Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

DRIVEN: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2.7t four cylinder turbo Crew Cab Short Box 4-Wheel Drive All Star Edition

I saw a WT with vinyl interior today at a local dealer.  The vinyl seats look very well tailored.  I don't think they look cheap at all.  If I take the plunge and order a WT regular cab 4X4, I would get the vinyl seats, but with the carpeted floor.  I grew up with rubber floor trucks on the farm, and once dirty, they stay dirty, you can never get them clean looking.  I would be fine with the 4.3 too, after seeing Motor Trend's speed and mileage report on it in a crew cab WT.

Nice write-up, reg!

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Repub trucks are bigger.  And stronger.  You're welcome.

i tried looking for the Silverado's meat curtains and i don't think i found them.

er, i mean, air curtains

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Repub trucks are bigger.  And stronger.  You're welcome.

with as small as that lil' turbo looks under the hood there, you'd swear when showing your friends that maybe there's un alectic mootor under the hood of that thing.  You could tell your friends you got the first electric pickup truck, they wouldn't be the wiser, and you could stun all your friends.

Edited by regfootball
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/20/2019 at 7:44 PM, regfootball said:

Colorado / Canyon I am talking about you.  This would be a perfect engine for those pickups.  Some of the crossovers and SUV's would benefit from this engine also (Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, XT6, Tahoe).  And could they even retune it and put it in a CT5 or CT6?

This engine needs to be spread out ASAP. I think it would do great in everything you listed. 

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I would be fine with the 4.3 too, after seeing Motor Trend's speed and mileage report on it in a crew cab WT.

What review was that?  Do you have a link? i have a buddy who might be looking at a new Trail Boss crew cab but it has the 4.3(seems like an odd combo) but he's a little hesitant because of how poorly rated the 4.3 is. I think on the dealer's website they stated like 14/18.. I thought it was better than that but I didn't look into it at the time. 

It seems like a great price as long as you're okay with the 4.3.

https://www.elcochevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_Custom_Trail_Boss-Ballwin-MO/3383594903

Edited by ccap41

Great write-up. I was in the back seat of the last gen F150 and couldn't believe how large the back seats were then. I assume the current gen of all of them is even larger, which is nuts. 

I think this engine is getting a little sh!t just because of its size just like the original 3.5EB did. I think it will be just fine and specs-wise, it's positioned well above where V8 truck engines were not all that long ago.. 15 years? 2004 6.0 made 300hp/360tq. That was the top engine. This is supposedly a replacement for the BASE engine. 

Other than the chrome bumper, that pictured truck looks pretty good. The Silverado styling has grown on me. While I don't think it looks as good as a '19 Ram or F150, it no longer looks quite like the dumpster fire that it originally did to me. 

This MSRP'd for 48k, what were they actually selling it for? I have to believe it was 40k, give or take. 

Yeah, 

27 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This MSRP'd for 48k, what were they actually selling it for? I have to believe it was 40k, give or take. 

The link to the actual dealer listing (seems to be gone now) said it was $36k or there abouts....The MSRP is a fake price, then they put in the discounts to make it look better...

Edited by Robert Hall

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, 

The link to the actual dealer listing (seems to be gone now) said it was $36k or there abouts....The MSRP is a fake price, then they put in the discounts to make it look better...

Pretty much., If it isn't one of the higher trims, there SHOULD be about 8-12k off, easily. 

Very cool writeup, glad you found areas that you were excited by. I agree with lots of what you posted about the truck. Interesting as I hate the look of the Chevy, but love the look of the GMC.

Found two locally that are nice, one has V6 and the other has V8. Surprised at the low price, but then I did just go in as crew cab. Good deals on new 2018 models.

2018 2WD V6 White Crewcab for $25,524

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=487125825&zip=98043&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D98043%26listingTypes%3DNEW%26bodyStyleSubtypeCodes%3DFULLSIZE_CREW%2BCOMPACT_CREW%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26modelCodeList%3D15SIPU4WD%26makeCodeList%3DGMC%26searchRadius%3D50&listingTypes=NEW&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=15SIPU4WD&makeCodeList=GMC&searchRadius=50&makeCode1=GMC&modelCode1=15SIPU4WD&clickType=listing

2018 4x4 V8 Dark Slate Metallic for $35,981

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=470160510&zip=98043&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D98043%26listingTypes%3DNEW%26bodyStyleSubtypeCodes%3DFULLSIZE_CREW%2BCOMPACT_CREW%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26modelCodeList%3D15SIPU4WD%26makeCodeList%3DGMC%26searchRadius%3D50&listingTypes=NEW&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=15SIPU4WD&makeCodeList=GMC&searchRadius=50&clickType=spotlight

2019 2WD V6 White Crewcab for $33,987

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=504033583&zip=98043&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D98043%26listingTypes%3DNEW%26startYear%3D2019%26bodyStyleSubtypeCodes%3DFULLSIZE_CREW%2BCOMPACT_CREW%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26endYear%3D2019%26modelCodeList%3D15SIPU4WD%26makeCodeList%3DGMC%26searchRadius%3D50&listingTypes=NEW&startYear=2019&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=15SIPU4WD&makeCodeList=GMC&searchRadius=50&makeCode1=GMC&modelCode1=15SIPU4WD&clickType=listing

2019 4x4 V8 Deep Mahogany Metallic $34,995 Has bed liner sprayed in.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=500777528&zip=98043&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D98043%26listingTypes%3DNEW%26startYear%3D2019%26bodyStyleSubtypeCodes%3DFULLSIZE_CREW%2BCOMPACT_CREW%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26endYear%3D2019%26modelCodeList%3D15SIPU4WD%26makeCodeList%3DGMC%26searchRadius%3D50&listingTypes=NEW&startYear=2019&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=15SIPU4WD&makeCodeList=GMC&searchRadius=50&makeCode1=GMC&modelCode1=15SIPU4WD&digitalRetail=true&clickType=listing

That Brown Metallic in the 4x4 V8 above is sure pretty.

It seems hard out here in the PNW to find one of those turbo 4 bangers.

9 hours ago, ccap41 said:

What review was that?  Do you have a link?

The Silverado WT needs a respectable 7.2 seconds to get to 60 mph and does a 15.6-second quarter mile at 88.7 mph, quicker than a base model Ford or Ram. It outgrips those trucks, too, pulling 0.77 average lateral g on the skidpad and running a 28.0-second lap of the figure eight at 0.62 average lateral g. Braking is surprisingly longer than the Ford or Ram, stopping from 60 mph in 126 feet. Just goes to show a good brake pedal doesn't always mean more stopping power.

That performance, though, comes at a cost. At 15/20/17 mpg city/highway/combined, it's enough to make a fleet manager run screaming off the lot. The good news is, it actually gets much better fuel economy, at least when it's not loaded. Our Real MPG team recorded 17.6/25/20.3 mpg city/highway/combined

The Silverado WT needs a respectable 7.2 seconds to get to 60 mph and does a 15.6-second quarter mile at 88.7 mph, quicker than a base model Ford or Ram.

That's a slippery slope right there though. The 2.7T isn't the base engine and if you option the 2.7T from Ford it blows the GM 2.7T out of the water. 

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

That's a slippery slope right there though. The 2.7T isn't the base engine and if you option the 2.7T from Ford it blows the GM 2.7T out of the water. 

Well that's the Ram with 3.6, F-150 with 3.3 and Chevy with 4.3.  Base engines in base level trims.

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That is very odd they make the 4.3 the base engine and the 2.7 an option.  Pay more to get a 4cyl? What a joke...

But the 4.3 may well be the better TRUCK engine.  The 2.7T is for those who want better fuel economy.  Same with Ford's EcoBoost engines in all of its cars and trucks.  Also, GM can get more $$$$ for those who want better fuel economy, just like Ford does.

One Question: why does GM insist on getting the smallest wheels they can get away with rather than put on some size-appropriate wheels on this truck?

26 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

One Question: why does GM insist on getting the smallest wheels they can get away with rather than put on some size-appropriate wheels on this truck?

Cost-cutting?  Smaller wheels and tires are cheaper.    I still can't wrap my head around a 4cyl in large vehicles...4cyl to me is for small cars and CUVs..subcompacts and compacts..I wouldn't want one in a full size truck, or a luxury car for that matter (though Volvo seems to pull it off).   But that's just me..I've never bought into 4 cyls in midsize or larger vehicles. 

Edited by Robert Hall

35 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That is very odd they make the 4.3 the base engine and the 2.7 an option.  Pay more to get a 4cyl? What a joke...

The 4.3 is the base engine in the WT and Custom trims.  2.7t is the base engine in the LT trim.

The smallest wheel on this new Silverado is 17".  It wasn't that long ago that 15" wheels were the norm for fullsize half tons, and 16"-16.5" on 3/4 and one-tons.  Oh how our perceptions have changed.  How many sets of tires will these trucks wear in their lifetimes? 

6 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

The 4.3 is the base engine in the WT and Custom trims.  2.7t is the base engine in the LT trim.

The smallest wheel on this new Silverado is 17".  It wasn't that long ago that 15" wheels were the norm for fullsize half tons, and 16"-16.5" on 3/4 and one-tons.  Oh how our perceptions have changed.  How many sets of tires will these trucks wear in their lifetimes? 

Yeah, like my old Jeep came standard with 16" wheels, back in 2000.  The current ones come with 17s base, but I'm used to the 20s on mine, wouldn't want smaller now.    In the truck's lifetime--who knows...I think I had 4-5 sets of tires in 17 years on my old Jeep. 

On 4/22/2019 at 6:40 PM, ocnblu said:

The Silverado WT needs a respectable 7.2 seconds to get to 60 mph and does a 15.6-second quarter mile at 88.7 mph, quicker than a base model Ford or Ram. It outgrips those trucks, too, pulling 0.77 average lateral g on the skidpad and running a 28.0-second lap of the figure eight at 0.62 average lateral g. Braking is surprisingly longer than the Ford or Ram, stopping from 60 mph in 126 feet. Just goes to show a good brake pedal doesn't always mean more stopping power.

That performance, though, comes at a cost. At 15/20/17 mpg city/highway/combined, it's enough to make a fleet manager run screaming off the lot. The good news is, it actually gets much better fuel economy, at least when it's not loaded. Our Real MPG team recorded 17.6/25/20.3 mpg city/highway/combined

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a25177218/2019-chevy-silverado-1500-four-cylinder-drive/

Zero to 60 mph: 7.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 18.2 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.1 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.7 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.4 sec @ 93 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 107 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 177 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g

epa 20/19/22

My seat of the pants guess when driving it was that it was a 7 second 0-60 vehicle 

• Agree 1

Finally saw today a couple of these new trucks on the road, one black and the other red and know in watching them go down the highway and come up from behind, the front and rear are BUTT UGLY!, GMC has the win on style, these trucks have replaced the original love hate that Ram had when it came out with their big rig look.

Chevy is ugly and I am firmly in the HATE camp. Take a GMC version every day over this truck! Chevy = :puke:

3 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Silverado offers (2) 17" wheels, (2) 18", (5) 20" and (1) 22".
It's not an issue of 'too small' rims; it's the wheel well size & how high the trucks sit. 

I wouldn't want any but a 20", this from stomping around on a GMC lot and comparing this aspect specifically. 

6 hours ago, regfootball said:

Zero to 60 mph: 7.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 18.2 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.1 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.7 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.4 sec @ 93 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 107 mph

Those are darn good numbers for the 4 cylinder, amazing actually, but the trusty 4.3 figures I posted from Motor Trend's article are only incrementally slower while having a perceived advantage in aural quality, simplicity and longevity on an engine that has been continually (but slowly) improved since what... 1987?

Well that's the Ram with 3.6, F-150 with 3.3 and Chevy with 4.3.  Base engines in base level trims.

My mistake, the 4.3 is quicker than I thought. 

12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, it makes more power, torque, and gets better fuel economy and it's matched to a 10spd transmission instead of the old 6 spd. 

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

it's the wheel well size & how high the trucks sit. 

There it is. Somebody else gets it. The trucks have grown and to keep proportions looking right they have massive wheel wells which make the 17" wheels look smaller than they really are. 

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Cost-cutting?  Smaller wheels and tires are cheaper.    I still can't wrap my head around a 4cyl in large vehicles...4cyl to me is for small cars and CUVs..subcompacts and compacts..I wouldn't want one in a full size truck, or a luxury car for that matter (though Volvo seems to pull it off).   But that's just me..I've never bought into 4 cyls in midsize or larger vehicles. 

Volvo does it because they turbo and supercharge them on the upper models. 

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Those are darn good numbers for the 4 cylinder, amazing actually, but the trusty 4.3 figures I posted from Motor Trend's article are only incrementally slower while having a perceived advantage in aural quality, simplicity and longevity on an engine that has been continually (but slowly) improved since what... 1987?

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Since 2016, no?

@balthazar is right on this one.  The current 4.3 has no relation to the old 4.3 from '87.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Wasn't the old story about GM products and big wheel wells is they did it that way for clearance for tire chains? 

That was on the cars. 

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Wasn't the old story about GM products and big wheel wells is they did it that way for clearance for tire chains? 

Chains haven't been semi-common since when- the '60s? 

On old cars, this would perhaps make sense INSIDE the fenders (except it doesn't), but the size of the fender opening has zero bearing on whether you could get a less than 1 inch tall chain set around the tire. I think that's an unfounded myth.

On trucks, I believe the over-large wheel wells are primarily there to allow much large tire upgrades by owners (tho that also seems to be falling off in popularity to some degree). 

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Chains haven't been semi-common since when- the '60s?  

I know they are still a thing in parts of Colorado in the winter..

A more probable myth for today is GM vehicles need lots of wheel well space for rebound when driven on the cratered roads of Michigan.. 

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...

Me likey the Satin Steel.
Coming up on a year since the unveiling, and I still like both the Silverado & the Sierra about equally. 

Wife today said next year I'm getting a new truck, after we parked next to a brand new extra-cost-dark-red F-150.
Maybe some decent deals on '19s will be available- I wouldn't buy brand new again.