Drew Dowdell

Mercedez Benz News Mercedes Introduces the new GLB

Just now, riviera74 said:

The new Lincoln Aviator is RWD.  Why won't Cadillac build a RWD unibody crossover since the death knell of the original SRX?  Mercedes and (especially) BMW sell RWD CUVs all the time.  Certainly, given the current Cadillac lineup, there is room for a RWD CUV NOT named Escalade (which is a RWD BOF SUV).

GM doesn't do RWD unibody crossovers.    FWD/transverse is their sweet spot, because they can share them across four brands and many models...keep them generic and cheap to build.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Why won't Cadillac build a RWD unibody crossover 

Money.

• Upvote 1

Just now, balthazar said:

^ Right : they don't sell as well.

Well, they sell well for MB and BMW CUVs...  but MB and BMW also do the FWD/transverse for the small stuff..

I would guess the X5 and GLE are the top 2 selling rear drive cars with a base price over $50k, in the US or globally.   I think the GLC is the #2 selling luxury crossover, RWD seems to do just fine.

And for those that want FWD, the GLB has them covered.

Edited by smk4565
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I like the white one.  Never liked giant fake black air intakes in bumpers, so the "sporty" trim level is out.  The interior is way cool in black and brown.  Dash is futuristic, kinda cool... but only if it doesn't wash out in sunlight.  So you're saying this is available as a 5-seater?  I was confused by the article a little bit.

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I think there is a typo in the original post above, it says  The GLA can be purchased as a 5-seater or 7-seater with a second row that can slide fore and aft up to 6 inches.   I think that should read GLB.  Another sentence references the GLC, when it should be GLB.    Nomenclature confusion?

Fixed my typos. If they had real names it wouldn't be this easy to screw up.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Fixed my typos. If they had real names it wouldn't be this easy to screw up.

Yes.  At least they are in alphabetical order. 

#1 seller, and for years, is the FWD lexus RX, 108K sales last year. No one is remotely close to that.
RDX : 63K (FWD / AWD)
X3 : 61K (RWD / AWD)
X5 : 45K (RWD / AWD) 
GLE : 46K (RWD / AWD)
GLC : 69K (RWD / AWD)
XT5 : 60K (FWD / AWD)

Well good the GLB can outsell the Lexus RX if people want FWD, since the GLB looks better, is cheaper, faster if you get an AMG, and has more tech and better infotainment and seats 7. 

That is part of why the GLB is here, Acura, Volvo, Lexus, etc have had it too easy, Mercedes and BMW dominate those upper segments, that the Japanese mostly don't even bother.  Well now Mercedes is coming for them in those lower luxury segments with the A-class and GLB.

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

GM doesn't do RWD unibody crossovers.    FWD/transverse is their sweet spot, because they can share them across four brands and many models...keep them generic and cheap to build.

That doesn't mean a RWD unibody couldn't be shares across four brands. The Aviator's platform is shares with the new Explorer in the same way. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That doesn't mean a RWD unibody couldn't be shares across four brands. The Aviator's platform is shares with the new Explorer in the same way. 

I can't imagine GM doing that, though...they seem very committed to generic FWD/transverse appliances.   I'm surprised Ford went with a RWD unibody approach. 

I think Ford will probably end up using the new Explorer/Lincoln platform for the Mustang.  It would be dumb for any company to release a new unibody platform that does not lend itself well to multiple body types (sedan/CUV etc).

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, frogger said:

I think Ford will probably end up using the new Explorer/Lincoln platform for the Mustang.  It would be dumb for any company to release a new unibody platform that does not lend itself well to multiple body types (sedan/CUV etc). 

Yes, I saw that somewhere that the next Mustang will likely be on the Explorer platform...

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, I saw that somewhere that the next Mustang will likely be on the Explorer platform...

Omega/CT6 is such a nice platform, I wish GM did more with it.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Well good the GLB can outsell the Lexus RX if people want FWD, since the GLB looks better, is cheaper, faster if you get an AMG, and has more tech and better infotainment and seats 7. 

That is part of why the GLB is here, Acura, Volvo, Lexus, etc have had it too easy, Mercedes and BMW dominate those upper segments, that the Japanese mostly don't even bother.  Well now Mercedes is coming for them in those lower luxury segments with the A-class and GLB.

You forgot to mention less reliable (which is the biggest selling point of the RX btw) and in a smaller class of CUVs (the RX is 11 inches longer). Guess you can add less room than the RX as well. That has to make me wonder. Why does a shorter CUV even bother with a third row seat? Should make human heads happy but I can’t imagine anything larger than that wanting to occupy that small space (thinking older Highlander 3rd row here which was equally unusable). 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

You forgot to mention less reliable (which is the biggest selling point of the RX btw) and in a smaller class of CUVs (the RX is 11 inches longer). Guess you can add less room than the RX as well. That has to make me wonder. Why does a shorter CUV even bother with a third row seat? Should make human heads happy but I can’t imagine anything larger than that wanting to occupy that small space (thinking older Highlander 3rd row here which was equally unusable). 

Maybe targeting Asian markets?   There are markets where people want small 3 row vehicles.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

shared.. SHARED* 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Maybe targeting Asian markets?   There are markets where people want small 3 row vehicles.

I guess but I have tried to sit in some of these smaller three row vehicles and they are utterly useless. Even if they have the Asian market in mind, they could have just as easily left that off for the American market. People here demand a little more “head” room than what that will probably offer. 

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I guess but I have tried to sit in some of these smaller three row vehicles and they are utterly useless. Even if they have the Asian market in mind, they could have just as easily left that off for the American market. People here demand a little more “head” room than what that will probably offer. 

I assume the 3rd row in compact and midsize SUVs are for children, not adults.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Plus, it's optional so they don't need to equip their vehicle with the 3rd row. 

Which is what I figured but it comes off as a marketing gimmick in a CUV that size. I wouldn’t even put children in the back of similar size CUVs with third row seating. The other issue with it is that almost completely kills the cargo room in the back.

Dad-“Okay, I got all five of the kids in the Benz for the trip”

Mom-“So where do we put all the luggage?”

I don't think it's a gimmick. If you're ordering that you know there will be occasions where it'll come in handy and you don't feel like buying and driving the next size vehicle up. 

I can't see anybody buying that expecting to use it on a regular basis but if you have young kids and know there will be times where you have to move a friend or two, this would be completely fine. 

Plus, it folds flat  so you're really not losing any space. 

Size-wise, it is similar to a Tiguan which also offers a 3rd row of seats, fwiw. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Totally hit the nail on the head, on the West coast where you have large asian communities and badge snobs are a big thing, yet they are all around 5' to 5'4" tall, a 3 row cracker jack box like the GLB will sell well to them.

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think it's a gimmick. If you're ordering that you know there will be occasions where it'll come in handy and you don't feel like buying and driving the next size vehicle up. 

I can't see anybody buying that expecting to use it on a regular basis but if you have young kids and know there will be times where you have to move a friend or two, this would be completely fine. 

Plus, it folds flat  so you're really not losing any space. 

Size-wise, it is similar to a Tiguan which also offers a 3rd row of seats, fwiw. 

Not to nitpick here but if any friend asks me to sit back there, I’m going to tell them “no” and that’s being nice about it. It’s absolutely a marketing gimmick IMO when it comes to vehicles this small. 

About your “food flat” remark, you missed the point of my statement. If you load it full of people, third row and all, then you have no room for stuff. I see this type of nonsense all the time. People want the look but don’t think about real usability and function. That’s all I’m going to say about it because these type of vehicles are not for folks like me anyway. 

• Upvote 1