Drew Dowdell

Industry News: Trump's Tariff Threat Turned Out To Be A Farce

30 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

There is no scale or units on the left side of the graph. What do those numbers even mean? 

22 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I think 100 is the baseline of 1827.   So 'VIII Trumps Tariffs' is roughly 30% of the 1827 level, 'Smoot-Hawley' just under 50%, etc.

Yes, when you read the story I at least took it to be the Percent of the Tariff applied to the cost of the product. Yet with that said, I can totally understand that without a clear statement of what that number means it would be confusing for people. I have actually reached out to the writer of the story to ask him for clarification of those numbers. Will post the reply once I hear back.

Thank you both 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Yes, when you read the story I at least took it to be the Percent of the Tariff applied to the cost of the product. Yet with that said, I can totally understand that without a clear statement of what that number means it would be confusing for people. I have actually reached out to the writer of the story to ask him for clarification of those numbers. Will post the reply once I hear back.

Thank you both 👍

What kind of rookie doesn't label their graphs?!? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

What kind of rookie doesn't label their graphs?!? 

well, 100 units is bigger than 50 units, or 30 units.  That much is clear.

• Haha 1

At any rate...business does not l8ke uncertainty. This creates unneeded tension and chaos in the economy.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

well, 100 units is bigger than 50 units, or 30 units.  That much is clear.

It doesn't even state units. There's zero label. It could be deaths. It could be births. It could be any variety of things and it should be pretty basic reporting to include labels. Having accurate graphs that aren't misleading in anyway can only builds their reputation.

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It doesn't even state units. There's zero label. It could be deaths. It could be births. It could be any variety of things and it should be pretty basic reporting to include labels. Having accurate graphs that aren't misleading in anyway can only builds their reputation.

It's units of something, and 100 > 50. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

We should dynamite mount Rushmore, it is a moral and visual desecration to a sacred Indian mountain.  Making it in the first place was wrong, keeping it there is wrong also. Dynamite for the win. The sooner the better.

This...I did NOT know.

I was always in awe of Mount Rushmore, but learning this about it being sculpted on sacred Indigenous Native American land...I all of a sudden view it in a different light. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

This...I did NOT know.

I was always in awe of Mount Rushmore, but learning this about it being sculpted on sacred Indigenous Native American land...I all of a sudden view it in a different light. 

They say it was done to hide sacred Indian locations, so who knows maybe National Treasure is right, hidden city of gold? 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

@ocnblu   @Drew Dowdell

Why you laughing Blu?   (plus all the downvoting you do when somebody mentions THEIR opinion on politics that is different from yours yet you dont offer anything of value...just dumb rhetoric...as if you are knowledgeable on the subjects...) 

The massacre of Natives is funny to you?

Why?

You think its because it happened in the past that we should all just ignore history?

Because you think it wasnt you personally that harmed Natives that somehow its all good now?

Greeks were slaves to the Turks for 400 years during that horrid Ottoman Empire.  Every March 21, Greeks celebrate their FREEDOM (Its called their Independence Day...but THAT is false...Greece was ALWAYS independent...we FREED ourselves)

Greeks dont EVER want to forget that...and for you...that would be stupid, right?

In THIS situation....we want the Natives to just go away?  Because your laughy thingy says exactly THAT to me...

How does that work?  How does that work in the eyes and skin of a Native? 

Its easy for Greece and Greeks to start moving on from that past as the Ottoman Empire is no longer around....yet it still is...Constantinople and Cyprus is a very harsh reminder, but at least the main mainland Greece...Greece gets to be HELLENIC.

In North America...the Natives see their land STILL being occupied bu NON Natives...and YOU have the AUDACITY to laugh?

You know...politics is a strange animal...

Politics involves EVERYTHING we do in our CIVIC lives.  

But, some aspects of politics is very human related. And when we are so IGNORANT on the plight of peoples because of our PAST politics and just want it to go away...well...

You know Blu...I COULD discuss cars with you...its fun...but you are one very IGNORANT individual with everything else...

I for one...will vote NOT to have a political forum open for us to discuss....

Not for me...for YOU...

Im embarrassed for you and your ignorance... 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

Well, Trump could change his mind tomorrow about that.....

But let me be real (and respectful) for a moment. Most of the people in this thread (and forum) and definitely not Trump suppporters. So no matter what, it does make it hard to have a civil conversation at times. Ocn is in that minority, and I can see at times why he does lash out. Whether we agree with Trump or not, I try to respect the fact that people support him, even if I might not agree with the reasons. It’s simply how I keep my friends in real life, facebook, or even here. You guys are my friends, not always for your opinions, but our love of the same things. 🙂  While he might not agree on politics, pretty sure most of us would not say no to a nice 55 Chevy (or maybe a new Corvette). I think a politics section would work fine is long as we can ask the question: why? Otherwise, it simply turns into petty issues.....

Adding to the topic quickly, I can say he (Trump)is quite good at the dog and pony show..... 😉 One of the best showboaters.......

Edited by daves87rs

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

tear-indian-ad-pollution.png

And continuing to offer nothing of substance and supporting the narrative that some folks kind handle political discussion. 

Honestly blu, it’s pretty pathetic at this point yet also a pretty typical response since you have offered nothing here but snarky remarks and down votes because there are thoughts and words here that don’t line up with yours. 

Cry me a river indeed. 

And they call liberals “snowflakes”. 

57 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Well, Trump could change his mind tomorrow about that.....

But let me be real (and respectful) for a moment. Most of the people in this thread (and forum) and definitely not Trump suppporters. So no matter what, it does make it hard to have a civil conversation at times. Ocn is in that minority, and I can see at times why he does lash out. Whether we agree with Trump or not, I try to respect the fact that people support him, even if I might not agree with the reasons. It’s simply how I keep my friends in real life, facebook, or even here. You guys are my friends, not always for your opinions, but our love of the same things. 🙂  While he might not agree on politics, pretty sure most of us would not say no to a nice 55 Chevy (or maybe a new Corvette). I think a politics section would work fine is long as we can ask the question: why? Otherwise, it simply turns into petty issues.....

Adding to the topic quickly, I can say he (Trump)is quite good at the dog and pony show..... 😉 One of the best showboaters.......

I have no problem if someone is a Trump supporter. The problem is when they offer no real argument to defend their position or anything else that would reasonably explain his policies and actions. They come off as echo chambers or deflect to things like Hillary or Obama (a tactic already used by one Trump supporter here). Deflection is not debating or discussing and that is pretty much all Blu has offered on this thread. Might as well be talking about EVs at this point because it’s pretty much the same behavior. 

Up votes & down votes aren’t actually a real thing. IMO a downvote is simply pause to reflect on what I said as opposed to what I think the voter felt. I’m probably not going to change their opinion, but I might change mine if I came to a different conclusion/ had different information.

I am not one to harp and harp and harp.  My opinions should be clear.  I vote no on a re-opening of the politics section... simply because the two opposing camps are not treated equally by the site owner... when you have an uphill battle to remain balanced and fair, of course those who think like me would vote NO.

As far as the Italian-American who posed as an oppressed Native, and whose famous commercial was sponsored by entities who advocated for single-use beverage containers, I shed no tears for him.  The commercial duped millions of Americans.  He was like the Elizabeth Warren of environmental causes.

@ocnblu So then this is fake news to you.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/trump-campaign-cutting-ties-pollsters-after-internal-numbers-leaked-n1017991

Yet incompetence in leading our country and trade has led other countries to now impose tariffs on us.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/06/16/trade-war-india-hits-u-s-more-tariffs/1471140001/

Apple Exports hit with 70% Tariff and now exports will die off on top of many other things we export out of the country.

Get ready for Depression 2 coming and this is truly all Trump.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

“Can’t handle” not “kind handle”. 

Thanks a lot autocorrect. 

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

I am not one to harp and harp and harp.  My opinions should be clear.  I vote no on a re-opening of the politics section... simply because the two opposing camps are not treated equally by the site owner... when you have an uphill battle to remain balanced and fair, of course those who think like me would vote NO.

As far as the Italian-American who posed as an oppressed Native, and whose famous commercial was sponsored by entities who advocated for single-use beverage containers, I shed no tears for him.  The commercial duped millions of Americans.  He was like the Elizabeth Warren of environmental causes.

Like you said, cry me a river. If the site owner were a Trump supporter, you’d be singing a vastly different tune. It’s also funny that you assume that those who “think” like you would share the same opinion as you regarding political discussion. I personally know plenty of Trump supporters who have no problem with it so maybe the problem is just you and your personal hang ups.

And while you berate Warren (who I don’t care for at all) you would openly ignore all of Trump false representations of himself. 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Up votes & down votes aren’t actually a real thing. IMO a downvote is simply pause to reflect on what I said as opposed to what I think the voter felt. I’m probably not going to change their opinion, but I might change mine if I came to a different conclusion/ had different information.

Oh I agree but in the context of what I’m saying, it perfectly reflects the inability to have a open dialogue with said person who just bitches about not getting his fair shake on this site, politically speaking which quite frankly is a cop out. 

Edited by surreal1272

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Whatever do you mean by "now"??

Correct, we have always had countries that have added Tariffs to protect their local competitors. Yet a country has dropped Tariffs like India did once we had a signed trade agreement. 

Then Idiot in Office for no reason other than to complain about H1 visa's as too many workers coming here for jobs and with throwing away a signed agreement opens up a trade war with another country.

The bully on the playground has never been a win long term for anyone.

Unhappy with certain trade aspects, sit down like adults and discuss it rather than throw a tantrum. This tantrum administration has already destroyed America in the eyes of Billions around the world and not gained us anything.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

when you have an uphill battle to remain balanced and fair,

You...have NEVER remained balanced and fair...

But...Its OK...we have common ground as I too, dont want a political forum opened up...

Why?

Because YOU have proven even with EVs....that YOU REFUSE to have ANY discussion.

One small example.

I once mentioned that I see  5 different Tesla Model 3s daily...

YOU immediately scoffed at that.  

I proceeded to explain to you why in Quebec Tesla has no problem in selling cars and I proceeded to explain to you why EVs, not just Tesla cars, will be a major force in Quebec in the very near future.

YOU...then...just short of calling me a liar...dont believe me. YOU will NOT listen to me whatever I say....

I not here to change your mind...

But at the same time...YOU ONLY have YOUR ways off thinking and WILL NEVER budge on ANYTHING...

While YOU EXPECT EVERYBODY ELSE to cater to YOUR whims...

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

simply because the two opposing camps are not treated equally by the site owner... when you have an uphill battle to remain balanced and fair, of course those who think like me would vote NO.

THIS post is PROOF positive of what Im talking about...

YOU dont treat ANYBODY equally that opposes YOUR view...

What uphill battle?

A discussion?

A discussion that PROVES your logic is flawed?

YOU dont believe me that Quebec is a strong EV market...

I even TELL you why...

I, on the other hand...UNDERSTAND why in YOUR area EVs may NEVER take-off...

But YOU will NEVER be able to SEE what is in MY NECK OF THE WOODS and YOU REFUSE to ACCEPT what I tell you...

YOU FLAT OUT TREAT ME LIKE A BULLSHYTER!!! 

SO... STOP THE CRYING!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Correct, we have always had countries that have added Tariffs to protect their local competitors.

Did they sit down with us & discuss the matter like adults?
Has the "long term" run out for China and are they 'losing' now?

Or still 'winning'??

You want more proof @ocnblu?

On 6/11/2019 at 5:48 PM, oldshurst442 said:

This...I did NOT know.

This post here...that I wrote is neither positive nor negative.

That post that I wrote shows NO leanings of how I feel about Mount Rushmore, Natives, and Americans past and/or present...

YOU took it personal and laughed at it...(then I took it personal because I SAW RIGHT THROUGH YOU!!!)

THIS is the equality YOU are talking about???!!!

I am STILL in awe with Mount Rushmore...

I did NOT know it was built on sacred Native land...

I respect history...all MY post said...all I wanted to state, is that NOW, I will be a even more sensitive to Native American history...hence I will be viewing it in a different light...

NOW...I am MORE knowledgeable about what is what...

hence why I ranted....this post...

On 6/15/2019 at 7:47 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Its easy for Greece and Greeks to start moving on from that past as the Ottoman Empire is no longer around....yet it still is...Constantinople and Cyprus is a very harsh reminder, but at least the main mainland Greece...Greece gets to be HELLENIC.

In North America...the Natives see their land STILL being occupied bu NON Natives...and YOU have the AUDACITY to laugh?

And why I called YOU up on it...

The massacre of Natives is funny to you?

Why?

You think its because it happened in the past that we should all just ignore history?

Because you think it wasnt you personally that harmed Natives that somehow its all good now?

Greeks were slaves to the Turks for 400 years during that horrid Ottoman Empire.  Every March 21, Greeks celebrate their FREEDOM (Its called their Independence Day...but THAT is false...Greece was ALWAYS independent...we FREED ourselves)

Greeks dont EVER want to forget that...and for you...that would be stupid, right?

In THIS situation....we want the Natives to just go away?  Because your laughy thingy says exactly THAT to me...

Especially the bolded part...

You dont see a pattern here?

You think Im lying to you about how I feel?

The pattern is this:

History was NOT kind to the Natives...

I am SENSITIVE to that fact...I COULD relate because the Ottoman Empire was not kind to Greece and Greece lost a lot of land to Turkey...yeah...like the Natives...

I do NOT EVER want forget and ignore history...seems like YOU want to brush  this under the rug...

and then what do you do?

You put the blame on others...

Did YOU treat me as an equal?

Did YOU actually understand what I wrote?

OF COURSE NOT!!!

CRY ME A RIVER IS WHAT YOU WROTE!!!!

Which I already KNEW your response...

I wrote this before YOU wrote cry me a river...because I KNOW you dont care...I KNOW YOU WILL NOT LISTEN NOR CHANGE YOUR IGNORANT WAYS!!!

Why?

So yeah...I am embarrassed for YOU, my friend... 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

I never said you willfully lied about anything, dear boy.