Drew Dowdell

Ford News: 760 Horsepower For 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

The AMG GT R Pro is the fastest front engine, rear drive car around the Nurburgring and that is with 577 hp.  More power would not be usable or make it get around a track faster.    And that car in a straight line is not faster than an AWD E63 with the same engine and more weight.

And the Corvette should have an all wheel drive option, I have said that in the past.  If Corvette is going to be that high powered.  Now if they make the Corvette a 400 hp base, and 500 hp optional engine and that's it to keep price down to be more like a Supra, then rear drive only is fine.  But with the power a Vette has it should have all wheel drive.

And missing the point yet again. You assume just because can’t put down 577HP on RWD only then surely a “lowly” Corvette can’t. Clearly you’re wrong in your assumption. Ford also is just as capable of making it work for their cars as well. Sorry their PR and marketing doesn’t sell it for you but I’m pretty sure your approval is not required to make it happen. 

If the GT500 runs 0-60 in 2.5 seconds like a less powerful 911 Turbo does then I will give Ford a pass for no awd.

12 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

If the GT500 runs 0-60 in 2.5 seconds like a less powerful 911 Turbo does then I will give Ford a pass for no awd.

Well then maybe you should wait until some numbers actually come out before trolling yet another domestic car and then I want you to look at the price difference between the two before considering that domestic some kind of mythical failure in your eyes. The front engine ZR-1 does it in 2.8 without AWD and undercutting that Porsche in price. Any other weak arguments?

On 6/22/2019 at 9:03 PM, smk4565 said:

NOTHING runs to 60 in 2.5 seconds with power going to the rear wheels, period. You'll be lucky to get it in the mid 3 sec range with 60 treadwear tires, the right surface and perfect technique. However, that is not to say that power is unusable above the level that will give mid 3 sec performance. You are not going to break the tires loose at 60 mph or some reasonable speed, so AWD is simply extra drive train loss, extra weight and a tendency to understeer that needs to be manually or electronically managed.

On 6/20/2019 at 11:47 AM, smk4565 said:

But I wouldn’t want over 500-600 hp in a rear drive only car, it will be too tail happy.

There are some fancy traction control systems out there that you'd be just fine with 1000hp. The number isn't an issue with computers. 

• Upvote 2

Diesel HD/SD trucks already pull power in 1st and 2nd gears because 1000 torques will spin them at any moment in those gears. 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

There are some fancy traction control systems out there that you'd be just fine with 1000hp. The number isn't an issue with computers. 

You are also not getting the power.

15 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

You are also not getting the power.

Well, that's what traction control does. They do a similar thing with Top fuel cars with clutch slip. All forms of traction control. 

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Well, that's what traction control does. They do a similar thing with Top fuel cars with clutch slip. All forms of traction control. 

As I said, if you rely on traction control you are also not getting the power. If you have 4 wheels to put it down you get more power.

27 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

As I said, if you rely on traction control you are also not getting the power. If you have 4 wheels to put it down you get more power.

...Duh...? 

I was responding to 500-600hp being too much in a RWD daily driver. I didn't say it was quicker. 

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

...Duh...? 

I was responding to 500-600hp being too much in a RWD daily driver. I didn't say it was quicker. 

And, what I was saying is that if you are relying on traction control to put power down it is no different from having a less powerful engine -- at least at lower speeds and in lower gears -- which partially defeats the purpose of having a more powerful engine.

Except when you're stringing it out you can use 100% of the power, just not at 20mph. I see no issue with that. 

Seems according to this story, the 2020 Ford Mustang GT500 configurator is available and all options checked brings the beast to your hands at $107,080.

https://www.motor1.com/news/370086/most-expensive-mustang-shelby-gt500/

That is one mighty expensive Pony!

• Thanks 1

Just went on ford.com

It starts at $74k

WIth carbon fiber and technology pack I brought it up to $95.5k

image.png.6d418498037c82572425dd08c9560727.png

Personally, I would rather have GT350

image.png.777c43e6d17c8d88376f006bd27e81ad.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ykX said: