1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Question is; will BMW upgrade the torque on their 3.0 ???
And when will they get on the 10-spd train???
And the 2 cars basically weigh the same- 78 lbs is nothing???

???

?

Since BMW doesn't make their own transmission and they buy ZF units, I guess they will get 10 speeds when ZF makes it.  

Mercedes ran 81 billion simulations in 2015 and found that a 10 speed has no benefit over a 9-speed however.  So they have already done ZF's work for them, no reason to make a 10-speed.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

So then you agree that all MB products need to be compared to the same products from Chevy and Toyota since they use allot of cheap materials, hard plastics and over all have gone from a Luxury product line to a Toyolet product line with the cheap cars and vans, etc.

I don't know where all the hard plastics are on a Mercedes unless you are talking about a Sprinter or the wheel cladding on some SUVs, which isn't even on all of them, because most SUVs have body color fender guards.  But the E-class does compare very well to a Camry, just as the GLS compares very well to a Tahoe, so compare away, Mercedes wins those all day.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Since BMW doesn't make their own transmission and they buy ZF units, I guess they will get 10 speeds when ZF makes it.

Oooo, a shame BMW just gave up on being class leading there. Tho to be accurate, toyota had an 8-speed before BMW did, so maybe they never were in this category. 
Consumers are like totally driven by numbers, totally, and more numbers are more betterer. Maybe, as a full-line mainstream mass production brand, BMW should invest a little money into building their own units. Ooops, that ship has sailed with the budget crunch in Munich.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

But the E-class does compare very well to a Camry, just as the GLS compares very well to a Tahoe, so compare away, Mercedes wins those all day.

Actually, those other competitors far outsell the MB's models (at least the cam-cam does), so mercedes loses here. 
Consumers are like totally driven by numbers, totally, and more numbers are more betterer.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Oooo, a shame BMW just gave up on being class leading there.

BMW was never class leading, they have been in 2nd place (or worse) for the past 100 years and were almost bought out by the leader.

Posted (edited)

2002 / 3-series started it's segment up. MB was all about tinny, underpowered old-world sleds, and they followed BMW into that segment. Last year, the 3/4 series crushed the C-class in sales.  

Edited by balthazar

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Cadillac needs to start comparing that CT5 to the ES350, MKZ, and Q50, hell maybe a Kia Stinger or Acura TLX.  Change the narrative, they look bad in any comparison they do with BMW and Mercedes.  And plastic on the C-pillar a la the Cruze is just terrible and shouldn't have black plastic on a pillar of a luxury car.  

As I hinted at above I think stinger gets talked about more these days. Tlx is fair comparison. 

Cadillac has to frame the CT5 as a ‘desirable sedan option’ and give up trying position itself in ads as some competitor for just about anything. They need to keep prices low on units that show up on lots and put nice lease offers on the table. Get some good press on the base model although that will be hard to do with the motor specs being barely adequate. The v6 will be an awesome performer but they will price any v6 into the stratosphere; so they won’t sell enough. That’s what GM does. If they seriously can get the power and toque numbers of the 4 up closer to 300 than 250 they could make waves in the market even with the less attractive shell and near useless trunk because it should still drive well. There is something bad about how this vehicle platform is for packaging. Gm cant get comfortable package with hardly any vehicles on this platform so that’s why on the CT5 they invested so much in the weird shape to get the backseat and headroom better. Too much room in the hood makes it tough to package the rest of the car.  

Edited by regfootball

4 hours ago, regfootball said:

Tlx is fair comparison.

If your saying 'to the CT5', I have to respond by saying 'pump the brakes'.

CT5 has 'power issues' vs. the 3-series, but can be pitched 'fairly' against the TLX?
Numbers, please:
CT5 ~ 2.0: 237/258, 3.0: 335/400
3-ser ~ 2.0: 255/295, 3.0: 382/369
TLX ~ 2.4: 206/182, 3.5: 290/267

BMW 2.0 has 18 more HP & 37 more TRQ than the CT5 2.0. Meaningless.
TLX 2.4 has 31 less HP & 76 less TRQ than the CT5. That's a lot, esp with more displacement.

BMW 3.0 has 47 more HP & 31 less TRQ than the CT5 3.0.
TLX 3.5 has 45 less HP & 133 less TRQ than the CT5.

Power numbers for the CT5 are right in the thick of the game.

• Upvote 1

I think the styling will impact sales more than the engine in this case.  And the interior and the price.

Yeah- so the numbers should be good. The potential problem is any upcoming CT4- just not a necessary component of the Cadillac portfolio and should be shelved immediately. 

Saw a new Mercedes a class in the wild today. It’s a nice rig. And yet small. Ct4 May have a tough time as any sort of credible competition

A-class comes with a paltry 188 HP 2.0T. That's more comparable to a 1.4T Cruze with 153 HP.

...why is the a-class 2.0 tuned down so much on horsepower???

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

A-class comes with a paltry 188 HP 2.0T. That's more comparable to a 1.4T Cruze with 153 HP.

...why is the a-class 2.0 tuned down so much on horsepower???

Very legit critique there 

• Upvote 1

After seeing the hotrod version of the CT5 in camo with the daylight opening unwrapped, I think I'd like to see a rendering, photoshop of the car in profile without the c-pillar trim applique, and with a longer trunk.

Not much of a dogleg intrusion with this one: 

autowp.ru_cadillac_sedan_de_ville_21.jpg

Funny people mention the Kia Stinger.....car is sadly way better than what we are looking at right now.

For one, people enjoy driving it.......

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2019 at 5:52 PM, smk4565 said:

I don't know where all the hard plastics are on a Mercedes unless you are talking about a Sprinter or the wheel cladding on some SUVs, which isn't even on all of them, because most SUVs have body color fender guards.  But the E-class does compare very well to a Camry, just as the GLS compares very well to a Tahoe, so compare away, Mercedes wins those all day.

Then you don’t look very hard. One quick search on “Mercedes Benz C Class cheap plastics” yields plenty of results. 

A9EDA812-5344-41EB-9365-321F5CD2D22E.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

:roflmao:

• Upvote 1

Well I guess we'll see how the CT5 sells against the "low quality" C-class.  

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I’m not worried about that anyways, as I’m betting the CT5 will be an epic failure as a car with no direction, like the division that it is in.

I’ll simply say it over and over again- Caddy needs to stop trying to benchmark the other boys and do it’s own thing.

Whether it be floaters, hot rods, or designs of artwork on wheels, let it be something. Heck, even Lincoln got their stuff together......

• Upvote 1

• How do you specifically define 'epic failure' tho?

• The term 'benchmark' has been pushed toward being a 'bad thing' when ALL brands do it. A better term is called 'being competitive with market trends'. I guess I could also ask here; how do you define "benchmarking"?

8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Caddy needs to stop trying to benchmark the other boys and do it’s own thing

Absolutely! 

I think that is where Lincoln is kind of carving out their own little niche in just trying to be Lincoln instead of trying to directly compete with other vehicles. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Even the E-Class is squeaky plastic mercedes. Where is the World Class Quality or nothing at all?

• Haha 1