NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

New Kia Telluride vs New Cadillac XT6 | Can You Even Compare Them?

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Looks like the G Class interior got a facelift somewhere in the last decade or so...this the 2017, pretty nice.  The right side glovebox and grab handle doesn't look much changed from the early 00s model. 

Yeah, it hasn't really been left quite as stagnant as some here believe it has been. It's gone from 5spd -> 7spd -> 9spd transmissions then 5.0 V8(G500) and 5.5L Supercharged V8(G55 AMG) to 5.5L V8(G550) and 5.5L Supercharged V8(G63 AMG), lastly 4.0TT V8(G550),  5.5TT V8(G63 AMG), 6.0TT V12(G65 AMG). 

10 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Look at the 3rd photo I posted, of the late 70s one...something weird is going on with the driver's plaid seat--like a patch on the seat or the photo was distorted.

Oh weird, the bottom two pictures didn't show up originally when I read your post.

Yeah, that spot is interesting. 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I think the WHOLE point was passed up quite awhile ago. I'll just mention it again.

Somebody said the G Wagen's interior was NEVER good nor luxurious.

I stated that back when it first came to the states in the early 2000's it most certainly was considered a luxurious interior, because it was.

Now, I also understand that looking back at anything from that era, including any Bentley or S Class, that they look like crap and not very luxurious at all. Also,  until 2019 the G's interior was left alone, for the most part and was lacking for what rose to a 115k vehicle. It became less luxurious not because it actually went backwards but because the rest of the industry improved ten fold in that time while they only made it marginally better, until 2019's clean slate redesign. 

The WHOLE point was that in your OPINION, the G Class always had a luxurious looking interior while in mine (and others) opinions, it simply didn’t and wasn’t really any better than the other you put it up against. The key part of your post is the “opinion” part and some simply don’t share that opinion. 

Right on cue with the defense like I mentioned earlier though. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Looks like the G Class interior got a facelift somewhere in the last decade or so...this the 2017, pretty nice.  The right side glovebox and grab handle doesn't look much changed from the early 00s model. 

2017-mercedes-benz-g-class-amg-g63-suv-dashboard.png

On the other hand, the mid 80s G-wagen dash looks of it's era and more utilitarian.  Nice use of the S-Class steering wheel.   I dig the plaid seats.

61d30191bcf7a8efa9ea587e8dbf7b3f.jpg

And going back to the late 70s, even more utlitiarian and hard core off roader.  Cool seat pattern. 

acc_p_83b86_mercedes-benz-g-class-w460-interior-1979-1980-1981-1982-1983-1984-1985-1986-1987-1988-1989-1990-1991-1992.jpg

All three remind me of, like, a Suzuki Samurai

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2019 at 4:29 AM, ykX said:

I think Kia could be as good or better than XT6 but most people will by based on badge alone. 

but nobody buys cadillac’s for the badge lol

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FAPTurbo said:

but nobody buys cadillac’s for the badge lol

So True, we buy based on the comfort / features we want.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

So True, we buy based on the comfort / features we want.

And that's why Benz is such a king in sales. 

Or are they badge snobs?

Which is it? 

Flippidy Floppody. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Or are they badge snobs?

Which is it? 

Flippidy Floppody. 

People buy German cars because they are badge snobs.  MB, BMW, Audi all benefit from badge snobbishness.  Lexus does too, to a lesser degree.

Nobody has been a badge snob for Cadillac since the bicentennial.  Same with Lincoln.  Baby boomers all went foreign because they wanted to be the opposite of what their parents bought, which goes back to the 1970s.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Or are they badge snobs?

Which is it? 

Flippidy Floppody. 

Some do like me not worry about price and buy what they want from who they want, but more often than not, when it comes to BMW or MB, there are allot of badge snobs.

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

People buy German cars because they are badge snobs

Maybe they buy German cars because they are good.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Maybe they buy German cars because they are good.

Is that also why they buy jaguars & range rovers?

45 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Nope.  Those are badge snobs too.  Not like German badge snobs, but J/LR buyers are badge snobs too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Those sell worse than any luxury car outside of Alfa-Maserati. 

If you want a car that performs, and actually works get a German car.  If you think breaking down all the time "builds character" then JLR and Alfa and Maserati are the way to go.

Saw a bright white Jaguar SUV with black wheels yesterday, parked.  I had to glance twice as I was presented with its rear end and I thought at first blink it was a Blazer RS, another sporty, low-roof utility vehicle with black wheels.

Telluride vs. XT6...

Back on target. XT6 "looks softer" inside, but that video comparison was GREAT. A lot of "hmm, Cadillac is..." but does it matter. There's nothing standout, design, interior, functionality, drivetrain, etc. in any form.

People buy crossovers no matter what (i.e. awful current Trax, and the outside market EcoSport, as examples), for base function. More space, more comfortable, same drive if not better than "cars", but also functionality.

XT6...looking at market, selling a Cadillac right now is not an easy job. Decent lease rates on XT5, so if they get a mid size customer in on one, they can make it work. All new XT4 that looks good but also does zero to standout, and ends up costing more than the XT5 for most real customers...but oh well. Escalade, awful. Current gen has never been what it should be, and it's not just the Navigator shaming it. It's unrefined, and then some.

Cars...done. XT6...2 years in, finally baked together properly with the 10 speed and further refinements so it doesn't clunk around as much or have the 8-speed transmission contact issues. Finally okay. No other cars, and CT4/CT5 pending.

But...XT6. Will people look? Yes. Will people buy? Yes. Is it a standout, absolutely not. But, it fills a gap, in size and class. And let's remember, most current day buyers never have a clue nor do they ask what engine it has, so "same powertrain as a Traverse" means nothing. The concern is "does my phone appear on the screen and does it steer and stop itself?"

BUT...too. The pricing is out of sorts. If it was "OMG I need this"...okay.

...but it's 2019, and so many products, especially the $33-46k Telluride exist, and if real reviews still recommend Telluride, brand means little, and customers are not all emblem focused. If it looks great, has great reviews, performs well, and "I LIKE IT!", good to go.

Thoughts...

The Escalade could be better but it sells well in its segment still and is easy money for GM.  That is the least of Cadillac’s worries. 

The issue for the XT6 is there are all new versions of Q7, GLE and X5 on sale, a new Aviator, and even the old MDX can out class an XT6.  

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

The Escalade could be better but it sells well in its segment still and is easy money for GM.  That is the least of Cadillac’s worries. 

The issue for the XT6 is there are all new versions of Q7, GLE and X5 on sale, a new Aviator, and even the old MDX can out class an XT6.  

When is the new Escalade coming out?  The competition is getting stiffer these days.

As for the XT6, it just came out.  What would you propose to make the XT4/XT5/XT6 outclass the competition?

3 hours ago, riviera74 said:

When is the new Escalade coming out?  The competition is getting stiffer these days.

As for the XT6, it just came out.  What would you propose to make the XT4/XT5/XT6 outclass the competition?

Escalade is a couple years away I think, maybe 2021 model.  

But XT6 is brand new and launched at the back of the pack, imagine when the XT6 is dated in 4 years.  

I would propose building the XT6 on Omega with the 3.0 TT V6 and Blackwing V8 as optional engines.  Any engine (or luxury feature) in a CT6 should be in an XT6.  I'd probably replace the base 3.6 V6 in the XT6 with the CT4-V turbo 4 also.  I'd probably do the same with the XT5.  XT4's segment you can put a pair of turbo 4's as the engine options and at that price no one will really care.

2nd proposal, Super Cruise standard on all Cadillacs.

3rd proposal, upgraded interiors, the XT6 interior is about Audi Q5 level, so they need upgrades across the board.  The Lincoln interiors out-class Cadillac as well.  In addition I would launch a Barritz trim (dump "platinum") that would be to Cadillac what Denali is to GMC, but on a greater level.  I'd expect an XT4 Barritz to be like what a CT6 Platinum or Escalade is now, and an XT5 Barritz to be better than any current Cadillac interior.

4th proposal, 6 year/75,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on all Cadillacs.  Big warranty worked to make Kia and Hyundai relevant, Cadillac could do the same.    

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Escalade is a couple years away I think, maybe 2021 model.  

But XT6 is brand new and launched at the back of the pack, imagine when the XT6 is dated in 4 years.  

I would propose building the XT6 on Omega with the 3.0 TT V6 and Blackwing V8 as optional engines.  Any engine (or luxury feature) in a CT6 should be in an XT6.  I'd probably replace the base 3.6 V6 in the XT6 with the CT4-V turbo 4 also.  I'd probably do the same with the XT5.  XT4's segment you can put a pair of turbo 4's as the engine options and at that price no one will really care.

2nd proposal, Super Cruise standard on all Cadillacs.

3rd proposal, upgraded interiors, the XT6 interior is about Audi Q5 level, so they need upgrades across the board.  The Lincoln interiors out-class Cadillac as well.  In addition I would launch a Barritz trim (dump "platinum") that would be to Cadillac what Denali is to GMC, but on a greater level.  I'd expect an XT4 Barritz to be like what a CT6 Platinum or Escalade is now, and an XT5 Barritz to be better than any current Cadillac interior.

4th proposal, 6 year/75,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on all Cadillacs.  Big warranty worked to make Kia and Hyundai relevant, Cadillac could do the same.    

Upgraded interiors AND longer bumper to bumper warranties: absolutely.  Cadillac should do both of those STAT.  Same with Super Cruise.

Biarritz trim rather than Platinum sounds like a great idea; making it the same trim level as Denali is to GMC is even better.

Ideally, more Cadillac vehicles would be based on Omega, but GM wants to save $$$$.  The CT6 should NOT be the only (or even major) Omega-based vehicle. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Biarritz trim rather than Platinum sounds like a great idea; making it the same trim level as Denali is to GMC is even better. 

I like that...'Platinum' doesn't seem very premium since a Ford F-series has such a trim.   I'd like to see some Cadillac heritage names make a come back.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I like that...'Platinum' doesn't seem very premium since a Ford F-series has such a trim.   I'd like to see some Cadillac heritage names make a come back.

Or Cadillacs just get names period...you know, as we go into 2020 with CTS now confusing everyone as CT5 and unrefined sports car with no space for legs, ATS, that no one bought...back again as a CT4 with a Silverado engine.

No. Just name them. Lincoln finally got it. I'd rather have a Nautilus than an MK...forgot. And after naming them, redesign everything.

Hopefully next gen Escalade goes back to refined and "oh my. WANT" vs. the current gen that's been an unrefined clunky mess.

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, caddycruiser said:

Or Cadillacs just get names period...you know, as we go into 2020 with CTS now confusing everyone as CT5 and unrefined sports car with no space for legs, ATS, that no one bought...back again as a CT4 with a Silverado engine.

No. Just name them. Lincoln finally got it. I'd rather have a Nautilus than an MK...forgot. And after naming them, redesign everything.

Hopefully next gen Escalade goes back to refined and "oh my. WANT" vs. the current gen that's been an unrefined clunky mess.

Names matter.  The Germans hate names because they are from Europe (VW aside) and they want to sell MB or BMW or Audi, not just one model vehicle.  Cadillac needs to get names back, and then invest in the cars/CUVs too STAT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The Nissan Altima has a "Platinum" trim.

6 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The Nissan Altima has a "Platinum" trim.

Yeah, its one of those trim names like 'Limited' that's been way overused to the point of having no meaning. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1