Sign in to follow this  
corvette_dude729

What did I do wrong again *UPDATE* with XLR-V at b

27 posts in this topic

1. your ellipses need to look less triangular and more elliptical.

2. your rear wheel is a bit too far back

3. for the front, try finding the center of the windsheild line doing this to it:

Posted Image

the pink lines need to be parallel to each other, everything has to line up (that is if you're neglecting vanishing points, which in some cases is fine).

im no expert, but thats what i think.

Your pasanger compartment is huge... f/r ovrhangs are

too small and the car's wheels look too far out.

Want a little body with that greenhouse? :P Sorry, just had to.

But, I'd say to STRETCH the front of it... between the windshield and front of the car. You've got to fit a V8 in there! Then, make the greenhouse shorter and not so long.. and the wheels should be round. But you've got the right idea.

I find that whenever I start from the rear of the car, the front goes horribly wrong, and whenever I start from the front of the car, the rear goes horribly wrong. Maybe it's just a fear of not being able to finish on the paper. Although, this time I was actually running out of paper.

Start at the greenhouse.. the lower part where the windows end, stretch that to the windshield, then make the roof... then go from there. Try it at least..

alright... this is goin to sound crazy... like really crazy... but i want you to try it just to see how it goes...

first... stare at that picture for a long time... it wont be too difficult... its gorgeous lol... but stare for a very long time... 30 minutes MINIMUM...

then... pick up your pencil... get the paper... CLOSE YOUR EYES and draw the ouline of the car from memory... it may not look great... but... it will probably be within reasonable proportions...

your problem seems to be that you start drawing at one point... and once enough turns out good... you freak out an start worrying about how the rest will turn out...

i figure if you can memorize enough of the outline of the car... and draw it without looking... you wont know how the first part turned out an so youll remain calm...

not to mention... with your eyes closed you'll be so focused on the outline in your memory that you should be able to get it pretty good and fill in the details from there

LOL Monte, I think I gave that advice before to someone .....now who was it ???

and it worked too !....Now, as for our friend here, he has gotten a lot of good advice and still has not quite picked up on it so, DO WHAT MONTE SAID.

Then after you do that DO WHAT NOS SAID. Draw the vanishing lines lightly on the page...BEFORE you draw the CAR !!!! that will give you a "space to park in" OK?

THEN throw them ALL away !!!...and start from scratch with a new page, and just draw the thing without thinking about how to do it, let your hand draw not your mind. Once you have worked out the DESIGN in your mind (thats the point of drawing with your eyes closed) to VISUSALIZE the DESIGN, you will be able to draw it in any angle because YOU SEE what it looks like in your mind's eye already. after you do ALL of this ....POST THAT DRAWING !!

Keep at it, you will get there.

I just finished sketching that XLR-V. Monte, I tried that method but it didn't work at all. I tried what NOS said and it really helped. I think this is my best drawing yet. I'll have it posted tommorow afternoon. (my scanner is in my parents' room and they are sleeping) My only problem is that I ran out of paper and could not finish the rear. What should I do about that?

Edited by corvette_dude729

I just finished sketching that XLR-V.  Monte, I tried that method but it didn't work at all.  I tried what NOS said and it really helped.  I think this is my best drawing yet.  I'll have it posted tommorow afternoon.  (my scanner is in my parents' room and they are sleeping) My only problem is that I ran out of paper and could not finish the rear.  What should I do about that?

DUDE I AM NOT TRYING TO BE MEAN ....but throw that one away !

Just crumple it up and tear it in two and chuck it.

Tomarrow do it all again from Montes and Nos and MY sugesttions,....

IF YOU DO THIS ...I promise the drawing you do tomarrow will not only fit on the paper ( Thats why i say chuck it, and do it again) ....IT WILL BE THE VERY BEST DRAWING YOU HAVE EVER DONE IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE !

That is the one we need to see...OK ?

Just wait and see, for this one. I tried Monte's way, but I could not memorize the shape of the car in my head. Also, if I picked up my pencil I could not tell where to put it back down. I think this one I just drew is pretty good. But for some reason it always looks so much worse when you have it scanned in on your computer. I mean, at first I thought my Camaro looked decent! Barf!!

heh... that technique doesnt work with everyone... just work on it man... trust me... drawing isnt as much a talent as it is a practice... the more you work at it... the better you get... if you really want to get good... just keep trying...

but dont only do cars... try drawing boxes in perspective to get used to vanishing points etc...

if your willing to give my technique one more shot... some advice...

dont close your eyes until your pencil is on the paper...

start at the bottom of the rear bumper...

and dont pick your pencil up... just draw the outline... up the rear... across the decklid, up the roofline... down onto the hood and down to the front bumper...

and just so you know... open your eyes to finish the rest haha

if you dont want to try that again its cool... whatever your most comfortable with is whats goin to be best for you

also... dont throw your drawings away... as a rule i keep everything i draw... EVERYTHING... doodles... full detail sketches and evrything in between... just make sure to never... never look at yur previous drawings while doing a new one... it screws everything up in some weird way... i cant really explain it lol

Just wait and see, for this one.  I tried Monte's way, but I could not memorize the shape of the car in my head.  Also, if I picked up my pencil I could not tell where to put it back down.  I think this one I just drew is pretty good.  But for some reason it always looks so much worse when you have it scanned in on your computer.  I mean, at first I thought my Camaro looked decent!  Barf!!

next time don't take the pencil off the paper and KEEP your eyes closed...that s why it did not work for you !

Pencil NEVER leaves the paper until you are DONE.

YOU gotta see the car in your mind and let your hand follow without seeing what you are doing, then when you draw the car with your eyes open you do the opopiste, and your hand will draw out what your mind sees, but until you see that car....you will NOT be able to draw it right. so you may be correct in drawing a exsisting car first, that you already can SEE...get it ?

and uh one more question if you don't mind....are you left handed ?

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

I'll give this method another shot, but for right now it's time to hit the haystack. :AH-HA_wink: Look tommorow at around 2:50 and it should be posted.

BTW, Monte: I never really throw anything either. I like to keep a record of everything, and all of my old drawings.

DETROIT: No, I'm right handed. And just something on a side note, WHY DO YOU ALWAYS TALK IN CAPITAL LETTERS? I just find it slightly annoying because it feels like your yelling at me, or just really excited. It's good that your a happy guy with lots of energy. You seem like a cool guy and everything, but if you don't mind can you just minimize it a little bit, thanks. :thumbsup:

Edited by corvette_dude729

I'll give this method another shot, but for right now it's time to hit the haystack. :AH-HA_wink: Look tommorow at around 2:50 and it should be posted.

BTW, Monte:  I never really throw anything either.  I like to keep a record of everything, and all of my old drawings.

DETROIT: No, I'm right handed.  And just something on a side note, WHY DO YOU ALWAYS TALK IN CAPITAL LETTERS?  I just find it slightly annoying because it feels like your yelling at me, or just really excited.  It's good that your a happy guy with lots of energy.  You seem like a cool guy and everything, but if you don't mind can you just minimize it a little bit, thanks. :thumbsup:

OK I PROMISE I WILL DO THAT......NEXT TIME....KEEP AT IT DUDE, YOU ARE DOING WELL SO FAR....BEST OF LUCK

LOL, OH $h!........sorry.

(p.s.---I don't throw much away either, sickness that's all it is ) :lol:

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

thats a definite improvement... your getting there... but the greenhouse is still waaayyy too big as compared to the rest of the car... work on that part... the best way to get good is to keep practicing

That looks much better! Only thing is that.. the car's the perfect height, its just that the "beltline" is too low.. Raise it up and it looks great!

Yes you are getting it down better now, hint: start with the wheels placed within a vanishing line "stage", and set the lenght of the car on the page that way you can sketch in very lightly the entire shape, and if it looks right to you THEN go back and darken up the defining lines of the body, before adding any shading to it.

like this;

Posted Image

this is ALL you need to put on paper to get the car on full, from here you can go into the shading and detals...OK ? try it from a side veiw like this one, then once you geta design go for the 3/4 views as it helps to define the proprotions from the side first. On purpose this time I did not resize this drawing so you can SEE the lighter lines and the darker ones that were added AFTER the very light sketch.

Hope this helps you and I am looking forward to your progress !

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

OK...here is what I mean, in a 2 dimensional drawing (side veiw) you have one basic imaginary vanising point, set on the horizion in the distance ;

Posted Image

SEE ? the lines from that point determine the proportions and the box I drew is the "stage" where the car is parked inside of, allright you can do this now.

Look,you are not running out of paper, trust me paper has NO LEGS and it's not running away from your drawing !!..lol, it's just placing the entire car ON the paper that is bugging you, OK.

Do your sketch with this entire process, and then post it up on this thread so we can see what you did, and THEN we'll work ya up to 3/4 veiws in perspective, like you are doing with your drawings, you have 2 seperate vanishing points with a 3 dimensional drawing that you need to consider...but first things first.

Just do the side view for now.

detail it out with shading after you get it on paper looking right...

Posted Image

BTW that's my C7 Retro Vette pix, but rather than post it seperate I think it's better used to help this guy out right now,...

cuz this is stuff we all need to learn better,...& me too.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

The bad thing is, I can't really do a side view without looking at a side view. I can't imagine what the car would look like from the side without seeing the pic. I could, however just a draw any random car just to get the feel of it.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this