NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham w/ 50k miles by Specialty Motor Cars

This is lovely, looks just like the one my Grandpa had except for the interior which was a cherry interior compared to the shale this one has. Awesome! I love it!!!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Who thinks Cadillac should be building a 2019 generation of this instead of the CT6?

[BTW - not me.]

Edited by balthazar

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Who thinks Cadillac should be building a 2019 generation of this instead of the CT6?

[BTW - not me.]

I believe we need BOTH!

There are the German design focused customer that want a track sedan but from an American Company and then there are those folks that want a Float sedan of Lazy Boy style of driving.

I honestly can see the CT6 next to a Brougham on the lot.

I know that I would like to have the size with the ability to tune the suspension based on my driving mood for the day or time. Plus I just love a trunk that can hold 4-6 bodies! ;) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

[BTW - not me.]

I think fender skirts should make a comeback. 

004.jpg

and an extended length CT6 with a bigger trunk and even posher interior should absolutely be called Fleetwood. 

• Upvote 2

I wouldnt mind the market accepting these types of rides again.  I would buy one...maybe.

On a side note,  doesnt Cadillac already offer a modern version of this type of vehicle already?  In the form of a Cadillac Escalade ESV

Both are very similar in conception too.

Body on frame.   Both are huge and long...

1994 Fleetwood

Length 225.1 inches

Width 78 inches

Wheelbase 121.5

Weight 4500 lbs

2019 Cadillac Escalade and (Escalade  ESV) 2WD

Length 203.9 inches (224.3 inches)

Width  80.5 inches (80.5  inches)

Wheelbase  116 inches (130 inches)

Weight 5578 lbs(5800 lbs)

Both Escalade versions weigh more because truck based versus car. Plus, all the added modern safety stuff and modern electronics for our attention deficit disorder ways...

Maybe even the ride is similar. I never rid in an Escalade before. But Im assuming the ESV is more of a floatiy ride than a sporty one. maybe not as floaty as that Fleetwood...but a Fleetwood needed not be that floaty either. The Chevrolet Impala SS was more taut than a Caprice, right?  Its just suspension tuning at this point, right? 

Anyway...

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

and an extended length CT6 with a bigger trunk and even posher interior should absolutely be called Fleetwood. 

All to say that a "Fleetwood" version of the CT6 to compliment the Escalade wouldnt be that bad of an idea.  After all, the (Deville)DTS and later XTS did have their loyal following after the Fleetwood went away.   

American luxury is what that is. And I think there could be a comeback for it. After all, it seems like spirited, enthusiastic driving is slowly going away...

I have been on a ranting mission as of late promoting big ass Cadillacs so this would be my calling card, right? 

• Upvote 2

@oldshurst442 Escalades are the SS you speak of, they are very drivable in an aggressive way, I know from personal experience! :P The seats are so comfy in mine, easy to sleep in.

Cadillac should be building stuff with the spirit of this car in that is roomy and comfortable with ride quality.  People hardly buy 200 inch long sedans now, let alone 225 inch, so they couldn't build vehicles this big.  But they could make stuff like CT4 or CT5 focus on room and ride comfort and a more pampering experience rather than razor edge handling, because the wanna be Nurburgringers are going to buy a German car anyway.

Not only should the CT6 turn into the Fleetwood with more luxury, but they should make an Eldorado coupe that is about CT5 in size but more luxurious and throw some tail fins on there if they want to.   The current Cadillac line up is passionless.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

People are buying the CT6 at a decent clip, and it's 206" long.
I could see an extended deck CT6, as a 'CT7', like the old 'Park Avenue/Town Sedan Cadillac of the late 50s-early 60s that had a shorter deck; in this case it'd be a longer deck. Or, kinda like a different roofline on an audi A8 becomes an A7.

Working blade edge fenders in with Cadillac's signature vertical lighting could be really cool and totally unique from the worn bars of soap all the other lux sedans are. Cadillacs are the only sedans you can recognize coming at you from a long ways off, day or night.

• Upvote 2

Large sedan isn’t a growth segment, it is dying.  But Cadillac could put some of those old school American luxury traits into a crossover, that is what Lincoln is doing.

24 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Large sedan isn’t a growth segment, it is dying.  But Cadillac could put some of those old school American luxury traits into a crossover, that is what Lincoln is doing.

I am going to disagree with you. I actually discovered today in talking to those folks in our automotive section of business for tech that many have CUV/SUV, but they went that way due to the lack of space in cars. Many told me if they had a car that had a trunk big enough to store stuff in or move stuff in they would rather have a car. 

I found this very surprising, but on looking at the group of people most are in the 5'8" tall section so they have to step up into a CUV/SUV. I think a car that sits a bit higher, but not tall like a CUV with a proper trunk would sell and in the Luxury segment, I can see a valid business case for an extended CT6 or as I called it a Fleetwood XL to go with a regular Fleetwood and an Eldorado which would be the Two Door version in both Coupe and Convertible.

• Upvote 1

I can see a car like this being a success at Cadillac!

Fleetwood_Concept.jpg

Found this Concept drawing, I really like.

The Cadillac d'Elegance

d-elegance_Concept.jpg

See the source image

• Like 2

I will say this was sexy, the 2016 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 concept.

I will say it is an interesting read "http://www.auto-reviewz.com/2016-cadillac-fleetwood-75-review-and-specs/"

Yet as @balthazar has stated, Cadillac like Mercedes has built some amazing exciting concepts and yet not built them as production.

2016-Cadillac-Fleetwood-75-review.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

When my brother took his GTO motor to get rebuild, he put it in the trunk of my ‘64 Catalina. I’ve long felt/agree that a dwindling supply of decent sized cars, in addition to substandard towing abilities push more & more folks into trucks/SUVs.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, balthazar said:

When my brother took his GTO motor to get rebuild, he put it in the trunk of my ‘64 Catalina. I’ve long felt/agree that a dwindling supply of decent sized cars, in addition to substandard towing abilities push more & more folks into trucks/SUVs.

Totally agree, we used to tow our 24ft boat with the family station wagon. Cars cannot do what they did in the 70's.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dfelt said:

I actually discovered today in talking to those folks in our automotive section of business for tech that many have CUV/SUV, but they went that way due to the lack of space in cars. Many told me if they had a car that had a trunk big enough to store stuff in or move stuff in they would rather have a car. 

36 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I’ve long felt/agree that a dwindling supply of decent sized cars, in addition to substandard towing abilities push more & more folks into trucks/SUVs.

20 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Cars cannot do what they did in the 70's.

I would assume that would be the effects of the wonderful CAFE standards of the 1970s that pushed the Big 3 to downsize their vehicles.  To downsize and downgrade engine sizes and horsepower (along with torque as one effects the other) and finally, the 1980s came along and FWD to further the CAFE issue, along with marketing to sell us FWD on the merit that smaller cars equal more interior room for passenger because of all the inherent qualities of transverse  small engines that power the front wheels.

But then...the pick-up trucks and BOF SUVs derived from them did not have to deal with those issues the cars did, so the pick-up trucks and the SUVs derived from them took over the big American BOF sedan scene...

And while the Caprice did try to make the best of it, and Ford kept  the Crown Vic alive and did their best to make it survive, the Big 3 pick-up trucks just do what the old guard BOF cars did all these decades before...is keep America rolling!

And although I dont see myself ever buying a big ole American pick-up truck or Tahoe and Expedition...because I see them trucks as Uncle Jessie (I aint no farmer), Im more like Bo and Luke Duke (delinquent muscle car guy ), or I can even be the incredulous, very questionable rich guy Boss Hogg, (big ass Cadillac) (but not, because Im more of an Oldsmobile/Pontiac/higher end Chevy Impala SS/lower end Chrysler and some types of Buicks kinda guy, and not really 1%er rich mack daddy Caddy kinda guy) I do really understand and APPRECIATE and LOVE the fact that Americana concerning the big ole American car is definitely not dead!

Edited by oldshurst442

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

I am going to disagree with you. I actually discovered today in talking to those folks in our automotive section of business for tech that many have CUV/SUV, but they went that way due to the lack of space in cars. Many told me if they had a car that had a trunk big enough to store stuff in or move stuff in they would rather have a car. 

I found this very surprising, but on looking at the group of people most are in the 5'8" tall section so they have to step up into a CUV/SUV. I think a car that sits a bit higher, but not tall like a CUV with a proper trunk would sell and in the Luxury segment, I can see a valid business case for an extended CT6 or as I called it a Fleetwood XL to go with a regular Fleetwood and an Eldorado which would be the Two Door version in both Coupe and Convertible.

The RAV4 outsells the Avalon 10 to 1 and the Avalon is larger and has more space in it.  Granted the Avalon costs more but not by that much.  Camry is bigger than a RAV4 too and Rav outsells it for the same money.  

I don’t like Crossovers but Cadillac could price the CT5 at $25k and the Equinox would outsell it by a country mile solely because it is a crossover.

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Totally agree, we used to tow our 24ft boat with the family station wagon. Cars cannot do what they did in the 70's.

Nor can most crossovers tow much.  The FWD ones can’t pull more than 3,000 lbs in most cases because once you put weight in back it lifts the front wheels off the ground.  

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The RAV4 outsells the Avalon 10 to 1 and the Avalon is larger and has more space in it.  Granted the Avalon costs more but not by that much.  Camry is bigger than a RAV4 too and Rav outsells it for the same money.  

I don’t like Crossovers but Cadillac could price the CT5 at $25k and the Equinox would outsell it by a country mile solely because it is a crossover.

Nor can most crossovers tow much.  The FWD ones can’t pull more than 3,000 lbs in most cases because once you put weight in back it lifts the front wheels off the ground.  

You don't know what tongue weight is then. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You don't know what tongue weight is then. 

Most of the FWD versions of crossovers tow less than the AWD which is solely because of needing traction on rear wheels.  Where as some Rear drive versions of vehicles tow more than the 4wd counter part.  But we still live in a world where full size SUVs like Traverse, Telluride, Pilot, etc tow a max weight less than a 90s Fleetwood.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The Avalon starts at $35K+ while the RAV4 starts at $25K+. I don’t know what world in which you’re living but that is a difference of considerably more than “not by much”. 

Edited by surreal1272

13 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The Avalon starts at $35K+ while the RAV4 starts at $25K+. I don’t know what world in which you’re living but that is a difference of considerably more than “not by much”. 

Well a 3-series costs the same as an Avalon and sells better if you prefer that comparison.  There is no such thing as a high selling full size sedan.  I remember when GM easily sold over 100,000 Lesabres a year, and now Buick is lucky to sell 25,000 Lacrosse and they are just giving up on it totally.  

Taurus, Impala, XTS, Lacrosse getting killed isn't by some mistake, rumor is the 300 is going away in a year to two.  And how much longer do the Maxima and Avalon have, those are on borrowed time.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Well a 3-series costs the same as an Avalon and sells better if you prefer that comparison.  There is no such thing as a high selling full size sedan.  I remember when GM easily sold over 100,000 Lesabres a year, and now Buick is lucky to sell 25,000 Lacrosse and they are just giving up on it totally.  

Taurus, Impala, XTS, Lacrosse getting killed isn't by some mistake, rumor is the 300 is going away in a year to two.  And how much longer do the Maxima and Avalon have, those are on borrowed time.

Good grief. Way to sidestep the fact that you made a baseless comparison between two vehicles with a $10K price difference. Comparing a compact size 3 series to a full size car of any kind is just as half baked as the former comparison. 

As for the other models being cut, you should add all the ones that Mercedes is getting ready to sever from existence for, and get this, crappy sales and nameplate redundancy. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Like 1