Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Debuts 2021 Trailblazer

Chevy unveiled the 2021 Trailblazer today, filling a space between the Chevrolet Trax and Equinox in the lineup.  This follows the recent release of the Buick Encore GX that fills a similar but more premium space. 

Picking up on styling from the larger Blazer and the Camaro, the Trailblazer takes an aggressive, sporty posture. Yes, there also will be an RS version, but no word yet on what powertrains will be available. 

Chevy is finally going to start offering active safety features as standard, something the competition started doing a few years ago. The standard active safety features are Front Pedestrian Braking, Automatic Emergency Braking and Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning.  Optional will be Adaptive Cruise Control - Camera, Rear Park Assist and a High Definition Rear Vision Camera.

The 2021 Trailblazer will enter dealerships in early 2020. 

2021-Chevrolet-TrailblazerRS-02.jpg

View full article

Really GM? Can’t save that name for a RWD SUV? 

At at least Ford had good sense to put the Explorer back on a RWD platform and will do the same with the Bronco. 

For the record, this is not a knock on the CUV itself. It’s just the wrong name for it. The profile does scream Nissan Kicks though. Not sure that’s a good thing. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

It looks like a Volvo XC40 or that little Hyundai, I am over the "floating roof" already.  Otherwise it looks fine, looks like a Blazer/Camaro for less money, looks much better than a Traxx.

To me "Trailblazer" is better than "Blazer" so I don't know why they wasted the Trailblazer name here.  Probably should have called this the Tracker.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

It looks like a Volvo XC40 or that little Hyundai, I am over the "floating roof" already.  Otherwise it looks fine, looks like a Blazer/Camaro for less money, looks much better than a Traxx.

To me "Trailblazer" is better than "Blazer" so I don't know why they wasted the Trailblazer name here.  Probably should have called this the Tracker.

Tracker would have been a far better name for this CUV but with the name “Trax” already taken, it may create some confusion for some folks. Still better than “Trailblazer”. 

• Agree 1

I do not care what it's called, I think it's a sweet little machine for everyday usage, with a little pizazz thrown in.  I just hope they have a nicer variety of colors available v. the Blazer.

Since Chevy is pitching the Blazer as "the Camaro of SUVs", I think they should have the same colors available on both vehicles.  That would be a strong but subtle way to tie them together... and it might lead to households buying "his & hers" Blazer and Camaro in matching colors.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Matt 967 said:

I love the look of this and the Blazer. I agree not the best names but it is 2019!  Do we know if there will be a new Trax/Tracker coming along too?  Thx 

I would say almost certainly a new Trax is coming if a new Encore is coming (which we know the second part is true)

Weird to me that they are calling the shorter (of the two small Buicks shown in China) Buick the Encore GX in America and saying it will not replace the Encore...  They are doing the same with the Chevys.  Both Buick and Chevrolet have shown longer versions of these with moderately different styling and entirely different names in Chevy's case (Tracker and Trailblazer).

29 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Tracker would have been a far better name for this CUV but with the name “Trax” already taken, it may create some confusion for some folks. Still better than “Trailblazer”. 

I don't think they are worried about confusion when they have the Encore and Encore GX as 2 difference vehicles.  I would have used Tracker here.  Saved Trailblazer for a Jeep Wrangler/Ford Bronco competitor.

• Agree 1

I too agree there is confusion or weirdness calling this ‘trailblazer’ but make no mistake this makes sense to offer this line here. It means they can keep selling the trax at cheaper prices and it remains the de facto small Chevy. Essentially the trax fills the sonic / Cruze void. The equinox will need to upsize a bit and even after only two years is already tired in the market. The Hyundai kona is storming the market so trailblazer is wanting in on this emerging niche. The compact class like equinox and RAV4 is probably getting too expensive for first time buyers so this makes sense to add this in between for those that think trax is too small. 

I have zero issue with them reusing the name but it's awkward on the size of vehicle they chose to use for it...

I almost feel like they should have done what Ford is doing with the next Escape/Baby Bronco and the Trailblazer name should be used on an off-road version of the Equinox or Blazer. Yeah, FWD based.. but they could make it work if they made it its own model. If Jeep can make off-roady FWD CUVs, GM can as well. 

I mean the name "Trail-Blazer" doesn't sound like the name of a Camaro-inspired, FWD CUV with 4 inches of ground clearance and no form of locking differentials(I know that wasn't stated but let's be honest...) 

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Matt 967 said:

I love the look of this and the Blazer. I agree not the best names but it is 2019!  Do we know if there will be a new Trax/Tracker coming along too?  Thx 

Tracker would have been an appropriate name for this, save the Trailblazer for something more trail worthy.

• Agree 4

It is confusing if you recall how Chevy's midsize SUVs were 15 years ago--the Blazer was the small-midsize S10 based SUV, and the TrailBlazer was the larger midsize GMT360 SUV.   Now Blazer is a larger CUV than the TrailBlazer.   Makes no sense, IMO.  Tracker would have been a better name for this.

• Agree 3

To all the folk complaining about the name of this little new CUV.

Ya'll preferred if it was called the Chevrolet  ZX71?

Just be glad it has an honest to goodness WORD as a name.  

As long as its a word or noun or verb that we can find in any language DICTIONARY...we good, dudes!!!

But that is this reality that we have come to witness in 2019. Bemoan an actual word as a name for a vehicle when alphanumerics have drowned us, but dont bitch about yet another deadly disease to inflict humanity in the form yet another :censored:  crossover.

• Haha 2

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

To all the folk complaining about the name of this little new CUV.

Ya'll preferred if it was called the Chevrolet  ZX71?

Just be glad it has an honest to goodness WORD as a name.  

As long as its a word or noun or verb that we can find in any language DICTIONARY...we good, dudes!!!

But that is this reality that we have come to witness in 2019. Bemoan an actual word as a name for a vehicle when alphanumerics have drowned us, but dont bitch about yet another deadly disease to inflict humanity in the form yet another :censored:  crossover.

Well the vehicle itself is just another decent small CUV in a market full of them, not interesting, nothing to set it apart.  The choice of model name is a more interesting topic of discussion :).

OK...Ill play this game...

I get it.  Nobody LUVs this name. Chevrolet did not EXPRESS  the proper name structure for it.  It has the wrong SPARK with some of you. It feels like a KODIAK eating you alive  eh? Its like a TOP KICK to the balls, right?

It seems Chevrolet VENTURE(D) and TRAVERSE(D) into an AVALANCHE of dog poop.  What can we do?  Give Chevrolet a CITATION of some sort?  What would that accomplish?  I know, it does not CAPTIVA(TE) the essence of Chevy's history.  

I get your passion for the name structure. You folk refuse to take a CAVALIER approach to all of this. Ya'll should form a TASK FORCE,  take a  BERETTA  to it  and put it out of its misery. Then take all its parts and ship them  back all over the work, to ORLANDO, COLORADO, MALIBU, BEL AIR, MONTE CARLO, CORSICA so we never LUMINA(TE) this garbage ever again.    Post your ENDEAVORS (wrong brand) on Facebook or Instagram in a way that rivals a NOVA and become instant CELEBRIT(Y)IES... 

But alas.  There is no SILVER(ADO)  linen in this cloud of yours... but a new EQUINOX shall arrive anyway, and its written in COBALT, that this new SUPER SPORT(Y) CUV will forever be known in this EL CAMINO world, that this CUV will forever be known as the TRAILBLAZER!!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

Tracker would have made the most sense, as they previously in the US had a subcompact CUV named Tracker.   TrailBlazer has only previously been used on midsize BOF SUVs, so this is an inappropriate usage of a past name.     But the mindless masses that buy such CUVs won't notice or care, so it's a moot point. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

But the mindless masses that buy such CUVs won't notice or care, so it's a moot point. 

That, and...does anybody remember the Tracker anyway?  

And, what does a Tracker do that is so special?  As the former model and as a name.

As the vehicle named Tracker, it was a good offroader. This new CUV will be far removed from that. So...not so much different then Trailblazer as a name for it as there are discrepancies with model identities with both names...

As a name...maybe in 2019...TRACKER for a vehicle name may not be so good.

With all the hacking, spyware, Russian Collusion election tampering, WIKILEAKS/Cambridge Analytica/Facebook privacy scandals,  Big Brother keeping an eye on us...Tracker maybe the wrong name for THIS generation...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

I was thinking of Tracker only in the sense of product consistency...same issue w/ the usage of Blazer.  Inconsistent usage of past names. Imagine if Chevy renamed the Sonic, and called it Monte Carlo.  Or rename the Trax as Caprice.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I could see what you are saying. What everybody else is saying.

The first post I made in this thread is actually a serious post as it truly represents of how I feel about yet another CUV, and how I really dont mind the name because Im thankful its not yet another alphanumeric, but Im really down on the fact that we have yet another crossover in the marketplace.  

The other posts are just made in jest as I like to have fun sometimes.  But there is still that element of truth to my posts as yes I troll, but its not full blown trolling as my posts are honest. 

But yeah, Trailblazer or on the other one, the Blazer, are not fitting names to these new CUVs as they dont fit their historical backround, nor are a good representation of what the actual names stand for in regards to what the new models do...

But...Tracker is not a good representation for this new CUV either. No...not because of privacy scandals...

But because Tracker also seems to be of an adventurous name...and this new CUV will not be that.  Unless we think about GPS tracking devices to track are whereabouts going from Starbucks to  Wallmart   (this is 2019)  to track where our UBER EATS driver is at so we could eat and not starve to death...

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

There is room to add a GMC variant and a Cadillac variant (XT3?).  Infinite CUVs...

BMW has an X8 in the works, (a 3 row crossover coupe I would assume) so there is no reason Cadillac can’t go XT1 through XT9.  Other than the next recession that hits car sales and wipes all these overpriced crossovers out.

57 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Once the whole CUV fad crashes and burns, it will be interesting to see what GM comes up with to move forward. 

When crossovers are as cool as minivans were in 2010, they will he discount them left and right and move back to sedans or some autonomous Pod with screens in it instead of windows.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

BMW has an X8 in the works, (a 3 row crossover coupe I would assume) so there is no reason Cadillac can’t go XT1 through XT9.  Other than the next recession that hits car sales and wipes all these overpriced crossovers out.

Yes, and they can do in-betweeners like XT1.5, XT2.5, XT3.5, etc up to XT8.5.    It's niches between niches.

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Unless we think about GPS tracking devices to track are whereabouts going from Starbucks to  Wallmart   (this is 2019)  to track where our UBER EATS driver is at so we could eat and not starve to death...

This is funny...as I type this I'm watching the DoorDash (same idea as Uber Eats) app on my phone, my driver is 5 min out w/ my Chicken 65 and Naan from a nearby Indian place I like...watching the little car icon move along the streets on the app...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 2

Yeah

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Anything that doesn't have the word "Trail" in the name would be more appropriate.

Exactly.  Trail implies off road capability.   Like Jeep Trailhawk trims. 

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

BMW has an X8 in the works, (a 3 row crossover coupe I would assume)

You have no idea how much I hate this idea. 

Just now, Robert Hall said:

Yeah

Exactly.  Trail implies off road capability.   Like Jeep Trailhawk trims. 

step brothers yep GIF

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's going to take more than a decade for that to happen. 

Active Life Style has replaced the car, sit around, eat, watch TV and chat with friends and neighbors. As such I do not see the CUV/SUV fad going away any time soon if ever.

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Active Life Style has replaced the car, sit around, eat, watch TV and chat with friends and neighbors. As such I do not see the CUV/SUV fad going away any time soon if ever.

No it hasn't.  People just want to pretend that it has. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No it hasn't.  People just want to pretend that it has. 

OK, in the PNW, it has. Sorry to all the couch potatoes out there. ;) :P 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I could see what you are saying. What everybody else is saying.

The first post I made in this thread is actually a serious post as it truly represents of how I feel about yet another CUV, and how I really dont mind the name because Im thankful its not yet another alphanumeric, but Im really down on the fact that we have yet another crossover in the marketplace.  

The other posts are just made in jest as I like to have fun sometimes.  But there is still that element of truth to my posts as yes I troll, but its not full blown trolling as my posts are honest. 

But yeah, Trailblazer or on the other one, the Blazer, are not fitting names to these new CUVs as they dont fit their historical backround, nor are a good representation of what the actual names stand for in regards to what the new models do...

But...Tracker is not a good representation for this new CUV either. No...not because of privacy scandals...

But because Tracker also seems to be of an adventurous name...and this new CUV will not be that.  Unless we think about GPS tracking devices to track are whereabouts going from Starbucks to  Wallmart   (this is 2019)  to track where our UBER EATS driver is at so we could eat and not starve to death...

As a former three year owner of a Tracker in the 90s, I can tell you that there was nothing “adventurous” about it unless you count fighting crosswinds on the interstate as an “adventure”. The name would have be better suited for this CUV than the name “Trailblazer” by a country mile. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

As a former three year owner of a Tracker in the 90s, I can tell you that there was nothing “adventurous” about it unless you count fighting crosswinds on the interstate as an “adventure”. The name would have be better suited for this CUV than the name “Trailblazer” by a country mile. 

We know that, but GM disagreed for some reason.

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

We know that, but GM disagreed for some reason.

GM is drunk and maybe that’s why they won’t go back to names for Cadillac. They can’t even get the Chevy names right. They would end up renaming the XT4 into the El Dorado or Fleetwood DeVille. It makes no sense.