NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1986 Pontiac Parisienne Brougham

Much nicer than my top line Caprice Classic that I had in 83. Same interior color though. 

Sweet ride, brings back so many fun memories of High School. :P 

• Upvote 1

Reminds me of cars some friends had in high school...knew a girl with a silver blue/dark blue '81 Bonneville Brougham, a guy with a triple silver '80 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham de Elegance diesel, and my nemesis drove a triple dark red '81 Delta 88 Royale Brougham diesel. 

Best friend's dad had one of these in blue/blue, used to get rides to school when we were in grade 9 in it.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 9:29 AM, Robert Hall said:

Reminds me of cars some friends had in high school...knew a girl with a silver blue/dark blue '81 Bonneville Brougham, a guy with a triple silver '80 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham de Elegance diesel, and my nemesis drove a triple dark red '81 Delta 88 Royale Brougham diesel. 

So I would have been your nemesis!

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

So I would have been your nemesis!

Heh-heh..it wasn't about the car.  We were extremely competitive academically...started gunning for valedictorian when were in 7th grade.  All-out war throughout jr high and high school.  Always striving to get the highest grades in each course.   I ended up valedictorian, but they did a recount and he ended up beating me by 3 thousandths of a point.   The mid 80s in a tiny Florida resort town was a strange time.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Heh-heh..it wasn't about the car.  We were extremely competitive academically...started gunning for valedictorian when were in 7th grade.  All-out war throughout jr high and high school.  Always striving to get the highest grades in each course.   I ended up valedictorian, but they did a recount and he ended up beating me by 3 thousandths of a point.   The mid 80s in a tiny Florida resort town was a strange time.

That is awesome, I know some friends who were just like you including both of my sisters who did the whole 4.0 perfect grades, valedictorian of class, etc. They graduated, my oldest sister is a RN specializes in open wounds. Yes takes a strong stomach and she helps many. My middle sister, decided to get married have kids and now runs a very successful home appliance repair business that gives her a comfy life. Me, I was the opposite, not that I could not have done that, but all the teachers were of the mind set, I had your sisters, you will be just like them so I do not need to help you or bother as you will beat everyone else. 

I said fine, fuck you and off to the computer lab I went. Graduated as a 3.0 average student at the same high school my sisters went too, went off to college and excelled as a 4.0 student doing what I liked and now a computer nerd helping to rule the world. :P 

Had my restored 1976 Series 5 Luv Truck that I zoomed around in, hung out with teachers to learn more of what interested me rather than kids my own age. Probably why I have no real friends here that I ever hang out with. I just ski on the weekends, talk auto with what I consider to be the WORLDS BEST GROUP of Cool dudes and dudette's and yes that even includes @ocnblu and @smk4565 who I know I push buttons all the time and includes @ccap41 with our lively german versus american and him always calling me out to defend my point of view. Especially a BIG THANK YOU to @Drew Dowdell for taking on this site and keeping it for us hard core auto fans.

End result is we live in a Multi-Cultural world of diverse thoughts and opinions be it political, religious, financial, auto and more. 

As long as we continue to at least work to keep our mind open to see another's point of view, we grow and exist together bringing amazing ideas to this world.

THANK YOU, to all who contribute here as it makes my day a bit brighter as I check in through out the day of my normal work life.

I hope you all get as much out of this amazing site as I do. You all ROCK! :metal:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/10/2019 at 11:53 AM, Robert Hall said:

I was (am?) a terrible student.  But when I need to teach myself something practical, that's when I'm the valedictorian. 

All of this website running, including the server setup, ISP config.... all self-taught. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I was (am?) a terrible student.  But when I need to teach myself something practical, that's when I'm the valedictorian. 

All of this website running, including the server setup, ISP config.... all self-taught. 

Yeah, I look at my academic career and how it's applied to my actual career....BS and MS in Computer Science, 3 years towards a Computer Engineering PhD...some of it has carried over--thinking like a programmer, foundations of programming and software engineering, but most everything practical I've done day-to-day the last 22 years has been self taught or occasionally from training at work...... learning APIs, different languages, technology stacks, application server installations and maintenance, database server configurations, etc...and of course the human side of working in IT--dealing with management, QA, system admins, end users, colleagues in different time zones, etc...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, I look at my academic career and how it's applied to my actual career....BS and MS in Computer Science, 3 years towards a Computer Engineering PhD...some of it has carried over--thinking like a programmer, foundations of programming and software engineering, but most everything practical I've done day-to-day the last 22 years has been self taught or occasionally from training at work...... learning APIs, different languages, technology stacks, application server installations and maintenance, database server configurations, etc...and of course the human side of working in IT--dealing with management, QA, system admins, end users, colleagues in different time zones, etc...

Once you get a foundation in college, those that succeed in the Tech Industry are usually self driven / taught to stay on the bleeding edge and have value in what is done for everyone else.

• Upvote 1