Drew Dowdell

Peugeot Interested in Jaguar-Land Rover; Tata says "Not Interested"

PSA Group is starting to sound a bit desperate for a merger these days.  First they bought GM's Opel Unit for $1.54b, later demanding a roughly 50% refund due to issues stemming from extra rosy sales forecasts and emissions regulations trouble. PSA has quickly turned around the Opel unit into a profit center instead of the loss-maker it was under GM control.

More recently, Peugeot was seen to be dancing with FCA only to be rebuffed when it came to light that any merger between the two companies would come in the form of PSA stock

Now PSA Group CEO Carlos Tavares says that he would be interested in a merger with Jaguar Land Rover, saying he would be interested in having a more premium brand above their current DS line. 

Jaguar Land Rover is struggling with sales declines, but parent company Tata has said "There is no truth to the rumor that Tata Motors is looking to divest its stake in JLR". 

So it is back to the dance floor for PSA without a partner.  Lets see who they come up with next. 

View full article

🤔 Can you say CHINA! 🤨

I knew you could. I think some of the auto companies only future will be to merge with a Chinese owned auto company. Even then I still suspect a number of those Chinese auto companies will go under as the global companies cover China.

28 minutes ago, dfelt said:

🤔 Can you say CHINA! 🤨

I knew you could. I think some of the auto companies only future will be to merge with a Chinese owned auto company. Even then I still suspect a number of those Chinese auto companies will go under as the global companies cover China.

I think Ford could be the next likely target.  Very little overlap.  Whether Ford bites is another question entirely. 

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think Ford could be the next likely target.  Very little overlap.  Whether Ford bites is another question entirely. 

Would the Ford Family allow it? The family is so huge and wide now, I wonder when family members will say give me the money and walk away from the auto business.

I want a PSA-Renault/Nissan-FCA- Tata/JLA super merger.

• Haha 2

On 4/8/2019 at 4:38 PM, dfelt said:

Would the Ford Family allow it? The family is so huge and wide now, I wonder when family members will say give me the money and walk away from the auto business.

That wasn't my point.  My point was that Ford may be the next company PSA looks at, even if they get rebuffed again.   A merger of equals between the two wouldn't be the worst of ideas.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That wasn't my point.  My point was that Ford may be the next company PSA looks at, even if they get rebuffed again.   A merger of equals between the two wouldn't be the worst of ideas.

Got it, that actually would give the Ford Family a bigger selling stage that would diversify and grow the collective wealth for both big families involved.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Land Rover is rumored to be working on a new entry level model believed to be codenamed L860. This new model would draw heavily on the new Defender for design inspiration for both the interior and exterior. It would be placed on a cheaper and more modern version of the platform under the Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover Discovery Sport. Four cylinder engines are expected as well as a 1.5-liter 3-cylinder turbo that would be connected to a mild-hybrid system.
      Feature content for the new vehicle would be, as expected, lower than the Defender given its entry level status.  As of now, the rumor is that the new model could be named Land Rover 80 and have a starting price around $33,000. 
      On the opposite end of the pay scale, Land Rover is also looking at a Land Rover Defender Sport model that would appear at least 4 years from now. This version could get an all-electric powertrain and much more luxury.  It would be the flagship of the Defender lineup.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Land Rover is rumored to be working on a new entry level model believed to be codenamed L860. This new model would draw heavily on the new Defender for design inspiration for both the interior and exterior. It would be placed on a cheaper and more modern version of the platform under the Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover Discovery Sport. Four cylinder engines are expected as well as a 1.5-liter 3-cylinder turbo that would be connected to a mild-hybrid system.
      Feature content for the new vehicle would be, as expected, lower than the Defender given its entry level status.  As of now, the rumor is that the new model could be named Land Rover 80 and have a starting price around $33,000. 
      On the opposite end of the pay scale, Land Rover is also looking at a Land Rover Defender Sport model that would appear at least 4 years from now. This version could get an all-electric powertrain and much more luxury.  It would be the flagship of the Defender lineup.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Due to knowledge gained at the I-Pace eTrophy racing series, Jaguar is releasing an update, available at dealerships, for its I-Pace EV CUV.  The update allows the vehicle to travel up to an additional 12 miles on a full charge over the previous range estimate of 292 miles WLTP. 
      The update improves thermal management of the powertrain, alters the torque split front to rear, and improved regenerative braking. The EV system has also been updated to more accurately reflect driving range based on driver habits. The battery will allow the battery to run to a lower state of charge before requiring a recharge without effecting drivablity, durability, or performance. 
      The update is complimentary and can be done at Jaguar dealerships.  The update also includes a new Software-Over-The-Air functionality which will allow the vehicle to receive future updates without visiting a dealership. 
      Jaguar is not changing the estimated 292 range on the WLTP rating though, citing costs required to go through certification again. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Due to knowledge gained at the I-Pace eTrophy racing series, Jaguar is releasing an update, available at dealerships, for its I-Pace EV CUV.  The update allows the vehicle to travel up to an additional 12 miles on a full charge over the previous range estimate of 292 miles WLTP. 
      The update improves thermal management of the powertrain, alters the torque split front to rear, and improved regenerative braking. The EV system has also been updated to more accurately reflect driving range based on driver habits. The battery will allow the battery to run to a lower state of charge before requiring a recharge without effecting drivablity, durability, or performance. 
      The update is complimentary and can be done at Jaguar dealerships.  The update also includes a new Software-Over-The-Air functionality which will allow the vehicle to receive future updates without visiting a dealership. 
      Jaguar is not changing the estimated 292 range on the WLTP rating though, citing costs required to go through certification again. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Jaguar is updating the F-Type for 2021 with a sleeker look and updated engine choices.  The headlamps have been slimmed down and the bumper reworked wit model specific graphics. Around the tail end, the tail lamps are slimmer and feature a new "Chicane" graphic that is borrowed from the Jaguar I-Pace.  Those who select the R model will get a new wheels design, 20-inch 10-spoke wheels with Pirelli P Zero tires, 10 millimeters wider than before. All models can be selected in one of 16 different paint colors with each one offered in either gloss or satin.
      Inside there is a new reconfigurable 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. The 10-inch Touch Pro infotainment system supports both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The system is able to receive over the air updates. The base F-type and R-Dynamic model will get sport seats while Performance bucket seats are standard on the R and First Edition models. 
      Under the bonnet is a choice of three engines depending on model. At base, there is a 2.0-liter turbo 4-cylinder capable of 296 horsepower with a claimed 0-60 time as low as 5.4 seconds. Next up is a supercharged V6 rated at 380 horsepower.  Sitting at the top is a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 which is uprated slightly from prior years to 575 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque. Along with torque vectoring all-wheel drive, the top motor can get this cat from 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds.  Each engine comes with active exhaust system for more exhilarating sound when you want it. 
      The ride and handling has been updated with an updated suspension and electric assist power steering. Jaguar's Adaptive Dynamic system with continuously variable dampers have been tuned for more comfort at low speed and greater stability at high speed. 
      For just the 2021 model year, there will be an F-type First Edition model.  It will be based on the high-performance R-Dynamic trim and feature special 20-inch wheels, and just three colors, Santorini black, Eiger gray, and Fuji white. They come with 12-way power-adjustable seats with Windsor leather while the instrument cluster is wrapped in ebony suedecloth. 
      Pricing has not yet been announced, but don't expect it to cost less than the current $63,000 the car goes for today. It will likely go on sale mid-way through next year.

View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook