Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Winter preparations

Morrinn

Well now, I'm not sure whether I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes nothing. Having been around this forum for a while now, one question keeps popping up in my head... Is it really true that the majority of people in the USA actually don't fit their cars with any kind of snow tires in winter? Because it sure sounds that way after reading some of the posts here, especially ones where people are discussing rwd vs fwd. Someone actually said that fwd is better because noone has the money to switch to a different set of tires in the winter season!! (actually implying that fwd cars on summer tires in winter do anything else than plow straight into the next snow bank.) Now I'm obviously not talking about Miami residents here, but people further up in the northern regions of the country. To me, the very notion of driving through winter on standard summer tires (or, god forbid, low-profile ones even) just sounds like pure idiocy. Here in Iceland you'd be laughed out of town for suggesting it, and our Gulf-stream warmed behinds enjoy far less extreme colds than the northernmost parts of the USA. :blink: And as for the price of a set of either quality all seasons, or winter tires (or preferably, nailed ones) holding people back, just your laughably low gas prices would cover it in about 3 months if compared with ours. Here, gas is going for close to 7 dollars a gallon. :( But none of that matters of course, since I'm probably way off base here. American drivers are most likely more responsible than I could ever hope to be, and this is all a big misunderstanding on my part. Isn't it???

I dont put winter tires on my car. Didn't do it back when I had a RWD pickup with almost no weight in the bed either. Its a matter of knowing how to drive, some people are just worthless lemmings who believe that RWD+winter=sitting at red lights spinning tires because they did it once in their dad's 76 Caprice because they weren't paying attention during driver's ed.

I dont put winter tires on my car.  Didn't do it back when I had a RWD pickup with almost no weight in the bed either.  Its a matter of knowing how to drive, some people are just worthless lemmings who believe that RWD+winter=sitting at red lights spinning tires because they did it once in their dad's 76 Caprice because they weren't paying attention during driver's ed.

*chuckles*

Interesting spin, Satty ... I like it ;).

BTW, I don't put winter cars on my RWD 1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS. I do, however, make sure the antifreeze is good for cold weather and do some other odds'n'ends for it.

Cort, "Mr Road Trip" / soon2be ex-"Mr MC", 31swm/pig valve/pacer
MCfamily.models.HO.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
MC's future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

Ahh... maybe I sounded a bit arrogant - I'm sorry if I did, wasn't in the best of moods. But It still blows my mind that people actually don't see a problem with driving Camaro's in winter with low-profile tires fitted... (And rwd pickups drive like drunken cows when it's slippery, if you think that's ok handling you really should test the 4X4 ones).

And as far as winter tires not doing any good, according too the Quebec ministry of transport, in icy conditions they can shorten average braking distance by up to 25%... And that's when compared to all-season tires!!! We're not talking a couple of yards here.

But hey, to each his own (as long as you are not driving anywhere close to me). And driving on standard tires is at least guaranteed to be more interesting. :lol:

Where I am from back in Newfoundland I would say 80% of people drive with studded tires between december and april, there is some snow, but lots of salt and rain and with that combined winter driving is not all that bad. But here in Alberta things are really dumb, for 1 studded tires are illegal and they don't use salt. Not much snow but the roads are covered in a glassy ice from late november till march.. I don't get that at all.. Mostly all seasons up here!

But hey, to each his own (as long as you are not driving anywhere close to me). And driving on standard tires is at least guaranteed to be more interesting.

Um, only if you drive like a maniac in the snow. If you know your cars limits ... and acknowledge them in how you drive, things are just fine....

In general, I'm "nervous" driving next to/in front of/behind people that insist on going the speedlimit (or more) ... even when there is fresh snow and ice on the streets.....

I have never used snow tires in the 11 years I have been driving. I didnt even have that much or a problem with the RWD 1981 Caprice and 1979 Impala before switching to FWD with the Monte Carlo and now the AWD Equinox. The tires on the Equinox look like they are VERY capable in snow. The one time I did get to try it in a few inches of snow it worked VERY well. On the 1981 Bonneville, I dont drive that in the winter so I park it in the storage unit and start it and run it 15-20 minutes every week or 2. I wont be driving the 1984 Buick Park Avenue either so that will get stored and the battery removed with STA-BIL in the gasoline. The Bonneville will get STA-BIL also. Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

• 2 weeks later...

I dont put winter tires on my car.  Didn't do it back when I had a RWD pickup with almost no weight in the bed either.  Its a matter of knowing how to drive, some people are just worthless lemmings who believe that RWD+winter=sitting at red lights spinning tires because they did it once in their dad's 76 Caprice because they weren't paying attention during driver's ed.

[post="10748"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We need to chissel this on a piece of marble and put it up on a big slab in downtown Michigan! So I'm not the only one who bys '83 Firebirds and other V8 RWD cars for "winter beaters" in a cold and wintery climate huh? :)

NOS: I'm sure my LSD will help this winter too

Word of caution: I can not stress this enough. LSD can be like FWD in the winter... seems safer but it turns evil real quick! Instead of one wheel spinning and you car goign slowly FORWARD both light up and you're moving real quick... into a guardrail or tree! Be carefull. A Posi rear is NOT the best solution to poor road conditions. Snow tires and caution are. Sorry to preach but ask any old dog... this is a lesson learned by many a Camaro/ Firebird/ Mustang/ 442/ Chevelle/ GTO/ Skylark owner. Edited by Sixty8panther

DID Fly just call us/me a Yankee.... :huh: :lol:

• 5 weeks later...
He sure did though it was in a joking matter. If I cant do well with my AWD Equinox I am in bad shape. After a few old cars in winters the Equinox should be nothing.

He sure did though it was in a joking matter. If I cant do well with my AWD Equinox I am in bad shape. After a few old cars in winters the Equinox should be nothing.

[post="32810"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just don't get over confident. Awd/4wd gives you so much more forward grip in slippery weather, yet it is no different in stopping and turning. Just be careful with it.
It may sound crazy but I prefer FWD cars over 4wd trucks in bad weather. Even with a snowmobile in the back it still likes to slither out on the rear(with studs). I would like to try an SUV, everyone says they are the ultimate because of the better weight distribution.
Now on the winter tire issue. I use them and love them. They are noticeably better on ice and snow. They won't make a bad winter driver a good winter driver but they will make a good winter driver a little better. I've done both and I will pay the extra $600 for a good set of winter tires and steel rims. Edited by Cremazie

....after reading some of the posts here, especially ones where people are discussing rwd vs fwd. Someone actually said that fwd is better because noone has the money to switch to a different set of tires in the winter season!! (actually implying that fwd cars on summer tires in winter do anything else than plow straight into the next snow bank.)

[post="10725"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Me and you will get along nicely. :) This kind of mentality needs to be corrected on a national level.

NOw that I got rid of the Brougham I might buy a winter beater... I flipped through the Want Ad today and threre's a super cheap 80s Diesel Mercedes wiht 280K miles I'd love to pick up for the winter. :D Cheap on gas and a GAS to drive. I can just see myself ice racing that B!tch with studded tires. Boo-yeah!!!

NOw that I got rid of the Brougham I might buy a winter beater... I flipped through the Want Ad today and threre's a super cheap 80s Diesel Mercedes wiht 280K miles I'd love to pick up for the winter. :D Cheap on gas and a GAS to drive. I can just see myself ice racing that B!tch with studded tires. Boo-yeah!!!

[post="33111"][/post]

Ew.

Diesel Benzes smell, burn oil, and are slow as shit. Besides, isn't Diesel actually about $.15-40 more per gallon?

Also, please don't buy one of these...
Posted Image
...in addition to all of the above, they look like shit, too.

Actaually I don't like the styling of those as much as the previous 70s and early 80s ones. Little bit ugly in a cool kind of way. Many strange or fugly things about old school Mercedes Benz's are actually just a result of "form follow function" practicality. Like the self cleaning tail lights.

And besides, 50mpg in a mid size sedan with the ergonomics, safety and comofort of a Benz? How's that not a list of wining features? Diesel Benzs go 500,000+ in europe before they're retired. They never freekin die. Its rare when one gets junked and even then it's usually becasue the car is rusted beyond reason.

I have a Lebanese friend who told me guys take a bus or plane to Europe and buy a 10, 20 or 25 year old diesel benz and drive it all the way back to Lebanon. Usualy the car already has 300,000 or 400,000 Km (180/240K miles) on it and other than basic maintenance and replacemetn of wearable items it is driven without a problem for many more years. Wheel bearings, tie rods, clutches and brake pads are no big deal when your engine, trans & rear end will last 800,000 kilometers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

I'm not saying I'm in love with the styling but they are a great used car buy.... esp. for less than $1000 bucks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, those Diesel Benzes are tanks. Probably the last real 'Mercedes' Mercedes will ever make. Sure, they're rough around the edges with the gobs of crappy plastic trim and doofy rubber bumpers, but those are solid. Still, they're slow as shit. I know someone with an '84 and he loves it, but he readily admits its lousy on the speed.

I'm about to order some Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 tires along with some cheep steels since my old steels are bent to hell. Kind of a last minute thing since there's a snow storm advisory out for tonight (7in in high elevations) and I still have my low profile summer tires and 17" Rims on.

Fly: you nailed it. Fugly and ubber 80s but still a REAL benz. The one I'm going to take a look at in the next few days is an '83 turbo diesel wiht 280K miles. Te guy who's seling it is asking $980 but he seems pretty cool over the phone, we're both eastern european and he outright told me the price was negotiable. It's supposedly comsmetically cahellenged but in good mechanical shape. Needs nothing. Can't beat that deal. The only crappy thing is that it's an automatic. :( I'm just a bit bored and want a change for a while... in a year or less I'll sell the Benz and end up with a '87 Grand Prix or '81 Delta 88 or some other such weird car. Edited by Sixty8panther

Ew.

Diesel Benzes smell, burn oil, and are slow as crap. Besides, isn't Diesel actually about $.15-40 more per gallon?

Also, please don't buy one of these...

...in addition to all of the above, they look like crap, too.

[post="33116"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But you get further on a gallon of diesel then you do on a gallon of gasoline in the same car.

• 2 weeks later...