NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

New Kia Telluride vs New Cadillac XT6 | Can You Even Compare Them?

Makes sense to compare them, same formula...midsize FWD/AWD V6 3 row crossovers with similar dimensions.  Until they have a Genesis version, the Kia makes sense to compare, maybe throw in the Acadia also. 

Caddy would only win for me in a trim level that has a bunch of features the Kia lacks. Kia if it were my money though.  This guy films at the dealership I serviced the Intrigue at.

Interesting vehicles to compare.   

The Telluride looks better.  And the Telluride has vertical headlights like a Cadillac should, while the XT6 has horizontal headlights you'd expect on a Chevy.

Probably similar performance and handling on both.  Maybe if the XT6 was on Omega with a blacking V8, it wouldn't be compared to a Kia.

On price the Kia kills it, even at even money these are pretty close.  I think the Traverse is in trouble, the interior in that is really lackluster and the Palisade and Telluride are quite nice.

37 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Maybe if the XT6 was on Omega with a blacking V8, it wouldn't be compared to a Kia.

Rags do this; they head-to-head compared the G-wagon to the Wrangler.

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Rags do this; they head-to-head compared the G-wagon to the Wrangler.

One of those is luxurious, one isn't

One has a V8, one doesn't.

They both go off road, that is where the comparison ends. 

mercedes leasers don't lift their own hoods- they have no idea what their cylinder count might be/mean.

Regardless; the 2 have been compared more than once (and quite favorably). 
Naturally the Wrangler kills the g on price… ;) 

I think Kia could be as good or better than XT6 but most people will by based on badge alone.  I know Kia could be 10 times better than Cadillac but I am sure my wife for example would rather be seeing in the Cadillac than Kia.

Ugh... oh... how the mighty have fallen.  GM, in the old days, spent money on making Cadillac a substantively better vehicle than the rest of their own lineup.  Can someone, ANYONE provide me with proof that GM still does this?

The Traverse is a nicely done vehicle on its own.  Is the XT6 substantively, perceptively better than the Traverse High Country?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Ugh... oh... how the mighty have fallen.  GM, in the old days, spent money on making Cadillac a substantively better vehicle than the rest of their own lineup.  Can someone, ANYONE provide me with proof that GM still does this?

The Traverse is a nicely done vehicle on its own.  Is the XT6 substantively, perceptively better than the Traverse High Country?

Well, it's a lot smaller than the Enclave/Traverse.  A comparison with the Acadia is better, as they have the same 112.x wheelbase. 

Edited by Robert Hall

The "corporate engine" strategy that started in the 1970's has reached its point of diminished returns.  For one thing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

The "corporate engine" strategy that started in the 1970's has reached its point of diminished returns.  For one thing.

Interior and exterior styling, options, quality of materials are the distinguishing aspects of each brand in this era of generic power units.  

Cadillac is the only one with the 3.0TT, 3.6TT, and Blackwing.... so in a way they're at least partially back to some Cadillac specific engines.  Cadillac is also getting the new corporate engines first.  The new 2.0T went into the XT4 before it went into anything else.  It's the 3.6 that gets used everywhere. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Cadillac is the only one with the 3.0TT, 3.6TT, and Blackwing.... so in a way they're at least partially back to some Cadillac specific engines.  

Those engines are only in the sedans, though.   The crossovers get corporate generic engines. 

Edited by Robert Hall

14 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Cadillac is the only one with the 3.0TT, 3.6TT, and Blackwing.... so in a way they're at least partially back to some Cadillac specific engines.  Cadillac is also getting the new corporate engines first.  The new 2.0T went into the XT4 before it went into anything else.  It's the 3.6 that gets used everywhere. 

It's a good thing that Cadillac gets the corporate engines first.  What I do not understand is why GM has not bothered replacing the 3.6L V6 with a proper torquey V6 is beyond me.  (A LOT of us miss the 3800 and 3900 V6, just on torque alone).

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I wonder how Caddy execs feel about their products (rightfully) being compared to KIA's. Has to sting a bit, I imagine.

Not in a magazine or major website, though..this is just some rando on YouTube.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I wonder how Caddy execs feel about their products (rightfully) being compared to KIA's. Has to sting a bit, I imagine.

Worse yet, I spent time this past weekend helping my sister and her partner look at auto's. She loved her GMC Terrain when she got it, but with her job of being an on site physical therapist for seniors, it sucks on gas and the turning radius is terrible.

She just finished her 3rd year and has it paid off, so decided to look around especially since my sister loves her Buick Envision and so does Renee. So we went to Buick and she really likes the packages of the Encore and size compared to her Terrain, we then went to Cadillac and she checked out the XT4. Like it but asked me why she should pay more money for it over the Encore when the interior seems to be the same for material quality and she felt the Encore what quieter.

I honestly could not fault her on this.

I am questioning GM's throwing out the luxury quality for the sake of sales and putting exterior wrapped products on the same platform without higher quality interiors.

"HELLO GM, This will give you profits short term, but customers are going to notice the competition. Please focus on Luxury with quiet in the Cadillacs and not just rewrap a Chevy."

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Worse yet, I spent time this past weekend helping my sister and her partner look at auto's. She loved her GMC Terrain when she got it, but with her job of being an on site physical therapist for seniors, it sucks on gas and the turning radius is terrible.

She just finished her 3rd year and has it paid off, so decided to look around especially since my sister loves her Buick Envision and so does Renee. So we went to Buick and she really likes the packages of the Encore and size compared to her Terrain, we then went to Cadillac and she checked out the XT4. Like it but asked me why she should pay more money for it over the Encore when the interior seems to be the same for material quality and she felt the Encore what quieter.

I honestly could not fault her on this.

I am questioning GM's throwing out the luxury quality for the sake of sales and putting exterior wrapped products on the same platform without higher quality interiors.

"HELLO GM, This will give you profits short term, but customers are going to notice the competition. Please focus on Luxury with quiet in the Cadillacs and not just rewrap a Chevy."

AMEN to that.  I might even consider an Envision over an XT5 just for that observation alone.

12 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

AMEN to that.  I might even consider an Envision over an XT5 just for that observation alone.

Envision Rocks! As most people know, I am not short, 6'6" tall and my sister is 6'2" tall, I can sit behind her comfy and sleep. So nice and quiet. Envision is a very nice luxury car that I have a hard time justifying the XT5/6 auto's.

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, smk4565 said:

One of those is luxurious, one isn't

One has a V8, one doesn't.

They both go off road, that is where the comparison ends. 

Not luxurious...(OK...now slightly luxurious...)

The ONLY thing Mercedes did was just put a big price tag on it...making it a so called luxury vehicle soley on the price tag asked for by Mercedes. 

The interior is (was) spartan.  The new one which is a couple of years old now fairs a tad better. 

What the G-wagen is...is just what GM did with these two offerings 20 years ago...is just a reactionary response to what GM did 20 years ago when the SUV craze was running hot....when REAL SUVs and not crossovers were the shiznit...

Related image

Related image

Had HUMMER survived the idiot green people and the bankruptcy, HUMMER offerings would have been luxurious inside...like how Mercedes decided to do its G-wagen which is only 1 or 2 years old with the new barely luxo interior...but HUMMER would have done that BEFORE Mercedes...

But dont forget...G Wagen as a military vehicle and civilian offering came AFTER the ORIGINAL JEEP....

And as a big price tag offering to civilians came AFTER the H1...

A full 20 steps behind JEEP and 1 step behind HUMMER.

And THAT is how the CADILLAC ESCALADE is ABOVE ANY Mercedes Benz SUV as the Escalade and HUMMER H1 or H2 and Lincoln Navigator RULED then...only for Lincoln to let the 'Gator rot on the vine and HUMMER being let go as a brand...to leave the ESCALADE be the SOLE SURVIVOR of the MEGA REAL DEAL SUVs...

Even Bentley and Rolls cant dethrone the Escalade...

Higher price tag just means the snootiest of the snottiest (not a typo) will buy the Bentley and the Rolls.  But many folk in those circles just prefer to buy the Escalade...and prop it up to Bentley and Rolls standards...

I know we are talking about the Wrangler here...

Last week I served a dude a couple of hotdogs and fries. He had a pimped up Wrangler. A couple of years old...with over 100 000 dollars CDN worth of upgrades...

Including Linex paint...lifted kit...all kinds of Jeep accessories on it.   Call it a waste of money if you want to...the thing is...this dude, preferred to spend 50 000 dollars or so CDN buying his JEEP and adding another 100 000 dollars plus accessorizing it...which means he did NOT WANT TO SPEND 100 000 dollars plus on a Mercedes G Wagen. 

To him...he IS a badge snob...a badge snob FOR JEEP while SNUBBING Mercedes!!! 

You see...very similar...unlike what you said...

Edited by oldshurst442

Umm, G-wagen predates the Hummers...

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Not luxurious...(OK...now slightly luxurious...)

Mercedes just put a big price tag on it...(especially previous generation's interior...was spartan...because military vehicle)

What the G-wagen is...is just what GM did with these two offerings 20 years ago...is just a reactionary response to what GM did 20 years when the SUV craze was running hot....when REAL SUVs and not crossovers were the shiznit...

G-wagens predate Hummers...and Hummers had garbage interiors, so nothing luxury about those things..