balthazar

August 2019 car spotter

Saw a dark gray Aston Martin Vanquish on a windy backroad yesterday, and went past a house with an interesting group of GM cars in the driveway--a really clean late 90s tan Cadillac Sedan de Ville, a bright red '04-06 GTO, a black Chevy SS,  and a modified '80s Regal--possibly a GN---in a custom bronze/gold paint job w/ cowl hood, black centered BBS wheels--very sharp. 

No other brand comes remotely close to having a more depressingly limited color palette than ferrari. Undoubtedly, this  '80s slug was repainted

IMG_0581.jpg

Picking up the wife at a friends house and this lovely Ford Fairlane 500 in mint condition was parked out front.

20190816_152540.jpg

20190816_152434.jpg

20190816_152448.jpg

20190816_152456.jpg

20190816_152514.jpg

20190816_152526.jpg

@balthazar I never have really understood if this was just a node to boating or if there was a real reason for the rear deck on either side of the spare tire. Enlighten me Yoda of all things old! 

‘57 Skyliner retractible hardtop, built ‘57-59. The horizontal, ribbed panels are just filler panels; pretty positive you can’t stand on them or they'd dent.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Picking up the wife at a friends house and this lovely Ford Fairlane 500 in mint condition was parked out front.

20190816_152514.jpg

@balthazar I never have really understood if this was just a node to boating or if there was a real reason for the rear deck on either side of the spare tire. Enlighten me Yoda of all things old! 

It's there to fill the gap between the bumper and body.  That's probably a modern aftermarket Continental kit.

Good day for old GM sightings...   saw a clean white early Fiero GT, a clean white mid 80s Cutlass Supreme 2dr (white 1/4 top and red interior),  a clean bronze early 80s Camaro Berlinetta, a clean black '67 Camaro, a clean yellow '75 Olds 88 convertible top down, tan interior...a couple out enjoying the beautiful Friday afternoon weather...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another weekend in the islands.  Saw this sharp 55 Chevy Bel Air convertible on Kelleys Island.  Also saw a sharp yellow Jeep Commando and a couple out to pasture 59-60 Ford pickups.  Saw a few tiny Suzuki Kei vans and crew cab pickups.  Beautiful evening sitting here waiting to drive on the ferry.  It’s refueling from an 80s Ford tanker truck in the old Sohio paint scheme.  Beautiful place.  

7A25420A-31F8-4475-8D20-4F9AC2F2B54A.jpeg

3D40E88B-B91B-43D9-BC0E-AB6401DE461F.jpeg

4E7367D3-9712-428F-8453-A939BA58F4AC.jpeg

Driving out of Marblehead yesterday evening after the ferry ride saw a dark blue Bentley Mulsanne and a dark red Lambo Aventador SV...seemed out of place in a small Ohio lakeside town. 

Edited by Robert Hall

Gotta love Toyota Quality of this Avalon. Yes clearly.backed into.something but the hanging headliner with dropping ceiling handle just say Quality,  nope!

20190818_201231.jpg

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

Gotta love Toyota Quality of this Avalon. Yes clearly.backed into.something but the hanging headliner with dropping ceiling handle just say Quality,  nope!

That's like a 15yr old worn out car, though.    Not worth fixing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

That's like a 15yr old worn out car, though.    Not worth fixing. 

My 1994 GMC SLE Suburban has no Dropping headliner and much older than that Toyoter! :P

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

My 1994 GMC SLE Suburban has no Dropping headliner and much older than that Toyoter! :P

Droopy headliners was a GM thing in the late 70s and throughout the 80s IIRC.   I've never had a vehicle w/ that issue. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I haven't seen one of these on the road in quite a while, walked by this on the way to the metro during family travels this month waiting for some love (probably a lot of them around in that state).

IMG_20190805_091736.jpg

Edited by frogger
  • Upvote 1

Unable to snap a pic, but lovely white Buick Electra 225 convertible. Very cool, would love that big sedan!

Lovely looking standard cab pickup at the gas station. So rare to see them like this.

20190824_081449.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another beautiful summer weekend.  Cool and sunny.  Another trip to the islands, went to Put-in-Bay (South Bass Island) yesterday.  Lake Erie was choppy on the ferry crossing, lots of spray on the deck.    Saw this neat Eldorado convertible w/ a rumble seat.    Also saw a white and gray Rolls Royce Wraith coupe on the freeway..what a beast.

I've read have a Sunday old car cruise around the island every Sunday during the summer...will have to come back on a Sunday and check out the cruise and the car museum also. Had lunch at The Keys---a Florida Keys-themed bar...pretty good Mojito and Cuban sandwich.  Not sure how it started, but Put-in-Bay markets itself as the Key West of Ohio...lots of bars and a couple wineries.   Fun place...pics of the War of 1812 Perrys Monument, a marker outside The Keys that is reminiscent of the one in Key West, and a pic from the ferry heading back to the mainland yesterday afternoon...I could spend all summer in the islands.

IMG-2539.JPG

IMG-2555.JPG

IMG-2556.JPG

IMG-2564.JPG

IMG-2576.JPG

Edited by Robert Hall

Someone in my neighborhood really likes 2019 Cherokees.   3 of em. 

F24F6C30-CBC2-441D-9DBE-2F4BF1BF0C45.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

• ‘69 Road Runner, burnt copper, hunkered & rumblin loud

• one of those Italian Firebird 488s

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1

Saw this beauty while filling up the family Durango.

20190831_190912.jpg

9 hours ago, dfelt said:

Saw this beauty while filling up the family Durango.

20190831_190912.jpg

Nice T-Bird...my brother had a white '59  w/ red interior back around 1975-6..I remember riding in it as a kid.  He was working at a Ford dealer, I remember visiting him at the dealer w/ my Mom and it was parked next to a new dark blue '76 T-Bird...

This one appears to be a '60 w/ a '59 grille.  (that rear quarter trim was a '60 detail).

Edited by Robert Hall

Waiting at a red light when a new Regal, dark red, passed by perpendicularly.  Was a shock because I haven't seen one on the road in who knows how long.  Sad commentary on the state of the automotive world.  Seems like a very useful, elegant car.

Caught a GMC Sierra 1500 C3 pulling onto the highway.  This was the Sierra Denali before they started making Sierra Denalis. Same color as this promo photo

autowp.ru_gmc_sierra_c3_extended_cab_7.jpg

And for short shopping trip (7 miles each way) I spotted 4 Cadillac CT6es.  Not bad for a car that supposedly doesn't sell.  Yet they taunt me. 

Took the wife out for breakfast and was behind a brand new Chevrolet Spark, no plate yet, just the paper in the window. They braked and my wife asks me if the lights were supposed to do that.

Give Chevy Kudos for a nice looking Subcompact auto, sadly, left brake light came on before right side and cyclops LED lights which then came on like twinkling xmas lights before a steady red light.

If that is the way they are building them, no wonder GM cannot build a competitive subcompact. the electrical sucks.

Lot of spottiness out there; too many cars with automatic lights blasting down nighttime highways with all lights out or no functional brake lights. I swear its gotten worse, not better.

• Upvote 1