Drew Dowdell

Ford News: Ford Cuts V8 Production

17 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's just science. Turbo engines are superior at higher elevation. They do not lose the roughly 30% power reduction when a mile in the sky like a N/A engine will. 

That's only under full throttle where the loss is noticed.  At partial throttle, an NA engine is still operating at a vacuum (less than ambient air pressure). 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Add a hill or elevation to the mix and the turbo engine will put some distance between the two. 

Too use Drew's response...

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's what boost does. 

To use my response for forced induction...

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

A forced induction application on an engine should be considered as a COMPLIMENTARY power adder and helper...NOT as a REPLACEMENT...

Yeah...WW2 fighter aircraft used superchargers and nitrous to boost performance for high altitude flying, maximum take-off speed, to climb higher, faster at a more aggressive angle.  But nowhere did engineers then decide to use those applications to reduce engine size...

Technological advancements you say that allows for downsizing of engines...

SURE!!!

But that type of argument ALSO applies to V8s...

Whatever we do to 4 and 6 cylinder engines to reduce engine size and to maintain all aspects of efficiency and to comply with CAFE standards ALSO apply to V8 engines...non?

We have 1.5 liter 4 cylinder engines in heavy family hauling vehicles today...

Why not apply some of that magic technological wizardry to those 6 cylinder engines, downsize their displacement and voila!

You know...Ford and Mazda had a 2.5 liter V6 in the 1990s that produced 160 or so horsepower and about that much in torque...

You mean to tell me that advanced technology that we use today for 1.5 liter 4 bangers could not be used for  a 6 cylinder today? Minus the turbo BS in trying to replace displacement.

Displacement is just how much volume of air could pass through an engine. All we are doing with forced induction is just replacing volumetric air displacement with FORCED air into the engine...

In fact, MOPAR and Chevy actually CALCULATE their supercharger displacement on their 800 horsepower engines...

2.7 liter on the Demon...

2.380 liter on the Hellcat...

2.65 liters on the LT5 Corvette engine. 

V8s in the low 4 liter range could be made with 350 plus NATURALLY ASPIRATED horsepower nowadays, non?

We almost had THAT in the 1990s...

3.8 liter V8s making around 300 Naturally aspirated horses could NOT be beneficial? 

We could add turbos to those. non?  Just like we do with V6s with those displacement numbers today? 

My wife's little turbo on her Fusion is maybe what?  500cc.    That would be .5 liters...   That would make my wife's 1.6 liter into a 2.1 liter.

If you ask me...Id rather have Ford's 1990s 2.5 liter V6 that was in the Probe and the Mazda MX5 with todays new tech in my wife's Fusion minus the turbo shyte...

OK....Id turbo it up for BETTER 0-60 and 1/4 mile times...maybe...its a family sedan, not a sports car after all.  

Nobody says that turbos dont have benefits, they do...

But they arent replacement for displacement...  they just are power adders...to improve performance...and not necessarily efficiency either...

Like I said, I dont understand the why we needed to completely kill off the naturally aspirated engine along with real displacement. Alls we did was just replace it with another an external, more complicated displacement thingy...just to make our engines produce the SAME amount....for our daily driven, family haulin' vehicles...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 2

I would really have loved to know what an old GM 3800 Super Charged would have done in a modern vehicle with one of these 9 or 10 speed automatics.  I bet it would have driven great with all of that low end torque. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I would really have loved to know what an old GM 3800 Super Charged would have done in a modern vehicle with one of these 9 or 10 speed automatics.  I bet it would have driven great with all of that low end torque. 

I've said that before as well. I don't think the 90's/early 00's engines were bad but they were all matched to the sloppy 4spd autos. I think even a modern 6spd auto would wake those vehicles up. 

• Upvote 3

There is still no substitute for displacement.  That goes double for torque.  Ditching cylinders for turbocharged 4s is not terribly wise in my view.  What GM and Ford need are torque-biased V6 engines period.  No need to emulate Honda and their relatively weak sixes.

51 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's only under full throttle where the loss is noticed.  At partial throttle, an NA engine is still operating at a vacuum (less than ambient air pressure). 

It isn't uncommon to use full throttle climbing mountain passes to simply maintain 60mph. Using 75% throttle or more going uphill is more the norm rather than the anomaly

Flat surfaces, a completely different story. . 

The bottom line is the only reason small displacement turbo engines have become so popular is because manufacturers are trying to meet EPA regulations. Now of course they can market it a 3.5 l turbo engine as more powerful than a V8.  But that's only marketing.  They can also market a 3.5 as more fuel efficient than a V8.  But when the engines are under a load, towing for example, many people in the know realize that eeficiency marketing is a ploy for small turbo engines.  Are there benefits to forced induction. Yes. Are they much more complicated and more prone to failure in somem cases, yes.  Are they more expensive to develop and build yes.  

If it weren't for trying to meet regulations than any maker could develop a 20 liter turbo V8.  All the benefits of large displacement, and all the benefits of turbo.  Automakers are playing a balancing act between economy and power.  Throw in emissions regulations on top of that.  

Back to the title of this thread. Ford cuts V8 production.  They're doing it to meet regulations, not because that's what the market is clamoring for.  They boast about how many EcoBoost engines are sold in trucks vs. V8 engines.  But like I said before you can't buy what isn't offered.  And there are enough people that don't realize you can have Eco or boost but not both.  So ford can slap a sticker on the window of an EcoBoost pickup with great MPG ratings.  And the first time someone toes a good load with that EcoBoost they realize a V8 is more efficient.  

You have to understand what you're going to be using the vehicle for, and how they different technologies work.

Many people do realize how these technologies work, many people do not.  So I'll say again, it's meeting regulations and marketing.

Okay I'll stop ranting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

@Scout Great post and your right. @dwightlooi posted a great read about NA versus induction and the pros and cons and I think many of us here know that you can do much with a small forced inducted motor, does not mean it will be as efficient and power full as a proper V8.

• Upvote 1

You most certainly can have eco and boost just not at the same exact second. But spread 5 seconds apart I can be making gobs more torque at 2500rpm than a N/A counterpart or set your cruise control and basically run a n/a small engine. Look both characteristics only seconds apart. 

15 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You most certainly can have eco and boost just not at the same exact second. But spread 5 seconds apart I can be making gobs more torque at 2500rpm than a N/A counterpart or set your cruise control and basically run a n/a small engine. Look both characteristics only seconds apart. 

I suppose I did not specify when I said Eco and boost but not both.  But I was also talking about under heavy load and didn't think I needed to.  I was assuming most people reading these forms kind of already knew and I was rehashing something.  I guess I should not assume.  

I also mentioned different technologies and how they work.  And knowing your needs versus those technologies.  which is why you do not see class 8 tractor trailers going down the roads moving 80,000 pounds using Small engines buzzing their little hearts out. 

• Upvote 3

Well when a vast majority of people just buy what's on the lot instead of ordering exactly what they want... and with FoMoCo likely "guiding" dealers to order more EB trucks, of course it's going to happen (waning V8 "demand").

I would much sooner choose an NA engine over a turbocharged one, and in the Ford, the 3.3L is a dog... the only other alternative is... the good ol' 5.0.

I believe ocnblue and Drew are confirming my first post. 

You can't buy what you can't find.

Then there is my second Post in this thread which  (sort of ) explains that marketing has bamboozled so many people.  

I know I did not specify exactly how marketing has bamboozled so many.  But I'm going to assume that in these forms people understand.  

But then again there seem to be a lot of people who buy trucks based on "real people" advertising. 

I suppose the sad thing is that there are so many people going to buy a truck and getting duped by a *"'!/" Salesman.

• Upvote 4

On 5/9/2019 at 10:34 AM, Scout said:

I wonder what the take rate for V8 trucks would be if they weren't practically a spacial order option these days.  The last time I was at my local ford dealer finding a new V8 truck was like where's Waldo.  When people go shopping they cant buy what isn't available.  The take rate for V8s may be higher if Ford actually made them more available IMO.  I just did a quick search, of the sea of new trucks at a dealer by me there is 4 with the 5.0.   You cant buy what you cant find.  

Guess your area is more conservative on what they think will sell. 50 mile circle around my house here we have 1,602 V6 F150's and 627 V8 F150's.

image.png

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Guess your area is more conservative on what they think will sell. 50 mile circle around my house here we have 1,602 V6 F150's and 627 V8 F150's.

image.png

My quick math off the top of my head says that's about one out of three. 

Now without actually reading the link you posted I'm wondering how desirable the one of three trucks with a V8 are to the average yuppie. 

Now take that average yuppie / soccer mom / Joe blow that wanys a good family truckster and put him in front of a salesman.  Then consider Ford isn't offering a V8 in much that's not "special order" or high-end trim. 

Most people aren't living at 5,000 feet. But a Ford 2.7 can still out tow a GM 5.3 even at Sea leavel.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Potluck said:

Most people aren't living at 5,000 feet. But a Ford 2.7 can still out tow a GM 5.3 even at Sea leavel.

mmmmmm....yeah....

And most people dont really need to tow that much shyte either...

The point you wanna make other than trolling?

I really don't think the 2.7 is getting considered by anyone towing substantial lodes on a regular basis. 

I'm also confused about how the 2.7 can out tow the 5.3.  

44 minutes ago, Potluck said:

You should elaborate because there is definitely something not adding up. 

Point is that a turbo v6 is better than most naturally fed V8s. F150 is proving that regularly.

I know no one is seeking out a 2 7 to tow with, but they still could and do it better than a gm 5.3, and still get better gas mileage when they aren't towing.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I dunno, the 5.3 gets pretty good gas mileage because it can act as a 4-cylinder on the highway using AFM. I've gotten 22mpg out of a heavy Suburban with that setup. 

22 hours ago, Potluck said:

Are you going to explain this one?  I'm still curious.  You threw the bait out there and I swam by it.  I haven't decided if I'm actually going to take the bait because I have a funny feeling it was troll bait.  That or you honestly believe in your heart that the 2.7 can out tow the 5.3.  And in that case it's an entirely different discussion.

22 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Math?

The 2.7 is listed as having 7600lbs towing capacity on the Ford website.  The 5.3 is listed as 6700lbs.  7600 > 6700.

That's strange.  My findings include the 

Chevy 4.3 rated at 7400    7400>6700 you put in for the 5.3

Chevy 5.3 rated at 11,100  so the 5.3 11,100>Ford7600

Ford 2.7 max tow 8100.  Still 5.3 at 11,100> than 2.7 at 8100.

And that brings me back to,

But a Ford 2.7 can still out tow a GM 5.3 even at Sea leavel.

Now that there are so many numbers to compare maybe someone can explain it to me.  Am I not seeing something? 

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

6700 is what comes up for the 5.3.   Listed as 2019 Silverado RST Double Cab 4WD.   Maybe other numbers for different configurations.  

Different configurations do have a big effect on tow ratings.  I just wanted Potluck to explain how "the 2.7 can out tow the 5.3".  Because of our conversation I even provided the maximum 2.7 tow rating for him.  

Posted (edited)

6700 is what comes up for the 5.3.   Listed as 2019 Silverado RST Double Cab 4WD.

That's incorrect. Here's the 2019 Silverado 1500 towing guide, see page 11.
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/shopping-tools/download-catalog/02-pdf/2019-chevrolet-trailering-guide.pdf

6700 lbs is the 2.7L turbo 4 rating on the double cab 4x4- the lowest possible rating of any SIlverado. Even the 4.3L V6 is rated higher.

The 5.3L ranges between 9400 and 11,600 lbs.

It's simple logic.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 11:14 AM, Potluck said:

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

That's incorrect. Here's the 2019 Silverado 1500 towing guide, see page 11.
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/shopping-tools/download-catalog/02-pdf/2019-chevrolet-trailering-guide.pdf

6700 lbs is the 2.7L turbo 4 rating on the double cab 4x4- the lowest possible rating of any SIlverado. Even the 4.3L V6 is rated higher.

The 5.3L ranges between 9400 and 11,600 lbs.

I already knew the answer before I posted anything.  I just wondered if Potluck wanted to keep digging that hole.  🍻

• Haha 1