Drew Dowdell

VW News: Forbidden Fruit: Volkswagen T-Roc Cabriolet

Volkswagen has taken the wraps off the 2020 T-Roc Cabriolet ahead of the Frankfurt International Auto Show in September. Volkswagen says the T-Roc Cabriolet offers just the right combination of SUV flexibility and the open air experience of a convertible. The soft top opens in just 9 seconds, can open or close while the car is in motion up to 18.6 mph (30 km/h), and locks or unlocks electrically. 

On the safety front, the T-Roc Cabrio has roll-over protection. The system can detect a roll-over and the system springs upwards just behind the rear headrests. The windshield frame is also reinforced.

It comes with an optional digital cockpit that has an "Always-On" connectivity to the internet and Volkswagen services.

Two engines are available, a 1.0 three-cylinder engine with 113 horsepower or a 148 horsepower 1.5 liter four-cylinder. A 6-speed manual is standard on both engines while the more powerful engine also has a 7-speed DCT available as an option. 

Launching in Spring of 2020, the T-Roc Cabriolet remains Forbidden Fruit in the U.S. like its hard top brother. Volkswagen calls the vehicle in the pictures a "near-production" concept car, so expect some changes between now and launch. 

Related:
Volkswagen: No T-Roc For America, But We're Working On Something

View full article

• Upvote 1

Neat...kind of a budget Evoque cabriolet.     Not sure how big the market for a crossover cabrio is... but, I like seeing offbeat stuff like this. 

• Upvote 2

I don't hate it... but why so weak on the power? The thing has got to be heavy for its size.

Cute cuv for small people who want a small auto. Have to agree with @Drew Dowdell as the power seems anemic for the auto.

Posted (edited)

Sorta kinda a replacement for the late Beetle and Eos cabriolets.   Those were neat cars...I can see the appeal of such a convertible...not a performance car, but a cruiser..saw a brown Eos on the ferry out to Kelleys Island last Saturday..on a sunny, 75 degree summer day it could be fun.   

Edited by Robert Hall

21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Sorta kinda a replacement for the late Beetle and Eos cabriolets.   Those were neat cars...I can see the appeal of such a convertible...not a performance car, but a cruiser..saw a brown Eos on the ferry out to Kelleys Island last Saturday..on a sunny, 75 degree summer day it could be fun.   

As one that has lived in the sun but after skin cancer and a rebuild of my nose, now uses hats heavily and prefers to stay out of the sun. Pass on this convertible.

• Upvote 1

I predict 1,000,000 sales year 1, because Crossover Convertible!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

No. Just no. 

“Convertible SUV” is an automotive oxymoron. 

The Wrangler does well in this niche.  But I like the idea of a convertible SUV w/ a power top.   A 2dr Grand Cherokee cabrio would be sweet...

25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The Wrangler does well in this niche.  But I like the idea of a convertible SUV w/ a power top.   A 2dr Grand Cherokee cabrio would be sweet...

The Wrangler is an exception to the rule. It was built as a convertible from day one as a two door. Crap like the Murano, the Evoque, and now this hideous thing look absolutely hideous. It adds unnecessary weight to already underpowered CUVs/SUVs and reduces the biggest selling point of them, cargo room. Convertibles belong on two door cars and two door cars alone (Wrangler not withstanding).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

No. Just no. 

“Convertible SUV” is an automotive oxymoron. 

What was that about a moron?  :smilewide:

06-28-2006 10;13;18PM.jpg

The T-Roc cabrio HAD to be built.  From the original Beetle, up through the Rabbit and Golf cabrios... this is the quintessential "college girl" car.  I can see a lot of upper middle class moms reliving their yutes and getting one for themselves and their daughters.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

The T-Roc cabrio HAD to be built.  From the original Beetle, up through the Rabbit and Golf cabrios... this is the quintessential "college girl" car.  I can see a lot of upper middle class moms reliving their yutes and getting one for themselves and their daughters.

Big damn deal blu. Again, exception to the rule and quite honestly, that K-5 doesn’t pull it off that well either but at least the top doesn’t eat the cargo space, which if you actually READ my follow up post, you’d see why I think the crap made in the last decade or so are perfect examples of absolute waste. The tops retract into the back of these things thus killing the otherwise open and taller entry for cargo. Add in the extra weight and puny engines carrying them, and you have the perfect recipe of waste. That’s my point since you didn’t bother to read or understand my other posts regarding these monstrosities. 

Oh and those old K-5 drop tops might have been the thing back then but when people realized they liked being dry with the top up in the rain, they fell by the wayside. An old friend of mine had one years ago and it was a leak monster. 

Who’s the moron now 😎?

Edited by surreal1272
  • Upvote 1

I think the T-Roc looks good, I don't know how a convertible will sell, but why not, no one else makes cheap convertibles anymore, other than a Miata, maybe those Mustang and Camaro in there, but that is about it for convertibles under $40k.

34 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I think the T-Roc looks good, I don't know how a convertible will sell, but why not, no one else makes cheap convertibles anymore, other than a Miata, maybe those Mustang and Camaro in there, but that is about it for convertibles under $40k.

Convertibles have had a hard time selling in the USA for the better part of a decade.  One more will not move the sales needle anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Convertibles have had a hard time selling in the USA for the better part of a decade.  One more will not move the sales needle anytime soon.

Maybe because those convertibles weren't crossovers.  People want crossovers.

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Want Crossovers yes, convertible on top of the crossover, I doubt it.

• Upvote 2

Wait... whaaaat???

c7386f62220c081780915e2ecebd20ac.jpg

• Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Wait... whaaaat???

Wow! You only had to go back more than fifty years to show the last time trucks had drop tops. How many years did those last and why did they stop selling them? Oh that’s right. I already answered that smart ass. 

See the difference in what I’m talking and whatever point you’re trying to make? Do I need to get some crayons and draw it out for you? 

07AD0884-624B-4AB8-A724-5829423A6CEF.jpeg

CCBDCFB4-3AB7-4067-9DCE-F01ECC9B8278.jpeg

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Wow! You only had to go back more than fifty years to show the last time trucks had drop tops. How many years did those last and why did they stop selling them? Oh that’s right. I already answered that smart ass. 

And the Broncos, Scouts, Ramchargers, Blazers and Jimmies didn't even have normal convertible tops but primitive tops that snapped on and had to be manually removed.    Very different from a proper power folding top like the Murano CC, Evoque, or T-Roc have...

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, smk4565 said:

No one bought the Murano or the Evoque and with good reason. They are useless in convertible form. 

Just now, Robert Hall said:

And the Broncos, Scouts, Ramchargers, Blazers and Jimmies didn't even have normal convertible tops but primitive tops that snapped on and had to be manually removed.    Very different from a proper power folding top like the Murano CC, Evoque, or T-Roc have...

Exactly. In this day and age of “safety first”, those things wouldn’t even be allowed on the road today as new models. There was also the issue of what to do with certain tops and if you had the hard vinyl tops (that were on the old 80s model K5s and Broncos), then there was the issue of leaving them at home if you want to drive topless and praying to god that it didn’t rain on you while you were out and about or in a store. It’s simple logic why those failed and it’s even simpler logic why they don’t work in their current form today but some oxymorons have to troll just for the sake of trolling I guess. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

There was also the issue of what to do with certain tops and if you had the hard vinyl tops (that were on the old 80s model K5s and Broncos), then there was the issue of leaving them at home if you want to drive topless and praying to god that it didn’t rain on you while you were out and about or in a store.  

Yet somehow the Wrangler continues to succeed with the primitive approach and removable tops.  Sounds like the new Bronco may have a version with such a configuration.  Will be interesting to see if it works for them. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Robert Hall said:

Yet somehow the Wrangler continues to succeed with the primitive approach and removable tops.  Sounds like the new Bronco may have a version with such a configuration.  Will be interesting to see if it works for them. 

Like I said yesterday though, the Wrangler was a top optional truck from the start and actually ended up with better rollover protection than those rolling death traps of the sixties. Everyone else has tried to copy it and failed miserably. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

See the difference in what I’m talking and whatever point you’re trying to make? Do I need to get some crayons and draw it out for you? 

07AD0884-624B-4AB8-A724-5829423A6CEF.jpeg

CCBDCFB4-3AB7-4067-9DCE-F01ECC9B8278.jpeg

🤮 for those autos

• Upvote 2

These newer convertibles are CUV, not SUV surreal.  Get your nomenclature straight.  Do I have to quote you again in crayon?

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

🤮 for those autos

You and me both brother. Burn both with a fire, preferably thermonuclear 

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

These newer convertibles are CUV, not SUV surreal.  Get your nomenclature straight.  Do I have to quote you again in crayon?

I love it when you talk rough....

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Wait... whaaaat???

Even as a Ford hater, comparing this Volkswagen pig to a nice vintage Ford is a form of blasphemy. 

23 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Lard butted women with a lard butted car....women with over-sized glutes celebrating their yutes....has a nice ring to it. 

• Haha 3