90s.  Cars that I was around growing up.  There are some late 60s cars I like also.   But the 50s and before are just so far before my time that they just don't have any appeal to me.    

The way I look at it, is interest in a particular car or era of car depends a lot on how if fits your reality context...the cars, music, movies and pop culture of the 80s have appealed to me since I was growing up, as has the 70s to a lesser degree.  Nothing from the 50s is in my reality context--didn't grow up then. 

It is interesting to speculate what the old car market in 20 years will be like, a lot of the older Baby Boomers and the generation before will be likely out of the hobby.   There are only so many museums out there.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The area of interest varies with the person, I'm sure...my brother, an early Baby Boomer was born in '49 has 4 late 60s muscle car era cars and 3 late 70s-early 80s Mustangs, along w/ several 90s-00s pickups/SUVs and motorcycles.  I have a few friends my age that are into old cars, and it's 80s-90s cars they are into.  

For me, (born in '70), my main area of old car interest is the '70s into the early 90s.  Cars that I was around growing up.  There are some late 60s cars I like also.   But the 50s and before are just so far before my time that they just don't have any appeal to me.    

The way I look at it, is interest in a particular car or era of car depends a lot on how if fits your reality context...the cars, music, movies and pop culture of the 80s have appealed to me since I was growing up, as has the 70s to a lesser degree.  Nothing from the 50s is in my reality context--didn't grow up then. 

It is interesting to speculate what the old car market in 20 years will be like, a lot of the older Baby Boomers and the generation before will be likely out of the hobby.   There are only so many museums out there.  

Just imagine the Millennial's that who will think a Prius is the Bomb Dot Com hot car of the 21st century. 💩

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Just imagine the Millennial's that who will think a Prius is the Bomb Dot Com hot car of the 21st century. 💩

It's possible...or Gen Z will be into them.   It does seem some Millennials are getting into 80s-90s sporty cars like Probes, Integras, etc. though....judging by the cars in the RADwood scene...which overlaps with my interest as a lot of 80s cars that fit in that group.   There are even Millenials going for restored 80s minivans.

• Like 1