NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

New Kia Telluride vs New Cadillac XT6 | Can You Even Compare Them?

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Umm, G-wagen predates the Hummers...

But it wasn't luxurious until the current version.  It was a military spec vehicle with leather seats. 

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Cadillac is the only one with the 3.0TT, 3.6TT, and Blackwing.... so in a way they're at least partially back to some Cadillac specific engines.  Cadillac is also getting the new corporate engines first.  The new 2.0T went into the XT4 before it went into anything else.  It's the 3.6 that gets used everywhere. 

But the turbo V6's and Blackwing aren't available in XT5, XT4, or Escalade which are their top 3 sellers if you throw out the soon to be dead XTS.   The volume of the Cadillac brand is a dressed up Chevy.  That is the issue.

Id wait for depreciation to hit...and then Id buy the Cadillac to tell my friends Ive just bought a Cadillac and pretend Im some sort of rich guy...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I wonder how Caddy execs feel about their products (rightfully) being compared to KIA's. Has to sting a bit, I imagine.

They don't care, Cadillac Execs think their product is on par with or better than Audi.  They are that clueless.

2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

But the turbo V6's and Blackwing aren't available in XT5, XT4, or Escalade which are their top 3 sellers if you throw out the soon to be dead XTS.   The volume of the Cadillac brand is a dressed up Chevy.  That is the issue.

The XT4 and XT5 are just generic FWD/transverse engine lease appliances for suburban women who don't care what is under the hood, only leasing the badge.   

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Umm, G-wagen predates the Hummers...

G-wagens predate Hummers...and Hummers had garbage interiors, so nothing luxury about those things..

Yes...but not as high priced divas.

As military vehicles...

And as JEEP wranglers to civilians.

HUMMER H1s were priced as high strung divas. Mercedes followed suit with their G Wagon. 

Then the H2 came along, to be more civilian friendly but to be sold as high strung high priced divas. Only when the H2 went away, did Mercedes gain ground in that high priced market...

At least this is how I understand the situation as it unfolded 20 years ago. 

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

But it wasn't luxurious until the current version.  It was a military spec vehicle with leather seats. 

Well, the interiors weren't bad in the ones from 10-15 years ago.... Hummers were always garbage inside, esp. the H1..(which wasn't even a GM design). 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Not luxurious...(OK...now slightly luxurious...)

The ONLY thing Mercedes did was just put a big price tag on it...making it a so called luxury vehicle soley on the price tag asked for by Mercedes. 

The interior is (was) spartan.  The new one which is a couple of years old now fairs a tad better. 

What the G-wagen is...is just what GM did with these two offerings 20 years ago...is just a reactionary response to what GM did 20 years ago when the SUV craze was running hot....when REAL SUVs and not crossovers were the shiznit...

Related image

Related image

And THAT is how the CADILLAC ESCALADE is ABOVE ANY Mercedes Benz SUV as the Escalade and HUMMER H1 or H2 and Lincoln Navigator RULED then...

The G-wagen was around before Hummer, and it is around after Hummer.  

And the most expensive Escalade is $25k less than the cheapest G-wagen.  So no, the Escalade is not above it.  The Escalade isn't as nice as a GLS or X7 either, let alone anything from Bentley, Rolls or Lamborghini. 

23 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The G-wagen was around before Hummer, and it is around after Hummer.  

And the most expensive Escalade is $25k less than the cheapest G-wagen.  So no, the Escalade is not above it.  The Escalade isn't as nice as a GLS or X7 either, let alone anything from Bentley, Rolls or Lamborghini. 

Yes...but not as high priced divas.

As military vehicles...

And as JEEP wranglers to civilians.

HUMMER H1s were priced as high strung divas. Mercedes followed suit with their G Wagon. 

Then the H2 came along, to be more civilian friendly but to be sold as high strung high priced divas. Only when the H2 went away, did Mercedes gain ground in that high priced market...

At least this is how I understand the situation as it unfolded 20 years ago. 

Price tag means nothing...vis a vis the 'Slade and the G Wagen.

By YOUR own metric...the 'Slade EASILY outsells the G Wagen...

And some 'Slade owners, spend the bling bling money on their 'Slade SURPASSING even the most expensive G Wagens...

And...while there are wild G Wagens out there...Im willing to bet that there are even wilder and more outrageous and more expensive blinged out  'Slades around more so than the G wagen...

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

They don't care, Cadillac Execs think their product is on par with or better than Audi.  They are that clueless.

Somebody make them buy an Audi Q5 and Q7 and make them study those interiors STAT.

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

By YOUR own metric...the 'Slade EASILY outsells the G Wagen...

And some 'Slade owners, spend the bling bling money on their 'Slade SURPASSING even the most expensive G Wagens...

And...while there are wild G Wagens out there...Im willing to bet that there are even wilder and more outrageous and more expensive blinged out  'Slades around more so than the G wagen...

I would hope the Escalade outsells the G-wagen since it costs $50k less.  Much like a Toyota Highlander outsells the Escalade.  

The Escalade is a fancy Tahoe.  A great cash cow for sure, but I think Cadillac could come up with 1 or 2 SUVs above it.  They should be thinking of Escalade as the middle SUV at Cadillac, not the top.  And I think the same of Mercedes, they could do an AMG SUV to compete with the Ferrari Purosange.  

27 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I would hope the Escalade outsells the G-wagen since it costs $50k less.  Much like a Toyota Highlander outsells the Escalade.  

The Escalade is a fancy Tahoe.  A great cash cow for sure, but I think Cadillac could come up with 1 or 2 SUVs above it.  They should be thinking of Escalade as the middle SUV at Cadillac, not the top.  And I think the same of Mercedes, they could do an AMG SUV to compete with the Ferrari Purosange.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Well a G63 6x6 sold for $1.6 million and a Maybach G650 Landaulet sold for $1.4 million.  And those are factory built.  I'd love to see the V12 Escalade convertibles out there selling for over $1 million.

And they have more Maybach coming, and really an AMG G-wagen makes no sense, where as a Maybach G-wagen makes all the sense.

Edited by smk4565

13 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The XT4 and XT5 are just generic FWD/transverse engine lease appliances for suburban women who don't care what is under the hood, only leasing the badge.   

Most people might not care what is under the hood but they definitely care  how car behaves and accelerates.  When my wife test drove crossover with turbo four and another with V6, she definitely preferred the one with V6 for much better acceleration from stop.   She doesn't know the difference between engines and doesn't really care, but she cares how the car drives.  All else being basically equal but she wants the V6, and I don't blame her. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, ykX said:

Most people might not care what is under the hood but they definitely care  how car behaves and accelerates.  When my wife test drove crossover with turbo four and another with V6, she definitely preferred the one with V6 for much better acceleration from stop.   She doesn't know the difference between engines and doesn't really care, but she cares how the car drives.  All else being basically equal but she wants the V6, and I don't blame her. 

So much this.  I don't care if that V6 in the Cadillac is shared with an Impala, I want the shared V6 over a bespoke Turbo 4. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Not luxurious...(OK...now slightly luxurious...)

The ONLY thing Mercedes did was just put a big price tag on it...making it a so called luxury vehicle soley on the price tag asked for by Mercedes. 

The interior is (was) spartan.  The new one which is a couple of years old now fairs a tad better. 

When they came out in the US in the early 2000's they were absolutely a luxurious interior. They might not be considered one in 2019 but in the early 2000's, definitely. 

924631017_GInterior.thumb.jpg.652eb2f6d3034b171e2e0d60e0cd8b00.jpg

For reference, 2005 Bentley Continental interior. 

1280162544_ContinentalInterior.jpg.23419c930a1af266f1f3e4e187ab6609.jpg

13 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Hummers had garbage interiors, so nothing luxury about those things..

100% agree. Plastic on plastic on plastic. The luxurious part is just the roominess they offer and that's about it. 

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

100% agree. Plastic on plastic on plastic. The luxurious part is just the roominess they offer and that's about it. 

Maybe the H2 was roomy, the H1 wasn't....

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Maybe the H2 was roomy, the H1 wasn't....

I mean it was a massive 2-row SUV.. It definitely has room inside. You could almost fit 2 humans(or 1/2 @dfelt) between the driver and passenger. 

Edited by ccap41

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I mean it was a massive 2-row SUV.. It definitely has room inside. You could almost fit 2 humans(or 1/2 @dfelt) between the driver and passenger. 

I rode in a coworker's H1 once, it was awful inside..a lot of wasted space with the huge engine/drivetrain tunnel down the center, 4 bucket seats with that huge tunnel down the middle.     Very loud, cheap and ugly inside.   The H1 may have been quite capable off road, but on road a lot of not good...   he had bought it used and did some off roading in Colorado with it..after a couple years, he tired of it and traded it on a Suburban.   (I think it was mostly because his wife hated it, though)> 

Edited by Robert Hall

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I rode in a coworker's H1 once, it was awful inside..a lot of wasted space with the huge engine/drivetrain tunnel down the center, 4 bucket seats with that huge tunnel down the middle.     Very loud, cheap and ugly inside.   The H1 may have been quite capable off road, but on road a lot of not good...   he had bought it used and did some off roading in Colorado with it..after a couple years, he tired of it and traded it on a Suburban.   (I think it was mostly because his wife hated it, though)> 

I've never been in an H1 but pictures alone they are damn-near night and day difference. I'd love to drive one one day but I have definitely heard exactly what you said, they're atrocious on-road. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

I've never been in an H1 but pictures alone they are damn-near night and day difference. I'd love to drive one one day but I have definitely heard exactly what you said, they're atrocious on-road. 

All that space between the seats with the tunnel is unusable...just a weird experience--4 people can fit inside, but they are all very far from each other.  

31 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

All that space between the seats with the tunnel is unusable...just a weird experience--4 people can fit inside, but they are all very far from each other.  

The design takes into affect more than just off road capability. They also had heavy armor for IEDs, middle section was where the soldiers would lay their weapons for fast access and any other accessories. 

If the H1 was outfitted with the 50 turret on top, then that was where the 5th person stood as they patrolled.

Yes lots of wasted space to consumers, but actually made sense for what the Military wanted.

• Upvote 1

Yes, a military vehicle that made no sense as a civilian product.   Friends that served in the military have told me that they hated them..unreliable and awful to drive.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

When they came out in the US in the early 2000's they were absolutely a luxurious interior. They might not be considered one in 2019 but in the early 2000's, definitely. 

924631017_GInterior.thumb.jpg.652eb2f6d3034b171e2e0d60e0cd8b00.jpg

For reference, 2005 Bentley Continental interior. 

1280162544_ContinentalInterior.jpg.23419c930a1af266f1f3e4e187ab6609.jpg

Wood appliques does not a luxury interior make. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Wood appliques does not a luxury interior make. 

That is correct. 

Let's take a look at a Cadillac's interior in 2005. Wasn't this and the Bentley considered luxury in 2005(I know on different levels)? 

160572333_CTSInterior.thumb.jpg.705a4e6310f808fd11b6a3d39d1ceebd.jpg

That is why I said they were definitely luxury vehicles when they came out even though in 2019 they don't come across as all that luxurious at all. 

• Haha 1