Drew Dowdell

Jaguar News: Jaguar XJ Uses Another of its Nine Lives

The Sedan Apocalypse continues. Jaguar has confirmed via a spokesperson that the current Jaguar XJ will end production this summer.   However, that is just one of the big cat's nine lives.  Rumor has it that the XJ nameplate will rise again on a new car, possibly a large hatchback, driven entirely by electric power.

From Jaguar itself, they said:

"[Jaguar will] continue the XJ nameplate and will use its renowned engineering capability and technological innovation to ensure its longevity."

So whatever happens, the XJ is not totally dead yet. The XJ had its best sales in 1986, with over 19,000 XJs sold in the US. The current car started life in 2009, giving it a good 10-year run, however, sales of the XJ lately have been pretty poor with only 1,579 units being moved last year. 

Related:

View full article

Electric AWD, could be a very cool roomy sedan. :metal: 

I have to say, the XJ is one of my favorite big sedans out there.  Sad to see it go, but it had a nice long life.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have to say, the XJ is one of my favorite big sedans out there.  Sad to see it go, but it had a nice long life.

Maybe a value CPO for the Garage?

Too bad that Jaguar did not sell as many XJs as originally wanted.  The only Jaguars I see these days are all crossovers.  I do not think I have seen an XJ in several months.

36 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Maybe a value CPO for the Garage?

There are some excellent examples near me

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Electric AWD, could be a very cool roomy sedan. :metal: 

Wherein sales drop from 1579/yr to 15/yr.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Even at 10 years old, these were still very sexy big cars.

Haven't seen one in a long time..never liked the rear end styling or the dash...

I thought this car looked great when it came out, it looks way bland now.  They were better off with that retro Jag look, at least it had personality.  

I think Jaguar sedans are pretty much dead, they can make it an EV but it probably won't be good as a Tesla, or a Mercedes or Audi EV so it could have the same problem.  Jags are also small inside, somehow the XJ is more cramped inside than my E-class.  Maybe with an EV they can get space, but they are awful at it now.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Wherein sales drop from 1579/yr to 15/yr.

Balthy stole my line.  Love it when the truth is told.

Further proof that "The Leaper" will meet The Reaper sooner rather than later, with an attitude like that.

• Downvote 1

Taking no sides and just looking at the track record, the volume question is, to date, without question.

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Balthy stole my line.  Love it when the truth is told.

Further proof that "The Leaper" will meet The Reaper sooner rather than later, with an attitude like that.

• Haha 3

On 5/30/2019 at 12:30 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Never been a big Jaguar fan myself but I agree with you here. The look has aged well IMO and just has a nice sleek look to it. 

On 6/21/2019 at 10:07 PM, surreal1272 said:

Never been a big Jaguar fan myself but I agree with you here. The look has aged well IMO and just has a nice sleek look to it. 

I love the interior.  It doesn't try to be the roomiest, but it lets you know you are riding in luxury. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      (MAHWAH, NJ) – Oct. 1, 2019 – Jaguar Land Rover today reported September 2019 U.S. sales. Jaguar Land Rover total September U.S. sales reached 9,490 units, a five percent increase from September 2018, led by higher sales of all-new Range Rover Evoque, Range Rover Sport and Jaguar F-PACE. For the calendar year, Jaguar Land Rover achieved 89,071 units, an increase of three percent vs. 86,309 in 2018.
      Brand Details
      Jaguar
      For the month of September, Jaguar sales were 2,002 units, two percent lower than a year ago. The Jaguar F-PACE continued to lead the brand’s sales performance with 1,021 units sold, up thirteen percent from September 2018. The Jaguar E-PACE and XE sold 319 and 218 units respectively.
      Land Rover
      For the month of September, the Land Rover brand sold 7,488 units, an increase of seven percent from 6,966 units in September 2018. The new Range Rover Evoque is up 69 percent with 1,069 units sold. The Range Rover Sport continues to be the brand’s sales leader with 2,288 units sold, an increase of 22 percent vs. 1,878 units in September 2018.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Jaguar Land Rover has announced a temporary halt in production in November as the threat of disruption from a No-Deal Brexit looms.  BMW and Toyota have already announced plans for temporary work stoppages at their UK factories. All four of JLR's UK factories are affected. 
      Although No-Deal Brexit is still not a certainty. Manufacturers like JLR have to plan for the worst.  JLR uses 20 million parts a day and needs to have those parts available at just the right time. 
      Toyota will be stopping production of the Corolla Hatchback and Avensis on November 1st. BMW is planning on stopping Mini production in early November, but Rolls-Royce and BMW engine plants are expected to continue production. 

View full article

• By Drew Dowdell
      Jaguar Land Rover has announced a temporary halt in production in November as the threat of disruption from a No-Deal Brexit looms.  BMW and Toyota have already announced plans for temporary work stoppages at their UK factories. All four of JLR's UK factories are affected. 
      Although No-Deal Brexit is still not a certainty. Manufacturers like JLR have to plan for the worst.  JLR uses 20 million parts a day and needs to have those parts available at just the right time. 
      Toyota will be stopping production of the Corolla Hatchback and Avensis on November 1st. BMW is planning on stopping Mini production in early November, but Rolls-Royce and BMW engine plants are expected to continue production. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Jaguar Land Rover already has an agreement with BMW to use BMW sourced engines in future vehicles, but now a report from Autocar says that the company could use a BMW sourced platform for some future small vehicles as well.  Jaguar wants to increase its "Pace" lineup with an "A-Pace" and "B-Pace", small crossover coupes that would use BMW's front-wheel drive FAAR platform that underpins the X1, X2, and eventually the entire Mini linup. 
      Over at Land Rover, there is a possible revival of the Freelander based on the same FAAR platform to fill the entry level spot in the Land Rover showroom. Even the larger Evoque and Discovery Sport could move to FAAR when their current runs are up mid to late next decade. Naturally, as all new platforms are today, they are engineered to accept electrification in the form of electric assist, hybrids, or even pure electric powertrains. 
      If all this comes to fruition, vehicles using the FAAR platform could top 1.5 million in global sales annually. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Jaguar Land Rover already has an agreement with BMW to use BMW sourced engines in future vehicles, but now a report from Autocar says that the company could use a BMW sourced platform for some future small vehicles as well.  Jaguar wants to increase its "Pace" lineup with an "A-Pace" and "B-Pace", small crossover coupes that would use BMW's front-wheel drive FAAR platform that underpins the X1, X2, and eventually the entire Mini linup. 
      Over at Land Rover, there is a possible revival of the Freelander based on the same FAAR platform to fill the entry level spot in the Land Rover showroom. Even the larger Evoque and Discovery Sport could move to FAAR when their current runs are up mid to late next decade. Naturally, as all new platforms are today, they are engineered to accept electrification in the form of electric assist, hybrids, or even pure electric powertrains. 
      If all this comes to fruition, vehicles using the FAAR platform could top 1.5 million in global sales annually. 
  • Recent Status Updates

• Drew Dowdell

The @Hyundai party with Brett Michael's.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

And here its is, the most controversial car in the #laautoshow, the #Mustang #MachE. I think they did a good job with it, and if they're going to make a whole family of Mustangs, this is a very good start.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

The second most controversial car at the #LAAutoShow. #corvette #c8
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

@United is flying Star Wars themed 737s. This was my flight to Denver.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

Well, after over 13 years with Direct Energy and surviving multiple rounds of layoffs, my 9 lives with the company appear to be up, the latest round of layoffs got me. I will be finishing out the year and then be on the hunt for a new position in January. If anyone knows of project manager positions that are open in the Pittsburgh area, please let me know.
      · 0 replies
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook