regfootball

DRIVEN: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2.7t four cylinder turbo Crew Cab Short Box 4-Wheel Drive All Star Edition

Finally saw today a couple of these new trucks on the road, one black and the other red and know in watching them go down the highway and come up from behind, the front and rear are BUTT UGLY!, GMC has the win on style, these trucks have replaced the original love hate that Ram had when it came out with their big rig look.

Chevy is ugly and I am firmly in the HATE camp. Take a GMC version every day over this truck! Chevy = :puke:

3 hours ago, riviera74 said:

One Question: why does GM insist on getting the smallest wheels they can get away with rather than put on some size-appropriate wheels on this truck?

Silverado offers (2) 17" wheels, (2) 18", (5) 20" and (1) 22".
It's not an issue of 'too small' rims; it's the wheel well size & how high the trucks sit. 

I wouldn't want any but a 20", this from stomping around on a GMC lot and comparing this aspect specifically. 

6 hours ago, regfootball said:

Zero to 60 mph: 7.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 18.2 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.1 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.7 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.4 sec @ 93 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 107 mph

Those are darn good numbers for the 4 cylinder, amazing actually, but the trusty 4.3 figures I posted from Motor Trend's article are only incrementally slower while having a perceived advantage in aural quality, simplicity and longevity on an engine that has been continually (but slowly) improved since what... 1987?

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well that's the Ram with 3.6, F-150 with 3.3 and Chevy with 4.3.  Base engines in base level trims.

My mistake, the 4.3 is quicker than I thought. 

12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

That is very odd they make the 4.3 the base engine and the 2.7 an option.  Pay more to get a 4cyl? What a joke...

Well, it makes more power, torque, and gets better fuel economy and it's matched to a 10spd transmission instead of the old 6 spd. 

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

it's the wheel well size & how high the trucks sit. 

There it is. Somebody else gets it. The trucks have grown and to keep proportions looking right they have massive wheel wells which make the 17" wheels look smaller than they really are. 

Wasn't the old story about GM products and big wheel wells is they did it that way for clearance for tire chains? 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Cost-cutting?  Smaller wheels and tires are cheaper.    I still can't wrap my head around a 4cyl in large vehicles...4cyl to me is for small cars and CUVs..subcompacts and compacts..I wouldn't want one in a full size truck, or a luxury car for that matter (though Volvo seems to pull it off).   But that's just me..I've never bought into 4 cyls in midsize or larger vehicles. 

Volvo does it because they turbo and supercharge them on the upper models. 

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Those are darn good numbers for the 4 cylinder, amazing actually, but the trusty 4.3 figures I posted from Motor Trend's article are only incrementally slower while having a perceived advantage in aural quality, simplicity and longevity on an engine that has been continually (but slowly) improved since what... 1987?

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Since 2016, no?

@balthazar is right on this one.  The current 4.3 has no relation to the old 4.3 from '87.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Wasn't the old story about GM products and big wheel wells is they did it that way for clearance for tire chains? 

That was on the cars. 

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Chains haven't been semi-common since when- the '60s? 

On old cars, this would perhaps make sense INSIDE the fenders (except it doesn't), but the size of the fender opening has zero bearing on whether you could get a less than 1 inch tall chain set around the tire. I think that's an unfounded myth.

On trucks, I believe the over-large wheel wells are primarily there to allow much large tire upgrades by owners (tho that also seems to be falling off in popularity to some degree). 

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Chains haven't been semi-common since when- the '60s?  

I know they are still a thing in parts of Colorado in the winter..

A more probable myth for today is GM vehicles need lots of wheel well space for rebound when driven on the cratered roads of Michigan.. 

• Haha 3

Well 99% of ppl say the Chevy smallblock has been produced since 1955 with continual improvements.  That's where I get my 4.3 timeline from.

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Since 1958. ;)

Dammit you got me on that... there was no reference (SBC/BBC) until the 348 came out.  DRAT

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

You don’t have to get it in white

disclaimer, the satin steel one in this picture may be a v8. Satin steel is a sharp color on these trucks

D0E5E272-853F-461F-9AD8-B27F4E2F0498.jpeg

2B4FC64C-E627-446D-AAC6-0760311CDA55.jpeg

This Sierra is a 4 popper also. 

4E0341D9-6112-4E7D-84D4-E0019A69EA7C.jpeg

Edited by regfootball

Me likey the Satin Steel.
Coming up on a year since the unveiling, and I still like both the Silverado & the Sierra about equally. 

Wife today said next year I'm getting a new truck, after we parked next to a brand new extra-cost-dark-red F-150.
Maybe some decent deals on '19s will be available- I wouldn't buy brand new again.