Mercedes Unveils the GLB Concept :Comments

Drew Dowdell

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I was dismissive of a Renegade sized vehicle.  Something that is nearly GLC sized and can seat 7 is another matter entirely.   I am actually really interested in this. 

@smk4565  Why no comment on the engine?  It has less horsepower than the XT4. It can't even shut down cylinders like the Cadillac can. 

I don't remember the size being the topic of conversation. I recall it being the design language and body style, which I was advocating for something like this.

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

No point in V-series for these....

I agree, my point that will be lost on SMK is that I can say the same thing as he said and how does this change the fact that this is a very underpowered engine. It does not, his field goal moving is pathetic to attempt to justify that this is still better than anything Cadillac has put out.

33 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I don't remember the size being the topic of conversation. I recall it being the design language and body style, which I was advocating for something like this.

Well, size matters. :P

Sized right, I think this thing will sell like hotcakes. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

XT4, XT5 and XT6 will probably get some engine updates and a v-sport would make sense. I see no reason that Cadillac could not V series everything.

Because they don't have the balls to do that. At their current rate of not V-Series-ing anything, they'll never do that. '

Bash this all you want, you know they'll give it a real AMG eventually. Even the little CLA gets 375hp.

How many Cadillacs even have 375hp? CT6, Escalade, 2 V-Series?

21 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Because they don't have the balls to do that. At their current rate of not V-Series-ing anything, they'll never do that. '

Bash this all you want, you know they'll give it a real AMG eventually. Even the little CLA gets 375hp.

No Need to bash anything, I respect your thoughts, we have new Cadillac leadership and we have no sense of how he will lead them and what his thoughts are for the ICE and EV auto's cadillac will do or what he will offer on the product line yet.

Yes, I agree that Cadillac has missed out on sales by not putting a V series on every model, but they do turn a handsome profit so while they clearly have conservative leadership, they still also have room to grow and add models we have not seen yet.

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Correct on all counts.  And the New CLA45 and A45 have 406 hp I think now.    So 400 hp is very likely as an option to the GLB in a class where about 240-250 hp is the norm.

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

No Need to bash anything, I respect your thoughts, we have new Cadillac leadership and we have no sense of how he will lead them and what his thoughts are for the ICE and EV auto's cadillac will do or what he will offer on the product line yet.

Yes, I agree that Cadillac has missed out on sales by not putting a V series on every model, but they do turn a handsome profit so while they clearly have conservative leadership, they still also have room to grow and add models we have not seen yet.

Cadillac not doing V-series on everything is sort of like GMC putting Denali on 2 models only, and saying we don't want extra money .

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

ATS-V, CTS V-Sport, XTS V-Sport, CT6 3.0TT, CT6 V-Sport, CT6-V, Escalade

I don't think it's a matter of "balls"... I think it's a matter of business case. Will they sell enough of them to make money on it... I think they think the answer is "No"... at least on the crossovers. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't think it's a matter of "balls"... I think it's a matter of business case. Will they sell enough of them to make money on it... I think they think the answer is "No"... at least on the crossovers. 

A lot of those cars are dead or will be in 6 months.   I assume there will be a V of the CT4 and CT5, but who knows, maybe they can't find the business case for that either.  Cadillac sells like 5 SUVs to every one sedan probably.    

I still think since they Denali everything, they might as well V-series everything.  Although putting the crossovers on Alpha/Omega chassis would help make that more plausible.  I don't see how there isn't a business case when they make $80,000 Camaros and $130k Corvettes and $70k pickups.  They find buyers for top trims on Chevy's I don't see how they can't on Cadillacs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

A lot of those cars are dead or will be in 6 months.   I assume there will be a V of the CT4 and CT5, but who knows, maybe they can't find the business case for that either.  Cadillac sells like 5 SUVs to every one sedan probably.    

I still think since they Denali everything, they might as well V-series everything.  Although putting the crossovers on Alpha/Omega chassis would help make that more plausible.  I don't see how there isn't a business case when they make $80,000 Camaros and $130k Corvettes and $70k pickups.  They find buyers for top trims on Chevy's I don't see how they can't on Cadillacs.

Because people like you keep finding things wrong with the ash tray liners that somehow make them inferior to germans that have less power for the same price. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Because people like you keep finding things wrong with the ash tray liners that somehow make them inferior to germans that have less power for the same price. 

But the C-class and E-class  have more horsepower in 4 and 6 cylinder spec than a CT5.  

Regardless of that, I don't see how V-series package that adds $20k to the price of any Cadillac crossover isn't easy profit, even if it is only a 10% take rate.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

YET AGAIN, you ignore the original POINT of this thread about the under powered underwhelming engine for the GLB.

Instead you try to play wizard of OZ with smoke and mirrors thinking people will get lost on the G-Wagon or AMG 4 & 6 everything, trying to pull the attention away from the fact that while many of us like the looks of this small CUV, the Engine is NOT "Best or Nothing at all" Per Mercedes-benz marketing as it is an UNDERWHELMING engine! 🙄

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

YET AGAIN, you ignore the original POINT of this thread about the under powered underwhelming engine for the GLB.

Instead you try to play wizard of OZ with smoke and mirrors thinking people will get lost on the G-Wagon or AMG 4 & 6 everything, trying to pull the attention away from the fact that while many of us like the looks of this small CUV, the Engine is NOT "Best or Nothing at all" Per Mercedes-benz marketing as it is an UNDERWHELMING engine! 🙄

The GLB has the same torque as an XT4 or X1 and more than a Q3.  There is nothing wrong with the power output of the base engine.  I would argue the A220 is underpowered though.  

There is no power upgrade for XT4, Lexus NX, Q3, RDX, etc.  GLB is going to have engine upgrades that the others don’t.

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I completely forgot about the V-Sports. Thanks!

12 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They hardly have anything to really compete with the Germans... Yeah, their top trims are great but below that I just feel like they're not as competitive in the middle and bottom of the competition's lineups.

Top to bottom Mercedes'and BMW's lineups are so much better. 

On 4/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, smk4565 said:

Correct on all counts.  And the New CLA45 and A45 have 406 hp I think now.    So 400 hp is very likely as an option to the GLB in a class where about 240-250 hp is the norm.

420hp! 

That's one little rocket of a car. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/new-york-auto-show/a27192602/2020-mercedes-amg-a45-engine-most-powerful-four-cylinder/

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It will be interesting to see if they can do that in a single-turbo car and keep the lag down. They haven't kept the lag down on the existing 2.0 yet. 

My bet is they'll use the electric turbocharger in combination with a regular turbo. 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Tobias Moers is awesome.  He gets all the performance stuff built that most bean counters at other car companies would not let see the light of day.

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It will be interesting to see if they can do that in a single-turbo car and keep the lag down. They haven't kept the lag down on the existing 2.0 yet. 

My bet is they'll use the electric turbocharger in combination with a regular turbo. 

Yeah needs the 48 volt battery with the electric compressor.  But we are also talking lag on a fast car, it isn’t like a 90s Volvo that even with the turbo is like 8 seconds 0-60.

Edited by smk4565
  • Like 1