Drew Dowdell

Jeep News: Jeep Testing Benz Diesel in Compass

Jeep is rumored to be testing a Mercedes-Benz supplied 2.0 liter Turbo-Diesel in 14 test vehicles in the Detroit, Michigan area. However, it is unlikely that such a vehicle would be sold in the U.S. The most likely scenario is that this is testing for the European and Asian markets.

The Compasses were converted by an independent supplier for FCA and the suspected engine of choice is the Mercedes-Benz OM654 2.0 diesel producing 192 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque. The engine was released in 2016 for the E-Class, but the engine was designed to be mounted in transverse applications as well. 

In the U.S., the Compass is only sold with a 2.4 liter gasoline engine.  In Europe, the Compass comes with a two different 1.4-liter gasoline engines (140 hp an 170hp), two 2.0-liter diesel engines (140 hp and 170 hp), and a 1.6-liter diesel engine (120 hp). Which engine you can get largely depends on if the car is 4x4 or not. 

GM currently sells its compact crossovers with a 1.6-liter turbo diesel, and Mazda finally unveiled their diesel CX-5. We think that this diesel Compass would be a good fit in the U.S. and should FCA be reading this, please bring it here.

View full article

• Like 1

Should find some buyers in the coal huffing West Virgina and surrounding state. :P

• Downvote 1

Just now, dfelt said:

Should find some buyers in the coal huffing West Virgina and surrounding state. :P

This Benz diesel is supposed to be very clean... assuming they didn't cheat with software. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Benz doesn’t think they can sell Benz diesels here, not sure why FCA wants to make a go of it.  I am sure Mercedes would be happy to sell them engines though, I think their diesel sales in Europe are down, there is probably some factory capacity available.

Posted (edited)

The existing diesel Compass in Europe--I wonder if that is a VM engine like other Fiat diesel models? Speaking of Jeep Compasses in Europe, I was watching a British crime drama last week and a couple of the detectives drove a black Compass.   (Other detectives had Mondeos, and there were Ford Ecosport police cars). 

Edited by Robert Hall

Posted (edited)

I would seriously consider one.  There are strong, genuine benefits to diesel engines.  Real power for real people of the everyday persuasion.  And the Jeep brand is a perfect fit.

olds what are you doing now?  Stalking?

Edited by ocnblu
  • Downvote 2

Well...you down voted a couple of posts without explanation (to other posters). Assuming you did not like their post for whatever reason.

I did the same thing to yours. I did not like your post, so I down voted...

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Report personal attacks, don't quote them.

Posted (edited)

Now now boys...make nice.. back on topic, it is interesting to see another US diesel variant from Jeep. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

The only time a downvote is any of your concern is if it pertains to a post of yours.  Settle yourself.

West Virginia, mountain mama, take me home, country roads...

• Downvote 2

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

I am sure the Duramax Colorado sells pretty well in "West Virgina" (sic) and the other 49 states of this great country.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

I am sure the Duramax Colorado sells pretty well in "West Virgina" (sic) and the other 49 states of this great country.

Nope, west coast, did a search and found a whole 43 across the 3 west states for the toxic diesel compared to 388 gas.

Yet that is in comparison to the whole country which has 2,979 diesel Colorado's compared to 59,673 gas versions across our country according to auto trader.

I say Diesel is not that big of demand.

You realize that is units for sale, not units already in the hands of owners, right?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

You realize that is units for sale, not units already in the hands of owners, right?

Yup, not much diesel compared to gas for sale. Wish I could find an easy quick way to see the comparison of diesel registration to gas and EV. One site has the info but not gonna pay thousands to read it. :P 

Posted (edited)

Outside of the SuperDuty/HeavyDuty type truck market, I can't imagine there is much consumer demand for diesels anymore..  Actual sales are probably a small percentage of the total of any model that has a diesel option, outside of the heavy duty niche.   Outside of the heavy duty niche and maybe light trucks, it's no longer a growth market for diesels in the US..can't see their sales increasing. 

Edited by Robert Hall

GM has knocked their diesel crossovers to FWD only, AWD is no longer going to be offered in a diesel.

Just one step closer to death. I imagine the diesel doesn't make it past the next refresh. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

GM has knocked their diesel crossovers to FWD only, AWD is no longer going to be offered in a diesel.

Just one step closer to death. I imagine the diesel doesn't make it past the next refresh. 

Interesting...according to Wikipedia, the current generation Equinox and Terrain are available w/ diesels, but I don't recall ever hearing about them...must be pretty low volume.

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

This is the one place that AWD with Diesel should excel, better fuel efficiency in a power train that needs torque and HP with MPG.

Diesel in FWD only makes no sense to me.

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

This is the one place that AWD with Diesel should excel, better fuel efficiency in a power train that needs torque and HP with MPG.

Diesel in FWD only makes no sense to me.

I think they must have such a low take rate that they're simplifying things down until they kill it. 

• Thanks 1