This Happens When You Hire Temps

Guest Josh

Guest Josh

You have an unspecified number of injuries from a non experienced workforce that think the work is too easy.

You also have new, younger, untrained employees running slow all day and "in the hole" per say.

This is happening at many different plants.

There BusinessWeek...I just gave you ammo for another story.

well, they all have to learn. If GM is committed to reducing their labor cost there will be some growing pains in the interim. Eventually they will learn their jobs and produce to the same level and then GM will reap the benefits of keeping their costs in line so the consumer will benefit from a competitive priced car.

Meh. It's called a learning curve. Any new employee at any company has things to learn. And if the people training the new hires are inexperienced then they have things to learn, too.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Guest Josh

Is this a statement or an actual news story/article...?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THe last thing I said people thought was a "statement" but BusinessWeek ran with it and it was headlines.

I'm willing to bet there will be a news piece shortly.

THe last thing I said people thought was a "statement" but BusinessWeek ran with it and it was headlines.

I'm willing to bet there will be a news piece shortly.

Oh. Okay. So, its not news, just a statement. Gotcha. :thumbsup:

This animosity is tiresome. :(

You have an unspecified number of injuries from a non experienced workforce that think the work is too easy.

You also have new, younger, untrained employees running slow all day and "in the hole" per say.

This is happening at many different plants.

There BusinessWeek...I just gave you ammo for another story.

Hmmm...

You should see what is happening at my dad's plant..... :rolleyes:

I pity the people who pick up those cars the next few months... :(

Guest Josh

This animosity is tiresome. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get used to it. I am hated around here, yet have not seen the site break 130 people online at any given time since I've been gone.

But Dave, sorry to hear its happening "there" too.....

It's happening all over. GM was not prepared for this, and the youngsters that are coming in now are getting hurt daily and can't complete the tasks the veterans could.

I know there are people quitting daily because they can't fill the position.

Get used to it. I am hated around here, yet have not seen the site break 130 people online at any given time since I've been gone.

But Dave, sorry to hear its happening "there" too.....

It's happening all over. GM was not prepared for this, and the youngsters that are coming in now are getting hurt daily and can't complete the tasks the veterans could.

I know there are people quitting daily because they can't fill the position.

Yeah, we've seen a decided uptick in injuries to our "Temp" workforce. Mostly lacerations. According to freshly minted plant legend, there've been 3 walkouts 'mongst the "temps" who've been unable to fully embrace the horror. But remember, they have no stake in long range job prospects here in Doraville, GA since we are the "plant of the damned" being slated to close sometime between now and 2008. Also have heard (but not seen with my own eyes) that 4 out of about 180 so far have been summarily dismissed with less than one week of work under their belt.

Contrary to the Company's and Union's stated position (I.E. "...safety is our overriding priority") an automobile assembly plant, indeed all related component plants are inherently dangerous places to work. But you know that for the "advocacy" of the two- faced beast that is Union/Management, you're basically on-your-own when it comes to leaving work at the end of the day physically safe and sound. If GM ran on hypocrisy, s*@t, they could sell hypocrisy credits to lagging competitors and still be flush with excess. And, if the UAW were really in the business of looking after their members they'd not be faced with a steady slide in membership.

In summation, if you're really concerned with your safety at work, and you've been unable to get people to see things your way, just takes an articulate letter to OSHA to see 'em scramble at your plant. See, management doesn't like it when the Feds intervene. They'd prefer to continue on as "masters of their domain", so use that power wisely, and be prepared to deny writing that letter 'til your dying day. Enjoy. :scratchchin: