Mercedez Benz News Daimler Books First Quarterly Loss in Ten Years

Drew Dowdell

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

They aren’t going to cancel it, and no one will have a better hyper car either. Won’t be until the 2030s when someone builds a better hyper car and it will probably be Mercedes that does it.

That is why they are the best, they keep pushing.  And “the best or nothing” wants the best Nürburgring lap time even though they say it isn’t about lap times, I am sure they want that record and they’ll beat the Aventador SVJ by a full minute and no one is touching that.

Whatever you have to tell yourself Barnum. 

From he collector perspective, which is where these hyper cars end up, it is about what was special for their time.  The F40 is a $2 million car now.  The McLaren F1 is like a $10 million car.  Each era has a fan base and each era has an important car.  20-30 years from now when people look back at AMG One they will remember how crazy Mercedes was to put an F1 power unit in a road car and how it was the most amazing and sought after car of the time.   Like we do today with an F40 or a 300SL or Ferrari 275 etc

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It isn't like F40's and 959's were ever driven much either though so that's kind of moot. 

I'd disagree on the styling. The list I wrote out all look pretty unique. I don't think you could really see them all lines up and have no clue what brand was what. The two most similar, imo, are the Koenigseggs and SSCs. I feel like the rest are all pretty unique. 

928 and 959 are the only two cars from Porsche that I love. The rest are just ok, great performance, but just ok to me. The style of those first two are awesome. Used to see Bill Gates drive one of his three various 959 to the crab shack in Kirkland. He loved them before the gov stopped letting the 959 in.

I have to laugh as I find some just love or hate the carbon fiber trim thing. To me, it depends on color and style of how it is incorporated as I can take it or leave it. I do like it on the Cadillac V series of auto's.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

From he collector perspective, which is where these hyper cars end up, it is about what was special for their time.  The F40 is a $2 million car now.  The McLaren F1 is like a $10 million car.  Each era has a fan base and each era has an important car.  20-30 years from now when people look back at AMG One they will remember how crazy Mercedes was to put an F1 power unit in a road car and how it was the most amazing and sought after car of the time.   Like we do today with an F40 or a 300SL or Ferrari 275 etc

We are no longer in an era of "a" car though. There are too many. Those past eras had those listed cars as completely stand-above-the-rest cars. Now there are 10 hyper-car-level-performance. 

And FWIW, collectors' perspective is total sh!t. Drive your cars. 

I know it was odd that Ford made people apply for their GTs but I love that they wanted their stuff driven and not just rolled into an underground garage and parked for the rest of the owners's life. 

Seeing people park cars with under 10 miles on them is infuriating as somebody who loves to drive and will likely never have the opportunity to drive anything special like what people park. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

We are no longer in an era of "a" car though. There are too many. Those past eras had those listed cars as completely stand-above-the-rest cars. Now there are 10 hyper-car-level-performance. 

And FWIW, collectors' perspective is total sh!t. Drive your cars. 

I know it was odd that Ford made people apply for their GTs but I love that they wanted their stuff driven and not just rolled into an underground garage and parked for the rest of the owners's life. 

Seeing people park cars with under 10 miles on them is infuriating as somebody who loves to drive and will likely never have the opportunity to drive anything special like what people park. 

This times a Million! Tired of seeing so called special auto's bought and parked in private collections and never seen on the streets. Makes sure to sell to people who will commit to driving them.

• Upvote 1