Jump to content
Drew Dowdell

Ram News: Ram 1500 Classic to Live On

Recommended Posts

The Ram Classic could live on indefinitely as long as it make business sense says FCA CEO Michael Manley.  At an investors meeting, Manley suggested that it might even get an update. Ram recently introduced a new Warlock package on the 1500 Classic, indicating their willingness to invest in the aging platform.

Ram currently doesn't have a mid-size offering in its stable, and without one on the horizon, the Ram 1500 Classic fills the niche of a lower priced truck.  The base Tradesman model rings up at $29,340 and can be configured all the way up to a Big Horn with a 5.7 liter Hemi V8 at $46,240. That contrasts with the new Ram 1500 which starts at $35,135.

One thing keeping the Classic around has done is allowed the RAM to creep ahead of the Chevrolet Silverado in the truck sales race, moving to the number two spot in market share for this class of truck. 

 


View full article

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even a decade old, it's still a good looking design compared to GM and Ford's overwrought uglies, IMO...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Even a decade old, it's still a good looking design compared to GM and Ford's overwrought uglies, IMO...

So true, would take this over the Chevrolet or Ford current look, I do like the current GMC though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it has aged well enough they could and probably should keep it around for a couple more years and maybe even drop the price here and there in the next couple of years to fill that mid-size void even better. If they could do that they would make buying a mid-size almost idiotic when a Ram 1500 could be bought for almost the same price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RAM still needs a midsize pickup because not everyone wants or needs a full sized pickup truck, regardless of price.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Jeep Gladiator.

It's premium priced w/ a small bed, though..they need a mainstream midsizer like the Colorado or Ranger. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ram is too big

Gladiator has too small of a bed

Let's try and fill every little niche and see how long it takes to start cutting products because they're cut too thin. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

It's premium priced w/ a small bed, though..they need a mainstream midsizer like the Colorado or Ranger. 

I would question that the mid size market needs full size beds. When looking at what the bulk of the beds being bought on mid size trucks, Jeep Gladiator even being a premium mid size truck with the smallest bed will and should do well in sales.

I think the 6' or 5'6" beds will be the bulk of sales especially on the crewcab models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ram is too big

Gladiator has too small of a bed

Let's try and fill every little niche and see how long it takes to start cutting products because they're cut too thin. 

:lol: Sounds like the german brands you speak of. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is definitely a need for a midsize RAM pickup along the lines of a Colorado or Ranger. They should probably start with the Gladiator frame as a base. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

:lol: Sounds like the german brands you speak of. :P 

You read my mind. That was 100% what I was thinking. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there is a need for it as long the there is a Ram 1500 Classic. There are probably enough incentives on the Classic that there is only like $1000 difference in a Ranger(with little to no incentives) for a similarly equipped Ram 1500. 

XLT Ranger w/ 4WD and crew cab: $34,295

Express 1500 Classic w/ 4WD and quad cab: $37,345

The 1500 is showing rebates/incentives for a final price of $34,540 before even meeting a dealership. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think there is a need for it as long the there is a Ram 1500 Classic. There are probably enough incentives on the Classic that there is only like $1000 difference in a Ranger(with little to no incentives) for a similarly equipped Ram 1500. 

XLT Ranger w/ 4WD and crew cab: $34,295

Express 1500 Classic w/ 4WD and quad cab: $37,345

The 1500 is showing rebates/incentives for a final price of $34,540 before even meeting a dealership. 

There are people who are limited by the size of vehicle they can have or don't want a truck that large. They can be pretty cumbersome to roll around a city. That's where a mid-size truck would come in. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that. I just don't think, if they're on the same lot, there are enough of those people strictly hampered by size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I know that. I just don't think, if they're on the same lot, there are enough of those people strictly hampered by size. 

Uh... The Tacoma, Colorado, Canyon, Ranger, Frontier have a different take on that. The 5 of them have sold 275,515 as of the half year report.  It's not as big as the big trucks, no, but it's still nothing to sneeze at. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

RAM still needs a midsize pickup because not everyone wants or needs a full sized pickup truck, regardless of price.

That said- the current Colorado is the same size as a Silverado from the ‘90s- its not like its anywhere near S-10 size anymore. This adage is commonly repeated, yet I question if theres really that many people who couldnt handle a Silverado other than ‘don’t want to’ (as opposed to ‘inability’).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is why i drive a 25 year old s10. Regular cab 6 foot bed is all the truck i need.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Uh... The Tacoma, Colorado, Canyon, Ranger, Frontier have a different take on that. The 5 of them have sold 275,515 as of the half year report.  It's not as big as the big trucks, no, but it's still nothing to sneeze at. 

You're excluding the fact that, in this case, there would also be a half ton priced almost exactly the same on the same lot.

Those you just listed all have half tons priced like "regular" half tons on the same lot. Ram would have two trucks priced very very similarly and one is small and one is big. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ccap41 said:

You're excluding the fact that, in this case, there would also be a half ton priced almost exactly the same on the same lot.

Those you just listed all have half tons priced like "regular" half tons on the same lot. Ram would have two trucks priced very very similarly and one is small and one is big. 

I don't think we're following each other.  The Classic would get canceled in favor of a true mid-size truck.  The Colorado starts as low as $22k and no half-ton comes close to that. I would expect a base Ram mid-size (lets call it a Dakota) to be priced accordingly. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balthazar said:

That said- the current Colorado is the same size as a Silverado from the ‘90s- its not like its anywhere near S-10 size anymore. This adage is commonly repeated, yet I question if theres really that many people who couldnt handle a Silverado other than ‘don’t want to’ (as opposed to ‘inability’).

I say there are PLENTY of people who are in the inability  camp that drive full size pickups that are fairly new and beat to hell as they cannot seem to avoid hitting things, opening doors and smacking things and rubbing against the curb and my all time favorite observation is the plethora of Morons that cannot seem to PARK said full size pickups in a parking spot.

Wish the auto companies would give the trucks better turning radius too while I am on my soapbox.

14 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't think we're following each other.  The Classic would get canceled in favor of a true mid-size truck.  The Colorado starts as low as $22k and no half-ton comes close to that. I would expect a base Ram mid-size (lets call it a Dakota) to be priced accordingly. 

Remember when Toyota advertised on their 1/2 ton to 1 ton mini pickup trucks to show that you did not need a full size to do the job. Those trucks sold big time.

Bet GM could gain additional sales if they did a 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton mid size pickup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think there is a need for it as long the there is a Ram 1500 Classic.

This is what I said that you responded to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't think we're following each other.  The Classic would get canceled in favor of a true mid-size truck.  The Colorado starts as low as $22k and no half-ton comes close to that. I would expect a base Ram mid-size (lets call it a Dakota) to be priced accordingly. 

Read above quote.

The 22k Colorado is a fleet truck and you know that.. 

That is why when I price matched both trucks I went up one trim level to the majority bought trims. 

You go up one trim package and add 4WD and that 22k Colorado is 32k just like that(with the 3.6 because that 2.5 is garbage).

A 2.5 Colorado that isn't in work truck guise is like the mystical 2.0T CT6. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Read above quote.

The 22k Colorado is a fleet truck and you know that.. 

That is why when I price matched both trucks I went up one trim level to the majority bought trims. 

You go up one trim package and add 4WD and that 22k Colorado is 32k just like that(with the 3.6 because that 2.5 is garbage).

A 2.5 Colorado that isn't in work truck guise is like the mystical 2.0T CT6. 

 

The same thought process applies to the Ram Classic.  At the under $30k mark, all you're getting is a 4x2 Tradesman single cab with the V6. Start adding the stuff you added and you're up over $36k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, for pretty dang close to the same money, you get a 1500 Classic or a mid-sizer. 

I showed you the Ranger/1500 Classic comparison above. w/o incentives, $34.3 vs $37.4. 

You know damn well if you add the 5.7 to that for $2000 the dealers will do the whole, "for only $33 a month you can get the V8." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Social Stream

  • Similar Content

    • By Drew Dowdell
      Jaguar Land Rover has announced a temporary halt in production in November as the threat of disruption from a No-Deal Brexit looms.  BMW and Toyota have already announced plans for temporary work stoppages at their UK factories. All four of JLR's UK factories are affected. 
      Although No-Deal Brexit is still not a certainty. Manufacturers like JLR have to plan for the worst.  JLR uses 20 million parts a day and needs to have those parts available at just the right time. 
      Toyota will be stopping production of the Corolla Hatchback and Avensis on November 1st. BMW is planning on stopping Mini production in early November, but Rolls-Royce and BMW engine plants are expected to continue production. 
       
      View full article
       
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Jaguar Land Rover has announced a temporary halt in production in November as the threat of disruption from a No-Deal Brexit looms.  BMW and Toyota have already announced plans for temporary work stoppages at their UK factories. All four of JLR's UK factories are affected. 
      Although No-Deal Brexit is still not a certainty. Manufacturers like JLR have to plan for the worst.  JLR uses 20 million parts a day and needs to have those parts available at just the right time. 
      Toyota will be stopping production of the Corolla Hatchback and Avensis on November 1st. BMW is planning on stopping Mini production in early November, but Rolls-Royce and BMW engine plants are expected to continue production. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      We reported back in April that the Toyota Tundra and Toyota Tacoma would be consolidated to a single modular platform for their respective next generations. Now Toyota is making a $391 million dollar investment into its San Antonio production line to help smooth the way.  The investment is not expected to create any new permanent jobs. 
      The new platform, internally called F1, will first appear in the next generation Tundra expected in 2021 and eventually spread to all of Toyota's pickups worldwide.  Tacoma will move to the F1 platform in 2023 or 2024. The new platform will be capable of electrification. One of the engines rumored for the Tundra is a Twin-Turbo V6 Hybrid with 450 hp and 500 lb.-ft of torque
      The Tundra is the oldest full-size pickup on the market today, first debuting in 2007 with the last major update done in 2014. 

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      We reported back in April that the Toyota Tundra and Toyota Tacoma would be consolidated to a single modular platform for their respective next generations. Now Toyota is making a $391 million dollar investment into its San Antonio production line to help smooth the way.  The investment is not expected to create any new permanent jobs. 
      The new platform, internally called F1, will first appear in the next generation Tundra expected in 2021 and eventually spread to all of Toyota's pickups worldwide.  Tacoma will move to the F1 platform in 2023 or 2024. The new platform will be capable of electrification. One of the engines rumored for the Tundra is a Twin-Turbo V6 Hybrid with 450 hp and 500 lb.-ft of torque
      The Tundra is the oldest full-size pickup on the market today, first debuting in 2007 with the last major update done in 2014. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Polestar has opened their factory in Chengdu, China to begin production of the Polestar 1.  The factory was designed to achieve a Gold status LEED certification.
      The Polestar 1 is a luxury hybrid coupe that boasts over 600 horsepower and 1,000 nm (738 lb-ft) of torque and an electric only range of 93 miles. It is a limited production run of 500 vehicles per year and most of the early allocations are sold out. 
      One other announcement came with the factory press release.  Polestar has filed for and received their World Manufacturing Identifier, basically their character in the VIN that identifies them.  This means that Polestar manufactured vehicles will not have a Volvo VIN but a Polestar VIN instead.  Polestar will still apply their performance technology know-how to higher performance Volvos. 

      View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...