Jump to content
William Maley

Ford News: Rumorpile: Ford Plans On A New Lifted Wagon to Replace Three European Models

Recommended Posts

Ford is planning a dramatic change to their European lineup. Autocar reported yesterday that the automaker will be replacing the Mondeo (Fusion to us), Galaxy, and S-Max with a new "single crossover-style estate model" - think Subaru Outback.

Not many details are known about this new model. It is expected to use Ford's C2 platform which underpins the new Fiesta and Focus. A range of gas and diesel engines will be available, along with 48V mild-hybrid system. The new wagon is expected to arrive in early 2021 in Europe. Autocar notes that this model is expected to be sold in other markets such as North America.

While this model is quite different from three it will replace (a midsize sedan/hatchback/wagon and two vans), it is expected to outsell all of them. Last year, Ford only moved 50,000 Mondeos, 24,000 S-Maxs, and 12,000 Galaxy. Numbers according to Autocar that are too small to make any profit.

As for the U.S., the reason is likely due to Ford to possibly keep sedan buyers in the showroom. Last July, we reported that Ford was considering doing an "Outback competitor" with the Fusion name. 

Quote

Ford needs a way to keep their current sedan buyers returning their showroom after the Fusion sedan drops out. Analysis done by Kelly Blue Book revealed the less than half of Fusion owners are loyal to the brand. KBB also found that the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 were the most popular SUV models that Fusion owners would consider.

“Ford has a hard time moving people from their cars to SUVs,” said Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst with Autotrader.

Source: Autocar


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Strange that Fusion owners would consider a CR-V or RAV4, but not an Escape. 

I do hope the Fusion CrossSportXTouringEstate comes here.

Edited by Drew Dowdell
needed my tea
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Strange that Fusion owners would consider a CR-V or RAV4, but not an Escape. 

I do hope the Fusion CrossSportXTouringEstate comes here.

That is weird.  Why would they not look at an Escape or an Explorer?  Whatever happened to the Flex?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

That is weird.  Why would they not look at an Escape or an Explorer?  Whatever happened to the Flex?

Flex is still around apparently even though Taurus isn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Flex is still around apparently even though Taurus isn't. 

I think the Flex could sell in adequate numbers(enough to pay for itself) if it got a good update for the first time in awhile. It's one vehicle where the owners absolutely love them but a lot of people don't even think to look at them in the first place, for whatever reason.

They're almost minivan-like utility in the low entrance height and interior space but probably too wagon-like for people to look too hard into. 

The most recently updated ones look really good. If I needed the additional space, I would have given them a solid opportunity. My issue would have been wanting the 3.5TT and those are probably a little costly trims still. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I think the Flex could sell in adequate numbers(enough to pay for itself) if it got a good update for the first time in awhile. It's one vehicle where the owners absolutely love them but a lot of people don't even think to look at them in the first place, for whatever reason.

They're almost minivan-like utility in the low entrance height and interior space but probably too wagon-like for people to look too hard into. 

The most recently updated ones look really good. If I needed the additional space, I would have given them a solid opportunity. My issue would have been wanting the 3.5TT and those are probably a little costly trims still. 

I've had them as rentals a few times and they're great vehicles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I've had them as rentals a few times and they're great vehicles. 

How is the ride comparing to car/van/suv/cuv? It looks like it should ride more like a car but isn't it on the same platform the Explorer and Taurus were? I don't know if that means good or bad, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

How is the ride comparing to car/van/suv/cuv? It looks like it should ride more like a car but isn't it on the same platform the Explorer and Taurus were? I don't know if that means good or bad, lol. 

They ride like a car. Smooth and stable.  They're really just a Ford Taurus wagon, though never marketed as such.  The regular V6 version I had got reasonable mpgs for a 7 seater, above the EPA highway rating of 23.  The Explorer was a great driving and riding SUV as well.  I had one on a trip from Pitt to Syracuse NY to Edison NJ to Pitt and it was great.  The only thing a little wonky is the seating position, but I experience that in most Fords. I can never seem to get the seats low enough for my preference. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They ride like a car. Smooth and stable.  They're really just a Ford Taurus wagon, though never marketed as such.  The regular V6 version I had got reasonable mpgs for a 7 seater, above the EPA highway rating of 23.  The Explorer was a great driving and riding SUV as well.  I had one on a trip from Pitt to Syracuse NY to Edison NJ to Pitt and it was great.  The only thing a little wonky is the seating position, but I experience that in most Fords. I can never seem to get the seats low enough for my preference. 

Syracuse, eh? My family is from Utica, about 45 minutes east of Syracuse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I was just there for a night on that trip. The company I work for has an office there.  I don't go up there anymore though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Flex is still around apparently even though Taurus isn't. 

Had a new Flex as a rental for 2 weeks. Really loved the interior space, I could even sit comfy in the back. The hard part was just that, all the hard plastic on the interior. The Flex is a great little station wagon that really just needs a modern update as I believe it will continue to sell well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully for Ford's sake it has better luck selling vs the Outback here than the TourX has had.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I think the Flex could sell in adequate numbers(enough to pay for itself) if it got a good update for the first time in awhile. It's one vehicle where the owners absolutely love them but a lot of people don't even think to look at them in the first place, for whatever reason.

They're almost minivan-like utility in the low entrance height and interior space but probably too wagon-like for people to look too hard into. 

The most recently updated ones look really good. If I needed the additional space, I would have given them a solid opportunity. My issue would have been wanting the 3.5TT and those are probably a little costly trims still. 

Looks are why. In 2020 the flex would need better mpg numbers too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ccap41 said:

How is the ride comparing to car/van/suv/cuv? It looks like it should ride more like a car but isn't it on the same platform the Explorer and Taurus were? I don't know if that means good or bad, lol. 

I wouldn’t mind an Eco Boost Flex AWD in dark gray with the white roof. Very sharp look to it in the right trims. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

I wouldn’t mind an Eco Boost Flex AWD in dark gray with the white roof. Very sharp look to it in the right trims. 

Dark grey with white roof? I don't think I've seen that combo but it sounds sharp. I only really recall black roofs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Dark grey with white roof? I don't think I've seen that combo but it sounds sharp. I only really recall black roofs. 

Not quite the shade of gray I’m referring to but this is one with a white top. The white models with black tops were sharp as well. 

 

EAC8E013-34CF-4F0D-8940-BFD163B3DF48.jpeg

8620A4B0-975A-4913-A186-ABC383D7A9E6.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Not quite the shade of gray I’m referring to but this is one with a white top. The white models with black tops were sharp as well. 

 

EAC8E013-34CF-4F0D-8940-BFD163B3DF48.jpeg

8620A4B0-975A-4913-A186-ABC383D7A9E6.jpeg

I definitely liked the white with black but I didn't know they made a white top. The white on grey looks pretty sharp. I think I'd prefer a darker grey/silver though. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Looks like Ford may be canceling the Flex soon. 

I can understand this, even with a 36.8% increase in sales for Q2, being on track to sell only 25,000 a year is not a money maker I would bet. Course that could also be very different if Ford marketed the auto right. I never seen any marketing even when it came out years ago. It really amazes me that they build an auto and then leave it to the dealers to sell with no marketing. Yet we are all about the Truck and SUV Company Ford and GM are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I can understand this, even with a 36.8% increase in sales for Q2, being on track to sell only 25,000 a year is not a money maker I would bet. Course that could also be very different if Ford marketed the auto right. I never seen any marketing even when it came out years ago. It really amazes me that they build an auto and then leave it to the dealers to sell with no marketing. Yet we are all about the Truck and SUV Company Ford and GM are.

Keep in mind that the Flex used to share a platform with the Taurus (now dead) and Explorer (Now on a different platform). Now it only directly shares with the MKT... another vehicle on borrowed time.  There just isn't the business case to keep that line rolling. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Social Stream

  • Similar Content

    • By Drew Dowdell
      Infiniti today released a teaser image of an upcoming crossover coupe due to be shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance this year.  The QX55 will slot between the QX50 and QX60 in the lineup but will borrow heavily from the QX50 platform.  Not much is known about the crossover except that it will likely be a front-wheel drive based vehicle and feature Infiniti's new 2.0 liter variable compression engine. 
      Infiniti says the QX55 will be in dealerships in Summer of 2020.

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Infiniti today released a teaser image of an upcoming crossover coupe due to be shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance this year.  The QX55 will slot between the QX50 and QX60 in the lineup but will borrow heavily from the QX50 platform.  Not much is known about the crossover except that it will likely be a front-wheel drive based vehicle and feature Infiniti's new 2.0 liter variable compression engine. 
      Infiniti says the QX55 will be in dealerships in Summer of 2020.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford is acknowledging the trouble prone Ford Powershift transmission and is extending the warranties on them.  The 6-speed transmission is a dual clutch setup meant to increase fuel economy in Ford's smallest cars.  While a solid idea on paper, customers reported a number of problems with them including slippage, hesitations while accelerating, jerkiness through the gears, difficulty downshifting, and premature wear on the clutch packs. 
      The extended warranty will cover 2014 - 2016 model year Ford Focus, and 2014 - 2015 model year Ford Fiesta and will increase the warranty coverage of the clutch from five years/60,000 miles to seven years/100,000 miles.  Ford will also reimburse customers in this group who have already paid for clutch repairs out of pockets.  The transmission control module will also be warrantied to 10 years/150,000 miles. 
      In addition to that, there is a small group of customers (16%) who need a software update which Ford will provide for free. 
      Affected customers will receive a letter from Ford with instructions on how to proceed.

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford is acknowledging the trouble prone Ford Powershift transmission and is extending the warranties on them.  The 6-speed transmission is a dual clutch setup meant to increase fuel economy in Ford's smallest cars.  While a solid idea on paper, customers reported a number of problems with them including slippage, hesitations while accelerating, jerkiness through the gears, difficulty downshifting, and premature wear on the clutch packs. 
      The extended warranty will cover 2014 - 2016 model year Ford Focus, and 2014 - 2015 model year Ford Fiesta and will increase the warranty coverage of the clutch from five years/60,000 miles to seven years/100,000 miles.  Ford will also reimburse customers in this group who have already paid for clutch repairs out of pockets.  The transmission control module will also be warrantied to 10 years/150,000 miles. 
      In addition to that, there is a small group of customers (16%) who need a software update which Ford will provide for free. 
      Affected customers will receive a letter from Ford with instructions on how to proceed.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford and GM, the U.S.'s top two auto manufacturers are bracing themselves for the worst.  They have been running economic modeling to determin the steps they would take given a medium or severe recession in the US and across global markets.  General Motors has a stockpile of $18 billion in cash while Ford has $20 billion saved up.
      GM is relying on deferring non-essential capital expenditures and a shift in production to lower cost vehicles as part of its plan to save costs in the event of a a strong downturn.  Ford says is is evaluating its future moves. 
      Fears of a recession have plagued Wall St. most of 2019 while a trade war with China rages on.  Higher costs of materials due to tariffs is adding to the pain of weak product demand in the U.S., China, and Europe.  In Germany, Europe's biggest economy, growth shrank by 0.1 percent in Q2 2019 as trade conflicts and auto industry troubles weighed heavily on the economy.  Both exports and lagging demand at home have put a strain on German automakers already looking to slash costs. 
      Today, a strong signal that a recession is looming appeared as the 10-year treasury yield dropped below the 2-year treasury yield while do Dow Jones Industrial Average sank over 450 points.  
      Related:
      Honda Slowing Production, Cutting Shifts
      Nissan Profit Plunges 99%; 12,500 Job Cuts Eminent
      Ford Europe Laying Off Another 12,000
      Daimler Books First Quarterly Loss in Ten Years

      View full article
  • My Clubs

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...