Jump to content
Drew Dowdell

Mercedez Benz News Mercedes Introduces the new GLB

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Not to nitpick here but if any friend asks me to sit back there, I’m going to tell them “no” and that’s being nice about it. It’s absolutely a marketing gimmick IMO when it comes to vehicles this small. 

 

About your “fold flat” remark, you missed the point of my statement. If you load it full of people, third row and all, then you have no room for stuff. I see this type of nonsense all the time. People want the look but don’t think about real usability and function. That’s all I’m going to say about it because these type of vehicles are not for folks like me anyway. 

I totally agree with the 3rd row seat being a marketing gimmick and a reason why I drive an Escalade ESV Room to haul people and stuff TOGETHER! :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Not to nitpick here but if any friend asks me to sit back there, I’m going to tell them “no” and that’s being nice about it. It’s absolutely a marketing gimmick IMO when it comes to vehicles this small. 

 

About your “food flat” remark, you missed the point of my statement. If you load it full of people, third row and all, then you have no room for stuff. I see this type of nonsense all the time. People want the look but don’t think about real usability and function. That’s all I’m going to say about it because these type of vehicles are not for folks like me anyway. 

Sorry, I thought it was clear but it obviously was not.

Your kids' friend or two. 

No, I did not miss the mark. I still don't think anybody buying this is buying it for a family with 3+ kids where they will need the seats AND the maximum hatch space all at the same time to maximize capacity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Honda CRV offers a third row option in some markets and it has done ok with it.. If they are willing to wait a few months for the build might as well offer it.. It is not for frequent use but a few times a month when you give the neighbour's kid a ride to soccer practice... Being in an urban environment, we have some friends with a kid with no car and a third row would come in handy once in a while.

 

 

 

 

Edited by frogger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be interesting to know if that 3rd row actually eats up any of the small storage space. 🤔

As an example lets say a 2 row 5 person version has 20 cubic feet and the configuration with 3 row has 16 cubic feet. big loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I totally agree with the 3rd row seat being a marketing gimmick and a reason why I drive an Escalade ESV Room to haul people and stuff TOGETHER! :P 

Hahaha well in all fairness.. that starts at  twice the price the GLB is supposed to start around.. (estimated to start between the GLA and GLC which start at 35,000 and 40,000 and the ESV starts at 78k)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Be interesting to know if that 3rd row actually eats up any of the small storage space. 🤔

As an example lets say a 2 row 5 person version has 20 cubic feet and the configuration with 3 row has 16 cubic feet. big loss.

I would say it does, have to fit the seats somewhere.  The Rogue two row has 39 cubic feet of storage capacity, three row has 32... (32 is still more than many other two row compact CUV's like the Equinox, CX5 etc).

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People don't buy how many seats they need, they buy how many seats they MIGHT need.  A lot of people with 1 kid will buy a 3 row SUV for the off chance their 1 kid decides to bring friends along, or the twice a year the in-laws visit and they want to put 6-7 people in a car.

76% of driving is done alone, and yet 76% of cars aren't 2-seaters.  Millenials with zero kids will buy GLB's for the "just in case" they have kids and need 7 seats one day.   

And the GLB may have a small 3rd row, but it's 3rd row is larger than the 3rd row in the Corsair, XT4, XT5, RDX, NX, X3, X2 and Q5, because none of them have one. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, frogger said:

I would say it does, have to fit the seats somewhere.  The Rogue two row has 39 cubic feet of storage capacity, three row has 32... (32 is still more than many other two row compact CUV's like the Equinox, CX5 etc).

 

 

 

GLB 3rd Row.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Hahaha well in all fairness.. that starts at  twice the price the GLB is supposed to start around.. (estimated to start between the GLA and GLC which start at 35,000 and 40,000 and the ESV starts at 78k)

Very true, but just saying, if you are gonna haul people and stuff, then get the right tool for the right job. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Very true, but just saying, if you are gonna haul people and stuff, then get the right tool for the right job. :P 

They make a GLS for that.

Edited by smk4565

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Very true, but just saying, if you are gonna haul people and stuff, then get the right tool for the right job. :P 

Aaaaand that is why I(and others) have stated that this isn't for a family that takes up the 3rd row on a regular basis. 

FWIW, the non-ESV Escalade really doesn't have a whole lot of space behind the 3rd row seat either. A family of 5 likely couldn't fit all of them and their luggage for a week long road trip either.. and that's considerably larger than a GLB(or GLC or GLE, and even the GLS). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Aaaaand that is why I(and others) have stated that this isn't for a family that takes up the 3rd row on a regular basis. 

FWIW, the non-ESV Escalade really doesn't have a whole lot of space behind the 3rd row seat either. A family of 5 likely couldn't fit all of them and their luggage for a week long road trip either.. and that's considerably larger than a GLB(or GLC or GLE, and even the GLS). 

Yup and that is why I got the ESV over the regular. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dfelt said:

Yup and that is why I got the ESV over the regular. :) 

Also, just having an Escalade will get each human a considerable amount more room than a GLB.. pretty obvious but I feel like I should state I do acknowledge that.

Maybe one day I will be comfortable driving something that large but as of now I would absolutely hate having something that massive. I understand their purpose and why people do like them but I would hate it so much, at this point in my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

People don't buy how many seats they need, they buy how many seats they MIGHT need.  A lot of people with 1 kid will buy a 3 row SUV for the off chance their 1 kid decides to bring friends along, or the twice a year the in-laws visit and they want to put 6-7 people in a car.

Exactly the reason we got MDX for my wife and why we probably will get another one this year.  We have two kids and 95% of the time drive with third row down, but occasionally need the third row when we drive short distance with parents or our kids friends.

For camping or other trips I also have a roof basket for all the extra crap.

If we had 3 or more kids though, I would get either a minivan or large size SUV, like Expedition.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Also, just having an Escalade will get each human a considerable amount more room than a GLB.. pretty obvious but I feel like I should state I do acknowledge that.

Maybe one day I will be comfortable driving something that large but as of now I would absolutely hate having something that massive. I understand their purpose and why people do like them but I would hate it so much, at this point in my life.

I can totally respect and understand the feeling about the full size SUVs, yet once my wife was scared of them, but after driving one, she realized they turned and drove as easy as any mid size car. Now sitting up high and having all that space, she cannot see driving anything else.

Have you ever taken one for a test drive? If not, you should it is a fun experience.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Sorry, I thought it was clear but it obviously was not.

Your kids' friend or two. 

No, I did not miss the mark. I still don't think anybody buying this is buying it for a family with 3+ kids where they will need the seats AND the maximum hatch space all at the same time to maximize capacity. 

So when parents haul around a bunch of kids that requires the use of the third row of seats, cargo space is not important? That’s what I’m getting at. These smaller CUVs provide this “carry all the kids” gimmick (because no reasonable adult will sit back there) while sacrificing all the cargo space that comes with it. It is just dumb and most dealers count on folks not bearing that kind of thing in mind. If you even think you’re going to need to haul five or six kids around (while not wanting to drive a behemoth Suburban), there are these things called minivans that will carry all of those kids and your stuff oh but they’ve become “passé” so lord knows Janie soccer mom can’t be seen in an Odyssey or a Pacifica. Got to have that look Even is function be damned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfelt said:

I can totally respect and understand the feeling about the full size SUVs, yet once my wife was scared of them, but after driving one, she realized they turned and drove as easy as any mid size car. Now sitting up high and having all that space, she cannot see driving anything else.

Have you ever taken one for a test drive? If not, you should it is a fun experience.

Agreed. The Tahoe is so easy to drive for a vehicle it’s size. I imagine the new Expedition is even better given the recent accolades. 

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

 

GLB 3rd Row.jpg

That pic sums up my point very nicely. Okay, so you got all the kids in there but where does the stuff go (because that kind of kid hauling usually involves stuff hauling). 

 

I know I am just stating a personal preference and if someone wants the useless third row, it’s a free country. It’s just a half baked concept to me, that’s all. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also agree. Lexus has been promoting the RX350L with third-row seating.  They should simply make a new model designed for three rows and storage, like the new Cadillac XT6.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

I would also agree. Lexus has been promoting the RX350L with third-row seating.  They should simply make a new model designed for three rows and storage, like the new Cadillac XT6.

Well, they already have the GX w/ 3 rows..but it's a BOF oldie and the RX350L is 5 inches longer...wonder how they compare in interior space.   The GX and LX have the same short 112.2 inch wheelbase.  I'm surprised they haven't done a Lexus version of the Seq, but it's old also. 

Edited by Robert Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

So when parents haul around a bunch of kids that requires the use of the third row of seats, cargo space is not important? That’s what I’m getting at. These smaller CUVs provide this “carry all the kids” gimmick (because no reasonable adult will sit back there) while sacrificing all the cargo space that comes with it. It is just dumb and most dealers count on folks not bearing that kind of thing in mind. If you even think you’re going to need to haul five or six kids around (while not wanting to drive a behemoth Suburban), there are these things called minivans that will carry all of those kids and your stuff oh but they’ve become “passé” so lord knows Janie soccer mom can’t be seen in an Odyssey or a Pacifica. Got to have that look Even is function be damned. 

Luckily, the third row folds flat so it's only another option for the user. 

Nobody wants to drive a minivan, don't kid yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Luckily, the third row folds flat so it's only another option for the user. 

Nobody wants to drive a minivan, don't kid yourself. 

Explains why minivan sales have been tanking for a decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 69 Guests (See full list)



  • Social Stream

  • Similar Content

    • By Drew Dowdell
      Mercedes unveiled the Mercedes-Benz GLB at an event in Salt Lake City yesterday.   The GLB joins the GLA in the small crossover space, however it can be configured with seating for up to seven passengers.   Built on the compact, front wheel drive, transverse engine platform that is shared with the GLA, the boxy shape makes the most of its 111.4 inch wheelbase (5.1 inches longer than the GLA). The GLB can be purchased as a 5-seater or 7-seater with a second row that can slide fore and aft up to 6 inches. 
      Mercedes says the boxy shape gives the GLB powerful off-road proportions, and short front and rear overhangs help with approach and departure angles. Front-wheel drive is the default, and Mercedes 4Matic all-wheel drive is optional and comes with various modes for comfort, sport, and off-road. Hill-Start assist and downhill speed regulation contribute to the GLB's off-road chops.
      Powering the GLB is a 2.0 liter transverse 4-cylinder with an 8-speed automatic transmission. The engine produces 221 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque from 1800 rpm - 4,000 rpm. It is likely that we will later see AMG engine variants join the lineup like the 416 hp 4-cylinder that AMG just debuted. 
      The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLB will be in dealerships by the end of 2019. 
      At a glance:
       
      GLB 250
      4MATIC
      Transmission
      8G-DCT
      (automatic)
      Displacement (cc)
      1991
      Output (hp)
      221
      at rpm
      5,500
      Max. torque (lb-ft)
      258
      at rpm
      1800 - 4000
      Acceleration 0-60 mph (s)
      6.9
      Top speed (mph)
      130
      *Spec for load compartment capacity calculated according to VDA standards.
       
       
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Mercedes-AMG has unvieled their newest and most powerful 4-cylinder engine. Clocking in at 416 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque for the S version, it is the most powerful 4-cylinder engine currently in production.  There is also a "base" model of this engine that produces 382 HP and 354 lb-ft of torque.  Peak torque for the S Model is available from 5000 - 5250 rpm while the base version's torque peak comes in at 4,750 rpm and continues to 5,000 rpm. Mercedes says that putting the torque peak higher in the RPM band makes the engine more free revving. Maximum engine speed for both versions is 7,200 rpm. 
      The engine, while still transverse, is rotated 180 degrees to put the turbo in the back up against the firewall and the intake system is positioned up front to make for a lower design with fewer air restrictions.  The turbo itself is a twin-scroll unit and has roller bearings to reduce friction and quicken turbo response.  The engines are hand built by a single craftsman in Affalterbach Germany.  
      No word yet on which vehicles these engines will go in, but its a safe bet to look for them to show up in the Mercedes A-Class, CLA-Class, and probably the GLB-Class.
      Technical data at a glance
       
      Mercedes-AMG
      M 139 2.0 liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine
      Displacement
      1991 cc
      Bore x stroke
      83.0 x 92.0 mm
      Output
      416 hp at 6750 rpm (S-model) 
      382 hp at 6500 rpm (base version)
      Peak torque
      369 lb-ft at 5000-5250 rpm  (S-model) 354 lb-ft at 4750-5000 rpm (base version)
      Max. engine speed
      7200 rpm
      Compression ratio
      9.0:1
      Turbocharging
      One twinscroll turbocharger with roller-bearing compressor and turbine wheels
      Max. charge pressure
      2.1 bar (S-model)
      1.9 bar (base version)
      Mixture formation
      Combined direct and manifold injection.
      1.) Third-generation multiple direct injection. Fast and precise piezo injectors spray the fuel into the combustion chambers at high pressure 
      2.) Additional intake manifold injection with solenoid valves
      Cylinder head
      Two overhead camshafts, 16 valves, adjustable intake and exhaust camshafts, CAMTRONIC valve timing 
      adjustment for the exhaust camshaft
      Max. air mass throughput
      2,645 lb/h (S-model) 2,425 lb/h (base version)
      Engine weight (wet)
      353.8 lbs
       

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Mercedes-AMG has unvieled their newest and most powerful 4-cylinder engine. Clocking in at 416 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque for the S version, it is the most powerful 4-cylinder engine currently in production.  There is also a "base" model of this engine that produces 382 HP and 354 lb-ft of torque.  Peak torque for the S Model is available from 5000 - 5250 rpm while the base version's torque peak comes in at 4,750 rpm and continues to 5,000 rpm. Mercedes says that putting the torque peak higher in the RPM band makes the engine more free revving. Maximum engine speed for both versions is 7,200 rpm. 
      The engine, while still transverse, is rotated 180 degrees to put the turbo in the back up against the firewall and the intake system is positioned up front to make for a lower design with fewer air restrictions.  The turbo itself is a twin-scroll unit and has roller bearings to reduce friction and quicken turbo response.  The engines are hand built by a single craftsman in Affalterbach Germany.  
      No word yet on which vehicles these engines will go in, but its a safe bet to look for them to show up in the Mercedes A-Class, CLA-Class, and probably the GLB-Class.
      Technical data at a glance
       
      Mercedes-AMG
      M 139 2.0 liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine
      Displacement
      1991 cc
      Bore x stroke
      83.0 x 92.0 mm
      Output
      416 hp at 6750 rpm (S-model) 
      382 hp at 6500 rpm (base version)
      Peak torque
      369 lb-ft at 5000-5250 rpm  (S-model) 354 lb-ft at 4750-5000 rpm (base version)
      Max. engine speed
      7200 rpm
      Compression ratio
      9.0:1
      Turbocharging
      One twinscroll turbocharger with roller-bearing compressor and turbine wheels
      Max. charge pressure
      2.1 bar (S-model)
      1.9 bar (base version)
      Mixture formation
      Combined direct and manifold injection.
      1.) Third-generation multiple direct injection. Fast and precise piezo injectors spray the fuel into the combustion chambers at high pressure 
      2.) Additional intake manifold injection with solenoid valves
      Cylinder head
      Two overhead camshafts, 16 valves, adjustable intake and exhaust camshafts, CAMTRONIC valve timing 
      adjustment for the exhaust camshaft
      Max. air mass throughput
      2,645 lb/h (S-model) 2,425 lb/h (base version)
      Engine weight (wet)
      353.8 lbs
       
  • My Clubs

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...